MoPo to go?

SO16_Saint

F**k me, when I think we can get people no thicker than Barry and Glasgow we get the mentally inferior Pastor popping along.

I think I've flushed away higher IQs.

lol at times I think you are harsh but on this occasion the 5th columnists in our mist deserve it. Pathetic thread and pathetic agenda posters trying to stir things

This time last year a thread about sacking the manager would have had a very similar response - its trolling, typical impatient modern day football fans, mods should ban these people - as todays thread.

Of course this was back in the days of Nige being the next Alex Ferguson and the greatest English manager of his generation. By February he was a washed up clueless idiot out of his depth and thank god Cortese bravely made the brave decision, which in no way was impatient. Or fickle.

All December and today proved is our back up isn't good enough. Our strongest starting 11 is a very good side, who can give anyone a game in this league. I really think we are missing Wanyama, our defensive midfield just seems too weak at the moment.

If, when we can again field our strongest 11, things don't start improving then questions may need to be asked. Until then some need to get over it and realise we will probably finish 8-10th, which I think is a great improvement from last season.

We are all frustrated.

Some of us will vent at mopo / team / results (its the saints forum afterall)

While others prefer to vent at other posters!? Not sure i understand that mentality, but if it helps them im happy to take a few insults.

Sticks n stone n all that :) :)

You have an agenda against MP from day one, as you feel jilted as NA has gone. Get behind the club instead of trying to make a name for yourself on the internet

I just couldn't say, I'm not Nicola Cortese, I don't know the targets set or how he'll have viewed our disastrous run of 1 win in 9 games. I'm hoping he'd be tolerant and understanding about it but I wouldn't wager any significant sum on that. I don't know how he'll have viewed spending 13 million quid on a sick-note, bad tempered player either.

The next 8 games are far more winnable. Pick up 15 points and we will be nearly home and dry as far as securing our premier status. If we keep that, then the manager stays. Survival is all that matters, always did, always will do.

Agree. Whilst I think we can achieve 50 points and be in the top 10, the priority is staying up and cementing our place in the PL. West Ham are looking in a far worse situation than we are and I think we have to appreciate just what a job has been done at this club.

lol at times I think you are harsh but on this occasion the 5th columnists in our mist deserve it. Pathetic thread and pathetic agenda posters trying to stir things

It makes you wonder what perverse pleasure they get out of it; what joy can there be in the tedious pathetic posts they make - I guess it must make them feel big or something?? As others have said, our first team can beat anyone, but beneath that we are lacking quality - there's nothing wrong or surprising in this, what do you expect from our second season back in the PL? We are making massive strides as a club; it's a great position to be in and long may it continue. I wish the likes of Turdish, Glasgow Pastor and Barry would just **** off and "support" someone else - spineless ****s the lot of them.

as i understand it we are 2 years ahead on a 5 year project, we are experiencing a leveling out of the upward curve.

The squad is not good enough, the next 2 transfer windows will show our ambition and if quality is signed MPs ability to control a squad.

as said earlier the next few games will define our season not the last few.

Agree. Whilst I think we can achieve 50 points and be in the top 10, the priority is staying up and cementing our place in the PL. West Ham are looking in a far worse situation than we are and I think we have to appreciate just what a job has been done at this club.

I think the majority of Saints fans always had their feet firmly planted on the ground. The clappers got carried away.

The winnable games coming up will define our season not losses to Chelski Arsenal etc. The only game that was disappointing in our last 8 was against Villa, all the others were very much as expected and the result against Man City and the Geordies a bonus.

A tough run of fixtures and injuries to key areas, that's our problem. We're still playing relatively well. Get the injured back, get the easier run of fixtures, and maybe add to personnel in one or two areas, and we'll be fine. Top 10 finish still on the cards.

It makes you wonder what perverse pleasure they get out of it; what joy can there be in the tedious pathetic posts they make - I guess it must make them feel big or something?? As others have said, our first team can beat anyone, but beneath that we are lacking quality - there's nothing wrong or surprising in this, what do you expect from our second season back in the PL? We are making massive strides as a club; it's a great position to be in and long may it continue. I wish the likes of Turdish, Glasgow Pastor and Barry would just **** off and "support" someone else - spineless ****s the lot of them.
you have to try and see the mentality we are up against. They are desperate to take a counter position so that eventually they may be proved right. The need to look correct overwhelms any wish for the club to do well.

i have many times had players/managers I have supported replaced by others I was not so keen on, but then not wished the player/manager bad luck. The club IMO is all important, whether. I was proved right or wrong was not the most important thing for me.

I think the majority of Saints fans always had their feet firmly planted on the ground. The clappers got carried away.

The winnable games coming up will define our season not losses to Chelski Arsenal etc. The only game that was disappointing in our last 8 was against Villa, all the others were very much as expected and the result against Man City and the Geordies a bonus.

now you have stopped mentioning Hoddle in every post, you actually are talking a lot of sense.

building a squad takes times and skill, there are many sides who have had the benefit of more sky money than we have had who have not managed it yet.

the next 2 transfer windows will show our ambition

very tough run of fixtures out of the way, with a few injuries, which you can blame when you have a bloody good first team, but not so good back up.

I think in the summer we will look to push on again with adding to the squad. End of next season bring in the special one.

Also the sack could be possible if things continue like this, with some 'easier' fixtures coming up (Taking Arsenal out).

This time last year a thread about sacking the manager would have had a very similar response - its trolling, typical impatient modern day football fans, mods should ban these people - as todays thread.

Of course this was back in the days of Nige being the next Alex Ferguson and the greatest English manager of his generation. By February he was a washed up clueless idiot out of his depth and thank god Cortese bravely made the brave decision, which in no way was impatient. Or fickle.

We are 9th in the league....

There is fickle and there is trolling

First things first, I DO NOT want MoPo to go, but I recall NC saying that he won't wait until we lose x games in a row before making a change.

Were currently 3-0 down to Chelsea at home, and IMO playing fairly well, and would beat other teams on this showing, but is it enough I quench NC'a thirst for progression?

I sincerely hope a snap decision isn't made and he stays.

Thoughts?

You are an idiot for starting this post... have you not been watching the games, or do you know nothing at all about football

I don't think its a that outrageous OP (and along with the OP, I hope Pochettino isn't given the elbow). Cortese has extremely high expectations and isn't afraid to make tough/unpopular decisions, so I wouldn't rule it out!!!

Obviously depends on the relationship, what the short/medium term plan is and what is minimally acceptable.

I wondered aloud in the final weeks of our Championship promotion push as to whether Cortese would relieve Adkins of his role once we had achieved promotion and replace him with a more experienced replacement, and there was a similar response back then!

I don't think its a that outrageous OP (and along with the OP, I hope Pochettino isn't given the elbow). Cortese has extremely high expectations and isn't afraid to make tough/unpopular decisions, so I wouldn't rule it out!!!

Obviously depends on the relationship, what the short/medium term plan is and what is minimally acceptable.

I wondered aloud in the final weeks of our Championship promotion push as to whether Cortese would relieve Adkins of his role once we had achieved promotion and replace him with a more experienced replacement, and there was a similar response back then!

Exactly Um, none of us can knows what he expects but from the soundbites it would seem like mounting a serious challenge for Europe this season and doing it with what we've got already and what we can find in the academy. He was ruthless with Adkins and if we should say, fall below Hull or Villa I can well see him being ruthless again. Pardew's position above us with a lesser side must be hacking him off. He'll look at Spurs, ruthless sacking and then winning 3 and drawing 1 out of the next 4

will tempt him sorely.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I'm not sure that the situations are the same. Personally NA never fully convinced me and I was not too concerned when NC made the change. At this moment I think that. NC would be happy enough,especially as MP seems to have bought into the developing of the young players. How many has he bedded in this season ( bad choice of words ) ? To be above mid table while bringing a lot of teenagers in is a superb effort. If only the high price tag players had done their stuff we would be cruising.

Obviously if the results plummet and we get close to relegation then NC will act in the summer, but Iam am confident that we will be fine and still finish in a good position

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2378319/Southampton-chairman-Nicola-Cortese-People-thought-I-E-T-I-Ianded-Saints.html

'I don't want to lose five matches in a row before I sack the manager, I do it before that happens' Nicola Cortese July 2013. Lost 3 of our last 4 and one win in 9 now.

So basically he isn´t saying that he would sack a manager just because the team has lost five in a row either.....

Right, now I've finally got round to paying the annual subs, I can have a right to reply - after takin some undeserved abuse.

If you ready OP, I clearly state that I DO NOT think that MoPo should get the boot, and personally think he is doing a grand job.

But.

Cortese has form in this regard.

Cortese has (very) ambitious plans.

Cortese doesn't want 'mid table mediocrity'.

Cortese (it seems, doesn't massively care for niceties and 'fan favourites'.

So, IMO, it was a fair point to raise whether MoPo is IN DANGER, and MAY get the sack.

Our recent form isn't great, and Cortese has gone on record of saying he won't wait to lose 6 games before making a change. We're not a million miles away from that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2378319/Southampton-chairman-Nicola-Cortese-People-thought-I-E-T-I-Ianded-Saints.html

'I don't want to lose five matches in a row before I sack the manager, I do it before that happens' Nicola Cortese July 2013. Lost 3 of our last 4 and one win in 9 now.

Moron on mongboard in-reads-a-statement-literally shocker.

The point Cortese was making is that if he believes that there is something rotten in the club or something needs to change, he won't be afraid to act pre-emptively. The actual results are neither here or there.

Not too difficult to grasp, is it?

Right, now I've finally got round to paying the annual subs, I can have a right to reply - after takin some undeserved abuse.

If you ready OP, I clearly state that I DO NOT think that MoPo should get the boot, and personally think he is doing a grand job.

But.

So, IMO, it was a fair point to raise whether MoPo is IN DANGER, and MAY get the sack.

Our recent form isn't great, and Cortese has gone on record of saying he won't wait to lose 6 games before making a change. We're not a million miles away from that.

Ignore the trolls pal, its a valid point.

I know English isn't your first language but how else can you interpret someone saying

'I don't want to wait to lose 5 matches, I do it before than happens'

Bigger picture is the answer.

Anyone thinking Cortese just blindely looks at results (like I guess som people on here do at 5pm saturdays) before making decisions and dont look at what might be the reason to results really hasn´t followed us the last 4,5 yrs.

Then there are people that always got stuck on a single quote and well, cant really help those out I guess...

Bigger picture is the answer.

Anyone thinking Cortese just blindely looks at results (like I guess som people on here do at 5pm saturdays) before making decisions and dont look at what might be the reason to results really hasn´t followed us the last 4,5 yrs.

Then there are people that always got stuck on a single quote and well, cant really help those out I guess...

And the bigger picture is we've won one game in 9 with basically the same team Adkins had.

But.

I think you insult the Chairman with your post.

The only really bad result was Aston Villa at home where we made 3 basic defensive errors. All the other games we lost were against teams we would not expect to beat.

NC will surely understand we are not at Arsenal/Chelsea level and our squad is not deep enough to cover injuries we have suffered.

So why stir up the clowns on this forum by starting the post at all.

And the bigger picture is we've won one game in 9 with basically the same team Adkins had.

How many victories would be expected out of games against Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle and Everton away, and Spurs, Man City and Chelsea at home?

Villa is the only real let down in results and you would perhaps hope to win some more game like maybe Spurs home or Newcastle away but that is far from expecting to win games like that. Cortese knows where we are at the moment and is also clever enough to know that with so many injuries as we´ve had at the same time as this schedule it would hurt us.

I think you insult the Chairman with your post.

The only really bad result was Aston Villa at home where we made 3 basic defensive errors. All the other games we lost were against teams we would not expect to beat.

NC will surely understand we are not at Arsenal/Chelsea level and our squad is not deep enough to cover injuries we have suffered.

So why stir up the clowns on this forum by starting the post at all.

I'm fairly certain the Chairman won't lose any sleep over the comments on a forum.

The point of the thread was to open discussion.

Again, I'm not saying he should go, or that I think he will, even, more a question as to whether it COULD happen based on our relatively poor recent form....regardless of opponents.

How many victories would be expected out of games against Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle and Everton away, and Spurs, Man City and Chelsea at home?

Villa is the only real let down in results and you would perhaps hope to win some more game like maybe Spurs home or Newcastle away but that is far from expecting to win games like that. Cortese knows where we are at the moment and is also clever enough to know that with so many injuries as we´ve had at the same time as this schedule it would hurt us.

Well considering last season we won 2 of those games and drew another and have invested £35m since then I would suggest Cortese would have expected to improve on that, wouldn't you?

Well considering last season we won 2 of those games and drew another and have invested £35m since then I would suggest Cortese would have expected to improve on that, wouldn't you?

Never really understand this "we´ve invested this and that much money"...

Has the other clubs NOT done that, and are we in that case allowed to say that we´ve only invested £8m at the moment when Wanyama and Osvaldo is out then???

Never really understand this "we´ve invested this and that much money"...

Has the other clubs NOT done that, and are we in that case allowed to say that we´ve only invested £8m at the moment when Wanyama and Osvaldo is out then???

So you think when Cortese signed £35m worth of cheques in the summer he expected us to do worse?

true only if the other teams have stood still, but fact is they have improved their squads as well.

Did not know we were doing worse....

Hmm, where is that table again..... And do someone have any link to the table from last year?

Of the fixtures you listed, we have done worse than we did last season. I thought that was fairly obvious.

Perhaps our recent run may encourage the club to strengthen our thin squad. This period has reaffirmed what we all knew concerning our lack of strength in depth.

the recent run has been poor regardless and I think mp has some work to do. He needs to address the slide ASAP to avoid unwanted speculation. Shame to see our incredible start go to pot

hopefully a couple of fresh faces and return of some players will see us kick on. Still think we will finish between 8th and 10th which would be good IMO but a bit of a anti climax after our amazing start. We need to get back to basics and build from the back which was key to our great start

But we are not. That £35m meant we are not bottom of the league. This feels like bottom but we are nicely sat in 9th place

I fully appreciate this and personally think we're doing well, and could even push on further come Feb an March....and think most fans will accept this.

But the question was, and is, is this enough for NC?