£30 million for for Luke Shaw should we take it?

modern matron

top half prem, yet a million miles away from man city.

remind me how many times roy has called up Shaw?

you can bet your life that he will have been a shoe-in had he played for united/city

He has Baines and Cole ahead of him, no matter who he played for he'd have to bide his time as an 18 year old to get in front of them. Roy has already spoken highly of Shaw as have other in the FA. Its only a matter of time before he is an England squad and then team regular. Playing for Saints won't stop him from that, Lallana, Lambert and Rodriguez have all been called up by Roy.

If he didn't play for Saints and you lot read than City were interested in paying £30m for a 18yo full back you'd be saying it's obscene money and he'd be going as it's such a good deal.

Because he plays for Saints you consider £30m and insult and there is no way he should go.

Perhaps Turkish's views on you lot are correct after all.

Except not one person has even indicated that 30M is an insult.

The thread is about whether people would like to see Shaw sold for 30M. A lot don't.

He has Baines and Cole ahead of him, no matter who he played for he'd have to bide his time as an 18 year old to get in front of them. Roy has already spoken highly of Shaw as have other in the FA. Its only a matter of time before he is an England squad and then team regular. Playing for Saints won't stop him from that, Lallana, Lambert and Rodriguez have all been called up by Roy.

and gibbs. dont forget gibbs

He also quite clearly has Kieran Gibbs in front of him.

A big NO for me.

Can I remind everyone that the CL TV deal is about to DOUBLE soon.

Therefore imo I expect that Transfer fees for "CL standard players" will also DOUBLE.

So £30m might only be buy £15m (today's value) of replacement.

Also who are the replacements ? Most sides above us are looking for "CL Standard Left Backs" and CANNOT find them.

For those suggesting selling how many remember :-

Chivers to spurs for 125k (a record) with a poor replacement of Saul for 45k ( 2 goals in 49 league app) or

Shearer for £3.3m (a record) with poor replacements of Dixon (575k for 11 games - 2 goals) & Speedie (12 games - 0 goals)

and gibbs. dont forget gibbs

He also quite clearly has Kieran Gibbs in front of him.

Luke Shaw will still get an England call-up playing for Southampton. It may or may not come before the World Cup, but I bet it does by the end of the 2014/15 season. Do you really think otherwise if he remains with Saints?

Edited by Matthew Le God

Luke Shaw will still get an England call-up playing for Southampton. It may or may not come before the World Cup, but I bet it does by the end of the 2014/15 season. Do you really think otherwise if he remains with Saints?

he has 3 left backs in front of him whilst at saints.

probably 2 after the world cup

one of which play regularly in the champions league and goes for titles/cups. and is only 24

No idea mush. But he's currently behind three players, not only the two you mentioned.

he has 3 left backs in front of him whilst at saints.

probably 2 after the world cup

one of which play regularly in the champions league and goes for titles/cups. and is only 24

No idea mush. But he's currently behind three players, not only the two you mentioned.

Lallana, Rodriguez, Lambert in the last England squads and Hodgson's very positive comments about Shaw, Ward-Prowse and Clyne show he doesn't have some kind of illogical vendetta about calling up Southampton players.

After Cole's likely international retirement after the World Cup, if Shaw is deemed better than Gibbs he'll play ahead of Gibbs. Playing for Saints won't stop him making the squad.

Lallana, Rodriguez, Lambert in the last England squads and Hodgson's very positive comments about Shaw, Ward-Prowse and Clyne show he doesn't have some kind of illogical vendetta about calling up Southampton players.

After Cole's likely international retirement after the World Cup, if Shaw is deemed better than Gibbs he'll play ahead of Gibbs. Playing for Saints won't stop him making the squad.

he will probably need to play champions league football to get in ahead of gibbs/baines I should imagine

Is this not the case now, then? Gibbs picks up sporadic caps here and there, so (I'm just guessing here) perhaps Hodgson sees something in him. Just maybe. The Saints issue is irrelevant, really.

So City feel they can just go and chuck another £30m on another player without thinking about the application of the Financial Fair Play rule?

Er, probably yes. Looks like Nasri could be out for the rest of the season with a knee injury, so presumably they will want to replace him.

By all means let's debate the merits or otherwise of whether we should accept £30m for Shaw, but the real issue is - even allowing for the venal nature of football in general and the Premier League in particular - is that they are allowed to spend that sum of money without impugnity.

With all due respect we are not chelsea, utd or city .

They can stock pile players and pay top doller for a player to sit on the bench.

Clyne at left back would probably be in the top 4 left backs in the prem if he played there.

I recall everyone saying shaw was a long way off when I predicted his debut. If your good enough your old enough and poch will give a chance to the other joeys and insure they will be the next shaw!

Personal opinion and that's what IDE do. And IDE bin fox and get another up and coming full back as cover

With all due respect we are not chelsea, utd or city .

They can stock pile players and pay top doller for a player to sit on the bench.

Clyne at left back would probably be in the top 4 left backs in the prem if he played there.

I recall everyone saying shaw was a long way off when I predicted his debut. If your good enough your old enough and poch will give a chance to the other joeys and insure they will be the next shaw!

Personal opinion and that's what IDE do. And IDE bin fox and get another up and coming full back as cover

He really wouldn't.

A few people seem to be saying we should sell him because the money is so good. That only holds water if we needed the money, if he wanted to go and if we could be certain of getting as good or better with the money. We could get that money and end up with a couple of expensive signings who just didn't work out, like that's never happened before. Right now we have an excellent young left back who we know can produce the gods at this level. Taking the money would just be a gamble on the transfer market. I just haven't seen a single convincing argument why we should sell.

People always say "one injury and that's it" in these scenarios, but when was the last time a player had a career ending injury at that age?

And ask youself - what is harder to come by in football this day and age? A left back who could quite easily be as good as Ashley Cole was in his prime, or £30million?

There are three key issues here...

1. Does Luke want to move? If so, there's nothing we will be able to do to stop a move, so we need to ensure an equally capable young LB is found.

2. You cannot underestimate the importance of the team spirit and ethic that has built over the last 3-4 years. Luke has grown as an important feature of this and to loose him would be a small chink in that armour.

3. Cortese's strategy for the future of the club is to retain our best youth and develop them. Luke is the best of our new batch of youth to make the 1st team since L1 days. To sell him now would be like Cortese ripping up his long-term strategic plan. If there's one reason above all others that tells me this is not going to happen, it's this one - Cortese is not that kind of man.

How do you know that ?

We could arguably get 3 players the quality of Wanyama and Lovren for that money. The squad deepening we've so clearly desperately needed for the past 2 months.

Hmmm we could get another Ramirez, although he might, just might come good.

Like I said IDE try Clyne at left and chambers at right. He's played there before under both out last two managers.

Ide take £25/£30mill in a heart best for shaw

IDE use £5mill to buy Marcos Rojo who can also play centre half

100% Yes

Easily replaced with enough to spend elsewhere.

Clyne is as good at left back

I would stick chambers on right Clyne left

Zero cost

Chambers to good to be on the bench

Its proven Clyne can play left back

We have great talent coming through in that position so there's the cover.

Looking at Nathan's crossing with his right foot yesterday maybe he should use his left lol

Edited by Matthew Le Tissier

It is an awful lot of money but i would say no thanks.....Luke Shaw is a class act who will hopefully only get better.....if MC are really interested its because they know £30 mill would be a brilliant investment for an 18 year old that could give them years of service. And as some have quite rightly pointed out he has great attacking potential which will only get better in the next couple of seasons.....if Gareth Bale is worth £90 mill then Shaw is cheap at £30 mill. No Saints should not accept it unless Shaw really states he wants to go and they would run the risk of losing him cheaply....even then i dont think that would happen.

A few people seem to be saying we should sell him because the money is so good. That only holds water if we needed the money, if he wanted to go and if we could be certain of getting as good or better with the money. We could get that money and end up with a couple of expensive signings who just didn't work out, like that's never happened before. Right now we have an excellent young left back who we know can produce the gods at this level. Taking the money would just be a gamble on the transfer market. I just haven't seen a single convincing argument why we should sell.

Sorry but do you there are no limits on what the Liebherr's are prepared to spend? I ssem to recall that NC had to the "I'll quit" to get whathe wanted this summer!

Two other things for me:

1) 28.5k yesterday hardly makes us more than a mid-table premier league team at best - let's be honest we are never going to win the Champions league so it is about maximising our academy.

2) We can replace Luke based n the above. I trust NC to drive a deal that suits us and that he will invest the money wisely

Take the cash and get a suitable replacement and another 15m signing in.....

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

You make it sound so simple, but there lies the problem...finding a suitable replacement. We have shown already how easy it is to spend cash only for the player coming in to take time to settle and not overly impress. My fear is we end up with another bridge to Chelsea, le Saux to southampton deal, which IMO was a massive step backwards.

You make it sound so simple, but there lies the problem...finding a suitable replacement. We have shown already how easy it is to spend cash only for the player coming in to take time to settle and not overly impress. My fear is we end up with another bridge to Chelsea, le Saux to southampton deal, which IMO was a massive step backwards.

Good comparison.

he will probably need to play champions league football to get in ahead of gibbs/baines I should imagine

Not really. Shaw will need to just be playing better than them. Gibbs can be playing all the cl games he wants but if he isn't playing well he won't be selected.

They are creaming themselves on the City forum!

"He is probably the best left back in the league right now. So why not buy him ?

I think he can also play as a winger. He has the touch of Eden Hazard. He can deliver balls like Kolarov. He closes players down like Fernandinho. We can with more ball-winners in our team."

"He is worth £30 million.

The guy is absolutley solid in defence. Going forward he is brilliant.

You have to remember that he is 18. He can be with us for the next 14 years. £30 million is basically £2 million a season."

http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=289241&start=150

Glasgow been on there pretending to be someone else again?! Sad.

I'd take £30m. Get a decent replacement for say £10m and have £20m left over to stick in the kitty or strengthen elsewhere.

I'm interested to know who this £10m left back is who can dominate our left side as shaw has been doing since he came into the side. I imagine united and City would like to know too. I'm sure there are left backs out there, but no matter who we sign there will be a gamble to it. The only gamble we have with shaw is whether he gets a major injury at some point.

We have two or three absolute class acts in our side...Lallana, Morgan, shaw and Lovren. Sell some of these and the lessor acts start to look like the solid but not outstanding players they are at the very top level. If we want to keep going up,the table we can't sell any of our class acts. We must keep them and use the tv money each summer to strengthen squad.

Gary Neville had Lallana in his Premier League team of the first half of the season. So clearly someone on the England staff is extremely impressed with that particular Saints player.

Ok, let's see Lallana start in the next round of games when the other players are all fit

I suspect chamberlain will start ahead of Adam. Maybe even sterling

Ok, let's see Lallana start in the next round of games when the other players are all fit

I suspect chamberlain will start ahead of Adam. Maybe even sterling

Obviously Neville doesn't he final say, but he is going to have an input into the England squad and starting line-up at the World Cup. If Neville was picking the England team I think there is a good chance he'd put Lallana in the starting line-up.

Not quite how it works is it

Re - tom cleverly

There are lots of players in the England squad that aren't playing cl football. Ruddy, Baines, Lallana, Barkley, lambert, walker, jagielka, Townsend, sturridge, Johnson,

I'm interested to know who this £10m left back is who can dominate our left side as shaw has been doing since he came into the side. I imagine united and City would like to know too. I'm sure there are left backs out there, but no matter who we sign there will be a gamble to it. The only gamble we have with shaw is whether he gets a major injury at some point.

We have two or three absolute class acts in our side...Lallana, Morgan, shaw and Lovren. Sell some of these and the lessor acts start to look like the solid but not outstanding players they are at the very top level. If we want to keep going up,the table we can't sell any of our class acts. We must keep them and use the tv money each summer to strengthen squad.

Totally agree.

The reality is though that unless we do within a reasonable timeframe start to qualify for Europe the very best will go... Sad but true. The only hope is that we have enough clout, and strong enough pull to keep me here, until they reach their FULL potential, so we are selling at top whack and not at some stupid Bale like discount. That is the difference I hope to see in NC. We can't stop players going, but we can create an environment that see us benefit from them before they go and at a level that realizes their true value.

Sterling isn't playing cl either by the way.

Playing for a glory club

Look, if man city or Chelsea come calling with £25m+ he is gone

I would not blame him either

The wages, trophies, better prospects for England, champions league

No brainier