Puncheon to Palace - Perm Signing (Confirmed)

St Chalet

Why does everyone let Alpine Saint get their backs up? With all due respect to a lot of posters, I just picture everyone as a spotty little internet warrior that doesn't have the first clue about the business or playing side of football at a high level. It's just like a party on here, you don't need to speak to everyone at the party and you shouldn't let a single person upset you.

Personally, without Alpines posts, I'd be quite bored as if you read them with an ironic or sarcastic twist, they actually appear quite funny.

Shame on all of you Internet warriors

I'll be interested to see if there's any developments on this story before the end of the month...

http://www.london24.com/sport/crystal-palace/tony_pulis_reveals_doubts_over_southampton_loanee_jason_puncheon_s_crystal_palace_stay_1_3214314

We might be slightly easier to deal with now that Nicola has gone. One thing he didnt do well at was moving on fringe players and getting a fee

I'll be interested to see if there's any developments on this story before the end of the month...

http://www.london24.com/sport/crystal-palace/tony_pulis_reveals_doubts_over_southampton_loanee_jason_puncheon_s_crystal_palace_stay_1_3214314

It'll be interesting to see what the reservations are that Puncheon has. Given he asked for the move (apparently to be close to his family in Croyden) I am not sure what could have changed in the past 6 months. Maybe he sees a better future for himself at Southampton? Maybe the family issues are resolved?

Id still happily take him back. Another goal and motm performance for him today. Pulis was heaping praise post match

I would too. But that said Davis and JWP have between them both performed well on the right. For me the only thing we have missed from him is his goal threat (and goals). But if a player wants to move then he wants to move, I wouldn't have seen the point in stopping him leaving.

• 2 weeks later...
Neither of them play in the same role as Puncheon.

They both absolutely have started lots and lots of games this season in the position that Puncheon would have if he stayed. The inside-right position where the player can come deep and get involved in play and also tuck inside to allow the full-back to bomb on. That is where Puncheon has played for us under Pochettino.

As has been said though, they have different qualities. Puncheon dribbles with the ball more and is quicker. He definitely has more of a goal threat. But there is nowhere else Puncheon would play for us this season other than in that position. He's not going to play behind the striker like Lallana, and that role on the left is Jay Rods.

They both absolutely have started lots and lots of games this season in the position that Puncheon would have if he stayed. The inside-right position where the player can come deep and get involved in play and also tuck inside to allow the full-back to bomb on. That is where Puncheon has played for us under Pochettino.

As has been said though, they have different qualities. Puncheon dribbles with the ball more and is quicker. He definitely has more of a goal threat. But there is nowhere else Puncheon would play for us this season other than in that position. He's not going to play behind the striker like Lallana, and that role on the left is Jay Rods.

I said "same role", our tactics would be different with Ward-Prowse or Davis on the right compared with Puncheon.

I said "same role", our tactics would be different with Ward-Prowse or Davis on the right compared with Puncheon.

I don't think they are. I think the only difference is the way the players express themselves when they are on the ball. Ward-Prowse plays very conservatively, Davis plays forward more but is pass first, and Puncheon is more of a dribbler who cuts inside. In terms of the base formation and framework that Pochettino plays, I don't think he would change that based on whomever was playing in that position. I've not seen any evidence to suggest he does either - there are certain responsibilities and expectations of the player in that position and I think all three players mentioned are expected to meet them. The only difference as I say is when the player has the ball and that is down to ability.

I think we only paid something like £350k for him so to get £1.75mil plus some previous loan fee amounts, we made a substantial profit on a player who is clearly deemed as dispensible !

Not bad business really !

Yep, a rare transfer where all 3 parties are happy AND player and former club part on good terms.

Out of interest, why did we sell him? Did he have another fall-out or did he request a move?

because he wanted to play for his local team/be near his family, hence the loan in the first place. Thought it was reasonably well documented at the time, not just on here but in the real world as well.

I hope the clause that he can't play against us this season remains as part of the agreement. Unless they get a penalty, then they can bring him on to take it ;)

lol, sad to see him finally go as he was always entertaining when he came on, usually raised the tempo and was often instrumental in helping us to a win. So it will be odd watching him play against us at CP in March.

Good luck, Punch, but don't score against us.

After suggesting him as a HCDAJFU many moobs ago, before feeling the need to defend him on here against a barrage of abuse at times, all be it some time ago now, it's strange to now not need to back him as by and large Saints fans have warned to him. I always said he had real quality if you recognised the fact he isn't pacey, so had to play the game a slightly different way - coming inside and taking his time to deliver a pass. I hope by now every Saints player will know which foot he can kick with and which side to keep him on so he doesn't poke one past us coming in from the right touchline. I also hope over the next few years we can bring in a few players with similar dribbling ability to back Lallana up. You need players willing to keep the ball just that little bit longer than the English crowd are comfortable with.

because he wanted to play for his local team/be near his family, hence the loan in the first place. Thought it was reasonably well documented at the time, not just on here but in the real world as well.

It was just speculation as far as I remember. Even if all those things were true, we would still not necessarily let him go if he was vital to the team.

From the start, JP was an accident waiting to happen, and he had his problems even in the beginning, but somehow managed to sort himself out.

His incident with the social media ....and subsequent " repatriation " by Cortese seems to have worked and he started to show some good form, and spectacular goals always seem to endear ..(even the poorest players)... to the fans, and so he qualified himself on that account with a few rather special goals - but he did seem to lack consistancy.

He obviously feels better (about himself) being back in London, and I do wish him well. He was what we might always call " a bit of a character ", but I do wish him well at Palace...but it won't surprise me if he turns up with the " wrong type of headlines " at some future date.

However, in the end..... I'd call it a " win-win " situation, and we did come out ahead, as I think his original fee in was around 250K ?

Edited by david in sweden

It's a shame to see the back of him, at the end of it all he was a good player and scored some really important goals.

It was clear that Pochettino didn't value him as highly as Adkins, though.

In all honesty... I don't think that NA had the vision that MP has. Having Puncheon in the squad was rather like Osvaldo....sometimes brilliant beyond words, other times he was almost invisible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Nigel, he did a fantastic job ..as far as it goes, but he clearly didn't have the Prem. League mindset, otherwise he would have bought in big-time before we began season 1.

The fact that he couldn't see the shortcomings of only having KD as goalie, or that Fox and Richardson weren't Prem.class and in players like JP he saw only what he HAD done, and not the fact that he lacked consistancy.

I think NA was always looking back at where he / we had come from....and carried along on the wave of back-to-back successes, put faith in too many players who just couldn't cut it. JP included.

JP may do well at Palace, I hope he does......(I quite like them as a club)..... but it may not be in the Prem. next season.

I think Pochettino is looking forward ........to where we can go, and sees we have the right set-up to achieve it, and JP wasn't in his reckoning, for better or worse he's gone now and only time will tell.

Edited by david in sweden