Itchen Bridge

nta786

How ungrateful, spend £1.7m to help cyclists and they're still not happy. To be fair they have a point. The original plans looked ridiculous, but they haven't kept to them. What they've ended up with is at best confusing and at worst downright dangerous. How anyone consider that this is an improvement on the previous roundabout layout is beyond me.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11041174.Bike_friendly_junction__has_made_things_worse__say_cyclists/?ref=var_0

We do need to be careful that any accidents (and there will be accidents no matter what is put in place) are judged individually, and not jump to conclusions about the layout being a contributory factor. But I still agree that the scheme is poorly executed and is not going to help overall.

BTW, I suggest most of us were 'ungrateful' about the £4m spent on Vegard Forren... just because money is spent, doesn't mean it was spent wisely! But then you know that. ;)

Only Southampton council would spend £1.7million, make things less safe and end up with more ****ing traffic lights.

You need rocks in you head to want to cycle into Southampton during rush hour, way too many idiot drivers on the road. If anything they should be discouraging people from cycling, sorting one junction out would no achieve anything anyway. More cyclists = more deaths on the road, it's that simple.

Only Southampton council would spend £1.7million, make things less safe and end up with more ****ing traffic lights.

You need rocks in you head to want to cycle into Southampton during rush hour, way too many idiot drivers on the road. If anything they should be discouraging people from cycling, sorting one junction out would no achieve anything anyway. More cyclists = more deaths on the road, it's that simple.

Whilst I broadly agree that that is often the *result* of more cyclists being on the road, it shouldn't have to be that way. It almost gives permission for drivers to do what they like because they know the result will be that cyclists will be taken out of their way. There needs to be a focus on educating all road users to reduce accidents across the board.

Whilst I broadly agree that that is often the *result* of more cyclists being on the road, it shouldn't have to be that way. It almost gives permission for drivers to do what they like because they know the result will be that cyclists will be taken out of their way. There needs to be a focus on educating all road users to reduce accidents across the board.

I am firmly in favour in making roads safer and easier for cyclists to use, but this doesn't do it.There is educating road users and then there is expecting them to ignore everything they've already learnt and do something completely different for one junction. Here's the "official" what to do video.

[video=youtube_share;aAGXn2g7NmM]http://youtu.be/aAGXn2g7NmM

Just about makes sense if, as shown, the right turning bike happens to be waiting at the original lights when they turn green. What happens if he goes through a split second before amber? The red car coming from the right as we look is going to find a cyclist doing an apparent u-turn right in front of him just as he pulls away. Or, assuming the bike has made it into position in time, the same car has a green light to turn left pulls away to do so and whilst checking his nearside mirror to make sure he doesn't take out any cyclists going straight across on his inside, fails to spot that the aforementioned right turning (now straight on) cyclist is so knackered from his previous speedy manoeuvre, or is simply slow in reacting having stopped, started, stopped and expected to start again, has failed to pull away as soon as lights turn green. They originally said there would be separate lights for cyclists which would change before the cars to give time to avoid this happening, but appear to have gone for straightforward traffic signals instead.

A better solution would probably be to have a 20mph speed limit and put in a roundabout......

I sort of agree in principal, but a cyclist doesn't have a speedo & based on my experience of cycling over that bridge, you can get a lot faster than 20mph on a bike. You can almost guarantee that in any collision the motorist will be cited as speeding.

I'm glad I no longer live in Sholing and have no need to cycle (or even drive) over the bridge anymore.

lool ikr.

I am firmly in favour in making roads safer and easier for cyclists to use, but this doesn't do it.

Bloomin 'eck Wurzel! I know I came across this post late at night and after a few beers, but I looked at it and resolved to come back and _understand_ it later!

I'm a motorist, cyclist, occasional yachtie helmsman and 'orse rider, skier and the rest, but it's only as a cyclist that it's difficult to understand or be fit enough to do what you must. I'm reasonably fit, but the whole point is to make the environment safe for all. "Sorry dear, if you can't cross the road in 30 seconds you shouldn't be allowed out"..

This is what annoys me about the toll. Because of the stupid boundaries those of us living east of Weston are part of Eastleigh Borough so can't get a Card.

You can get a card if you don't live in Southampton City Council area. I live in Basingstoke but use the bridge regularly when in Southampton and have a Card. The only thing I don't get is the discount for having the card!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used the new junction for the first time today (as a driver). Its utter bobbins. Car in front had a near miss because they interpreted the green (coming from Saltmarsh Road) as having priority to turn right across traffic coming from Albert Road North. And drivers seem to have an utter inability to pass offside to offside, is it no longer taught or tested? Lack of filter boxes/lights is mental, what was it like on Saturday post-match?

This is what annoys me about the toll. Because of the stupid boundaries those of us living east of Weston are part of Eastleigh Borough so can't get a Card.

You can get a card if you don't live in Southampton City Council area. I live in Basingstoke but use the bridge regularly when in Southampton and have a Card. The only thing I don't get is the discount for having the card!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone gets a discount, even if you're living in Southampton?

I don't think anyone gets a discount, even if you're living in Southampton?

Yes you do. If you live in the areas that previously allowed you to buy the red and blue tokens, it's the concessionary rate not the full rate that gets deducted from your card balance each time you use it.