MoPo to go?

SO16_Saint

bigger picture you are missing - your philosophy a good chairman you would not make

Football is a reults business.

Mopo got the Saints job on potential - he wont get a bigger job until he starts to get results.

As a manager he averages 30% win ratio.... That is very poor and the lowest of all current premiership managers

Even the "crap" managers René Meulensteen, Tony Pulis, Mark Hughes, Poyet, Sam Allardyce all have better career win %

Interviews with Jim White on Sky, threats to walk away in the summer, behind the scenes article in (I think) The Mail recently and that's just off the top of my head.

He now uses rather than abuses, granted. But there's nothing exceptional in any of the above.

Football is a reults business.

Mopo got the Saints job on potential - he wont get a bigger job until he starts to get results.

As a manager he averages 30% win ratio.... That is very poor and the lowest of all current premiership managers

Even the "crap" managers René Meulensteen, Tony Pulis, Mark Hughes, Poyet, Sam Allardyce all have better career win %

My point made is complete.....honestly, take a look at your list, which one would you choose....I see the point you're making, can you see mine?

A legitimate question from the OP, especially given the record of Cortese's hiring policy, and one I posed in the Chelsea match thread, to a torrent of abuse from some quarters.

I think NC will stick with 'Tino for the problem lies in squad depth, not the manager. NC will not be happy though presently, and will in part be revising his own appraisal as much as anyone else's.

Thats football. Mopo to Spurs was always madness

Mopo's win % at Saints is now lower than 30% similar % to his spell at Espanyol. Managers who average

Your math isn´t very good, is it?

39 games, 13 wins, 13 draws and 13 losses apparently before yesterday. It´s not THAT hard to see the win percentage there....

Your math isn´t very good, is it?

39 games, 13 wins, 13 draws and 13 losses apparently before yesterday. It´s not THAT hard to see the win percentage there....

You also have to look at of those games how many times have we played the top 4. I'm. Fairly sure that since he has been here we have come up against a higher percentage of the top sides. The run in last season was quote tough,I accept we had a softer start its season but that has come back big time

You also have to look at of those games how many times have we played the top 4. I'm. Fairly sure that since he has been here we have come up against a higher percentage of the top sides. The run in last season was quote tough,I accept we had a softer start its season but that has come back big time

Both yes and no though. Last year he played all but Arsenal, Aston Villa and Fulham and this year we´re half way through the season + 1 extra game against Chelsea.

Anyone would understand though that playing 7 games out of 9 against top 8 teams in such a short space of time with injuries damaging the team would be extremely tough and nothing you really can put down to the manager.

Every club has injuries! We have much less than other clubs who just seem to fair / cope much much better

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

Not very interesting what teams situation today is, is it?

And what teams do you think cope better that we are close to?

Newcastle?

Very few injuries, in fact probably the team with the fewest recent 2 months....

Everton?

Well we discussed the other week that they had one starter out then.

Other than those I dont see any teams that cope better than us on that list unless you think we´re close to Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and United and surely it´s only happy clappers that supposedly believe we´re close to them with our squad?

How many teams in the league has been forced to play 3rd choice keeper for 5 games in a row?

Not very interesting what teams situation today is, is it?

And what teams do you think cope better that we are close to?

Newcastle?

Very few injuries, in fact probably the team with the fewest recent 2 months....

Everton?

Well we discussed the other week that they had one starter out then.

Other than those I dont see any teams that cope better than us on that list unless you think we´re close to Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and United and surely it´s only happy clappers that supposedly believe we´re close to them with our squad?

How many teams in the league has been forced to play 3rd choice keeper for 5 games in a row?

Every club has injuries - we have a lot less than many as earlier illustrated

We are coping equal last

2ikcbaw.jpg

As a real Saints supporter you need to go through the bad times as well as the good times. MoPo is constantly learning and will have realised yesterday that Mourinho is tactically better and had better options at his disposal.

MoPo is also suffering from bad luck, bad refereeing decisions and injuries

Are you so aggressive face to face or just on the internet?

Anyway, back to the (legitimate) question. Money has been spent, and yes, we've improved, but is it enough for NC?

No it is not a legitimate question as you well know. obviously you do it just to drawe attention to yourself but really.... absolutely bonkers

He's 20/1 next to leave. Looking at the bigger picture we are still 9th, it's hardly a disaster. One of the problems is that the way the fixtures have come, expectations rose as a result of some good form against some of the weaker sides in the league. I think we've seen we are better than most of the bottom half sides, but still a long way off of the top 6/7. Very much still a work in progress. I hope Cortese isn't thinking about giving MP the sack, but it's probably best we get a decent result in the cup on Saturday

No it is not a legitimate question as you well know. obviously you do it just to drawe attention to yourself but really.... absolutely bonkers

It's 'draw' and I wasn't doing anything of the sort.

Football is all about opinions, and it just so happens yours is wrong

I can not believe for one minute that there is a chance of Poch being sacked. We have one of the most exciting Saints teams i have ever seen playing some fantastic football and i have been watching Saints for over 40 years so i've seen some good Saints sides. The players are playing for the manager and that is evident to anyone watching that doesnt have an agenda! Every side has ups and downs during the season and the most die hard Saints fans knew our brilliant start would not last once injuries and suspensions kicked in....what none of us expexted was the horrible bad luck we got when we did pick up injuries. Has Poch improved the team and the way we play....hell yes!...and anyone that can not sees that needs to have their eyes checked. We are a work in progress and we have improved year on year since NC took over and we have improved since Poch took over as manager.

I didnt think Adkins should have gone, but this is Cortese we are talking about, we know he is capable. We are halfwayish and 9th looks pretty good. But if our current form continues we will be in the bottom half soon enough. Except Lovern the new signings havent excatly set the world alight. Some of those early wins against top sides were the result of a lot of hard work, and the players dont look capable of repeating that right now. I thought we could get amongst the top teams this year after our early performances, but I think that false dawn is now coming back to bite us by over excurtion. It will be interesting to see how the team bounce back as the fixture callender eases up. If they dont we might just be welcoming a new face to st Marys, but someone will be waiting in the wings again so it will be a few weeks from the time the decision is made till the plug is pulled.

4th favourite to get the sack and yet the clappers still dont realise it, they are absolute beauts one has to admit, deniers of the highest order.

Yeah those bookies get everything right, dont they!

I mean Ever Banega was a 5/8 to sign with us....

Yeah those bookies get everything right, dont they!

I mean Ever Banega was a 5/8 to sign with us....

They know more than me and you (unless you are a bookie) as they make a living from it.

The results have put him there not the bookies, 1 win in 9 is simply not good enough regardless of who we play, our strikers are not scoring and we are leaking goals thats a huge cause for concern, him spinning the age old we are playing well and not getting results will not stick and I agree, if he came out with a newer but more honest of x, w and z played **** but they deserve another chance or we play crap and I fuc*ed up the tactics and I apologise to the fans I would well be on his side more and we dont see enough honesty just patting the fans on the head and telling them its going to be alright.

We have not been alright (successful) since 1976, no club our size has won less than us, we should demand more.

I think the high press and possesion football has blinded / won over a few, but for me its a results game 1st and foremost.

Mopo has the lowest career win % of all 20 premiership managers and that tells a huge story.

In fact you have to go to 22nd in the Championship (Paul Dickov) to find a manager with a lower career win % than mopo

Is alpine ok , I note he hasn't posted on this thread or the other similar ones . Unless he is using another name given there are a number of new poster names that have appeared . Gas , pastor et al

I have noticed this as well. Hope he is ok and keeps posting. We need characters like Alpine to add a bit of colour to the site !

I think the high press and possesion football has blinded / won over a few, but for me its a results game 1st and foremost.

Mopo has the lowest career win % of all 20 premiership managers and that tells a huge story.

In fact you have to go to 22nd in the Championship (Paul Dickov) to find a manager with a lower career win % than mopo

We get it - you don't like him. Move on.

That's crazy if true!

Yes he should go and manage lower league teams (like Roberto Martinez who is rated at the top by most people these days) to boost his win percent....

I didnt think Adkins should have gone, but this is Cortese we are talking about, we know he is capable. We are halfwayish and 9th looks pretty good. But if our current form continues we will be in the bottom half soon enough. Except Lovern the new signings havent excatly set the world alight. Some of those early wins against top sides were the result of a lot of hard work, and the players dont look capable of repeating that right now. I thought we could get amongst the top teams this year after our early performances, but I think that false dawn is now coming back to bite us by over excurtion. It will be interesting to see how the team bounce back as the fixture callender eases up. If they dont we might just be welcoming a new face to st Marys, but someone will be waiting in the wings again so it will be a few weeks from the time the decision is made till the plug is pulled.

As per the above. Bottom line is we do not know what NC is likely to do.

A lot of people saying recent run of results shouldn't be used to judge MP as these were games against most of the top 7 with key players missing (like Boruc). But what games was Adkins judged on last season ? Adkins had to play the top sides right from the start and with (IMO) a weaker squad (which included our 3rd choice keeper)

Personally I like the way we play and for the first time I believe that Saints can go out and beat anyone in this division (I don't expect it week in / week out but I truly believe we are capable) so I am happy to see MP in charge still. Then again, I was happy to give Adkins more time.

With the squad we have I believe we are about where we should be for the moment. It was a relevant question from the OP, alas as we are not NC none of us are in a position to answer it.

Career win %'s mean nothing in relation to the present. I would imagine Ole Gunnar would have possibly the best career win % of the Premier League managers which according to Glasgow makes him the best in the league. He takes no note of which leagues have been managed in, or the clubs managed and whether expectations were met or not. For me, MP is meeting and exceeding my expectations. We were playing well till injuries struck to KEY players. Yes we need more depth in the squad but if I had been offered ninth at new year at the start of the season I would have reluctantly accepted it. Pretty much every game we have competed and had opportunities and on occassions we have not have the rub of the green with deflections, dodgy ref calls. I am not a happy clapper, just not an idiot antagonising others on the forum by endlessly speculating on MP getting the boot. Get a grip, I certainly dont want to go back to the days of Ruperts endless hiring and firing!

Edited by Scoobysaint
Clarification

They know more than me and you (unless you are a bookie) as they make a living from it.

The results have put him there not the bookies, 1 win in 9 is simply not good enough regardless of who we play, our strikers are not scoring and we are leaking goals thats a huge cause for concern, him spinning the age old we are playing well and not getting results will not stick and I agree, if he came out with a newer but more honest of x, w and z played **** but they deserve another chance or we play crap and I fuc*ed up the tactics and I apologise to the fans I would well be on his side more and we dont see enough honesty just patting the fans on the head and telling them its going to be alright.

We have not been alright (successful) since 1976, no club our size has won less than us, we should demand more.

If you can say this after the next 8 games then I don't think anyone will disagree. Lets see how it pans out. The next 8 will define our season, not the last 8.

The "high press" philosophy only works ............. until you meet the likes of Arsenal. Man City. Chelsea ............. then THEIR Class takes over

4th favourite to get the sack and yet the clappers still dont realise it, they are absolute beauts one has to admit, deniers of the highest order.

Take out obvious non-starters (Wenger and Rodgers) and teams who have already installed new managers this season (City, Chelsea, Everton, Tottenham, Man Utd, Stoke, West Brom, Fulham, Cardiff, Crystal Palace and Sunderland) and I'm pretty happy to be 4th favourite.

We are 9th in the table, better than any of us could have hoped for back in August so sacking MP would do what exactly, how many places up the table (or down) could a new man take us. Would that chance be worth all the upheaval. If we are going to sack a manager every time we have a few defeats then I will give up, this is the best position we have been in for years and losing to a team who are probably in the top 4 in Europe is no disgrace, disappointing but not wholly surprising given the value of their world class players. We shouldn't be in danger of relegation and won't break into the top 4 so I would like to see us take the FA Cup seriously.