Burnley Build up

Batman

We're probably going to lose and then most of you can be happy that we can focus on finishing possibly a few places higher in a league that we won't be anywhere near the top or bottom in. Ridiculous.

Well said.

I love the FA Cup. There is nothing better than being in the draw with discussion about who we want to play and seeing big fixtures pulled out the hat.

We're probably going to lose and then most of you can be happy that we can focus on finishing possibly a few places higher in a league that we won't be anywhere near the top or bottom in. Ridiculous.

Well if we should lose then it will just go to show that our "academy first" policy isn't working because players who are in the 1st team squad at a PL club will have been beaten by a Championship side. I think we mlight even see such budding stars as Turnbull and Isgrove getting a game.

If, for whatever reason, Saints are knocked out of the Cup tomorrow, Pochettino deserves to be fired. Already he seems to have delegated responsibility to Perez and if the best players are rested then

he doesn't deserve to continue, doesn't understand the importance of the FA Cup for clubs in the Premier League.

Well said.

I love the FA Cup. There is nothing better than being in the draw with discussion about who we want to play and seeing big fixtures pulled out the hat.

And then saying, "boring!" If we draw anything other than a trip to Old Trafford, Anfield or the Emirates.

I disagree with Griffo, nobody is going to be happy to get knocked out and we certainly aren't, "probably going to lose". It's a lower league team at home for crying out loud. They may be a decent Championship team but Fox, Jos and Kelvin were decent Championship players. If our reserves were League 1 quality I'd be worried but they aren't, we don't have anyone that bad in the squad.

Just had email from club suggesting there is a very high amount of tickets booked for collection so try and get there early or even collect today if possible.

yes but only because everyone has to claim their ticket for tomorrow whereas normally 2/3 of the attendees already have their ST and don't need to do anything else. Instead of doling out about 2000 tickets as per usual tomorrow they'll have to give out over 10000 I expect. Stress exceptional on the ticket office.

This. People deriding the FA Cup while at the same time wetting their pants over the hotly contested battle to finish eighth or ninth in the league. Wow. Riveting. Who needs Wembley.

And then saying, "boring!" If we draw anything other than a trip to Old Trafford, Anfield or the Emirates.

I disagree with Griffo, nobody is going to be happy to get knocked out and we certainly aren't, "probably going to lose". It's a lower league team at home for crying out loud. They may be a decent Championship team but Fox, Jos and Kelvin were decent Championship players. If our reserves were League 1 quality I'd be worried but they aren't, we don't have anyone that bad in the squad.

No actually, I'd be annoyed if we got them away as it would probably mean getting knocked out. I'd be happier with someone like Bournemouth, Reading or Brighton away.

The FA Cup also gives us the chance to play portsmouth, although not this season.

If we're going to end up in the Europa League, I'd rather win the FA Cup to get there.

I hate being told by the club that we are talking this competition seriously, only for this to be published on the OS...

Team news

Saints are assessing James Ward-Prowse and Nathaniel Clyne after both suffered knocks during the second half of Wednesday’s league defeat by Chelsea.

Dani Osvaldo is back in training after recuperating from a recent illness suffered while coming back from a leg injury sustained against Newcastle three weeks ago.

Guly do Prado and Lloyd Isgrove are also nearing fitness having trained yesterday after both undergoing knee operations at the end of last year.

Tomorrow’s game will be Southampton’s ninth since the start of December, so Pochettino may look to shuffle his squad somewhat to give players a deserved rest.

The likes of Danny Fox, Maya Yoshida and Jos Hooiveld will be pushing for starts after missing out in recent matches, as will Rickie Lambert, who was benched against Chelsea on New Year’s Day.

Young striker Sam Gallagher could be in contention for his first Southampton start after a number of substitute appearances of late, while Harrison Reed will be aiming for his first inclusion in starting XI at St Mary’s.

Edited by SaintNeil90

I hate being told by the club that we are talking this competition seriously, only for this to be published on the OS...

Team news

Saints are assessing James Ward-Prowse and Nathaniel Clyne after both suffered knocks during the second half of Wednesday’s league defeat by Chelsea.

Dani Osvaldo is back in training after recuperating from a recent illness suffered while coming back from a leg injury sustained against Newcastle three weeks ago.

Guly do Prado and Lloyd Isgrove are also nearing fitness having trained yesterday after both undergoing knee operations at the end of last year.

Tomorrow’s game will be Southampton’s ninth since the start of December, so Pochettino may look to shuffle his squad somewhat to give players a deserved rest.

The likes of Danny Fox, Maya Yoshida and Jos Hooiveld will be pushing for starts after missing out in recent matches, as will Rickie Lambert, who was benched against Chelsea on New Year’s Day.

Young striker Sam Gallagher could be in contention for his first Southampton start after a number of substitute appearances of late, while Harrison Reed will be aiming for his first inclusion in starting XI at St Mary’s.

we were always going to play the squad odds and sods and make up the numbers with kids, why do you think we've only sold 15 K ticket at 20£ or less. If we weren't going to play Gazza in goal I could even believe that our "junior" side might be good enough to win but he's worth a 2 goal start to the opposition, especially with the back 4 that he'll have. I just feel sorry for Maya because he's going to be associated with crap again and he really doesn't deserve that. The December games have knocked the stuffing out of us so there's a need for recuperation tomorrow.

Fitness permitting my team, bearing in mind a lot look tired.

Davis

Clyne

Yoshida

Fonte

Fox

Cork

Jwp

Jrod

Lallana

Gaston

Osvaldo

Gazza

Jos

Morgan

Reed

Gallagher

Lambert

Davis

Give lovren a rest IMO

dream on, the team will look something like

Davis or Gazza

Clyne Jos (or Turnbull if Jos is still in the doghouse) Maya Clyne (if fit not even sure)

Reed JWP

Isgrove Gaston First teamer to be drawn out of a hat

Osvaldo or Gallagher

If, for whatever reason, Saints are knocked out of the Cup tomorrow, Pochettino deserves to be fired. Already he seems to have delegated responsibility to Perez and if the best players are rested then

he doesn't deserve to continue, doesn't understand the importance of the FA Cup for clubs in the Premier League.

I disagree. I think Pochettino would be unwise to risk our best players. To me the Premier League matters, the FA CUP is a sideshow. Looks like the fan base is split into two camps on this one.

dream on, the team will look something like

Davis or Gazza

Clyne Jos (or Turnbull if Jos is still in the doghouse) Maya Clyne (if fit not even sure)

Reed JWP

Isgrove Gaston First teamer to be drawn out of a hat

Osvaldo or Gallagher

Would love to see Clyne at RB and LB. Shame the LB version may not be fit.

Seriously though would be good for Isgrove to get a go. or a decent amount of time for Gallagher, haven't seen enough of him yet.

Team news

Well they've nearly named half the team there! Lambert and Gallgher possibly both to play?

Would love to see Clyne at RB and LB. Shame the LB version may not be fit.

Seriously though would be good for Isgrove to get a go. or a decent amount of time for Gallagher, haven't seen enough of him yet.

Oops, it's this mental block that I've got, can't even bring myself to type F*x.

By the by isn't he an ex Burnley player as well, don't see the press (or the club for that matter) bigging that up anywhere.

I guess if they announce that he'll be playing in advance the crowd will instantly shrink by a couple of Ks.

No actually, I'd be annoyed if we got them away as it would probably mean getting knocked out. I'd be happier with someone like Bournemouth, Reading or Brighton away.

The FA Cup also gives us the chance to play portsmouth, although not this season.

If we're going to end up in the Europa League, I'd rather win the FA Cup to get there.

That will involve beating at least one big club 99% of the time. The Skates getting West Brom in the semis and Cardiff in the final was very rare and even they had to win at Old Trafford to get to the final.

That will involve beating at least one big club 99% of the time. The Skates getting West Brom in the semis and Cardiff in the final was very rare and even they had to win at Old Trafford to get to the final.

You were having a pop at people for "giving up on the league" in January the other day.

If you think us incapable of beating a "big club" in a one off game where on earth do you think we can finish in the league?

We can beat one big club. We could beat four if we were lucky.

We can beat one big club. We could beat four if we were lucky.

I was just pointing out the contradiction in someone saying we can win the FA Cup but we will probably get knocked out if we get drawn away to a big club. If we want to win the cup we will have to beat one or 2 big boys on the way, probably at either a neutral venue or possibly an away tie.

"Probably"? You seem very confident, so I presume you're going to have a bet on it? As for most of us being happy, I'll leave that happiness to you, your winning bet and smug " I told you so". If you win that bet, that is...

Oops, it's this mental block that I've got, can't even bring myself to type F*x.

By the by isn't he an ex Burnley player as well, don't see the press (or the club for that matter) bigging that up anywhere.

I guess if they announce that he'll be playing in advance the crowd will instantly shrink by a couple of Ks.

Nah, I think all the doubters have already been put off by your miserabilist and depressing posts. We're just left with the financially comfortable hard core now.:-)

It's going to be interesting with the amount of rain we have had in last week. Absolutely belting down still.

Any news/suggestions of a pitch inspection ?

About to set off from Glos, 'Sods Law' we'll be somewhere south of Newbury or Winchester before hearing.

@mikelewis1989: @SouthamptonFC is the game still going ahead today? #saintsfc #FACup

@SouthamptonFC: .@mikelewis1989 We've had no indication otherwise. #saintsfc

Does sound quite as categorical as last week...

Edited by trousers

Four Accrington fans went down to Pompey for their League Two game today, but the game was called off due a waterlogged pitch.

James Beattie heard about these fans on Twitter, and has bought them all tickets to Saints vs Burnley instead, so they have something to do.

Top man!

Four Accrington fans went down to Pompey for their League Two game today, but the game was called off due a waterlogged pitch.

James Beattie heard about these fans on Twitter, and has bought them all tickets to Saints vs Burnley instead, so they have something to do.

I have a lot of respect for that. Always been class has Beattie and genuinely hope he does well in management. He was my favourite saint growing up and would love to see him back with the club in some capacity one day!

Good shout lol