Danny Ings

simo

I was year above him at Netley junior school, he played in our year group for Hamble Harriers/Itchen Boys cos he was too good for his age group. Never remember him supporting anyone at that age although we would have only been 8/9/10 years old-ish.

Vokes is definitely a Saints fan, I went to college with his cousin, who came across as a massive Bournemouth fan. Then when Vokes moved to Wolves, he became a massive Wolves fan, gave it the large one when they beat us.

I think I knew the same cousin! I think he now supports Chelsea after realising it was becoming a bit silly supporting every club which Vokes got loaned too!

I thought that too, in fact quite a few of their players looked similar especially the guy called Treacy !

Didn't seem to hinder their movement but it was noticeable !

(Maybe their kit was too tight:))

We were linked with him once upon a time whilst he was at Preston.

Saints fan is he?

Same for vokes?

Certainly was. When he was with Bournemouth and they weren't playing he used to go games at SMS.

Don't know Vokes but have been told he used to follow Saints home and away with his old man.

Certainly was. When he was with Bournemouth and they weren't playing he used to go games at SMS.

Don't know Vokes but have been told he used to follow Saints home and away with his old man.

When we first moved to St Marys his old man used to bring him to the Parkside before games. He was about 12 at the time, i'd guess.

I have a mutual friend of wade elliot and he is a big saints fan and was gutted to be roundly boo'd by the northam years ago when he played for burnley (i think it was)

Wade was in my year group at school and college. He used to sit in the lower east stand at the Dell. For some reason he turned Billy big boots and was a ***** when he played us. Deserved to be booed. Don't know him now but have a lot of mutual friends. He is wearing a pink suit on his Facebook profile.... Says a lot about him now.

Was in town last night with him as he used to play with one of my mates when he went to Hamble school. Was saying he would leave if Burnley don't get promoted but otherwise for now he's happy and wants to stay.

Central or RollCall? ?

Jordan Rhodes did not start against Man City today because his manager says he cannot play a lone striker role, he is not mobile enough. So no chance of him coming here unless you are looking for another player to bait.

Ricky isn't particularly mobile but we manage with him up front on his own so not sure about that argument.

I think Rhodes is young enough and decent enough to be converted to a more Lamberesque lone striker role if we really wanted him.

He's also already proven over several seasons. There's goals in the guy for sure.

However Ings does look interesting too. Looks to me like he's carrying a bit of excess but if he ever came here he'd shave off a few pounds which would make him even sharper. With his Saints connections the fans would probably cut him some slack too whilst he was adjusting.

Hi, Burnley fan here - just a couple of things about Ings.

1. He's almost certainly not for sale in January - like with Rodriguez two years ago, and Austin last year, we'll keep hold of him until summer (when he'll have 1 year left on his contract). We won't be selling when things are going so well, and when we're on course for financial break-even this year.

2. If he and Vokes looked fat, it's probably because of the shirt design. They've both played every game (well, Ings missed one) and both have rarely been subbed because we don't have a reserve forward. Fitness isn't an issue.

Better. He's got much more of an all-round game than Austin, and he's a better goalscorer (based on Rodriguez' time at Burnley) than Rodriguez was. Add to that he's 18 months' younger than Rodriguez was when you signed him (they were born almost exactly 3 years apart).

Better. He's got much more of an all-round game than Austin, and he's a better goalscorer (based on Rodriguez' time at Burnley) than Rodriguez was. Add to that he's 18 months' younger than Rodriguez was when you signed him (they were born almost exactly 3 years apart).

But he has spent more of his professional career out injured than playing and has had at least 2 years cut off his career due to knee injuries already.

I'd rather have Rodriguez.

As if he is better than JRod....

I bet if most Burnley fans were offered JRod back in exchange for Ings they would take it...

Yes, probably (though I wouldn't want to rock the boat at present). But Ings is better now than JRod was when he was at Burnley. 18 months of Premier League football has made a big difference, as you'd expect.

As if he is better than JRod....

I bet if most Burnley fans were offered JRod back in exchange for Ings they would take it...

Surely it is more about potential? Ings is a fair way behind Rodriguez in his development so it is more of a case of "does he have the potential to be better than" not "is he better then"

Either way potential is subjective and tricky to value, a player is always one injury away from oblivion, but I like what I have seen of him so far and I get the impression plenty of Burnley fans do too.

I said we should have signed Vokes a few years ago.

Got shouted down then saying 'he'd never be good enough' for us even in the Championship.

Mind you, I also got shot down when I suggested that we sign this bloke - and that ended terribly... http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-7620.html?

"HE'D NEVER BE GOOD ENOUGH FOR US, EVEN IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!"

Yes, probably (though I wouldn't want to rock the boat at present). But Ings is better now than JRod was when he was at Burnley. 18 months of Premier League football has made a big difference, as you'd expect.

ings is more prolific than jay ever was. it's only one season though. he might be josh mcquoid. probably not but maybe.

I said we should have signed Vokes a few years ago.

Got shouted down then saying 'he'd never be good enough' for us even in the Championship.

Mind you, I also got shot down when I suggested that we sign this bloke - and that ended terribly... http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-7620.html?

But Vokes is crap and wouldn't have gotten into our team at any stage since we got bought out.

• 1 year later...
He's good but not top club good yet, and ironically he won't become that by joining one of them in the summer. Liverpool will ruin him. Best option is Saints, maybe Spurs or a move abroad. But guess when out of contract he'll just go for the money.

Shame, he'd be great as competition with Pelle with loads of European games.

Agree, totally

Where ever he goes he will no doubt get a good pay rise. So that would be taken care of

Move to the traditional top 4 club (any of the 5) then he is a fool.

Just picked up on mention earlier in this thread of Ings having played for Hamble Harriers. Are the Harriers still going? Amazing if so. Takes me back about 40 years to the original team sponsored by the Harrier pub.

Don't know about the football team but the pub was knocked down a few weeks ago

• 3 weeks later...

as he's been brought up again in the summer transfer business thread, i have been racking my brain to think who we might have kept in preference when we let him go.

the only strikers i can remember from the youth teams are matthew paterson, jamie white, sam gallagher, and ryan seager. the first two are a couple of years older than ings and the latter two are several years younger.

anybody got any ideas who were our youth strikers of ings' generation?

as he's been brought up again in the summer transfer business thread, i have been racking my brain to think who we might have kept in preference when we let him go.

the only strikers i can remember from the youth teams are matthew paterson, jamie white, sam gallagher, and ryan seager. the first two are a couple of years older than ings and the latter two are several years younger.

anybody got any ideas who were our youth strikers of ings' generation?

What age was he released?

• 1 month later...
He has shown he can score goals in the PL.

We're a top 6 club, top 8 at worst. Ings isn't good enough to be a regular for any top half club. He's barely good enough to make our bench. We can easily sign Austin so we'd have Pelle, Austin, Rodriguez, Mane and Long as options upfront. Where would Ings fit in?

Rubbish. Much as I would like Austin, I would be very happy with Ings. No idea if we have any chance of getting him precisly because other clubs will be in for him. This statement just confirms what is already pretty well rumoured by others, i.e that he has his head screwed on the right way and is a very decent bloke. His performances this season in a team that has been in the bottom three most of the time have been very strong.

Edited by Bucks Saint

I have a mutual friend of wade elliot and he is a big saints fan and was gutted to be roundly boo'd by the northam years ago when he played for burnley (i think it was)

Why was he boo'd? he never even played for us. went to Barton Pevril about 10 years before I did I think, recall his picture being on a wall somewhere there