Not everything revolves around London

Barry Sanchez

The terrors of the high street and urban planning mean that whenever I leave the big smoke, I can't tell whether I'm in Liverpool, Southampton, Newcastle, S****horpe, Birmingham or Hull. A few traces of nineteenth century civic pride and the odd postmodern vanity project here and there are all I have to go on.

Utterly depressing - no English city should be anywhere near that top 10.

This

I lived in London for 5 years and agree with your teeth sucking Southampton friends. London is a fantastic place to visit but I found most of it is a unfriendly, sh!te hole of a place.

I often said in London you could be lying in a pool of you own blood dying and people will just step over to you on their way to work. It may have just been where I lived (North London) but on a night out there were always gangs of ethnics who hate each other, and the locals who hated everyone.

There is so much to do which is why it is great to visit but you are never too far away from a street where you could get stabbed for your trainers.

Which part of London did you live in - Seven Sisters?

North London is arguably the most balanced part of London - within minutes you can be on the Holloway Road/Archway and then in Highgate, two completely different but complementary worlds. By contrast, West London is ponce country, South London is too spread out and East London is too ghettoised where each sticks to his/her own.

Which part of London did you live in - Seven Sisters?

North London is arguably the most balanced part of London - within minutes you can be on the Holloway Road/Archway and then in Highgate, two completely different but complementary worlds. By contrast, West London is ponce country, South London is too spread out and East London is too ghettoised where each sticks to his/her own.

I lived around Southgate, Palmers Green and Wood Green. To be fair 3 of those was as a student and the other two at the start of my career not earning alot so I wasn't best placed to live life to the full in London.

Me and 4 of my mates moved back to Southampton and none of us miss London one bit. It's a fun and exciting place to live but there is no dressing it up as a friendly place. The contrast in cultures and disparity in wealth means people put barriers up, the locals we got to know said themselves that you need to put up a "front" just to get by.

I lived around Southgate, Palmers Green and Wood Green. To be fair 3 of those was as a student and the other two at the start of my career not earning alot so I wasn't best placed to live life to the full in London.

Me and 4 of my mates moved back to Southampton and none of us miss London one bit. It's a fun and exciting place to live but there is no dressing it up as a friendly place. The contrast in cultures and disparity in wealth means people put barriers up, the locals we got to know said themselves that you need to put up a "front" just to get by.

London is no different to any other big city in that regard though.

I was born near there in the North Middlesex Hospital. All my family were from Edmonton, Enfield, Ponders End. My wife is from Barnett. When I finished university I was determined not to live in London, thank you very much. :)