£30 million for for Luke Shaw should we take it?

modern matron

The question is "should we" not "would we" sell him. If we didn't need the money, I'm yet to hear one compelling argument as to why we should definitely sell him at that price. Just because most clubs would, isn't a reason to do it.

Of course, that sort of money would pay for half the cost of the proposed stadium renovations .... just saying, like. ;)

They are creaming themselves on the City forum!

"He is probably the best left back in the league right now. So why not buy him ?

I think he can also play as a winger. He has the touch of Eden Hazard. He can deliver balls like Kolarov. He closes players down like Fernandinho. We can with more ball-winners in our team."

"He is worth £30 million.

The guy is absolutley solid in defence. Going forward he is brilliant.

You have to remember that he is 18. He can be with us for the next 14 years. £30 million is basically £2 million a season."

http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=289241&start=150

They do seem to rate him highly.... Rightly so.

You stick to your opinion.. but 30M does nothing for us.. and we lose a potentially world class Full back... I'm really surprised you think its crazy

Do you really think 30m does nothing..? Cripes some have short memories. He isn't even an international yet. He has the potential to be ....the problem I have is I don't trust us to spend wisely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Give it to Ron

You stick to your opinion.. but 30M does nothing for us.. and we lose a potentially world class Full back... I'm really surprised you think its crazy

Does nothing for us?

£5-£10m gets you a top standard PL LB, we have a good first team but a very weak squad; £30m would go a long way to change that.

Anyone who is saying no to £30m up front, if Shaw wants to go is in cloud cuckoo land, on acid having smoked off a massive bag of cracked cocaine. Talking about NC continuing to spend as he has previously done makes no sense the £30m just adds to the kitty. My only concern is not having a good enough replacement lined up, and when I say lined up I mean the deal is done already before Shaw goes. If other clubs know we are desperate for a left back and have got billions of squid in the bank we are going to get skanked to fck.

Is the purpose of the academy to make a profit for Liebherr or to strengthen the team to win things? Everything NC and Liebherrs have done suggests the latter, thank God. And in any case if we win things the value of their investment goes up anyway. So selling our stars makes no sense either to the owners or the team. We are no longer a selling club! Thanks NC and COYR

Is the purpose of the academy to make a profit for Liebherr or to strengthen the team to win things? Everything NC and Liebherrs have done suggests the latter, thank God. And in any case if we win things the value of their investment goes up anyway. So selling our stars makes no sense either to the owners or the team. We are no longer a selling club! Thanks NC and COYR

why did we sell OxO then

why not just TELL him to stay?

If we had signed Alexander Büttner, I wonder how Shaw would of been handled. Why were we in the market for another left back anyway. Were we trying to protect Shaw but were forced to play him when the deal fell through? Did we not expect Shaw to take to first team football as well as he has?

If we had signed Alexander Büttner, I wonder how Shaw would of been handled. Why were we in the market for another left back anyway. Were we trying to protect Shaw but were forced to play him when the deal fell through? Did we not expect Shaw to take to first team football as well as he has?

Who knows why we were in the market for another LB, but its not exactly beyond the realms of possibility to suggest that it was to eradicate the need to use Dan Fox. Shaw didn't break through until a few games in, so he wasn't the de facto first choice when we looked at Buttner. Perhaps Shaw's rapid progress was a surprise; but Fox still played in 20 league games that season, so he got a pretty good run which Buttner would likely have had were he here. We still need a better reserve option at left back than Fox so Buttner could have been a decent option.

If the Cortese plan is European football then I presume he will want us to not just make up the numbers but to participate and win games, and perhaps have an outside chance to win.

We won't get there if we go weak at the knees every time someone flashes their wallet at us and we sell our better players. Our reaction should be, No Deal!

Before answering the question you'd need to understand what we would do with the £30m

Gaston and Osvaldo cost us £27 million + £19 million in wages!!

On the flip.....

Wanyama, Lovren, Morgan, Lambert, Boruc, Clyne, Cork, Davis and Fonte cost us a combined £26 million!

It's a big fee but not a club transforming amount and could easily be spent on two dud signings so why risk it? Swapping him for Lukaku would be the only move I'd even consider.

Agreed.

I've often thought the same as jampot about where Shaw would have stood had we signed Buttner. It might have been a whole different story. Certainly we should cash in on Shaw due to him being prone to injury/sickness.

30 million shouldn't be scoffed at, but perhaps we should go for a Chelsea like deal with Ryan Thomas in exchange. Then again, we don't need a replacement as we have Chambers and Clyne, both capable of switching from right to left. That would leave the 30 million for strengthening other positions.

100% Yes

Easily replaced with enough to spend elsewhere.

Clyne is as good at left back

I would stick chambers on right Clyne left

Zero cost

Chambers to good to be on the bench

Its proven Clyne can play left back

We have great taken coming through in that position so there's the cover.

Looking at Nathan's crossing with his right foot yesterday maybe he should use his left lol

Edited by Matthew Le Tissier

100% Yes

Easily replaced by who? Which LB will easily replace him with equal quality, ability and longevity and want to come to us?

That's the main question for me. If it were that easy to replace Shaw, he would be worth less (supply vs demand) and teams like City would be in for them too (since they're as good as Shaw). As it seems to stand, the only two LB's that are attracting interest from top, top clubs are Shaw and Baines.

So again, who would we easily replace him with?

Clyne was a steal but the idea Shaw could easily be replaced is quite funny.

Full backs are so key to our game and luckily we have three all worth a lot of money.

Reality is there arent many bargains to be had and once Shaw goes 99% his replacement will be of lesser quality. Can't understand why any fan would want that.

Im sure we will spend money next summer without have budgeted to sell Shaw so much better to keep our best players and add.

Money in the bank doesnt win you any points.

If top clubs want to pay silly money they obviously think he is the best left back around. Why would we want to see our best players going for any price. Why should supporters settle for second best in any positions!

Apparently so we can buy a replacement and someone else. As if we can't sign players otherwise :facepalm:

As a fan and not a club accountant or an economist, I'd rather we kept our best players.

If top clubs want to pay silly money they obviously think he is the best left back around. Why would we want to see our best players going for any price. Why should supporters settle for second best in any positions!

I dont think anyone wants to sell him. Why would they

we will sell him if insane money talks. Which is the point

Sooner or later, he will go. depends on if you think we would ever get more than £30m for him?

We need to forget the Lowe mentality of shipping our best players out for the best prices.

We're trying to use our Academy to build our side, not Man City's. If they bid £30m for him, I hope Cortese tells them to f*ck off.

if that is the case, why is Ox playing for arsenal?

100% Yes

Clyne is as good at left back

I would stick chambers on right Clyne left

Zero cost

Chambers to good to be on the bench

Its proven Clyne can play left back

We have great talent coming through in that position so there's the cover.

Looking at Nathan's crossing with his right foot yesterday maybe he should use his left lol

if that is the case, why is Ox playing for arsenal?

We were a newly promoted team in the Championship when Oxlade-Chamberlain was sold (he didn't even play a Championship game for us, only in League One!), we are now a top half Premier League side and our players are getting England call-ups.

I'm reasonably confident that Saints wouldn't look to reinvest £30M in a replacement full back, so I'd always be a little worried as to what we'd get in place of Shaw. But Clyne for £2.5M shows the type of player that is available. Sadly £30M isn't as obscene a sum of money as it was even just 5 years ago; it essentially gets you Gaston Ramirez and Dani Osvaldo. So I'd be careful of what I wished for just assuming we should take the money, and I hope we hold off for as long as possible.

We were a newly promoted team in the Championship when Oxlade-Chamberlain was sold (he didn't even play a Championship game for us, only in League One!), we are now a top half Premier League side and our players are getting England call-ups.

top half prem, yet a million miles away from man city.

remind me how many times roy has called up Shaw?

you can bet your life that he will have been a shoe-in had he played for united/city

Clyne can play LB but is much better at RB.

Taylor, Davies etc are some way off Shaw's level.

If Shaw wasnt top class he wouldnt have the whole top 4 wanting him.

Can never replace with the same quality otherwise Chelsea, Citt and United would go and get Neil Taylor or Chelsea would play Bertrand.

They want Shaw because he is miles better than those players and will be one of the very best left backs in the world in a couple of years.

£30 million is a lot for an 18 year old full back but I'd like to see him stay another season or two to be honest. I'm not sure that Cortese is too fussed about bringing in many more players seeing as he wants to focus on bringing in academy prospects. He's strengthened through the spine and while most of us would like at another, CB, FB, creative midfielder and possibly GK, I'm not sure how many of those positions we're truly trying to strengthen.

100% Yes

If we are going to spend large amounts elsewhere in the summer regardless of player sales, why sell a player you don't need to if spending would continue regardless? We've had one of the largest net spends in England since our return to the Premier League.

We do not need to, so I think we should keep all our first team players. Unless he thinks he could win trophies and wants to play in the champions league.

I think he will see how the rest of the season goes and see how we are shaping up for next season. I think if he does leave it will be at the end of the 2014/15 season.

£30 million is a lot for an 18 year old full back but I'd like to see him stay another season or two to be honest. I'm not sure that Cortese is too fussed about bringing in many more players seeing as he wants to focus on bringing in academy prospects. He's strengthened through the spine and while most of us would like at another, CB, FB, creative midfielder and possibly GK, I'm not sure how many of those positions we're truly trying to strengthen.

it kinda is. how many other teenage full backs have moved for anything near that?

Edited by Batman

It's a big fee but not a club transforming amount and could easily be spent on two dud signings so why risk it? Swapping him for Lukaku would be the only move I'd even consider.

Me too, Lukaku is the only player I'd entertain in some kind of swap deal.

Failing that I want him to stay, he's so good it's easy to forget he's only 18 and he's going to get better as he gets older.

Can see Luke pushing into the England setup within the next 12-24 months and then the price goes up even more.

I'm reasonably confident that Saints wouldn't look to reinvest £30M in a replacement full back, so I'd always be a little worried as to what we'd get in place of Shaw. But Clyne for £2.5M shows the type of player that is available. Sadly £30M isn't as obscene a sum of money as it was even just 5 years ago; it essentially gets you Gaston Ramirez and Dani Osvaldo. So I'd be careful of what I wished for just assuming we should take the money, and I hope we hold off for as long as possible.

Yep

If he didn't play for Saints and you lot read than City were interested in paying £30m for a 18yo full back you'd be saying it's obscene money and he'd be going as it's such a good deal.

Because he plays for Saints you consider £30m and insult and there is no way he should go.

Perhaps Turkish's views on you lot are correct after all.

If he didn't play for Saints and you lot read than City were interested in paying £30m for a 18yo full back you'd be saying it's obscene money and he'd be going as it's such a good deal.

Because he plays for Saints you consider £30m and insult and there is no way he should go.

Perhaps Turkish's views on you lot are correct after all.

For Man City it could be a left back for 2-3m per season over a long career. Sounds like a bargain when you consider the money in football these days.

Why should the decision to sell be based on it seeming like a lot of money. Spurs would sooner have Bale than 90m and Saints will rather Shaw than 30.