Burnley Build up

Batman

I'd be highly shocked if he moved to a team still in the fa cup after this weekend

But I'd play the strongest side possible, as someone above said, we are not going down and were not gonna qualify for Europe via the league, an FA cup is achievable and our only chance of winning anything

Firstly, our strongest side looked knackered. We can't just carry on playing the likes of Lallana, Morgan, Lambert, JRod, Davis, Shaw etc. until they drop dead in the middle of the pitch. Secondly, you're giving up on the league HALF WAY through the season? I could understand that attitude with 5 games left but on New Years Day?

You're probably right but I'm struggling to think of better options. I thought since he was here we might as well give him a game and Gallagher in the second half.

I know Barnard is a million miles away from the first team but I'm not aware that he has been banned from playing.

I doubt MP even knows what Lee Barnard looks like.

Firstly, our strongest side looked knackered. We can't just carry on playing the likes of Lallana, Morgan, Lambert, JRod, Davis, Shaw etc. until they drop dead in the middle of the pitch. Secondly, you're giving up on the league HALF WAY through the season? I could understand that attitude with 5 games left but on New Years Day?
We're 10 points off 6th place, 7 points off 7th place, it's pretty fair to think that it is very unlikely we'll catch either of those places.

We're 10 points off 6th place, 7 points off 7th place, it's pretty fair to think that it is very unlikely we'll catch either of those places.

Without needing to mention 7th is unlikely to get us a European spot, and even sixth might not (it didn't last season). And we ain't finishing sixth.

FA Cup should be a massive priority for clubs like us - with a decent draw we can get to Wembley.

Without needing to mention 7th is unlikely to get us a European spot, and even sixth might not (it didn't last season). And we ain't finishing sixth.

FA Cup should be a massive priority for clubs like us - with a decent draw we can get to Wembley.

^ This.

Rest one or two knackered players, but put out as strong a side as possible.

Unlikely as it may be, I still think we should try. 7 points over 18 games really isn't that much, even if we are chasing some very good sides. Without our injury problems we would probably have smashed Villa and maybe taken a few points from games like today, Everton and Spurs. With a couple of decent signings, you never know.

I guess everyone has different ambitions. I'd like to see us challenging in the League and making a fist of getting into the Europa League that way. I think if we're up there with the likes of Spurs, Everton, Newcastle and Man Utd we will have the ability to attract better players in the summer and have a real go at the top 4 next season.

Unlikely as it may be, I still think we should try. 7 points over 18 games really isn't that much, even if we are chasing some very good sides. Without our injury problems we would probably have smashed Villa and maybe taken a few points from games like today, Everton and Spurs. With a couple of decent signings, you never know.

I guess everyone has different ambitions. I'd like to see us challenging in the League and making a fist of getting into the Europa League that way. I think if we're up there with the likes of Spurs, Everton, Newcastle and Man Utd we will have the ability to attract better players in the summer and have a real go at the top 4 next season.

Being that you don't believe our current squad is capable of finishing top half of the table and competing in the FA Cup (a feat achieved with a far less lavish Saints squad not so long ago) gawd knows how you will react if we actually do get into the Europa League. Lee Barnard getting a run out in the group stages, presumably as you fret about the league.

And, seriously, if we want to have a "real good go" at the top four next season, then where we finish this season will be irrelevent. To have a "real good go" at the top four, we will need to spend £200m next summer, and the players that come wouldn't give a toss whether we finished 10th or 6th.

You are placing far, far too much value in league placings and their significance beyond the season it occurs in.

Sorry, I will stop this train of thought here as it is supposed to be the build up thread. (I think this theme is probably unavoidable, though)

Edited by CB Fry

I would pick :

KD

Clyne - Font - Yoshi - Fox

Cork - Davis

JWP - Reed - Ramirez

Lambert

Subs: Gazza, Chambers, Jos, Morgan, Targett, Gallagher, Rowe/ Isgrove

That's assuming Osvaldo isn't fit. If he is then I would play him. I would like to play the strongest possible team but I really feel that Lallana, Rodriguez and Shaw might benefit from a break. I would also give Lovren a rest to give Yoshi a bit more game time.

I would pick :

KD

Cork - Davis

JWP - Reed - Ramirez

Lambert

That's assuming Osvaldo isn't fit. If he is then I would play him. I would like to play the strongest possible team but I really feel that Lallana, Rodriguez and Shaw might benefit from a break. I would also give Lovren a rest to give Yoshi a bit more game time.

Is Osvaldo still ill? Seems to be happily out and about going by his twitter bits and pieces. Be a good chance to get him back into his rhythm, see how he links up with Ramirez.

I would pick :

KD

Cork - Davis

JWP - Reed - Ramirez

Lambert

Not a million miles from the team we put out against Sunderland in the cup IIRC.

Only difference is that Chambers was in for Clyne, Jos in for Fonte, Davis in for JWP and Jrod in for Lambert.

Could be argued that the Sunderland team was in fact stronger.

A damned if you do damned if you don't dilemma re team strength for this one. Potential banana skin tie if ever I saw one. Put out a nearly full strength side and they lose it then confidence will suffer. Putting out a weak side lacks courage or conviction though.

Got Tranmere written all over it.

Burnley are not great away from home (recently) failed to win any of the last 6 on the road & not won away from Turf Moor since mid October

They also have a very small squad (quality wise) and have a few injuries.

They will focus on the championship, while we have little league focus now.

This should be a banker :?

Lambert and Rodriguez after yesterday need to play the first hour and fill their boots for gods sake! I want us all to see a WIN AT HOME after 4 games, I want a happy Saturday evening for once please!!!!!!!!!

J rod looked awful yesterday maybe he's tired.

Be surprised if he doesn't play some part at least against his home town club.

he will play because we don't have much else, only the defence will change, the attack will be a permutation of the usual suspects. Can't see Osvaldo being fit or not suspended or whatever so it'll be Rickie,Adam,JRod,Gaston as usual, few minutes from Gallagher perhaps but Burnley are a good side and he'll get nothing from them. I keep asking but can anyone tell me what's happened to Isgrove.

KD

Chambers Fonte Yoshida Fox

Schneiderlin

JWP Reed Ramirez

Lambert Gallagher

Subs: Gazza, Clyne, Hooiveld, Cork, Davis, Lallana, Rodriguez

Against a team in a league below, who are chasing promotion and therefore likely to rest a few too, I think we should do the same but also I think we should adjust the formation and be more attacking with two up top for this one. I don;t think we need two holding midfielders against a side that will come and park the bus.

He's nowhere near good enough and turns 21 in the next couple of weeks. He'll be released in the summer when his contract is up

some seemed to think he was quite promising during the summer tour, don't know myself don't every remember seeing him play apart from a few minutes in one of those games.

some seemed to think he was quite promising during the summer tour, don't know myself don't every remember seeing him play apart from a few minutes in one of those games.

"Promising" is the favourite word of those in denial about the quality and ability of our young players to make it.

More important to secure our Premier Status. Thing is, unless we win another 6 or 7 games our 'dream' season could turn into a 'nightmare'.

- 6 wins, 0 draws and 12 defeats from the remaining games would put us on 45 points

- 7 wins, 0 draws and 11 defeats from the remaining games would put us on 48 points

:mcinnes:

and...

Last season 36 points (plus a better goal difference) or 37 points would be enough to stay up.

This season the team in 18th has 17 points with over 50% of the season gone. Last seasons points target will likely be similar (if not less) this season.

Saints will likely need only win 3 or 4 of the remaining 18 games to stay up (if they have no draws). Not "6 or 7" like you said. 6 or 7 would mean a points total of 45+ and if we have 45 or 48 points we'll be comfortably in mid table.

I hope for you own sake you are on the wind up and don't really believe your nonsense.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Last season 36 points (plus a better goal difference) or 37 points would be enough to stay up.

This season the team in 18th has 17 points with over 50% of the season gone. Last seasons points target will likely be similar (if not less) this season.

Saints will likely need only win 3 of the remaining 18 games to stay up. Not "6 or 7" like you said. If we have 45 or 48 points we'll be comfortably in mid table.

If we get 36 points we will in all likelihood be relegated. 40 points might be enough, but we should aim to be comfortably clear and that would be around 45 points. Our Premier status is what we need to preserve not a cup run or we could end up like the lot down the road !

Why on earth are we discussing relegation, above all on the FA Cup 3rd Round tie thread.

We won't be relegated and we won't win the Cup either so all discussion on either of these points is moot.

Oi Windows, if I told you one of those things was definitely gonna happen, either we are relegate or win cup, which would you guess that it was? If you guess wrong you get aids.

If we get 36 points we will in all likelihood be relegated. 40 points might be enough, but we should aim to be comfortably clear and that would be around 45 points. Our Premier status is what we need to preserve not a cup run or we could end up like the lot down the road !

You think in the remaining 18 games...

Hull 17 points

Villa 17 points

Stoke 18 points

Swansea 21 points

West Brom 19 points

Norwich 20 points

Fulham 21 points

Cardiff 22 points

Palace 23 points or West Ham 25 points or Sunderland 26 points

Not one or two of those things need to happen for Saints to go down on 40 points, but ALL of those things.

When most of those teams have failed to get that many points in the opening 20 games, what makes you think they suddenly will in the 2nd half of the season?

The reality is Saints are 3 wins and 1 or 2 draws in the remaining 18 league games away from saftey. Not that it should be a concern for any of us. I'm confident Saints will come 9th at worst and possibly beat Newcastle for 8th.

Saints should be going all out to progress as far as possible in the FA Cup.

You think in the remaining 18 games...

Hull 17 points

Villa 17 points

Stoke 18 points

Swansea 21 points

West Brom 19 points

Norwich 20 points

Fulham 21 points

Cardiff 22 points

Palace 23 points or West Ham 25 points or Sunderland 26 points

Not one or two of those things need to happen for Saints to go down on 40 points, but ALL of those things.

When most of those teams have failed to get that many points in the opening 20 games, what makes you think they suddenly will in the 2nd half of the season?

The reality is Saints are 3 wins and 1 or 2 draws in the remaining 18 league games away from saftey. Not that it should be a concern for any of us. I'm confident Saints will come 9th at worst and possibly beat Newcastle for 8th.

Saints should be going all out to progress as far as possible in the FA Cup.

It could happen and more to the point complacency about our league position makes it more likely. I would prefer us not 'to lose the punt for the pole'.

We won't be relegated and we won't win the Cup either so all discussion on either of these points is moot.

Why not? Why so quick to rule it out?

In the last decade, Wigan and Pompey have won it and Stoke, Pompey, Everton, Cardiff, West Ham and Millwall have all been finalists. Go back another year and Saints were in the final.

Saints have the 8th or 9th best team in the country, it would be foolish to write them off potentially winning or progressing far into this competition if they put out a strong line-up.

Edited by Matthew Le God

It could happen and more to the point complacency about our league position makes it more likely. I would prefer us not 'to lose the punt for the pole'.

For all those teams to get those points totals it would take a huge upturn in form for the entire bottom half of the league. Not just one or two bottom half teams, but ALL of them! In order for that to happen, considering they'd be taking points off each other; in order to get these extra points the top half of the league Man CIty, Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Newcastle, Everton, Spurs, would have to all be dropping a lot more points to those in the bottom half than they have in the first half of the season.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Why not? Why so quick to rule it out?

p.

Because we're going to put out one of the sh*ttiest sides that we've seen in a long time. Mauricio is talking about rotation and fresh players but we don't actually have too many of those who are of any use to man nor beast. The likely CB pairing of Jos and Maya just makes you shudder, Lee will be in attack, Fox at LB, perhaps Clyne at RB, Gazza in goal again, just that tells you we'll have no hope whatsoever and all it will do is nark off the couple of first team regulars who have to make up the numbers.

For a club that's won exactly one major trophy in 129 years, I find it extraordinary the dismissive nature of the attitude from some on here and at the club towards these competitions. With only two Premier league sides playing teams outside the top two divisions in the 3rd round, this has to be a great chance to get number 2.

The chances of finishing in the top 6 or bottom 3 are remote, so I'm looking forward to the game and hopefully progressing to the 4th round.

Nice to see Dalek trolling MLG into submission.

I am not trolling. I think MLG has a very strong argument, but I also believe strongly in safety first ! The Premier League must not be taken for granted. Also, as well as safety consider the rewards that each place is worth financially in the Premier League. I would rather we finish 12th in the league with no Cup than say 16th and with the FA Cup.

we won't be taking it seriously, unless of course you call a team with Lee,Fox,Jos and Maya seriously.

My point is that fans also don't take it very seriously. Even if we said we would put a strong side out the ground would still be half full.

FA Cup for so many reasons has lost its magic. Sad but true.

My point is that fans also don't take it very seriously. Even if we said we would put a strong side out the ground would still be half full.

FA Cup for so many reasons has lost its magic. Sad but true.

If we guaranteed that we'd put the first team out at 20£ a throw we would get a good crowd, we won't so we don't.

Interesting also that despite everyone wanting us to take the Cup seriously we will have a very low crowd even at reduced prices.
Not everyone wants us to take it seriously, which is a shame. Should still be a crowd around 18/19k, getting rid of the Premier League fans and back to the hardcore that supported the club in the League One days.

Not everyone wants us to take it seriously, which is a shame. Should still be a crowd around 18/19k, getting rid of the Premier League fans and back to the hardcore that supported the club in the League One days.

I will be amazed if we get 19K actually, the thought of the team that we're going to put out has turned me right off of this game because Burnley are a good side and we'll put out a bad one.

I will be amazed if we get 19K actually, the thought of the team that we're going to put out has turned me right off of this game because Burnley are a good side and we'll put out a bad one.

A Saints team consisting of Davis, Jos, Fox and Cork got promoted from the Championship so why have they suddenly got no chance against a current Championship team? Chambers looks every inch the Premier League player and most Champ teams would love players like Yoshi and Gaston in their team.

That's 7 players who would easily give any Championship team a game. With them, a couple of first teamers maybe and a couple of kids how are we 'not taking this game seriously'? If we were going to play the under 18s I could understand people's frustration.