Burnley Build up

Batman

Can see lots of changes for this. The players looked very tired against Chelsea

Lots of changes and lots of squinnying about it on here

we're talking about a pretty good Championship side... but nevertheless ..we know the gap between NPC and the Prem. is more than just 3 places.

Even if we field half-a dozen " bench players " ....we ought have enough quality to get a result.....if not it doesn't auger well for their future.

I am not trolling. I think MLG has a very strong argument, but I also believe strongly in safety first ! The Premier League must not be taken for granted. Also, as well as safety consider the rewards that each place is worth financially in the Premier League. I would rather we finish 12th in the league with no Cup than say 16th and with the FA Cup.

Fair enough. But I'd guess the majority of us would want the opposite. Me for starters.

Tough game against a very confident side who'll want to prove they can do it against top flight opposition. Draw is terrible for both teams, so it'll probably be that!

I think both clubs should agree that if it's a draw after 89 minutes, the coaches toss a coin, and the team losing the toss scores an own goal in the 90th minute.

I'm going. I think we should play all the fringe players that we are likely to need in the first team plus first teamers that are short of game time. Gazzaniga should be given a game, Clyne, Yoshida, Hooiveld, Targett? Fox), Ramirez, JWP, Reed, Lee, Gallagher, Osvaldo, also.

like the league cup, Saints will take a cant be bothered attitude to the Fa cup, so I will take the can't be bothered to attend attitude. i fell for it last season when I went to Leeds and realised we didn't want to progress, I'm not falling for that one again!

i go to all home and most away saints games, but saints have to earn my support before I go to another cup game

I could say the same about people who put the Cup before the League, but I believe in free speech and a diversity of opinions.

Oh Dalek you are so funny. Can just imagine you are chuckling away at that pearler.

Do your routine about a completely ridiculous points target we need to stay up. 46 is it now? Oh, how we laughed.

Oh Dalek you are so funny. Can just imagine you are chuckling away at that pearler.

Do your routine about a completely ridiculous points target we need to stay up. 46 is it now? Oh, how we laughed.

Nothing like a bit of complacency is there CBFRY ?

I hate the view on the cup. From Lambert's point of view he wants to keep his job though, and that comes down to Premier League results. The way things are going isn't sustainable. Football is supposed to be entertainment, I don't want fewer matches, winter breaks and no cups. The FA cup is one of the best cup competitions in sport. Top flight clubs not taking it seriously will harm lower league clubs too. Even if drawn against big clubs they won't play the best players anymore, and if by some miracle they beat them, it'll be more about the players rested or the club not caring than a romantic victory for the underdog.

The Champions League has become too big and dominant now, but personally I find it incredibly tedious in the group stages and many of the first leg games. Mix it up by giving a CL place for winning the FA Cup and people might start taking it more seriously. Ditch the league cup perhaps, or make it an u23 or u21 cup if you want to give younger players more football. Ditch the Europa League too then have 4 league places and 1 cup place entering the European league. Would love to see that as just a random draw too but it'll never happen. All just about money and pandering to the biggest clubs.

I'd still love Saints to win the FA Cup. We've won nothing for decades and aren't going to win the league. We missed our 2 big opportunities for league titles in 2011 and 2012. I'm sure Arsenal fans would absolutely love to win it too.

I'd be in favour of a winter break personally, it would only mean the tedious summer break is a month shorter. It should mean fewer injuries and matches cancelled due to weather, particularly in the lower leagues. I think it would also mean stronger teams in the cups, whereas at the moment we're asking already tired players to play 6 games in 3 weeks over the Xmas period. I'd have a new years day fixture, then nothing until 1st weekend of Feb.

I do like the idea of a CL spot for the FA Cup winners though. Also U23s only in the LC or something like that.

I hate the view on the cup. From Lambert's point of view he wants to keep his job though, and that comes down to Premier League results. The way things are going isn't sustainable. Football is supposed to be entertainment, I don't want fewer matches, winter breaks and no cups. The FA cup is one of the best cup competitions in sport. Top flight clubs not taking it seriously will harm lower league clubs too. Even if drawn against big clubs they won't play the best players anymore, and if by some miracle they beat them, it'll be more about the players rested or the club not caring than a romantic victory for the underdog.

The Champions League has become too big and dominant now, but personally I find it incredibly tedious in the group stages and many of the first leg games. Mix it up by giving a CL place for winning the FA Cup and people might start taking it more seriously. Ditch the league cup perhaps, or make it an u23 or u21 cup if you want to give younger players more football. Ditch the Europa League too then have 4 league places and 1 cup place entering the European league. Would love to see that as just a random draw too but it'll never happen. All just about money and pandering to the biggest clubs.

I'd still love Saints to win the FA Cup. We've won nothing for decades and aren't going to win the league. We missed our 2 big opportunities for league titles in 2011 and 2012. I'm sure Arsenal fans would absolutely love to win it too.

I agree with your sentiments about the FA Cup. It is the grandest of old competitions. But, we need to be hard nosed about things. At this moment in history the Premier League is what will decide Saints future. Slip out of it at your peril.

BTW you can hurl as much abuse at me as you like. My opinion stands regarding league over cup at this point in our history. Can't see that has anything to do with trolling, I am surprised you include such a lazy point in an otherwise very valid opinion, albeit opposite to my own.

Fine, go along with it, edit it, repeat x10,000, we know the routine. But 12th rather than 16th with a cup is not the same as 'league before cup'. 16th is safe and fairly rubbish, 12th is safe and impressing no-one still. I struggle to believe any football fan would choose 12th over 16th and a trophy, and that's the argument you put forward, nothing else. So if that's your opinion, then IMO, you are an idiot, a troll, or as everyone knew from the beginning, both.

Get used to reading "IMO we will finish 14th and flirt with relegation" as that is what is on the dalekotron's script this year. I'm hoping for a malfunction so we can enjoy "yo-yo" strategy and "down on 43 points" again.

I can only imagine a winter break meaning players having holidays and actually joining in with the festivities. Not good for fitness and I doubt players would be any sharper. Mainly I just love Christmas football, and the sport is supposed to be about the fans. But I really don't buy the winter break excuse, it was just fairly uninterested England managers looking for an excuse. It doesn't excuse daft selections and tactics or a simple lack of quality. A lot of English players don't even play CL football so have far less football over the year.

Any fan in favour of a winter break must have a pretty decent boxing day lined up, because mine would be ****.

I'd keep the traditional Boxing day and New Years fixtures, then have a break after that. Obviously we would have to make sure our players maintain their fitness over the break but I don't think a weeks holiday in the new year is going to turn them all in to Ade Akinfenwa.

If we were allowed to organise our own training regime over January without the need to play any matches, our players would come back in February much fresher and fitter than they are now.

You know this, as do the others, but to clarify, labelling someone a troll means you don't believe what they've stated is their opinion. It's got nothing to do with freedom of speech, opposing views and so on.

I'm surprised there is anyone who doesn't have him on their ignore list. His ramblings are utterly pointless and it is well know he just posts nonsense in the hope of a tedious argument. There really is no point what so ever in talking to him.

You know this, as do the others, but to clarify, labelling someone a troll means you don't believe what they've stated is their opinion. It's got nothing to do with freedom of speech, opposing views and so on.

Your entitled to your opinion, but I think you accused me of being a troll because it is an easy option instead of engaging in a debate that you were afraid of losing.

I will be amazed if we get 19K actually, the thought of the team that we're going to put out has turned me right off of this game because Burnley are a good side and we'll put out a bad one.

Really? I find the opportunity to see new young players and different formations quite interesting, and although it's always good to see stars (like when we had MLT) it's not why I go. The fact that I'm not going on Saturday is not through lack of interest in a particular Saints line up, who the opposition is or the fact that it's the FA cup. It's purely a matter of expense, what with Christmas and NY, lack of work and going on holiday at the end of January. I might have been tempted with lower prices: club please note!

I'd be in favour of a winter break personally,.

You are honestly the only fan I have ever heard call for that. January is a sh1t month anyway and if we lost football woudl be horrendous.

And see PSG played Real in the Emirates this week. They ain't resting just taking the Arab coin.

3 home games on trot at this time of year with the forecast. Not ideal but I'll be there as still love the FA cup and hate it when we go out.

I can't believe so many fans who say they couldn't care less. PL existence being someone's goal for their club is so desperate.

You are honestly the only fan I have ever heard call for that. January is a sh1t month anyway and if we lost football woudl be horrendous.

And see PSG played Real in the Emirates this week. They ain't resting just taking the Arab coin.

Each to their own, personally I don't find January that horrendous. I can certainly live without watching football for a month, especially if it means the summer break is a month shorter.

Anyone who watched the game on NYD could see the team are shattered. They need a break.

It was clear all over the XMas period, we cut back on our pressing game and some of those demanding the first team plays again were those moaning we weren't pressing like usual.

Yes I would love a good cup run, but one of the most often stated issues with "Kids" is you have to manage their playing time.

The number of moans about Shaw of late of JWP losing form.

Lambert not making an impact.

The squad is not yet big enough for a Premier League season of 38 games let alone any cup games with our style of play. Some rotation is needed.

Trouble is we ain't got enough players left to bring in.

THAT worries me far more than this season's cup run.

Doha, Qatar. Not The Emirates FWIW.

That lot have the World Cup

We have stupid 5 hour traffic jams

We spent several seasons in the Championship and League 1 playing an extra 8 league games as well as league cup, FA cup and JPT. Most of our players should be used to a busy fixture schedule. They should be wanting to play, not worrying about having a rest. Looks like Osvaldo/Oswaldo is back in training, is that confirmation that he has been injured for the last few games as opposed to being frozen out?

These cup games are perfect for giving our academy players to get more playing time. They need every opportunity to improve to break into the first team if we are serious about bringing in more academy players. We have a few teenagers in our first team that have proven they are prem standard. So we need to test a few more to see where we are in terms of strength in depth. If Gallager and Reed can show the same quality as Chambers,JWP and Shaw it will help the depth of our squad. I still feel this is a testing period for all our players. Poch is testing who can make the grade and who can't. We had a great start which clouded the issue in that we thought we could reach higher than our squad depth would allow, but a few injuries and tough games against the big boys has shown we are still short in quality and depth. He has been patient with many like Hoov and Fox, giving them far more games than we humble fans would have, but he has hopefully seen enough to cut them loose. He is known for giving youth a chance, and this take patience, because Poch can see the quality of a player in training and games, he will know if the player is worth developing. Suppose Wenger gave into the pressure of not sticking with Ramsey or Theo, they were given the time and games to develop. The more Poch can stress test the academy and fringe players without jeopardizing our PL standings, the better he and Cortese will know where to strengthen and spend those millions so generously provided. Yes I would like to win the FA cup, but I would like to strengthen this team even more by finding out who is up to the task of moving us forward. The day when we have 20+ great players will be the time to challenge for all cups and PL. If our fringe players can get past this round and give the first team time to get enough points on the board to feel safe from relegation then I would like to see the best 11 we have to fight for the later rounds of the FA cup, and play the future stars and players that need improving the rest of the PL to stake a claim to the first team. This will give Poch and NC a much better idea of who will be needed in the summer transfer window.

I still feel this is a testing period for all our players. Poch is testing who can make the grade and who can't.

I wish ponch would have asked! I could really have saved him a lot time with this.

BTW Tks for gd post but the mods have asked if you can introduce paragraph breaks in future cos reading comprehension on here is remedial.

fa1e1ea4b49a59e6f2dff8365fa69f0a_normal.jpegSouthampton FC@SouthamptonFC

Jesús Pérez is currently speaking to the media ahead of tomorrow's visit of Burnley #saintsfc pic.twitter.com/qyjgUChHA7

BdC0nZ3IMAAeqaH.jpg:large

fa1e1ea4b49a59e6f2dff8365fa69f0a_normal.jpegSouthampton FC@SouthamptonFC

Pérez: "We have full respect for this competition (The FA Cup). We will try to win tomorrow. We will pick the right team to move on."

Pérez: "It will be difficult. They're playing with two strikers in top form. It will be a tough game." #saintsfc

Pérez: "Dani Osvaldo trained this morning - he will be assessed ahead of the game." #saintsfc

Pérez: "[James] Ward-Prowse and [Nathaniel] Clyne had knocks against Chelsea. They are okay but they will be assessed." #saintsfc

Pérez: "Playing against a Premier League club like us is big motivation for them. We will pick the best team to play." #saintsfc

Edited by trousers

davis

chambers

yoshida

jos

fox

cork

Morgan

Reed

Osvaldo

Ramirez

Lambert

Dont think Jrod will start as he has played a lot of games of late regardless of the sentimental value. Also Davis has played a lot lately.

Given clyne, JWP and shaw have knocks cant see them being risked. Fonte and Lovren need a rest and be fresh for WBA game. They are too important to risk all the while we have inadequate cover.

Champions League spot gone this year, relegation doesn't look remotely likely and I don't want us to fight for a Europa League place via league finish because we've seen what it can do to thin squads like Newcastle a couple of seasons back and Swansea this season.

I think it's an ideal time to go all out for the cup. But I don't think the club will see it that way.

I expect we'll see a fair bit of Reed and Gallagher tomorrow. Let's hope they do well - careers can pivot on such moments.

davis

chambers

yoshida

jos

fox

cork

Morgan

Reed

Osvaldo

Ramirez

Lambert

Dont think Jrod will start as he has played a lot of games of late regardless of the sentimental value. Also Davis has played a lot lately.

Given clyne, JWP and shaw have knocks cant see them being risked. Fonte and Lovren need a rest and be fresh for WBA game. They are too important to risk all the while we have inadequate cover.

You want us to play that back five against a team that plays two (good) strikers up top? Bye bye cup run.

Pochettino said after the Chelsea game that they would rotate and play the best side they can in the circumstances. That means to me the same as the League cup. I wouldn't mind betting that Burnley's priorities will be to avoid damaging their promotion challenge. I don't expect Burnley to field a first team either.

why are you certain they wont rotate players?

becase they probably need the money that a cup run would give them. We're going to play an unusual side and they aren't.

I see Isgrove at training this morning, think he'll play ? no Boruc on view though, don't like the implications of that. bUnless of course it's o use him getting used to the different type of ball because he won't be playing with one at any time soon.

becase they probably need the money that a cup run would give them. We're going to play an unusual side and they aren't.

I see Isgrove at training this morning, think he'll play ? no Boruc on view though, don't like the implications of that.

they need the money and get promoted

go on their site and its all about their reserves v a premier league side

both sides are obviously going to make changes

I see Isgrove at training this morning, think he'll play ? no Boruc on view though, don't like the implications of that. bUnless of course it's o use him getting used to the different type of ball because he won't be playing with one at any time soon.

Microscopic compared to the money gained from promotion. They would be foolish to risk a player like Ings getting injured tomorrow.