Danny Ings

simo

I guess Tadic did one v Sunderland when Mannone was caught in no man's land too.

So we haven't scored any goals in the Prem this season from outside the box when the keeper hasn't been massively out of position (Arsenal / Sunderland / Hull)? Is that normal for us?

I don't remember many from last season. A couple of Lambert free kicks, Rodriguez's amusing effort at Palace, Clyne in the cup against Burnley, Ramirez at Goodison. There were probably a few more but by no means loads.

We need to sign Charlie Adam, that'll sort this issue out.

• 2 weeks later...
He's a crap player, but for a mid table side like Stoke his 7 or 8 goals a season are pretty valuable

He's anything but a crap player. Not a world beater by any means, but a solid, reliable pro who always seems to produce what's needed when its needed.

• 1 month later...
How many midfielders have we got who score 7 or 8 goals a season?

None and I've regularly bemoaned that fact. As i said, his goals are very valuable for a midfielder and he can certainly strike a ball cleanly from distance. That's all he can do IMO, but it's a pretty great attribute to have

Thought I'd better face up to it and post on here today. Stand by what i said (was told); so I guess he just changed his mind. Not the first or last time a human will do that...

But hypo can have his or her day. :-)

Do we now say we would prefer Austin anyway? As much as I hate to say it for a development fee only Liverpool can't really go wrong!

Ings is, was and always will be twice the player Austin is. Ings in the Saints team would have been a very good thing. He is an intelligent, technically gifted team player. Austin in the same team......he'll always score goals but our build up play will break down with him just as often. He'd get his share of headlines, more so than Ings probably, but he's half the player.

Ings is, was and always will be twice the player Austin is. Ings in the Saints team would have been a very good thing. He is an intelligent, technically gifted team player. Austin in the same team......he'll always score goals but our build up play will break down with him just as often. He'd get his share of headlines, more so than Ings probably, but he's half the player.

It's ******** to suggest that Austin has no build up play, in the same way that it was when people said it about Lambert. Just ill-informed comments.

I never said that he had bad build up play. Take a breath before you get your demon fingers out. I wouldn't be disappointed with Austin. Sometimes there is a chance to get a player who represents real progress and, for me, Ings was one of those chances (as Song also is). I'm just disappointed we have missed out on such a player who, as it happens, is also a Saints fan. Austin isn't bad. He just isn't Ings. Ings doesn't give the ball away lightly. Austin......he's pretty average as a build up player but not necessarily bad.

I never said that he had bad build up play. Take a breath before you get your demon fingers out. I wouldn't be disappointed with Austin. Sometimes there is a chance to get a player who represents real progress and, for me, Ings was one of those chances (as Song also is). I'm just disappointed we have missed out on such a player who, as it happens, is also a Saints fan. Austin isn't bad. He just isn't Ings. Ings doesn't give the ball away lightly. Austin......he's pretty average as a build up player but not necessarily bad.

I disagree he is an average or poor build up player. I've seen many instances this year where he has shown decent build up play.

I disagree he is an average or poor build up player. I've seen many instances this year where he has shown decent build up play.

It is your right to disagree. I think Ings is on another level both in terms of retention and vision but I don't want to keep banging on about Ings so it looks like I'm his long lost lover. I would be, as I said, not disappointed with Austin. He's not a bad player. He has many plus points. I just don't see that he represents real progress for us but I will cheer very loudly when he shoves that down my throat next season.

It is your right to disagree. I think Ings is on another level both in terms of retention and vision but I don't want to keep banging on about Ings so it looks like I'm his long lost lover. I would be, as I said, not disappointed with Austin. He's not a bad player. He has many plus points. I just don't see that he represents real progress for us but I will cheer very loudly when he shoves that down my throat next season.

Is he really all that though? I mean you're going in hard with the man love there.

What do you mean by progress though? Don't know what you're getting at there really.