• Schneiderlin
    • Davis, S
    • Lallana
    • Rodriguez
    • Lambert
    • Ramirez
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Do Prado

I think Rickie has more bad games than good nowadays, sadly.

We need to build for next season and IMO that means running the rule over Osvaldo as the main man for the remainder (well, once he's available) of this one.

Rickie could still play a big part as a squad member though. A great option to bring off the bench.

Anyone who thinks that Rickie Lambert hasn't had better games than yesterday doesn't understand football. Fact.

Yes of course he's had better matches than yesterday - no one is denying that - but he was still very important to our game

Yes of course he's had better matches than yesterday - no one is denying that - but he was still very important to our game

On the same vein, is anyone denying that? Lambert wasn't at his best but he was still our only viable option up front. Not sure what the problem is with saying that lambert didn't have his best game by his own standards.

Maybe I don't understand football but can someone explain why Rickie's performance was supposedly so good yesterday? Gave the ball away a lot, slow, knock downs usually straight to a defender, no threatening shots on target, poor free kicks and no chances created for others. Must be some nuances that a football thickie like me must be missing.

Maybe I don't understand football but can someone explain why Rickie's performance was supposedly so good yesterday? Gave the ball away a lot, slow, knock downs usually straight to a defender, no threatening shots on target, poor free kicks and no chances created for others. Must be some nuances that a football thickie like me must be missing.

Sorry Diggers, I'm a footy thicko myself and I wouldn't be able to explain it properly.

No-one is saying he had a great game... but someone mentioned 'terrible' and he certainly was not that.

Interesting that no-one appears to comment on Rodrigues performance of late; which have been way below standard expected.

He's just another of our loyal players that have unfair criticism time and again. The bit I saw did not put him in a bad light. Ok he was not MotM but we do expect a lot of him. Yet again there was little creativity for him to feed off, that is the problem the last third, the crossing by Natanial was poor and so RL can hardly be accused of not doing it if there is no service

Anyone who can't see how important Lambert was to our game yesterday doesn't understand football. Fact.

Love it when people put things like this, in other words if you disagree with me you are an idiot, or perhaps a mong or a helmet, terms others use on here in similar situations. Rickie was poor yesterday, contributed very little, but that's a form thing and also the Baggies took good care of him and negated his threat very effectively. J-Rod was equally poor. I can only think that you mean if Rickie had not been playing we would have only had 10 men. Just because he is a "legend" doesn't mean he can't be criticised. Although I wouldn't even go as far as actually criticising, but if you think he played well or that we wouldn't have been better with someone else playing in his place then I'm afraid that my opinion is that it is you that does not understand football.

Love it when people put things like this, in other words if you disagree with me you are an idiot, or perhaps a mong or a helmet, terms others use on here in similar situations. Rickie was poor yesterday, contributed very little, but that's a form thing and also the Baggies took good care of him and negated his threat very effectively. J-Rod was equally poor. I can only think that you mean if Rickie had not been playing we would have only had 10 men. Just because he is a "legend" doesn't mean he can't be criticised. Although I wouldn't even go as far as actually criticising, but if you think he played well or that we wouldn't have been better with someone else playing in his place then I'm afraid that my opinion is that it is you that does not understand football.

Again, were you at the game.. or perhaps you lack knowledge of football altogether.. he played OK given the lack of anything creative behind him.. he has to provide the creative thinking as we have pedestrian midfield players.

He's just another of our loyal players that have unfair criticism time and again. The bit I saw did not put him in a bad light. Ok he was not MotM but we do expect a lot of him. Yet again there was little creativity for him to feed off, that is the problem the last third, the crossing by Natanial was poor and so RL can hardly be accused of not doing it if there is no service

Nick, again, saying that Lambert had a poor game or has been in poor form recently doesn't automatically mean that it's unfair criticism and has nothing to do with the fact that he is a great player for us. No one expects man of match performances from him all the time, he was just poor by his own standards yesterday, as he has been on many occassions this season.

Again, were you at the game.. or perhaps you lack knowledge of football altogether.. he played OK given the lack of anything creative behind him.. he has to provide the creative thinking as we have pedestrian midfield players.

You can keep bleating about people not being at the game all you like pal; but you might just have to accept other people's opinions that, by Lambert's own high standards, he was nowhere near his peak yesterday. Parts of his game were definitely poor. Now I can see it obviously upsets you that some people think that, but it's a perfectly valid opinion. Oh, and yes, I was at the game. I had a lovely time, thanks.

You can keep bleating about people not being at the game all you like pal; but you might just have to accept other people's opinions that, by Lambert's own high standards, he was nowhere near his peak yesterday. Parts of his game were definitely poor. Now I can see it obviously upsets you that some people think that, but it's a perfectly valid opinion. Oh, and yes, I was at the game. I had a lovely time, thanks.

perfectly acceptable, and he did not play great.. but we really need balanced views on not just Lambert.. who seems to get all the focus. There were far poorer displays out there than his for sure

perfectly acceptable, and he did not play great.. but we really need balanced views on not just Lambert.. who seems to get all the focus. There were far poorer displays out there than his for sure

What has that got to do with anything? I'm not even sure its true; Clyne wasn't exactly on top form but I'm struggling to see who else made up those who were "far poorer displays out there" than Lambert. Perhaps you could say who all those players were?

The issue with most football fans is that we still think of the game as the one we played at school, or on the park. Therefore the criticism of Lambert is all about what he did, or didn't do, when he had the ball which yes, by his standards, was below par. However, he kept two very good centre backs occupied and was a significant part of the movement created by our front three which, ultimately, created the space for AL which led to the goal.

Hence why I said that people who can't see how important to our game he was yesterday don't understand football.

Just my view.

The issue with most football fans is that we still think of the game as the one we played at school, or on the park. Therefore the criticism of Lambert is all about what he did, or didn't do, when he had the ball which yes, by his standards, was below par. However, he kept two very good centre backs occupied and was a significant part of the movement created by our front three which, ultimately, created the space for AL which led to the goal.

Hence why I said that people who can't see how important to our game he was yesterday don't understand football.

Just my view.

Important point.

Just my view.

A minimum expectation of a striker is to keep the CB's busy and move about. Osvaldo certainly isn't afforded the same view by many because of his price tag.

Im also part of the footie thickie group, shame as I always thought you and Kraken knew a thing or two, unfortunately you've been brought down to my level.

Is anyone debating the fact that lambert was the only poor player ? Shaw and Clyne offered him little in an attacking sense, J Rod was poor and even Morgan wasnt brilliant. In fact to me it seemed the whole team was shuddering and apart from the quick out of the blocks first 10 minutes or so nobody really shone yesterday. The CBs played well, Lallana had a decent enough game. Christ the fact that people are voting Boruc MOTM for his single save and clawing away of a cross speaks volumes.

Im not overly criticising Rickie, he is a big player for us, but he was poor. Saying stuff like 'if you dont get how he was so good yesterday then your an idiot' is a bit thick really, but Ive explained why he was poor IMO so perhaps you want to point out what he did yesterday that was so effective ?

Just my view.

So I know nothing about the game as he performed the minimum expectation from a lone striker that Id expect from even a sunday league player ? Gotcha

Still getting a cold sweat at how easily West Brom fashioned an open goal opportunity so late in the game. 9 times out of 10 that's a sickening equaliser.

I'm with you mate. I was already raising my hands to bury my head in them before the ball even got played in to Long. He lost both Lovren and Fonte far too easily and ran into the box completely unmarked. All he had to do was guide it one side of Boruc or the other. While I'm not denying the quality of the save, he was helped by the fact that Long made a complete mess of the easiest scoring opportunity he will ever get in a PL game. Heart-in-mouth moment for every Saints fan watching I reckon.

If I was a neutral reading this topic I would think that the club were near the bottom of the league struggling for points. We won FFS, are 9th and 7 points ahead of our nearest rival (unless Villa beat Arsenal tomorrow) and the whole team done what was needed. Also.isn't this supposed to be the dreaded second season after promotion. Proud of our team right now, great position after a tough run of fixtures.

If I was a neutral reading this topic I would think that the club were near the bottom of the league struggling for points. We won FFS, are 9th and 7 points ahead of our nearest rival (unless Villa beat Arsenal tomorrow) and the whole team done what was needed. Also.isn't this supposed to be the dreaded second season after promotion. Proud of our team right now, great position after a tough run of fixtures.

Of the 59 teams that have been promoted to the Premier League only seven have been relegated in their second season at the top. It is a number which is more in line with the law of averages than a potential psychological problem.

I'm with you mate. I was already raising my hands to bury my head in them before the ball even got played in to Long. He lost both Lovren and Fonte far too easily and ran into the box completely unmarked. All he had to do was guide it one side of Boruc or the other. While I'm not denying the quality of the save, he was helped by the fact that Long made a complete mess of the easiest scoring opportunity he will ever get in a PL game. Heart-in-mouth moment for every Saints fan watching I reckon.

The centre halves didn't lose him. He was stood 5 yards offside and only got into an onside position once the winger burst through and passed him.

Yes thanks, I was at the game yesterday, as at every game this season bar Wet Sham, something to do with being a ST holder. Habe been at games for last 40+ years as well come to that. Also a FA Coach. Not that any of that is relevant. Why is it you and the Fez fella think you are the only ones who know anything about football and that anyone who criticises your hero SRL knows nothing. Fact is mate that it seems you have a lack of knowledge yourself if you think our midfield is pedestrian, you really think Lallana was pedestiran yesterday? You do know he plays in midfield? Steve Davis pedestrian, you are having a laugh. So who in MF do you think was pedestian? I don't know what you think Lambert did yesterday that was so outstanding, two average CBs snuffed him and J-Rod out of the game completely. Rickie is a great player, but he is having a bit of a rocky patch at the moment. If you can't accept criticism of a player who had a bad day by his high standards yesterday then it is probably best that you don't post because clearly you are a little precious. You and Fez saw the game one way, I and many others saw it a different way, but of course your view must be right because you are the uber football knowledge expert and only your self important view is acceptable. Well mate, you are wrong. And in so many ways.

No more posts left today, so if you are a little upset by my response I'm very sorry. I'm sure you'll get over it and will post your pearls of wisdom regardless.

The centre halves didn't lose him. He was stood 5 yards offside and only got into an onside position once the winger burst through and passed him.

Well yes, but Clyne tracking back to close down the winger then played him onside, which meant that playing the offside trap wasn't an option. I would have expected both our CBs, or at least one of them, to be aware of this and snuff out the danger.

Anyway, it's academic. He didn't score and we won. Blue line and all that.

Thought Schneiderlin and Cork both had good games and the defence were rarely troubled until the last five. The major concern yesterday for me was how predictable we were in attack. We should have been looking to use the pace of Rodriguez, Lallana and Shaw to get behind them but instead too often we were ponderous, playing into their hands by slowing play down and delivering cross after cross which McAuley and Olsson dealt with easily. If we press and win the ball high up the pitch as Schneiderlin and Lallana did well at times yesterday, we should be taking advantage of the opposition losing their defensive shape by moving the ball quickly. Lambert was a part of this problem yesterday but not a sole contributor, Rodriguez also had an off game and I thought Lallana was in and out a bit for the first half but grew into the game. Overall though thought we controlled the game pretty well and Ramirez provided that bit of unpredictability and spark that won the game (though he still needs to get used to having less time on the ball).

West Brom clearly came for the point so glad we managed to break them down, terrible time-wasting from Foster throughout and Long's whining was incredibly tedious.

The team gave an all round half decent performance and won. The goal was an excellent football goal. The opponents came to spoil, slow the game down and get something out of the game. Two moments of brilliance decided the game. It was not an easy game to play up front as they defended in depth and smothered our attackers not giving us any room. Lambert worked hard and did his best, his positioning created the space between the centre backs which Ramirez's first time pass and Lallana's instantaneous control and finish won the game.

I was a bit disappointed with the Long chance because all season we have had players moving from offside to onside then given offside as soon as they approached the ball. Long did this yesterday and was allowed to continue. Whether in the penalty area or 40 yds out the rule is the same. We have had loads of offsides under this rule. Long was offside during that phase and had to be active inside the six yd box in front of the keeper. Once Ridgewell cut in Long came out but the ball then played in was in the same phase so he had to be offside.

Not buying that. Yes he was offside before both Clyne and Ridgewell went past him, but Lovren and Fonte lost sight of him, and by the time they realised the danger the ball should have been in the back of our net! Hence my cold sweat.....rank bad defending snuffed out by Boruc and a huge slice of luck.

Not buying that. Yes he was offside before both Clyne and Ridgewell went past him, but Lovren and Fonte lost sight of him, and by the time they realised the danger the ball should have been in the back of our net! Hence my cold sweat.....rank bad defending snuffed out by Boruc and a huge slice of luck.

Not offside under the current interpretations.

Of the 59 teams that have been promoted to the Premier League only seven have been relegated in their second season at the top. It is a number which is more in line with the law of averages than a potential psychological problem.

Not if 52 of the 59 promoted teams were relegated in their first season up. ;)