Puncheon to Palace - Perm Signing (Confirmed)

St Chalet

To my mind the key issue with this is that Pulis is in fact assembling a decent team - no way will they get relegated and could quite feasibly start putting upwards pressure on the likes of us in mid-table land.

Pulis keeping them up is one thing and I think there is a reasonable chance he will, but Saints are still along way ahead of Palace in terms of quality of player and it would take a huge swing and large amounts of money they won't spend to reverse that.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I'd say its definitely up for debate, but I'm leaning more towards the pro-Gaston side. He gives the ball away too much, doesn't always play with enough intensity and could be stronger on the ball. However, he has also played two passes in the last couple of home games that nobody else in the squad would be capable of seeing or playing. The first was against Spurs when we were chasing another equaliser, threading an incredibly well weighted pass through to Lallana who couldn't beat Lloris. Then against Chelsea he clipped a stunning pass through to Rodriguez who was tackled before he could finish. Both of those had me out of my seat.

He has phenomenal talent, its just whether it can be fulfilled, and I don't mind admitting that I would have expected to see much more from him by now. Still, I'm willing to stick with him and hopefully he shows more improvement when he gets a run in the team - I'm sure Pochettino is doing his best to bring the performances out of him.

Yes, it could be a confidence thing. If we get a good run and start winning some games, then maybe Gaston will come into his own. Just think time is running out.

Would rather have kept him and saved 11m + wages from The Gash.

No way he would have contributed less.

As Adrian has pointed out, you would have been amongst those baying for new signings. But also consider that Puncheon, by all accounts, wanted to return to South London. Whether that was just a romantic desire to walk the picturesque streets of Streatham and Upper Norwood or a realisation that he would not be first choice at Saints, I don't know. But he wanted to go and the Palace loan deal suited all parties. To make it permanent seems sensible.

I'm not sure why some people have to have a scapegoat in our own team, let alone give them childish nicknames. Yes, Gaston has not yet achieved everything that we thought he would. But perhaps that's as much to do with our own expectations as anything he's done. I still think he has the ability and potential to become an important part of our team. Some people on here were slagging Lallana off last year but look how much he has improved. But if Gaston doesn't make it here then I have no doubt there will be other clubs willing to take him on and pay us a good fee to do so. No football club gets all of its signings right. Why should Saints be any different?

But I understand some people need someone to blame, in life probably as well as football. It's one the reasons why my status has gone from "full member" to "registered user".

As Adrian has pointed out, you would have been amongst those baying for new signings. But also consider that Puncheon, by all accounts, wanted to return to South London. Whether that was just a romantic desire to walk the picturesque streets of Streatham and Upper Norwood or a realisation that he would not be first choice at Saints, I don't know. But he wanted to go and the Palace loan deal suited all parties. To make it permanent seems sensible.

I'm not sure why some people have to have a scapegoat in our own team, let alone give them childish nicknames. Yes, Gaston has not yet achieved everything that we thought he would. But perhaps that's as much to do with our own expectations as anything he's done. I still think he has the ability and potential to become an important part of our team. Some people on here were slagging Lallana off last year but look how much he has improved. But if Gaston doesn't make it here then I have no doubt there will be other clubs willing to take him on and pay us a good fee to do so. No football club gets all of its signings right. Why should Saints be any different?

But I understand some people need someone to blame, in life probably as well as football. It's one the reasons why my status has gone from "full member" to "registered user".

What a load of whining drivel. I especially like the "not first choice" bit. If Gashy hadnt signed, who would have been playing there ? U got it...

If there are other clubs "willing to take him on and pay us a god fee to do so" they are more than welcome. Only, I dont see them queueing up...

If we have to get rid of a high-profile player or two to fund the extra CB and GK we so desperately need, its an absolute no-brainer (except to the "Gaston will turn good, even after 20months and 5m in wages" straw-clutchers like you) as to who the spotlight falls on when comparing Gashy, Lallana, Shaw, Super Rickie and Morgan...

Edited by alpine_saint

What a load of whining drivel. I especially like the "not first choice" bit. If Gashy hadnt signed, who would have been playing there ? U got it...

If there are other clubs "willing to take him on and pay us a god fee to do so" they are more than welcome. Only, I dont see them queueing up...

If we have to get rid of a high-profile player or two to fund the extra CB and GK we so desperately need, its an absolute no-brainer (except to the "Gaston will turn good, even after 20months and 5m in wages" straw-clutchers like you) as to who the spotlight falls on when comparing Gashy, Lallana, Shaw, Super Rickie and Morgan...

Why do you hold Punch in such high regard? Especially over Gaston.

I keep banging on about this, but you seem to blindly ignore it. Gaston contributed a higher number of goals & assists (combined) last season than Punch, in less games. One should have been kept, the other is an awful waste of space drain on resources. Is it because he isn't a "Carlos Kickball" as you so intelligently put it, which pretty much shows your stance on this.

AS for you calling over people whining, :lol:

I keep banging on about this, but you seem to blindly ignore it. Gaston contributed a higher number of goals & assists (combined) last season than Punch, in less games. One should have been kept, the other is an awful waste of space drain on resources. Is it because he isn't a "Carlos Kickball" as you so intelligently put it, which pretty much shows your stance on this.

He was whining, since he made the attention-seeking comment about his membership status. If he thinks this place isnt worth a fiver, f**k him.

The problems with Puncheon were about him not playing. He wanted to play for us. And imo he did pretty well once he came back in from the cold.

The Gash isnt committed to the cause, will never be, is happy not playing and taking his wages and legging it onto an Uruguayan Air plane bound for Montivideo at every opportunity. He's also a flat-track bully who looks wonderful when we are 3 goals to the better or playing crap NPC teams in p*ss-pot cups, but remarkably disappears into the ether whenever the team have their backs to the wall and need a performance out of him.

BTW, nice try with the racist jibe.. :rolleyes:

Edited by alpine_saint

Ramirez is tying up a lot more money than Puncheon would in relation to their return of goals/assists/appearances last season.

He was whining, since he made the attention-seeking comment about his membership status. If he thinks this place isnt worth a fiver, f**k him.

The problems with Puncheon were about him not playing. He wanted to play for us. And imo he did pretty well once he came back in from the cold.

The Gash isnt committed to the cause, will never be, is happy not playing and taking his wages and legging it onto an Uruguayan Air plane bound for Montivideo at every opportunity. He's also a flat-track bully who looks wonderful when we are 3 goals to the better or playing crap NPC teams in p*ss-pot cups, but remarkably disappears into the ether whenever the team have their backs to the wall and need a performance out of him.

BTW, nice try with the racist jibe.. :rolleyes:

You know this for a fact do you?

Why do you see the need to be so disrespectful to one of our players?

You know this for a fact do you?

Why do you see the need to be so disrespectful to one of our players?

Now come on, be fair. Alpine has been disrespectful to most of our players, managers, chairmen and supporters over the years.

I find it difficult to take the opinion of someone seriously when they make up childish nicknames for a player they don't like.

I hope you'll forgive me for not breaking down in tears and slashing my wrists at your post of mild disapproval....

BTW, I make up childish nicknames for players I do like too (e.g. Goolie), and I am afraid I cannot take credit for Gashy's nickname..

Because he's wasting his time, the clubs time, our time and the clubs money whilst achieving absolutely f**k all.

People might not necessarily agree with the way you say your opinion but most by now can not put up a good case as to why Gaston is here, its time to cut our loss's and just admit it hasn't worked out both GR and the club would be better off moving on

People might not necessarily agree with the way you say your opinion but most by now can not put up a good case as to why Gaston is here, its time to cut our loss's and just admit it hasn't worked out both GR and the club would be better off moving on

Thanks.

I think its unfortunate it hasnt worked out (and it hasnt despite what some might think - he is a lot older than some of the lads like Shaw and Chambers coming through, and they deliver more, and more consistently), but the club need to be pragmatic now; he is a massive cash drain and the folorn hope that one day he will roll back the bedclothes and become a regular reliable mainstay of the team after nearly 2 years is just bat crap crazy.

I hope you'll forgive me for not breaking down in tears and slashing my wrists at your post of mild disapproval....

BTW, I make up childish nicknames for players I do like too (e.g. Goolie), and I am afraid I cannot take credit for Gashy's nickname..

Mods please give me a suspension or whatever it is you do because I have to take umbrage with that cyber warrior Alpine Saint. I've no doubt at all that if he met Gaston Ramirez, any other Saints player he hates or indeed any of the Saints Web posters he slags off so brazenly from behind the safety curtain of his computer he would soil his pants in fear.

Whatever the thread here you can guarantee that if he has an input it will ultimately turn into a bigoted rant on his favorite subject, the reading of which will leave you to feel ashamed and dirty you even share forum space with him. A sort of shiver of revulsion at his endless store of bitterness and intolerance is what I feel when I read his words.That he apparently considers himself anything to do with the supporters of Southampton Football Club by virtue of posting on here only goes to show that there's all sorts that support our team - even the likes of him.The posting of his vile comments about some of our players and GR in particular makes me feel sick. He reminds me nothing more than a school playground bully who will pick on someone and pick on someone endlessly. When GR is gone it will be a new one. His type are always the same. Haters. The dark side, call it what you like. I call it scum.

I'd say its definitely up for debate, but I'm leaning more towards the pro-Gaston side. He gives the ball away too much, doesn't always play with enough intensity and could be stronger on the ball. However, he has also played two passes in the last couple of home games that nobody else in the squad would be capable of seeing or playing. The first was against Spurs when we were chasing another equaliser, threading an incredibly well weighted pass through to Lallana who couldn't beat Lloris. Then against Chelsea he clipped a stunning pass through to Rodriguez who was tackled before he could finish. Both of those had me out of my seat.

He has phenomenal talent, its just whether it can be fulfilled, and I don't mind admitting that I would have expected to see much more from him by now. Still, I'm willing to stick with him and hopefully he shows more improvement when he gets a run in the team - I'm sure Pochettino is doing his best to bring the performances out of him.

Top post

Mods please give me a suspension or whatever it is you do because I have to take umbrage with that cyber warrior Alpine Saint. I've no doubt at all that if he met Gaston Ramirez, any other Saints player he hates or indeed any of the Saints Web posters he slags off so brazenly from behind the safety curtain of his computer he would soil his pants in fear.

Whatever the thread here you can guarantee that if he has an input it will ultimately turn into a bigoted rant on his favorite subject, the reading of which will leave you to feel ashamed and dirty you even share forum space with him. A sort of shiver of revulsion at his endless store of bitterness and intolerance is what I feel when I read his words.That he apparently considers himself anything to do with the supporters of Southampton Football Club by virtue of posting on here only goes to show that there's all sorts that support our team - even the likes of him.The posting of his vile comments about some of our players and GR in particular makes me feel sick. He reminds me nothing more than a school playground bully who will pick on someone and pick on someone endlessly. When GR is gone it will be a new one. His type are always the same. Haters. The dark side, call it what you like. I call it scum.

Someone post that picture of him, I could do with a laugh.

Hope you feel better after that.

Do you have a comment to make about permanently losing Puncheon, and the reasons behind it, which after all was the purpose of the thead ?

it's been fascinating to see opinions about Puncheon change on this forum as it was Schneiderlin before him. It will be equally interesting to see how Ramirez does going forward and whether the gash tag sticks forever.

Surprising, considering the only assumption that can be made by your desperate attempt to demonstrate your hatred of Ramirez by shoehorning a reference to him into every single thread is that you're seeking approval and validation from everyone.

Yeah because we're now in the Prem, he didn't give a toss about us when we were in League 1. He's a handy squad player for a bottom half premiership side but comes across as borderline autistic.

Surprising, considering the only assumption that can be made by your desperate attempt to demonstrate your hatred of Ramirez by shoehorning a reference to him into every single thread is that you're seeking approval and validation from everyone.

Sorry, my posting activity is not so premediated.

And hatred is a strong word, dude. I have nothing against the person (apart from a slightly suspect temperament, imo), I just think he is either crap or not suited to our club.

Yeah because we're now in the Prem, he didn't give a toss about us when we were in League 1. He's a handy squad player for a bottom half premiership side but comes across as borderline autistic.

And what will Gashy's attitude be like when/if we slip into the bottom half of the table (2 places away) or worse ? It was already atrocious when we were top 4, in a CL position, playing for top spot.

Says the man that has given a childish derogatory nickname to a player of the club he "supports"... :rolleyes: :mcinnes:

I didnt give him the nickname; I've just been more than happy taking over the torch-bearing...

And how amusing to see someone lecturing about calling someone childish use the phrase "Says the man..."

And what will Gashy's attitude be like when/if we slip into the bottom half of the table (2 places away) or worse ? It was already atrocious when we were top 4, in a CL position, playing for top spot.

What like all of last season? It was fine, I don't recall him going onto twitter once braaaaping at Cortese

I concur with Giordano Post , a player may or not be doing showing the class he is capable of at present , bu that does not allow folk to have an open negative shooting season

against them

I like the likes of Gaston , he is a quaility player and for what ever reasons he has not yet settled or the team formation does not suit his style of play

I am convinced either with us or another club he will be a mega star, I personnally do not want him to leave , same with yoshida

I concur with Giordano Post , a player may or not be doing showing the class he is capable of at present , bu that does not allow folk to have an open negative shooting season

against them

I like the likes of Gaston , he is a quaility player and for what ever reasons he has not yet settled or the team formation does not suit his style of play

I am convinced either with us or another club he will be a mega star, I personnally do not want him to leave , same with yoshida

I'd quite like them to keep Gaston, I think he'd be ideal for our system but he needs to improve his mental game, I don't think it's lack of effort but he can be so slow on the ball and isn't up to the pace of the premiership atm. He can see some good passes but most of the time seems to have the ball nicked off him whilst he's casually dribbling trying deciding what to do with it. The only problem is he hasn't shown any improvement in this area whatsoever, which you would've hoped would come after a year playing here.

Alpine

Your on my ignore list. and there you will remain

however on this occassion I will respond to your last post

So how long and how many squandered oppotunities does he get ? Pity Billy Sharp wasnt give so many chances, but then he didnt cost 12 big ones.

And citing KP just underlines the paucity of your argument. A selfish Billy Big B*ll*cks who is now a has-been.

You have your views , I have mine, my ethos is to get behind players , get them motivated etc

After all as a hockey coach , I try to get the best out of my players , I get them playing to their strengths etc, and try to get them to believe in themselves

I have a range of players in my hockey squad, but collectively they are a brilliant team even those who have less hockeying ability

I certainly do not berate them , moan at them etc .

As A saints fan I get behind the team and players, Im certainly not going to change that . I am a saints fan thru and thru. yes it hurts when we lose but unlike you

I see the positive side of the club having watched them for over five decades.

I genuinely wished you happy new year the other day and thought start of a new year I could have a rational debate with you , clearly I cannot .

But I wish you al;l the best, unfortunately I will still see your posts even though you are on my ignore list

Regards

Come On you saints

Viking

PAP

Lol ,

I do man up I just want to continue with the forum its is really good at times.

but there are times when I want to say to a small number of posters a few choice words but I do not want to be banned

I have some friends, aquaitenances and those that know me on this forum

I will leave you with the following quote , most of which applies to the majority of forum members

A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.”

but for those that this does not apply to then remeber the following There is no darkness just ignorance.

And hatred is a strong word, dude. I have nothing against the person (apart from a slightly suspect temperament, imo), I just think he is either crap or not suited to our club.

You have nothing against the "lazy, money grabbing 'Carlos kick a ball' who ****s off back to Uruguay at every opportunity"? Ok then "dude".

Alpine

I have not bothered to open a post where you have been abusive towards me, I have been advised about the content of one of your many posts

Im not a drama queen, just being diplomatic and avoiding being confrontational with you by not rising to your bait

If I did I think I will probably be infracted again as I was in the past because of a previous spat with you .

Regards

Mike

Sorry fella, but having met Viking Warrior numerous times at the football back in the Dell days, I would go with his judgement more than many others on here. Peace out.

I reckon the vast majority of you are top blokes in reality, but VWs internet persona is rapidly turning into that of a screaming old biddy.

Have you ever actually seen him play? Serious question.