Everton 2 Saints 1 reaction

Glasgow_Saint

Didn't go today, but am not surprised we lost at Everton. Clattenburg is always bad for us. When I see him & Webb as the ref I simply give up on expectations of a win.

You may say that is silly, but it can't remember the last time we won when either was the ref.

Looking forward to Chelsea & Burnley.

After Liverpool v Everton debacle and his cock ups....Clattenberg would not give us anything in final third let alone stonewall penalty which he clearly saw.

CLEAR PENALTY FFS

Ref bottled it ...should never have been ref in another Everton game...

Very poor ref:(

Have to agree ref was awful

Really proud of the team. For all 90 mins they played thrilling, high-intensity football. A joy to watch. We deserved to win this one, but that's football.

Didn't watch due to my laptop packing up - no way could that conclusion have been drawn from the radio 5live commentary I had to resort to instead. If I was to summarise the impression they gave it would be 'generally flat game, Everton clearly deserved to win though saints woke up briefly and scored a soft goal when Ramirez came on'.

Clattenberg is an embarrassment to his profession. What is more embarrassing is that he gets to carry on making these appalling calls week after week after week.

If a manager performed like him he'd be sacked and a player who performed as badly would be transferred.

In fact, any individual who consistently made major mistakes like he does would no longer be employed.

How does he manage to get away with it and how are the FA comfortable with these incompetent fools ruining our game?

Should have won that, story of last season really. Play well, dominate, but gift goals. Not sure what was up with Shaw today, but he wasn't on his game - and the same could be said of JWP, odd that we left him on. The substitution of Cork for Gaston opened up the midfield, which is why Lukaku scored - Cork would have been there cleaning up otherwise, and so would have Morgan. We missed him today.

Overall, a good performance, but another of those classic ''what could have been'' games. Bit of a rubbish game from Lambert, we lack potency and threat up top if we're honest. A Lukaku type figure would finish this team.

How about a bit of praise for Gaston?

Didn't watch due to my laptop packing up - no way could that conclusion have been drawn from the radio 5live commentary I had to resort to instead. If I was to summarise the impression they gave it would be 'generally flat game, Everton clearly deserved to win though saints woke up briefly and scored a soft goal when Ramirez came on'.

that would be a crock of horse poo then

That was a pity. Quite symptomatic of some of the issues we have.

Losing at Goodison isn't a disgrace but a result was within our grasp, we played more then well enough for a point. Gaston's equaliser was one of the best we have scored in a very long time and there was a clear penalty not given at the end.

We went gung-ho at the end but with no-one capable of genuinely out-muscling Everton in a crowded box. We couldn't make the best of our far better possession and build up play thanks to being too static and predictable in the final third, it's telling that we needed a bit of spark from Gaston to break the deadlock, we need to see more of him and Osvaldo, players capable of unlocking well organised teams. Yes they frustrate but can bring more to the party then a 6.5/10 man will.

Frustrating, but well, onwards and upwards. We competed well at one of the more difficult places to visit.

Edited by Colinjb

Thought we looked good second half. Nice to see Gaston have an impact for once. Lets hope he can continue with it...

Lambert is not playing well at all at the moment, he cannot go to Brazil on this form surely. I'd like to see Gallagher have a bit more time to show us what he can do.

Clyne is obviously fit now after coming on but will he oust Chambers out of the side who has been excellent so far this season?

Lallana had his worst game for quite a while, JWP looked well off it, Shaw wasn't great. J-Rod and Rickie struggled to get involved. But despite that we did control a lot of the game, just didn't seem to really create that much.

They're a very niggly team, lots of fouls and breaking our momentum, but they won.

Clattenburg is an embarrassment of a referee. Absolutely shocking. Cant ever remember us winning with him in charge?

There"s a danger of being overly critical. I know you are not being so and not everything was right with today's performance (cutting edge and a couple of costly defensive lapses), but let's not forget we're a good side and showed it again today. Clattenburg definitely cost us, as I feared he would. Gave a pen for a minor shirt tug at Arsenal and failed to give a blatant pen today.

God what i wouldnt do to have Lakaku. He is got everything. power, pace, hold the ball up can pick a pass as well. Doffe a replacement for Lambo. Cmon NC 20Million!! Do it.

The prob is, his value would have gone through the roof now. Chelsea will have suitors from all over Euorpe. And he's getting closer and closer to a Drogba type figure as the days go by, so Chelsea would be mad to let him go.

If there was a chance to sign him for a fee, it would have probably been last summer if we offered enough $$.

Two matches in 3 days showed in jaded performances by Lambert (getting old) Shaw (still too young for too many quick games)

Good performances Cork Lallana Gaston. defence looked more stable but we are missing the ballwinning break up play of of Schniederlin and Wanyama

We should play Gaston and Clyne v Chelsea and Osvaldo if fit rest JWP, Chambers and Lambert as part of squad rotation.

When is the 4 card Amnesty is it next game? as Fonte is still on a knife edge!

Who ever appoints these refs need to have a good hard look at their decisions . Also you need to drop clattenberg from refereeing any more premier games

He was ban from refereeing at Everton for 5 years after he screwed up that liverpool game. Authorities were waiting for a nice safe home game to give him where no-one would look too close if he was a bit lenient on the toffee-c*nts. We had absolutely no chance of getting a big call.

Have to agree ref was awful

Forgot to mention Lino..kept giving off side first half etc..:x

Well played Saints..deserved so much more.:(

Well played Chambers , Corky and particularly Gaston who is Like Osvaldo, WHEN THEY PLAY......CLASS.:)

CLYNE BACK IN WITH CHAMBERS TO MIDFIELD.......AND definitely start Gasyon v Chelsea.:)

Ref....:mcinnes:

There"s a danger of being overly critical. I know you are not being so and not everything was right with today's performance (cutting edge and a couple of costly defensive lapses), but let's not forget we're a good side and showed it again today. Clattenburg definitely cost us, as I feared he would. Gave a pen for a minor shirt tug at Arsenal and failed to give a blatant pen today.

No I agree, just think although as a team we did ok, we didn't do enough with the ball - and a few individuals didn't have the impact they have been. Plus Lallana not playing as well as he has been isnt the worse news, he still played ok.

Clattenberg is an embarrassment to his profession. What is more embarrassing is that he gets to carry on making these appalling calls week after week after week.

If a manager performed like him he'd be sacked and a player who performed as badly would be transferred.

In fact, any individual who consistently made major mistakes like he does would no longer be employed.

How does he manage to get away with it and how are the FA comfortable with these incompetent fools ruining our game?

He's been prevented from reffing at Goodison for 6 years due to an abysmal performance there. Today was his first game back.

The prob is, his value would have gone through the roof now. Chelsea will have suitors from all over Euorpe. And he's getting closer and closer to a Drogba type figure as the days go by, so Chelsea would be mad to let him go.

If there was a chance to sign him for a fee, it would have probably been last summer if we offered enough $$.

offer Luke shaw as well as some dosh and go and get another LB. He just demolishes evre

yone in his path.

well, after chelsea, we play the likes of WBA, Sunderland, Fulham, Stoke, West ham in the following 6 games or so

Quite a few at home next month too. So there's a chance to kick on.

This ''spell'', compounded by injuries, will be the worst period of the season. We're now almost out of that, so if we can get back to the same level with the fully fit squad then we should end the season well. So no reason why not.

Frustrating game. We played well, as others have said, lacked some quality in the final third. Shaw should have maybe done for their first. Some right wallys in our end, spending the entire game singing cringeworthy songs.

Heard on the stream multiple versions of Steve Davis/Kelv Davis song - embarrassing :mcinnes:

I'm pleased to have competed so well with a seriously impressive team. We were much improved but Everton got the rub of the green for chances. Fonte MOTM, also impressed by Cork, Chambers and Kelvin.

Couldn't see the handball shouts. Their fans awful and ours not much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lallana had his worst game for quite a while, JWP looked well off it, Shaw wasn't great. J-Rod and Rickie struggled to get involved. But despite that we did control a lot of the game, just didn't seem to really create that much.

They're a very niggly team, lots of fouls and breaking our momentum, but they won.

Clattenburg is an embarrassment of a referee. Absolutely shocking. Cant ever remember us winning with him in charge?

I agree pretty much with this.......yet somehow if you look back overall we didn't do too badly and it could be argued we maybe even were slightly the better team....

I want gaston and osvaldo to play more so much.......

Yeah multiple times, plus 'You are boring' to Everton fans and 'Bale, Bale' every single time an Everton player went down.

'You are very boring', it was. Not much lyricism about today.

Just seen the gif of the handball posted above...wow. That's gutting, clear as day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says it all really

MisguidedCelebratedAlpaca.gif

On the stream I was watching the 'tater immediately said "never a pen", then saw it again and you knew he'd made himself look like a whopper but couldn't backtrack, and announced (despite the defender looking the other way to where his hand was poking out away from his mug) "yeah, no pen, players always put a hand up to protect their face". :lol: c***.

On the stream I was watching the 'tater immediately said "never a pen", then saw it again and you knew he'd made himself look like a whopper but couldn't backtrack, and announced (despite the defender looking the other way to where his hand was poking out away from his mug) "yeah, no pen, players always put a hand up to protect their face". :lol: c***.

Puts his hand up to block the cross after the ball is kicked. Clear penalty.

Did the Premiere league official match reporter see a different match to me? or am I biased?

The Hosts bright start?

No fluency from Saints?

Everton ended the match looking for a third?

No mention of the not given penalty?

Match report

Romelu Lukaku ended a five-game goal drought to help Everton return to winning ways at Goodison Park with a 2-1 victory over Southampton in the Barlcays Premier League.

Seamus Coleman gave the hosts the lead with a marvellous individual effort, but Gaston Ramirez equalised from 35 yards with a dipping effort that deceived Everton goalkeeper Joel Robles. Chelsea loanee Lukaku was on hand to finish a sweeping move just three minutes later and keep Everton in the hunt for European places.

Were it not for Thursday's defeat by Sunderland, Everton would have been celebrating an unbeaten year at home, but they responded to that set-back with a measured performance in front of their fans. Defeat for Southampton was their fourth in eight matches and leaves them adrift from the top eight.

Leighton Baines returned to Roberto Martinez’s XI and Robles made his first Barclays Premier League start for Everton in place of the suspended Tim Howard, with Kelvin Davis returning to the Southampton goal ahead of Paulo Gazzaniga and being called into action by Ross Barkley from Coleman’s cross in the third minute.

The hosts’ bright start paid off six minutes later when right-back Coleman picked the ball up on his flank and burst into the area before smashing an unstoppable strike into the top far corner. It was the Irishman's fifth goal of the season, surpassing his tally for the previous four campaigns combined.

Southampton came into this game on the back of a rousing 3-0 win over Cardiff City on Thursday, but struggled to find any sort of fluency for much of the opening period. Adam Lallana spurned a good chance after weaving through two defenders.

They were nearly made to pay just after the break, when a low cross from Bryan Oviedo found Barkley in the six-yard box, but the 20-year old failed to find the target.

Southampton began to find their feet as the game wore on, and several had chances in a matter of seconds after 65 minutes, Luke Shaw having a low drive blocked, before Jay Rodriguez's effort was deflected wide. Five minutes later they were on level terms in emphatic circumstances when substitute Ramirez sent a wicked swerving effort past Robles and into the roof of the net from distance.

The visitors could not hold on and were behind once again just three minutes later, as substitute Steven Pienaar and James McCarthy combined to give Lukaku a chance, which he finished with aplomb.

Everton pushed for a third in the closing stages, Lukaku firing over and forcing a great save from Davis, but a one-goal margin proved enough for victory

says it all really

MisguidedCelebratedAlpaca.gif

Doesn't say it all though does it. Where was Clattenburg at the time and the lino? If they can't see it they won't give it. Doesn't matter how obvious it is (and it does look obvious). Need to see the bigger picture, literally.

Never expected anything from Everton and so it proved. They have been one of our bogey teams ever since I have been following Saints. 8-0 in November 1971 always sticks in my mind (whether its relevant today or not is not the point). Never expect to get anything from them up there and seldom disappointed. Sounds like we played well, was listening on 5Live but did not have the cutting edge up front. Tators were glowing in their praise for Gaston, not because he scored but because he changed the game. In the bigger scheme of things 3 points from 2 away games is a decent return. Pity about the Spuds dross.

Lambert was not bad . I guess some of you like a scapegoat.

A good game when I eventually got to watch it . Though I missed the Everton winner when I lost connection .

As for clattenberg . He and the Lino on the far side were awful . How could he fail not to see that stonewall penalty . But what angered me most was on a couple of occassions clattenberg had a laugh and a joke with Everton players who fouled our players . Is he an Everton fan or just hates saints .

You have to wonder how C'burg can sleep at night.