£30 million for for Luke Shaw should we take it?

modern matron

Totally agree.

The reality is though that unless we do within a reasonable timeframe start to qualify for Europe the very best will go... Sad but true.

We had this same problem over the last three seasons. If we didn't get promoted from league 1 we faced losing chamberlain, Lallana, Morgan and maybe lambert. If we didn't get promoted from the championship Lallana and Morgan again could well have gone. If we didn't stay up last season Lallana and Morgan again would be hard to keep hold of. We managed to achieve all those targets, so didn't have to worry too much. I wonder what that timeframe is you mention for European football, because I agree we must keep going forward or players like shaw and Morgan might start to consider a move.

If he didn't play for Saints and you lot read than City were interested in paying £30m for a 18yo full back you'd be saying it's obscene money and he'd be going as it's such a good deal.

Because he plays for Saints you consider £30m and insult and there is no way he should go.

Perhaps Turkish's views on you lot are correct after all.

I think it is a lot of money, and the majority of me agrees that we would be mad to turn it down but I think that after reading Dig Digs and Krakens posts they dpeak a lot of sense. If we are able to turn it down why shouldnt we !?

Im not saying its a degrading offer as it clearly isnt, its the world record fee for a full back.

What Im saying is if that money will help then definately bite their hand off, if not, then just sit back and say no, if Shaw is happy here for the time being and we need not the money then wait. Who knows it could start a bidding war.

Playing for a glory club

Look, if man city or Chelsea come calling with £25m+ he is gone

I would not blame him either

The wages, trophies, better prospects for England, champions league

No brainier

I assume you mean for him not for saints? I agree it's a no brainer for him, but not for saints.

I also think £30m could well be required.

Wasn't this story in the mail? Isn't that supposed to be the new mouthpiece for the club? Perhaps cortese with his new media saviness is sending a message out to clubs and shaw himself, that this is the kind of figure needed and anything less just won't be considered. I'm reading into it too much aren't i?

In a second...

Even if you knew Saints were in a position to continue signing players for big money regardless of player sales? If Cortese knows he can, then it is counter productive to sell Shaw as soon as a bid comes in. Yes, £30m is a lot of money but if Saints are able to spend regardless of player sales they should be looking to keep hold of their existing good players and bring in three high quality players each summer like they did with Wanyama, Osvaldo and Lovren to add to academy products.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Keep him. Who cares if its a world record for a player in his position? His value is only going to go up. Remember the last two quality LBs we had, Bridge and Bale were both sold on for higher fees after they left us.

If we say no, it will be as much of a statement of intent as us going out and spending 30m. It would show the players, fans, other clubs and prospective transfer targets we are no longer the selling club of a few years ago and we have real ambition.

I reckon a poll is in order?

Totally agree.

The reality is though that unless we do within a reasonable timeframe start to qualify for Europe the very best will go... Sad but true. The only hope is that we have enough clout, and strong enough pull to keep me here, until they reach their FULL potential, so we are selling at top whack and not at some stupid Bale like discount. That is the difference I hope to see in NC. We can't stop players going, but we can create an environment that see us benefit from them before they go and at a level that realizes their true value.

Frank this is business no sentiment or loyalty.

Luke Shaw is not worth £30million o he has to go.....unless he refuses which is unlikely...

get used to this happening

Frank this is business no sentiment or loyalty.

Luke Shaw is not worth £30million o he has to go.....unless he refuses which is unlikely...

get used to this happening

But Cortese makes the decisions and says he isnt for sale. So he obviously doesn't "have to go".

Do you think if Everton get a bid of 30m for Barkley that he will "have to go"? Or might they actually try to have the player instead?

Thing is, such a fee Will mean huge wages. That will turn his head for starters

And if such a bid does then fine, it changes the landscape. You're just using an example in which people are saying we should sell. If he doesn't want to go, then it's different.

I'd Accept it.

Put it this way, if we'd bought Shaw last summer for £30 million, could you imagine the 'what a waste of money' outcry there'd be on here?

Football has a food chain, and Man City and Chelsea are the top dogs at the minute in this country with their financial clout. I don't like it, but even Arsenal have had to regularly sell their best players over the last 7/8 years. Shaw's value will not rise significantly above inflation over the next couple of years IMO.

That £30 million could pay for the new academy facilities, plus a couple of decent players

As the club are paying for the training ground improvements and large amounts on new players regardless of player sales, why sell Shaw?

Because sometimes in life you are given excellent offers for assets that can override emotion. For example in 2006 a family approached the estate agent I bought our house through and offered us a very good price for the house, which I reluctantly accepted, because I deemed the offer to be very generous. A lot of the value of that house was wiped out in two years, and we sold at the right time.

In my opinion Shaw isn't worth £30 million. I love him and want him to stay at Saints but that isn't always possible, and if I were in Cortese's position I would sell. I suspect The money you refer to isn't coming from the Liebherr family, but from the substantial TV revenue we get from being in this league. As I have my concerns over who actually owns our club and their level of long term financial commitment I would gamble, thinking we could improve our infrastructure and squad with that money.

Because sometimes in life you are given excellent offers for assets that can override emotion. For example in 2006 a family approached the estate agent I bought our house through and offered us a very good price for the house, which I reluctantly accepted, because I deemed the offer to be very generous. A lot of the value of that house was wiped out in two years, and we sold at the right time.

In my opinion Shaw isn't worth £30 million. I love him and want him to stay at Saints but that isn't always possible, and if I were in Cortese's position I would sell. I suspect The money you refer to isn't coming from the Liebherr family, but from the substantial TV revenue we get from being in this league. As I have my concerns over who actually owns our club and their level of long term financial commitment I would gamble, thinking we could improve our infrastructure and squad with that money.

Whilst I agree, its a great offer. What if we do not need that cash and Shaw is happy for another couple of years development at the club ?

An offer is only ever as good as your situation, if we dont need to sell IMO we shouldnt.

If city want to offer stupid cash how about £30m up front + lescott ( experienced cb & will upset west ham ) Micah Richards ( rb who can play cb )( Clyne lb ) & sell on clause so near on £45m + sell on

Not that shaw is worth that much but it's a sellers market

Irrelevant since no footballer is worth the money they are sold for.

If we do turn down a bid of £30m for him, sends out a hell of a message.

To other teams, to the media that would be all over it as well, to us fans that the ambition is serious, and to other potential targets that we're serious about the ambition and the story we sell.

At the end of the day Cortese will decide, none of us have any influence, and we will see what value he places upon Shaw.

Luckily, I think (know) he will try very, very hard to keep LS at the club for as long as possible, and when he does leave we will get a massive fee (although NC would rather keep the player I am sure).

For fans to suggest that we should sell for certain amounts is quite funny when nobody here has any idea of the finances at the club. It might be 20m that we would "have to" accept. It might be 40m, it might be that financially we could turn down 80m if we decided we would rather have the player.

Point is, any one on here can say what they would do, but as we know, our Chairman does what he wants, which often isnt what the rest of football suggests he should or "has to" do, and I am happy with that.

Crazy. Without our best prospect, Shaw, we will resume the dive down the table and we will be fighting for our lives to stay in the Premiership. We will find it difficult to recruit top players and our talent, including the best in the Academy, will see their futures elsewhere. All the Liebherr's investment plans will be wasted.

We are an ambitious club, NOT a selling club.

All depends on what our ultimate goal is, if its to stay as we are then sell, if its to push up the league then keep him - simples

Except we wouldn't stay where we are without Shaw, unless you rate Fox more highly than most. Have November and December taught you nothing?

I will take 30 million, we do need large money like this MLs family wont bank roll us, under Lowe or other chairman we would accept a 10-15 mill bid, but now people know NC wont take any ****.

We could sign a new quality LB and a winger for 10 mill each or 12 mill each and have change to play the wages of the squad for the rest of the season.

However i love Lukes style and his ability and would rather us be the next Barca which i have said we will be for years if we keep the talent we produce.

Crazy. Without our best prospect, Shaw, we will resume the dive down the table and we will be fighting for our lives to stay in the Premiership. We will find it difficult to recruit top players and our talent, including the best in the Academy, will see their futures elsewhere. All the Liebherr's investment plans will be wasted.

We are an ambitious club, NOT a selling club.

Exactly, our best way of having world class players in our team is via the academy and for them to actually stick around long enough for us to progress as a club.

If selling Luke is against Saints selling policy and with the constant rhetoric about keeping the best players from the academy and he goes, this sends out the wrong message to the team and fans about achievement at Saints. I think we have options in defence to accommodate his loss but would hate to see him go. At the moment he is an integral part an emerging great defence.

If the big clubs come knocking all changes. Look at Dortmund losing Goetze and Lewandoski to Bayern, if they want a player they usually get them. Shaw is going to be a world beater and we wont hold on to him. The money to a fan should be irrelevant, but sadly it aint for the club.

The question is just how effective would Luke Shaw be if we had just put the mockers on a "dream" move to a top club and scuppered his chance to earn 3 or 4 times what he is getting here.

Because he is so young it might create motivational issues.

Unless a club is getting regular champions league football, season after season then it's just a feeder club to the elite teams. Even then there are no guarantees - just look at arsenal over the last few seasons

I would say that we are not too far off being able to offer £30m for a player ourselves with this influx of new tv money. We are not quite there yet, but in a couple of seasons maybe? And then all of a sudden £30m does not look like such a great deal. It's all relative. I wold hold out for more and a significant sell on percentage, Lescott would be a decent swap player and then spend the money on a worthy left back replacement

People thinking that just because we get get 30 million, the team will be improved to the value of 30 million are living in a dreamworld and have been completely oblivious to the value added by most saints signings over the last couple of years.

30 million pounds does not get you 30 million pounds worth of talent. Surely you've all learned that?

It gets you the players other teams are willing to sell you for 30 million, even if they are worth less than half that. Add to that the fact that although a player has done a good job somewhere else and has a high price, it just might not work out for us, again. With Shaw we know we have a top player. We shouldn't lose that unless we have to.

People saying we could get another player of the same ability and have money left over to strengthen don't seem to get that it just doesn't work like that. We will spend over the odds to get in a player we hope will work out, but maybe won't. Then we'll maybe have extra money for transfers, although it won't necessarily change the amount we spend on the transfer market at all. If we do spend, we may end up with another Gaston, a Billy Sharp or somebody else who just becomes an expensive substitute.

If we keep Shaw, we possibly get more value than we could have got out of 30 million pounds of hit or miss spending.

I will take 30 million, we do need large money like this MLs family wont bank roll us, under Lowe or other chairman we would accept a 10-15 mill bid, but now people know NC wont take any ****.

We could sign a new quality LB and a winger for 10 mill each or 12 mill each and have change to play the wages of the squad for the rest of the season.

However i love Lukes style and his ability and would rather us be the next Barca which i have said we will be for years if we keep the talent we produce.

If the replacement for Shaw is so good then why aren't Man City going for him. And if they were that good then what would you expect to pay - £30m? All seems a bit pointless to me.

I couldn't make head nor tail of this entry, what on Earth are you talking about?

Apparently it would be easy to pick up a left back of Shaw's quality or a winger good enough for the top half of the PL for 10 million each. I wonder who the proven top level premier league full backs and wingers are who'll want to come to saints for that price, especially when we've just shown that we're happy to sell our best players, even when we don't need the money.

If we are going to spend large amounts elsewhere in the summer regardless of player sales, why sell a player you don't need to if spending would continue regardless? We've had one of the largest net spends in England since our return to the Premier League.

Still think we are going to spend large?

Chelsea are just about to offer cole a new 1 ur deal. Why move to chelsea and play backup to him when you can be first choice and play week in week out at saints.

Same goes for Man City, they have two internationals for left back already...