Ramírez and Lambert

John B

Agree with your defence of RL, whose record and time here have been exceptional.

But disagree with the rest of the post, in particular regarding Alan Ball, a truly world class player, who like RL was instrumental in our rise - only one division perhaps - but helped us establish as a top side.

Being pedantic, Channon, and MLT came through the youth ranks, and Paine also came through as a youngster (although there was fee involved from Winchester City).

KK, Shilton - good, mega-signings in their day, but neither really had the impact of elevating the club as Alan Ball did. To say Bally, is not in the same league as those two is utterly ridiculous. Listen to KK speak of his time at Saints, and even as twice European Player of The Year, he said he was in awe of Bally, and learnt things from him. Stating the obvious, but one of the three have played in a World Cup winning team, and you know which one it was.

Difficult to disagree with that too much really. All good players and I guess we all have favourites. One thing we can probably agree on is that the Keegan / Ball era was up there as one of the best.

Its all about the standard at the time, could have signed a World Cup winner still playing well in the 3rd division? Its all about the standard you are playing, Lambert has been a brilliant signing and talisman for us, Ball was nearing the end of his career and I supspect wanted a challenge to prolong his career and he succeeded in this, both great signings but both can not compare to Keegan and Shilton.

Osvaldo and Ramirez have played 49 games and scored 9 goals between them -

That equates to £650,285.71 per game or £3,540,444.44 per goal (based on wages earned so far + transfer fee)

Wow!! & ouch!

better value than Bale has been for Madrid

For those that like stats try this:

http://www.squawka.com/players/gaston-ramirez#performance-score#southampton-(current)#english-barclays-premier-league#8#season-2013/2014#64#all-matches#1-20#by-match

Will be worth watching as he gets a run in the team to see how these stats develop. I'm a fan but there's no denying he has yet to deliver. Just that I have high hopes for him - particularly when he starts playing alongisde Osvaldo..

Its all about the standard at the time, could have signed a World Cup winner still playing well in the 3rd division? Its all about the standard you are playing, Lambert has been a brilliant signing and talisman for us, Ball was nearing the end of his career and I supspect wanted a challenge to prolong his career and he succeeded in this, both great signings but both can not compare to Keegan and Shilton.

...and I'd include the signing of Ron Davies from Norwich as a master stroke from Ted Bates.