Liebherr: Players not for sale

trousers

Jai27

I appreciate the comments re various opinions but when there are those that deliberately do it to wind people up on this forum , then that's a different matter .

Not sure if you mean me when stating that, but I'm genuinely just raising a few points that came to mind. Not trying to antagonize anyone.

On another note, sorry to hear about your girlfriend. If she turned down a free Saints ticket then maybe it wasn't meant to be ;)

BBC Solent Sport‏@solentsport

#saintsfc Southampton chairman Katharina Liebherr says players not for sale http://bbc.in/Lf8ujv

From Twitter a few mins ago.

Shouldn't it be ChairLady/Woman/Person rather than Chairman?

Not and attempt to stir up any jibes about her looks, so please don't bother.

It seems all reports keep referring to her as Chairman, maybe that is the correct term to use, but seems strange to me.

Meanwhile, Manager staying, no players leaving .... Crisis what Crisis?

Sure there will be plenty of ups and downs on the Good Ship SS Southampton over the next few weeks .... when isn't there!!

BBC Solent Sport‏@solentsport

#saintsfc Southampton chairman Katharina Liebherr says players not for sale http://bbc.in/Lf8ujv

From Twitter a few mins ago.

Shouldn't it be ChairLady/Woman/Person rather than Chairman?

Not and attempt to stir up any jibes about her looks, so please don't bother.

It seems all reports keep referring to her as Chairman, maybe that is the correct term to use, but seems strange to me.

Meanwhile, Manager staying, no players leaving .... Crisis what Crisis?

Sure there will be plenty of ups and downs on the Good Ship SS Southampton over the next few weeks .... when isn't there!!

'Chairman' is gender neutral and in my view is the correct word. Much better than 'chair' which I though was something you sat on.

Can't ask for more than that really.

Well you could if you want to argue semantics, "The club has no plans to sell any players during the January window" doesn't actually say no player will be sold if the right offer came along. It's only Mauricio who says that no player he wants to stay will leave.

Well you could if you want to argue semantics, "The club has no plans to sell any players during the January window" doesn't actually say no player will be sold if the right offer came along. It's only Mauricio who says that no player he wants to stay will leave.

She can't really say that because an unbelievable no brainer offer may come in. As it could have under NC.

She can't really say that because an unbelievable no brainer offer may come in. As it could have under NC.

So then who decides, Mauricio was clear about it yesterday, only with his consent and he won't be giving that for anyone he wants to keep.

All that the Chairperson's statement says to me is "don't come round waving beer-mats and bottle tops looking for bargains"

So then who decides, Mauricio was clear about it yesterday, only with his consent and he won't be giving that for anyone he wants to keep.

All that the Chairperson's statement says to me is "don't come round waving beer-mats and bottle tops looking for bargains"

If someone offers massive money for a player then they will go. MP knows that, it would have been the same under Cortese.

NC would have taken 7 or 8m for Lambert for example.

She is saying there won't be a firesale and right now they don't plan to sell, but the plan might change if they got a huge offer. Same as at most clubs. Utd don't plan to sell Rooney, but I bet they would for 80m.

The statement is as much as we could possibly hope for yet the usual suspects on here disregard it and argue semantics. Typical. Enjoy believing we are in meltdown lads.

But it's not as much as we could possibly hope for is it?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/transfer-news-southampton-owner-vows-no-players-including-luke-shaw-adam-lallana-and-rickie-lambert-will-be-sold-this-month-9067540.html

Katharina Liebherr, the owner of Southampton who has installed herself as non-executive chairman in the wake of Nicola Cortese’s departure, has pledged not to sell players during the current transfer window. In a statement issued through a London PR company she said: “The club has no plans to sell any of the squad during the January transfer window. The manager and the team have my full support.”

Well for journalists who can presumably grasp the English language quite well you'd have to wonder how they've converted "no plans to sell players" into pledging not to sell players. They are not one and the same thing. No plans just means no active schemes to sell players it doesn't mean they won't. Then again as we're dealing with a Swiss national perhaps they don't realise that. What she needs to say is No player that the manager seeks to retain will be sold in this transfer window, now that's a statement of intent not a wishy washy no plans etc.

Ultimately if we don't get a statement about whether KL intends to sell the club then it probably means she does want to sell. Would be a shame but there you go - it's not like she chose to own us. I guess she won't be rushed and hopefully will get a decent buyer in if it happens. Would be interesting to hear exactly what happened to cause this chain of events but doubt we'll ever really know.

That's a bit like Life of Brian,

'Only the true son of God denies his divinity'

'What, well what chance does that give me. Alright then, I am the messiah'

'He is the messiah'

Does this mean we're keeping Fox, Jos and Gazzaniga? Does she know NOTHING about football??

No-one would want to actually buy any of those anyway, best we can hope for there is some very long loan periods, say 2 years or so. Anyway players not being loaned out isn't covered anywhere in the statement.

She may not be " football " but as owner of a 3 billion (whatevers £? $?) organisation, she surely knows how to handle things in a business-like manner.

we have no proof of her personal wealth, none whatsoever. The Mali group has been reduced to virtually nothing, all sold and liquidated. Cortese ran it all of late anyway.

]Not much of a statement[/b] but ok for the time being.

Let's see where we are come February. Would be nice if she came out with a proper statement of her plans though, and why Cortese decided to leave.

" not much of a statement " ???? How many paragraphs do you need ? What else should she have said that isn't stated here ?

When she appoints a successor to Cortese, he'll have the responsibility, and start quoting future plans.

I don't see her being an interfering type of " hands on" owner. Should we suddenly be re-named Southampton Lions ?:lol: I don't think so.

...That's why she'll employ a top man for the task and leave it to him. ( Cortese obviously wanted to run the show / take over control.. and she wasn't prepared to let him).

Edited by david in sweden

I expected her to say absolutely nothing. I hoped she would outline her intentions for the club.

Why should she have to do that? She has owned the club for a while and from her perspective all that has happened is that one of her employees has resigned and she is now seeking a replacement. She has told us of the resignation and the search for a successor. All this about her wanting to sell is pure speculation. Unless of course, you expect her to update us on her plans on a weekly basis?

If you were expecting nothing then a statement that there are no plans to sell any players this window must have come as a nice surprise. Wouldn't you agree?

we have no proof of her personal wealth, none whatsoever.

The Mali group has been reduced to virtually nothing, all sold and liquidated. Cortese ran it all of late anyway.

....well if it has " all been sold ", then I'm sure she must have some money in her account. The extent of the product area that Markus' company served was very exclusive and expensive.

Exactly what I said; "No player that the manager wishes to retain will be sold or loaned out in this transfer window". That's a statement of intent.

When exactly have you ever heard of any club say that? Manchester United frequently stated that Cristiano Ronaldo would not be sold but they sold him when an offer they couldn't refuse came along, same with Spurs and Gareth Bale.

Even if KL had used the words that you quote then it wouldn't be an absolute guarantee of everyone staying..no club can give that assurance to its fans, we are no different.

....well if it has " all been sold ", then I'm sure she must have some money in her account. The extent of the product area that Markus' company served was very exclusive and expensive.

I thought the that the club was benefiting from a trust fund rather than KL's personal wealth. Where has it ever been stated that KL uses her personal wealth to fund SFC. She could be owner as administrator of the trust which was set up on Markus' death. That was my understanding anyway.

I have absolutely no idea, you'd have to look up all the Mali International Group AG holdings one by one and then try to find out details of the liquidation. Personally I have never believed that the late Markus had anywhere near the amounts of funds attributed to him so (often said so on this very forum as well) so nothing would really surprise me. If someone told me we are skint tomorrow then it just wouldn't come as any sort of great shock at all.

I have absolutely no idea, you'd have to look up all the Mali International Group AG holdings one by one and then try to find out details of the liquidation. Personally I have never believed that the late Markus had anywhere near the amounts of funds attributed to him so (often said so on this very forum as well) so nothing would really surprise me. If someone told me we are skint tomorrow then it just wouldn't come as any sort of great shock at all.

Do you have any evidence for your belief that Markus didn't have the cash? Or is that just another opinion?

Do you have any evidence for your belief that Markus didn't have the cash? Or is that just another opinion?

"Personally I have never believed" now what exactly does that say ?

All I really know is that the Mali Group empire has been systematically broken up over these last 3 and a half years or so and all that now remains is a sort of brokerage affair registered in Zurich. recently there have been directoral changes (mid October)

Cortese out, KL and a bloke called Nicolaus Issenmann in . All this is in the public domain, anyone can look it up. Perhaps some of the fiswizzs can tell you more, I certainly can't.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Everybody is accountable to somebody even you Mr Cortese.

If it was his own money then he would have been accountable to himself.

How dare he throw his Teddies out of the pram because KL wanted some accountability.

Seems to me that KL made him a fabulous financial package, but Mr Cortese wanted to be accountable to himself.

Saints in excellent hands with KL and should be very respectful to the Daughter of our saviour!

Yes, but most people don't form an opinion without any evidence on which to base it. I am interested to hear your reasoning (if any).

because no evidence of ML ever actually having 3+ billion (whatevers) actually exists. He was a rich man certainly but I'm sure that there is great confusion about tha actual attribution of wealth in the entire Liebherr family. No-one knows exactly who has what because no information exists in the public domain. All you can get is hearsay and wild speculation. However the way the group has been run down to virtually nothing in these last years and the fact that up until a few months back Cortese seems to have been in virtual charge of everything still tells me much.

because no evidence of ML ever actually having 3+ billion (whatevers) actually exists. He was a rich man certainly but I'm sure that there is great confusion about tha actual attribution of wealth in the entire Liebherr family. No-one knows exactly who has what because no information exists in the public domain. All you can get is hearsay and wild speculation. However the way the group has been run down to virtually nothing in these last years and the fact that up until a few months back Cortese seems to have been in virtual charge of everything still tells me much.

Well, in 2012 the turnover of the Liebherr group was 9bn Euros and the value of its current investments is 853.8 million. So there is some publicly available information out there. I'm sure that someone could analyse the annual accounts of the group and therefore have a reasonable guess as to Markus' personal fortune (but of course, he didn't necessarily derive it all from his business interests).

The Mali group is only a small part of the entire Liebherr group which looks to be doing pretty well from figures which are publicly available.

The divesting of a small part of a very large corporate group and the resignation of 1 employee out of 38,000 does not tell you anything about the financial state of a group of companies. Cortese was in charge of part of the Liebherr group, in no way was he in charge of 'virtually everything'.

Well for journalists who can presumably grasp the English language quite well you'd have to wonder how they've converted "no plans to sell players" into pledging not to sell players. They are not one and the same thing. No plans just means no active schemes to sell players it doesn't mean they won't. Then again as we're dealing with a Swiss national perhaps they don't realise that. What she needs to say is No player that the manager seeks to retain will be sold in this transfer window, now that's a statement of intent not a wishy washy no plans etc.

I suspect that Katherina's command of the English Language is impeccable, as is the case with many Swiss Nationals, so I doubt that there has been any confusion between the distinction of not planning to sell any players and pledging not to sell any players. In any event, the message from her has been conveyed via a well respected team of PR professionals, so I would expect that if posters on here could pick up on the subtle nuances of the situation, I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't also be beyond their capabilites. ;)

Well, in 2012 the turnover of the Liebherr group was 9bn Euros and the value of its current investments is 853.8 million. So there is some publicly available information out there. I'm sure that someone could analyse the annual accounts of the group and therefore have a reasonable guess as to Markus' personal fortune (but of course, he didn't necessarily derive it all from his business interests).

The Mali group is only a small part of the entire Liebherr group which looks to be doing pretty well from figures which are publicly available.

The divesting of a small part of a very large corporate group and the resignation of 1 employee out of 38,000 does not tell you anything about the financial state of a group of companies. Cortese was in charge of part of the Liebherr group, in no way was he in charge of 'virtually everything'.

Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about. The Mali Group is independant of the Liebherr group, ie nothing to do with it whatsoever. You are just getting confused as have no doubt many before you. This is exactly what I was just saying, confusion reigns in general over this. The Mali group consisted of 5 or 6 releatively small companies in various domains, it has nothing to do with the Liebherr main group.

Edited by Window Cleaner

To be completely accurate she's looking for a Chief Executive (not an Executive Chairman like Cortese) to run things while she remains Non-Executive Chairman

And of course, she would chair the board meetings. NC was Chairman and CEO. KL has sepearted the positions, as is good practise.