Chelsea build up

Batman

No big loss, 2-0 to Chelsea we barely troubled them at the Bridge.

2 games are never the same, and for 45 mins at their place we kept them at arms length pretty easily. This will be a totally different game, and I'd expect us to be on the front foot for a good % of the game. I reckon we'll get ourselves onto 30 points come the end of New Years day.

Would have liked Lampard to have played in this. Looked awful when we've played against them under Pochettino, he's crap when closed down quickly.

Ramires causes us all sorts of problems though and he's back in after suspension.

which is why of course we led them for 55 minutes and only cracked when our keeper hit his hand on the post and we lost our most influential midfielder.

J-Rod's goal, while brilliant, was a bit of luck you must concede and we rarely threatened their goal, our defence was brilliant until we lost Boruc but he saved us quite a few times.

No big loss, 2-0 to Chelsea we barely troubled them at the Bridge.

Really. I seem to recall we were 1-0 up in 13 seconds and continued to frustrate them completely during the first half. Only when Mourinho changed their system in the 2nd half did they start to have any joy. Their second and third goals also came after Artur had gone off injured and been replaced with Gazza. From what I recall Mourinho was quite rattled during the first half, but did make the switch to two up front that ultimately undid us.

Mourinho still doesn't know what his first choice back four is but having Ivanovic and Luiz out forces his hand. Does anyone know how competent Azpilicueta is at right back?

Lampard will always be a miss for them, pleased he's out.

Mourinho still doesn't know what his first choice back four is but having Ivanovic and Luiz out forces his hand. Does anyone know how competent Azpilicueta is at right back?

Lampard will always be a miss for them, pleased he's out.

Azpilicueta is a right back but he's also extremely capable on the left, the sort of player we should be looking at if we're seriously considering being challengers for anything important at any time in the near future. they bought him for about 7 million I think. A really versatile player, We can only hope Clyne goes on to show as much ability on both sides.

In the two league games last season Lambert bullied the Chelsea CBs. The only changes I'd like to see if Boruc is still out, would be Clyne and Ramirez for Chambers and Davis but only if Clyne is 100% fit. Of course Schneiderlin for JWP.

Edited by derry

In the two league games last season Lambert bullied the Chelsea CBs. The only changes I'd like to see if Boruc is still out, would be Clyne and Ramirez for Chambers and Davis but only if Clyne is 100% fit. Of course Schneiderlin for JWP.

Would agree with that

Hazard will need to be kept quiet

Our strongest available line up has to be:

Davis

Clyne, Fonte, Lovren, Shaw

Morgan, Cork

Davis, Lallana, Jrod

Lambert

I don't think a decent 20minutes and a goal the keeper should have saved warrants a starting place for Ramirez, though I would like to see him come off the bench with enough time to make an impact if necessary. Similarly, Lambert hasn't been in great form but there isn't really another option at the moment.

Derry....not having a pop, but what is your problem with Davis. He is close to being our player of the season, based on the games he has played.

Derry....not having a pop, but what is your problem with Davis. He is close to being our player of the season, based on the games he has played.

but certainly not at DM which is why JWP starts there when 2 of the other 3 are out. Even so in the Villa game JWP started at DM with Victor because Mauricio says Cork and Victor can't play in the same side, now whether that's a personal thing or some sort of technical incapacity I've never found out, they don't play together that's all and JWP isn't up to the job either..

but certainly not at DM which is why JWP starts there when 2 of the other 3 are out. Even so in the Villa game JWP started at DM with Victor because Mauricio says Cork and Victor can't play in the same side, now whether that's a personal thing or some sort of technical incapacity I've never found out, they don't play together that's all and JWP isn't up to the job either..

Spot on!

Davis

Chambers

Lovren

Fonte

Shaw

Cork

Morgan

Ramirez

Jrod

Lallana

Lambert

I think 2014 could be gastons year for us, has so much ability and when wanyama is fit with Cork and Morgan shoring us up we need an additional goal threat. Gaston offers that.

We will lose 0-3 against the master tactician JM. Mopo would be his equal if he had the same depth/quality of squad, but clearly this not the case. So I think rest Lambert....put JRod up front and stick Ramirez on left with Lallana on right and Davis in the middle to provide some strength.

What's the point if we're going to lose 0-3?:?

Davis ?? You must be joking! Been one of our best players this season .

I want gaston to play tomorrow, however can we play him, lallana and j rod and rickie vs Chelsea? Prob not. I was thinking of dropping rickie and playing j rod upfront but rickie gave the morons last season and as we saw at Chelsea away, we need his height at set pieces. Save gaston to come on and play him against burnley and also against west brom as think we can go with attacking 3 in that game.

How many times has Gaston shown a glimmer of promise' date=' only to disappoint when given more game time? Don't get me wrong I want him to do well as much as anyone but I'm running out of patience with him.[/quote']

Not sure I agree. Played brilliantly vs villa and then Everton last season and well vs Newcastle home and arsenal were he scored in both and then work home and west ham home he scored. This season hasn't started a game or come on that much but was good vs spurs and v good vs Everton.

Hopefully we get something from this game but we are obviously firm underdogs. Should it be another loss that's only two wins in the last eleven games is that good enough? I know all teams have a few bad results in a row

He is a decent link player that sometimes gets forward. In a side that places the emphasis on pressuring the opposition he rarely gets tight, in most games he hardly makes a tackle.

He just let the Everton runner go and just jogged back, he had to pick up the runner but didn't see it. Against Spurs for the second goal he did the same thing, he had an opportunity to block off the Spurs runner but just let him go. Decent possession player, lacks pace, doesn't win the ball. He looks best when we are on top, IMO a bit of a flat track bully in cricketing terms but missing when the going gets tough letting others do the tackling.

He is a decent link player that sometimes gets forward. In a side that places the emphasis on pressuring the opposition he rarely gets tight, in most games he hardly makes a tackle.

He just let the Everton runner go and just jogged back, he had to pick up the runner but didn't see it. Against Spurs for the second goal he did the same thing, he had an opportunity to block off the Spurs runner but just let him go. Decent possession player, lacks pace, doesn't win the ball. He looks best when we are on top, IMO a bit of a flat track bully in cricketing terms but missing when the going gets tough letting others do the tackling.

Just wrong in so many respects. The only thing I will agree with is the number of tackles per game, which is quite low (1.2 average), but then even Morgan is only 3.something and he is our highest. The truth is tackles are actually quite rare these days, on average we make maybe 12-14 tackles per game throughout the whole team. It is all about pressing and interceptions. Davis having played less games than some has the third highest assist rate, and also very high in key passes per game (i.e. passes that actually lead to something). He also seldom loses possession and has plenty of shots. He has a great engine and is all over the pitch. He took a few games to get going this season, but he has been MOM or close to it a few times now. Maybe you still remember the Steve Davis of last season who struggled to make an impression after he joined us with an injury. He is really becoming the unsung hero of our team, not exactly the most creative but one hell of a worker.

For me was jwp fault for both goals. Didn't track his man forcing lovren to leave his man. First goal shaw 25% culpable too for not shutting angle off.

Shaw never shuts the angle off, it's his biggest fault,anyway back to JWP, he's probably gotten too used to lefties playing on the right and invariably cutting inside so that when he comes up against a righty on the right (who'd believe it in modern day football) then he still expected him to go inside. Anyway JWP is too small, too slow and too inexperienced to be playing in the role he's given whenver Morgan is out, he's not up to it and it needs to be remedied. We haven't won a game without Morgan in the side

although that may apply to other players as well.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Shaw never shuts the angle off, it's his biggest fault,anyway back to JWP, he's probably gotten too used to lefties playing on the right and invariably cutting inside so that when he comes up against a righty on the right (who'd believe it in modern day football) then he still expected him to go inside. Anyway JWP is too small, too slow and too inexperienced to be playing in the role he's given whenver Morgan is out, he's not up to it and it needs to be remedied.

Agree although shaw isn't usually that bad. Would you agree that clynes slightly better than shaw on what he does.