Everton 2 Saints 1 reaction

Glasgow_Saint

Who were the blends who dressed up as santa and his reindeers? WTF was that all about, I hope they dont go out tonight like that in Liverpool, they will be slapped right back down south el pronto.

Not me Guv. I was clad in designer clobber, and wouldn't have looked out of place in Liverpool's very own 'Cricket' fashion emporium.

Who were the blends who dressed up as santa and his reindeers? WTF was that all about, I hope they dont go out tonight like that in Liverpool, they will be slapped right back down south el pronto.

Sure they're right at home (save being on the rob for the fleetwood mac)

BcfVvMBIUAALbms.jpg

Doesn't say it all though does it. Where was Clattenburg at the time and the lino? If they can't see it they won't give it. Doesn't matter how obvious it is (and it does look obvious). Need to see the bigger picture, literally.

Never expected anything from Everton and so it proved. They have been one of our bogey teams ever since I have been following Saints. 8-0 in November 1971 always sticks in my mind (whether its relevant today or not is not the point). Never expect to get anything from them up there and seldom disappointed. Sounds like we played well, was listening on 5Live but did not have the cutting edge up front. Tators were glowing in their praise for Gaston, not because he scored but because he changed the game. In the bigger scheme of things 3 points from 2 away games is a decent return. Pity about the Spuds dross.

Yes we have an exceptionally poor record there including a 7-1 defeat too with just a handful of wins amongst the many Goodison defeats.

We did win up there for the first time in the league in 1966/67 (our first in the top divison) 1-0 again in 71/72 (the year after the 8-0 drubbing) with a lone goal by Ron Davis and again the following year in 73/74 in our last match of the season 3-0 (as a Birminghams 2-1 win v Norwich relegated us that year as third from bottom with Manu at the bottom, the first in which 3 teams went down). Then no more wins until two in the 90's 1-0 in 91/92 and 2-0 in 97/98 but none since then. so just 5 wins in 40 league visits!

Yes we have an exceptionally poor record there including a 7-1 defeat too with just a handful of wins amongst the many Goodison defeats.

We did win up there for the first time in the league in 1966/67 (our first in the top divison) 1-0 again in 71/72 (the year after the 8-0 drubbing) with a lone goal by Ron Davis and again the following year in 73/74 in our last match of the season 3-0 (as a Birminghams 2-1 win v Norwich relegated us that year as third from bottom with Manu at the bottom, the first in which 3 teams went down). Then no more wins until two in the 90's 1-0 in 91/92 and 2-0 in 97/98 but none since then. so just 5 wins in 40 league visits!

I was there that day. Snow, ice, minus 30, a minibus with a brick through the windscreen after. Got as far as Port Vale's ground (with no windscreen) where we were thawed out and entertained in their clubhouse, then lent a van to get us home by the club. Have had a soft spot for PV ever since.

Deserved a point there, referee was a ****ing bottle job.

Disappointed that it took us until the 75th minute to realise that their keeper was ****e, he really should have done better for our goal but fair play to Gaston, it had power and movement in it.

Didn't agree with MP's taking Cork off, JWP was having a mare and should have gone off instead.

Well for me MP is making quite a few mistakes - bad decisions if you like. We were not hurting Eveton and needed a goal - bring on Rimirez - good call..... However to bring off Jack Cork, I really think that was the mistake. MP constantly gives up the midfield protection when making tactical personnel changes. Cork was playing well - Ward Prowse wasn't playing as well and not only was that an odd decision but our very important holding midfield area was weakened.... For me MP needs to look at his decision making..... At times he does some quite strange things when a like for like swap of players would be the simple answer.....

Oh well should expect the usual abuse now I suppose....

Well for me MP is making quite a few mistakes - bad decisions if you like. We were not hurting Eveton and needed a goal - bring on Rimirez - good call..... However to bring off Jack Cork, I really think that was the mistake. MP constantly gives up the midfield protection when making tactical personnel changes. Cork was playing well - Ward Prowse wasn't playing as well and not only was that an odd decision but our very important holding midfield area was weakened.... For me MP needs to look at his decision making..... At times he does some quite strange things when a like for like swap of players would be the simple answer.....

I could only see cork coming off as he would have got sent off...he was making the most tackles and was on a yellow. missing him for chelsea would have been massive

Didnt watch the game, too early in US, about 5:30. From what I saw in recording of the game we definitely deserved at least a point. When was the missed penalty call you all were talking about and what happened?

87th minute

MisguidedCelebratedAlpaca.gif

The ref had a perfect view as well. Was another shout for handball just before/after.

JWP, Lambert and Shaw had very poor games.

I reckon that while he may have given the handball, it was close enough to the edge of the area that he would have placed the ball outside for a free kick rather than a penalty. Still a form of bottle, but one often used by referees.

Also, as I watched the match on a stream, I couldn't see what was done in central midfield after both the Cork and JWP substitutions. It looked like Gaston dropped deeper after JWP came off. Anyone there see what was done tactically and with whom?

Didn't watch due to my laptop packing up - no way could that conclusion have been drawn from the radio 5live commentary I had to resort to instead. If I was to summarise the impression they gave it would be 'generally flat game, Everton clearly deserved to win though saints woke up briefly and scored a soft goal when Ramirez came on'.

I also listened on 5 live. This is an accurate summing up of their assessment of the game.

Kevin Radcliffe was the "completely unbiased" match summariser that they used. When the match started you thought you were listening to Everton TV or something similar. All he taked about was Everton and we were there solely to make up the numbers. I took pleasure in the way that as the game progressed he was taliking more about us and less about Everton.

Mind you, the discussion on here about the penalty was complete news to anyone who had relied upon the 5 Live match commentary.

87th minute

The ref had a perfect view as well. Was another shout for handball just before/after.

That is not even debateable, it's clear cut, he even seems to wave at the ball in some limp fashion as it sails past. Only question is where was ref Mark C^nttenburg stood in relation to this ?

Should not be bringing on a 18 year old striker when we're chasing the game.

No other options, certainly not on the bench today anyway. Osvaldo has disappeared off the face of the planet it seems, so that leaves Tadanari Lee, Lee Barnard or a recall and squad place for Billy S...

No other options, certainly not on the bench today anyway. Osvaldo has disappeared off the face of the planet it seems, so that leaves Tadanari Lee, Lee Barnard or a recall and squad place for Billy S...

So in fact we have zilch, what has happened to the much trumpeted Isgrove..he must be injured I suppose but it never gets a mention anywhere.

What's all this talk about "deserving a point"? Winning is determined by the final score, and we simply didn't score enough.

The ref missed a penalty call? Maybe, but if we convert possession into goals more often we wouldn't be dependent on referee's mistakes.

87th minute

Can't see it mentioned elsewhere but on R5L they said it was the ref's first game at Goodson for 6 years after he made some controversial decisions in the merseyside derby. His name was roundly booed before the match. Wonder how this impacted on the late penalty decision?

That is not even debateable, it's clear cut, he even seems to wave at the ball in some limp fashion as it sails past. Only question is where was ref Mark C^nttenburg stood in relation to this ?

Well observed. The chap who commits the hand-ball does so in a very camp fashion. Maybe ****tenberg wanted to enhance his LGBT credentials?

someone we haven't bought yet. Too much academy crap going on just now, we don't need it and can well do without it.:uhoh::uhoh:

The only way a club like Southampton can ''challenge'' at the top end, is if we produce our own stars. We certainly can't go out there and buy ready-made superstars and never will be able to. The Academy route is the best way for us to go, and I'm baffled that it's being criticized. I'm proud that we're doing what we're doing with the academy and english players in the side.

They're not exactly a poor standard either, are they. We'd have to spend mega-bucks to get a left back equal to that of Shaw for e.g.

Academy crap. Better support another team as this is a very stated aim to use the academy

Well that's just to please the punters, I'm sure that when Nicola sees the results when depending on the academy it will soon change. He has 2 choices, either accept the pretty disastrous series of results that we've had since mid November which are probably totally due to injuries and suspensions to our principal players or get spending for young but experienced pros to get the club to where he wants it to be.

Well that's just to please the punters, I'm sure that when Nicola sees the results when depending on the academy it will soon change. He has 2 choices, either accept the pretty disastrous series of results that we've had since mid November which are probably totally due to injuries and suspensions to our principal players or get spending for young but experienced pros to get the club to where he wants it to be.

Is he wasting money on the academy that could be used to buy these players?

Basically.become a mini Chelsea

Agreed. Have Shaw, Ward-Prowse and Chambers ever won a game in a southampton shirt? Not good enough from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's the clattenburg thing. He has given his fair share of awful decisions against us

Exactly.

Last season : Fulham home he disallows Saints a 2nd goal when 1-0 up, Sky/BBC both said there was no pushing and "could not understand why it had been disallowed" --- Norwich home 1-0 up in the 45th min gives them a free kick on the edge of the box for a Snodgrass dive from which they score. --- Norwich away gives 94 min pen when holt fell over in the box, thanks to AB it stays 0-0. Saints players confront clattenburg at final whistle results in £20,000 fine. This season he gives arsenal a pen when Fonte was pulling a shirt, however viewing the incident on Saints player it shows Jos having his shirt being pulled by an arsenal player in exactly the same way. Clattenburg only sees the Fonte pull.

Exactly.

Last season : Fulham home he disallows Saints a 2nd goal when 1-0 up, Sky/BBC both said there was no pushing and "could not understand why it had been disallowed" --- Norwich home 1-0 up in the 45th min gives them a free kick on the edge of the box for a Snodgrass dive from which they score. --- Norwich away gives 94 min pen when holt fell over in the box, thanks to AB it stays 0-0. Saints players confront clattenburg at final whistle results in £20,000 fine. This season he gives arsenal a pen when Fonte was pulling a shirt, however viewing the incident on Saints player it shows Jos having his shirt being pulled by an arsenal player in exactly the same way. Clattenburg only sees the Fonte pull.

Great post. He robbed us today.

Makes you wonder........

Exactly.

Thanks for that, I knew there was more than one match I hated him from.