Luke Shaw - hmmmmmmm

Stepgar

One of his issues today was no Morgan. He is more comfortable and composed when he knows he can bomb forward and Morgan is covering behind him, and I thought he was noticeably less willing to do that today. The breathing heavy thing though was a slight concern. Still, I don't know that Fox would have done any better today.

of course Fox wouldn't have done any better, that's a no contest but Fox isn't the only alternative left back in the world. We need one and I'm sure that come the 31st Jan we'll have bought one, probably a starter.

Was I watching a different match? I thought Shaw had a good game today, particularly going forward in the 2nd half

going forward yes although some of his final balls left a bit to be desired but on the defensive side he wasn't all that great. The solution is to sign a real left back and move Shaw forward to the position he will eventually be best in. You'll never be a great left back if you can't defend correctly. It would be a great option to have. JWP started at DML today but he was just awful at it, no surprise because he can't tackle and isn't very quick, then he went right and Cork moved left and in the end JWP and Davis ended up at DM, neither of them is really suited to that role.Why did we end up there then, because we had no realistic DM on the bench and Reed just seems to have been put there to please someone or other, never gets a game so what is the point of him being there at all. Reed is 19 next month so he really needs to be looking at getting some game time.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Is it just me or is Luke not as good as we all expect him to be?

Over the past few games I have not seen much in his game to suggest that "All that" His performances of late have been average at best.

Dont get me wrong I think he the best we have but I get the impression his head is being turned with all the talk of moving to Chelsea etc.

I have heard (read) a lot of people state that he has been poor in recent games. So just thought I would put it out there and see what other people think. No need to get aggressive and have a go.

Or is it just a form thing where again he has been in and out of the side recently due to having a cold or something else?

I have been saying this to the other half all season so far, didn't want to mention it just in case I get slated!, his crosses are shi* his shooting is shi*

What makes people think we can just 'sign a left back' when we want to? Loads of clubs want a left back, we happen to have one of the best.MP has told us so many times we are not signing in January, we are trusting the academy players, bit risky as we've seen with the goalkeeper issue but that's the policy

Shaw is outstanding and is headed for the top. Go back to the Cardiff game and you will see several assists when he has got in behind the defence and provided opportunities not taken. The young player I fear may not kick on as expected is JWP. I am still not sure what his right position is; if it's attacking midfield then there is little evidence of forward thrust or many incisive passes. If it's DM then robustness and tackling are not great. I see parallels with Simon Gillett and even Surman.....never quite delivering on promise. Would like to see more of Reed to compare the two.