• Schneiderlin
    • Davis, S
    • Lallana
    • Rodriguez
    • Lambert
    • Ramirez
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Do Prado

Nor do I but it was for charity. I was happy to stand by my conviction and make a wager for charity regarding your claim. I agree it would not be fair now as there is at least a 7 point gap between the clubs you felt would finish above us.

i did understand your concerns regarding us sliding but to believe that we would finish below some of those clubs was unlikely

Well, you are right but I suppose I always think the worst is going to happen re Saints. Anyway, I think the 3 points today was massive and even I think we will be Ok. having said that I cannot see us finishing any higher than 9th.

King Artur is back! faaantastic save when needed!!!!!
Shame King Artur didn't Merlin along with him to work a bit of magic oN the rest of the team. He was amazing but the rest was DIRE! Edited by ART

Shame King Artur didn't Merlin along with him to work a bit of magic of the rest of the team. He was amazing but the rest was DIRE!

So, are we kicking on from here or are we going to limp over the finishing line ? Is the future bright or are there dark clouds ahead ?

Well, you are right but I suppose I always think the worst is going to happen re Saints. Anyway, I think the 3 points today was massive and even I think we will be Ok. having said that I cannot see us finishing any higher than 9th.
I had said 8th to CBFry and he said 9th, a few weeks back, looking at the table at present Iam sad to say he may be right

Not as slick as earlier games but decent 3 points.

Predictable type of game - first 20 odd minutes well on top relaxed football with WBA keen to frustrate / time waste.

Lack of goal made us a bit rushed at times.

I don't think anyone played badly but few less sharp than their best, JayRod was quiet of periods but had a few good runs into the penalty area and at least shot!

Lambert played deeper but I felt he was needed more as CF without Osvaldo.

Back five looked pretty comfortable , Shaw had excellent first half.

Cork covered a lot of ground but feel its his awareness and decision making that puts him well behind Morgan - few times you could see Cork running out of ideas and into trouble , needless giving the ball away. Sounds harsher than I mean just how good Morgan is - often easy to miss but rarely caught wrong side of a player or in possession.

Ramirez made such a difference. Won the game. As soon as he came on it raised crowd and team. Several nice touches. Was talking to a colleague about his ability to 'win' freekicks running towards goal - sure enough within minutes he did just that. Even took a very good corner after his pathetic attempts last season.

His assist for the goal, was world class.

He moves into space constantly and always wants the ball. He does work defensively but no where near level of pressing others do.

I can see he may not be everyone's favourite, that may disappoint expectations, may not press enough but anyone who has seen him knows he isn't rubbish.

His attitude has been criticised by a couple ( personally think it is purely a racist prejudice) but since in has justified inclusion. His biggest problem was the good form of others.

Can't see us dropping looking at Man U and Newcastle!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Get off Lamberts back please guys, just cause he has one not so great a game; in a match like this just think if he was not playing how we would have missed him. And one pass from Gashton DOES NOT make him MLT for goodness sake! He is not fit to clean his boots.

In many times in the past we would have drawn or lost a game like that - the mark of a good team is grinding out a 1-0 win against spoilers.

Thanks. Has anyone got a link so that I can see lallana's goal. Would be much appreciated, otherwise I will wait for MOTD.

Here you go:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19jkjp_all-goals-southampton-1-0-west-bromwich-11-01-2014-highlights_sport?search_algo=1

I still think the ball was meant around the corner for Rickie, especially when you see the way Ramirez rolled out after playing it but whatever, it doesn't matter.

So, are we kicking on from here or are we going to limp over the finishing line ? Is the future bright or are there dark clouds ahead ?
I thought today's match only papered over the cracks. Appalling game from our point of view. Pochettino just doesn't have an alternative game plan. A better team would have walked all over us and needed Boruc to save the day as he did today.

Ramirez performs for 10 minutes and then fades. Poor Sam, just what must he do to get on and replace Ricky and JayRod. They were pretty poor and the lad could have easily played better and made a name for himself. Chambers was badly missed and once again we are wide open on the right of defense.

Baggies came for a draw today Foster was time wasting from the off we had a couple of chances in the first half and was worried they would catch us on the break they only came life after we scored. Cracking goal to win it from AL not a big fan of Gaston but his assist was one of his better moments in a Saints shirt and a match winning save from Artur.

Here you go:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19jkjp_all-goals-southampton-1-0-west-bromwich-11-01-2014-highlights_sport?search_algo=1

I still think the ball was meant around the corner for Rickie, especially when you see the way Ramirez rolled out after playing it but whatever, it doesn't matter.

Andy Gray what a ###### to say Gaston didn't mean it !

I thought today's match only papered over the cracks. Appalling game from our point of view. Pochettino just doesn't have an alternative game plan. A better team would have walked all over us and needed Boruc to save the day as he did today.

Ramirez performs for 10 minutes and then fades. Poor Sam, just what must he do to get on and replace Ricky and JayRod. They were pretty poor and the lad could have easily played better and made a name for himself. Chambers was badly missed and once again we are wide open on the right of defense.

Do you really think a 17 (?)year old kid would be able to carry our forward line .? Behave we have had some very good and more promising young forwards try that over the years and have their confidence destroyed. He needs a few minutes here and there to get him used to the rigors of PL football, not being thrown in on a tough game like today

What a huge difference having Boruc back made. Not just for his save but his whole management of the defence in front of him, the increased level of confidence he seems to bring to them and his command of balls into the box. MOTM for me despite good shifts by others.

Clyne - someone teach him how to cross this week, how many did he kick straight at the first man?

Lovren - one worry I have spotted a few times now - when ushering the ball out for a throw-in he has got bundled off the ball a couple of times, cost us a goal in a previous game and put us under pressure today. Other than that still as the TV said one of the bst buys of the season, find a couple more like that in the summer and life will be rosy.

70% possession in the first half. Again the TV nailed it, we were moving the ball around but up front it was not as crisp, and we were taking one or two touches rather than moving the ball quickly. Certainly Lambert does not help there as he does tend to look up when getting the ball wide. How come we can ping the ball around almost telepathically at the back but not in the final 3rd.... Until Gaston came on.

Think the confidence of the front 4 is the issue with that ball, once we move it quicker and more direct we look really dangerous.

Game was weird to watch on a stream, total dominance yet totally unexciting.

Take the 3 points and back to Barasti next week (at last!) to watch on proper TV with a beer!

Har-de-bloody-har.

You crack me up. Papering over the cracks of being 9th and 7 points ahead of 10th.

The ball was clearly meant for lallana. Don't understand why people saying it wasn't. We've seen that gaston is capable if that before.

He helped pick up the tempo when he came on and i will give him the benefit of the doubt on the pass.

Its an assist either way so all good

Hair cut though???

Haven't seen a team visit and attempt nothing at all but time waste for the 90 minutes since we played Wycombe in Div 1, which we also won 1-0.

The one minute of added time at the end of the first half was a joke, Forster held the ball for longer than that.

Whatever happened to the six second rule?

Anyway, at least we won what I believe is our first time with Howard Webb officiating our game in the Premier.

The ball was clearly meant for lallana. Don't understand why people saying it wasn't. We've seen that gaston is capable if that before.

Good teams make their own luck and its about time we had some, although i don't think he meant to pass to AL - more likely was going for a 1-2 with RL to then put a cross in.....but who cares, we won ffs

What a load of tosh! As we often do, we commanded the midfield, so which team would have walked all over us today? We've already beaten Liverpool and drawn with City, United and should have drawn with Arsenal too but for Boruc pratting about and Clot 'n' Berk allowing them a really soft penalty. The defence we had on the pitch today had the second best record in Europe for several matches and we only started conceding when half of the back five and a key midfielder were out injured. And arguably Pochettino's alternative plan, substituting on Ramirez produced the decisive moment's play that gained us the win.

Your post reeks of the sort of opinions formed by somebody not there, lacking perspective and taking no account of the factors that render it shallow.

Our central play in the final third isn't aggressive enough at the moment. Our ball retention is great but doesn't appear to have a catalyst (except Lallana) when attacking. I would like to see us to use possession earlier and be more 'clinical' (at least attempt) in the final third.

I counted three occasions where Steven Davis was central to the goal around 20-18 yards out and unopposed but unfortunately each occasion he was on his left foot (crying out for Ramirez but at least he got in to that position).

Lambert looked knackered after 75 minutes.

Ramirez looked like the number '10' I think we've been missing.

Boruc, just :).

Good three points.

Behave .... 'Papering over the cracks..' Pathetic. We are a decent top 10 side. Nothing more as we all know we are a work in progress as the youngsters get the experience and improve.... On a form day we can beat anyone, but do not have the consistency yet to be mounting any challenge to to top 6... So what cracks are we papering over?

we have played a lot better in the last 10 games and got nothing- that is football- so this helps even out what we deserve. Nothin more. But you are you ilk, with the constant negative drivel and WUM mentality need to accept that your constant whining and fake misery, won't take the shine off it for the real down to earth fans who simply enjoy Supporting our side through all ups and downs... Seriously, you were not funny before and are not now... Buts if it helps you crack one off to see a few folk annoyed by your inane shields, no worries. Guess you need to get your fun somehow....

The collateral damage of the Clatternberg incident certainly affected Lallana...

Not bothered in the slightest as he had nothing to do with the complaint. Just remarked on the comment after the match and the management decided to take it further. He had no involvement.

Regarding Gaston's pass - he clearly meant to cross it. Whether he meant to place it perfectly for Lallana is moot really, maybe he was just pinging it into the box in the hope that a red shirt would be there. I'm glad he did it and even if it only comes off one time in 5 it's good play and should be commended.

Shane Long went over to the WBA fans at the end and gave one his shirt. Some fat West Brom matey started mouthing off to him, pointing the finger at him and all sorts. Another mush came over and pulled fat matey out the way, whilst Shane Long was just stood there, arms out as if to say "what have I done?!" Fat matey then has a run in with someone pushing someone in a wheelchair, before walking up the steps and then turning around and angrily gesturing towards wheelchair man. Feel sorry for whoever is sat next to him on the coach journey home..!

Good evening folks , miss the match thread etc . Due to being in Arbroath and the Dundee now in Brechin for the night .

So when I got in I found out the the result . Started with the match thread and now the post match thread . And no suprised the usual Wums and moaners are ever present . Shame on you guys .

I always thought this would be a difficult game as they have been playing well and have a new impetus with their new manager .

So based on that I felt good that we would get get a win and we have . .

It's easy to moan at some of our players been ineffective . But instead of shouting your gobs of that ex player was useless . And to be fair I'm only basing my comments on the comments in both threads .

But back to comments on here about players especially. SRL . I don't know if you watched the game . You know who I mean . But I bet the new WBA manager used specific tactics to stifle players like SRL , Adam etc

So instead of giving grief to certain players , consider why they might have been ineffective . It may have been down to the opposition not the player .

Well I'm one of those less than fully convinced that Gaston will ever prove to be the world class player some on here make him out to be. But fair goes, he came on and with one touch of pure class probably made the difference between us earning a single point today, or all three. But let's not forget a better player still had to finish the chance.

The trouble with Gaston Ramirez is that he's either very good, or desperately average to be frank about it. I think that's why he's only had limited game time so far this season, because managers want players who can consistently deliver them a 7 or 8 performance every game, rather than one who veers erratically between a 9 and a 4.

So a bit of luxury player then you might say, and one who IMO should be nowhere near the first team in games when a top side puts us under the cosh for prolonged periods. But there are other times - like today for instance - when he can be more than handy.

Shane Long went over to the WBA fans at the end and gave one his shirt. Some fat West Brom matey started mouthing off to him, pointing the finger at him and all sorts. Another mush came over and pulled fat matey out the way, whilst Shane Long was just stood there, arms out as if to say "what have I done?!" Fat matey then has a run in with someone pushing someone in a wheelchair, before walking up the steps and then turning around and angrily gesturing towards wheelchair man. Feel sorry for whoever is sat next to him on the coach journey home..!

Adrian Chiles hasn't been so upset publicly since Christine Bleakley rejected his todger for that of Frank Lampard.

Well I'm one of those less than fully convinced that Gaston will ever prove to be the world class player some on here make him out to be. But fair goes, he came on and with one touch of pure class probably made the difference between us earning a single point today, or all three. But let's not forget a better player still had to finish the chance.

The trouble with Gaston Ramirez is that he's either very good, or desperately average to be frank about it. I think that's why he's only had limited game time so far this season, because managers want players who can consistently deliver them a 7 or 8 performance every game, rather than one who veers erratically between a 9 and a 4.

So a bit of luxury player then you might say, and one who IMO should be nowhere near the first team in games when a top side puts us under the cosh for prolonged periods. But there are other times - like today for instance - when he can be more than handy.

English rubbish mentality. How can someone be a luxury if they are capable of playing a pass that will win you a game. Steven Davis created nothing all game.

English rubbish mentality. How can someone be a luxury if they are capable of playing a pass that will win you a game. Steven Davis created nothing all game.

No wrong again.

He's a bit of a 'luxury' because our play is built around good players pressing the ball exceptionally hard and defending from the front. GR lackadaisical tackling and questionable work rate mean he just doesn't fit into that style at the moment - which is why he has spent most of the season with his backside planted to the bench.

Now you may think we should adapt our play to suite this one player more. I say better he should adapt his play to fit in with the ethos of the team. Now if he can do that then I think we could all agree he should be a regular feature in our squad.

No wrong again.

He's a bit of a 'luxury' because our play is built around good players pressing the ball exceptionally hard and defending from the front. GR lackadaisical tackling and questionable work rate mean he just doesn't fit into that style at the moment - which is why he has spent most of the season with his backside planted to the bench.

Now you may think we should adapt our play to suite this one player more. I say better he should adapt his play to fit in with the ethos of the team. Now if he can do that then I think we could all agree he should be a regular feature in our squad.

Mp said he's adapting his game and is changing.

Totally agree. How can anyone say it was meant for Rickie?? I am not saying it was specifically for AL, but he definitely chipped it into the box for whoever was there. Watched the video quite a few times and he meant it. As I said on another post, it depends if you are a Gaston or Gashton sort of person I suppose.

Edited by miserableoldgit

My thoughts;

Gotta say was not impressed to see Cork go off..... Buy hey, Ramirez changed the game & that's why MoPo is manager & I am sat in the stand watching.

Can't believe that WBA were happy to time waste from 15 mins in!

Can't believe someone earlier said Webb was fair!! No yellow for Anelka/ no red for Olsen for waste high challenge on Lallana & the free kick against Shaw in injury time for a 50/50 shoulder challenge.

Sat in chapel for a change!! As much for any one to clap their hands but god forbid any one sing!!!

Good afternoon though :)

My thoughts;

Gotta say was not impressed to see Cork go off..... Buy hey, Ramirez changed the game & that's why MoPo is manager & I am sat in the stand watching.

Can't believe that WBA were happy to time waste from 15 mins in!

Can't believe someone earlier said Webb was fair!! No yellow for Anelka/ no red for Olsen for waste high challenge on Lallana & the free kick against Shaw in injury time for a 50/50 shoulder challenge.

Sat in chapel for a change!! As much for any one to clap their hands but god forbid any one sing!!!

Good afternoon though :)

Seriously, what was that about? Unbelievable. Funny how they speeded up so much when one down. I don't think I've ever seen a team come to St. Mary's and play for a 0-0 from 15 minutes in. I thought better of West Brom.

The usual start from us at home, slick, confident and in control. Our inability to convert dominance into early-ish leads though always give teams a chance and from about 25 mins on you always felt that it could be another smash and grab win for them but patience paid off in the end.

I don't understand why teams like West Brom come to St Marys for a point, towards the end you could see that they have some good players capable of getting more than a 0-0. Makes for a very drab and frustrating game when teams come and put everyone in their own half.

Class pass from Gaston, would have been a 0-0 or worse without his introduction. Still loads of idiots around me who completely ignored that and spent the rest of the time berating him. Bizarre.

Rickie was very poor, we need Osvaldo back in order to get some potency back up front. Looking forward to seeing him and Gaston play.

Edited by Dig Dig

Whilst I agree, and whilst I believe your a man that knowshis stuff. I think its worth giving him atleast the next 6 months and if we get a big offer then potentially look at selling on. He hassome serious ability, but has the stereotypical foreign playmaker mentality, he works quite hard, but not hard enough. FWIW I think he played ok today, he offered something different from yhe usual take no chances and keep the ball stuff we usually play.

At the moment Im v happy that he is an option, he certainly offered more in 30 mins that Lambert did in 90

WBA were in the first half, an utter disgrace to the beautiful game. They made Wet Spam look like Brazil of the 1970s. Never have I seen such a negative half of football. It was excruciatingly boring and dragged on forever. And 1 minute of added time - where the **** did the rest of the time go? They must have time wasted at least 3 minutes. Fortunately 2nd half was a little better.

The usual start from us at home, skick, confident and in control. Our inability to convert dominance into early-ish leads though always give teams a chance and from about 25 mins on you always felt that it could be another smash and grab win for them but patience paid off in the end.

I don't understand why teams like West Brom come to St Marys for a point, towards the end you could see that they have some good players capable of getting more than a 0-0. Makes for a very drab and frustrating game when teams come and put everyone in their own half.

Class pass from Gaston, would have been a 0-0 or worse without his introduction. Still loads of idiots around me who completely ignored that and spent the rest of the time berating him. Bizarre.

Rickie was very poor, we need Osvaldo back in order to get some potency back up front. Looking forward to seeing him and Gaston play.

Sadly I agree. I love RL to bits but he really didn`t contribute much today. Too many passes went to the opposition. Mind you that applies to a number of others as well.

WBA were in the first half, an utter disgrace to the beautiful game. They made Wet Spam look like Brazil of the 1970s. Never have I seen such a negative half of football. It was excruciatingly boring and dragged on forever. And 1 minute of added time - where the **** did the rest of the time go? They must have time wasted at least 3 minutes. Fortunately 2nd half was a little better.

It took more than a minute for Webb to give Lovren thay ludicrous yellow card.

No wrong again.

Disagree with you on this CEC. The old Gaston certainly, but from the moment he came on against Everton and popped up covering at Right Back, it was clear he is starting to adapt to a team ethic.

He is by no means there yet, but the point is he has ALREADY changed from the arrogant headless chicken of old.

He certainly would not be my first name on a team sheet especially when we play Citeh Away, but he has shown he will become a valuable squad member and earn more starts (IMHO)

Shame our Mittel Europan never actually watches a game on a stream