Hammers in for Lambert?

Saint Charlie

they both played in all the lower divisions and are of large build, that is where the comparison ends. You are doing RL a massive disservice comparing the 2. RL has made more assists than many midfield players. His touch is sublime and his reading of the game superb. In my opinion he is poor in the air compared to the normal centre forward and wins few headers against the typical british centre half in a 50/50 situation.His quick brain and ball sense makes him get into the position to get goals.

In summary Rickie Lambert is head ad shoulders above Hoult as a forward and should not be compared just because they came through the leagues.

Did you actually read what I wrote? I agree with you that Lambert and Holt do differ on many points, and that Lambert is probably the better player as evidence by his call up to the England squad and the denial of Holt (although, admittedly, was there a striking crisis when Holt was 'eligible'?).

Anyway, just to repeat one more time for you, can you name another player who in recent seasons is as similar to Lambert as Grant Holt? I'd struggle, though I'm sure you can find a suitable name. I'm happy to change my mind if so.

Did you actually read what I wrote? I agree with you that Lambert and Holt do differ on many points, and that Lambert is probably the better player as evidence by his call up to the England squad and the denial of Holt (although, admittedly, was there a striking crisis when Holt was 'eligible'?).

Anyway, just to repeat one more time for you, can you name another player who in recent seasons is as similar to Lambert as Grant Holt? I'd struggle, though I'm sure you can find a suitable name. I'm happy to change my mind if so.

Berbatov.

well if you are talking about coming up through all the leagues then no. AL played in L1 CCC and PL and he is a provider and scorer of goals. if you are asking for a player of the same build then that doesnt fit, but IMO you are going on the sterotypical look ( put the fat kid in goal type of mentality), as in a large framed targetman, something i dont believe RL is.

"strikingly similar playing and physical characters, as Grant Holt".

Living in Norwich I've had the pleasure of watching Grant Holt play many times and I disagree that his playing style is at all similar to SRL's (except that they are both English strikers). As everyone here will be familiar with Rickie's style I'll concentrate on Holt at Norwich....

* favoured running at defences and into channels

* slow but powerful runner, happy to use strength / shoulders to muscle past defenders

* not a great first touch

* not a bad football brain but limited skill to execute therefore mainly stuck to his strengths

* you'd rarely see him do what SRL does and keep possession and wait for the right ball to play, always urgency

* wound up opposition players constantly (off the ball kicks and elbows sometimes leading to retaliation and opponent getting sent off)

* always ready to go down easily in hope of free kick / penalty

* gung-ho, never say die attitude, loved by Carrow Rd faithful

* not able to play the range of roles SRL is capable of (SRL used to play in midfield remember)

Lambert's game has never relied on any sort of pace, in many ways you could compare him to Teddy Sherringham who I'd argue got better as his career went on. Sherringham was 33 during United's triple winning season and didn't fade for a good few years, until he went to Pompey. :smug:

Lambert has worked steadily on his fitness although I think he struggles to play a full 90 when we apply the press. His role has changed this year. As others have noticed he is dropping deeper and playing a more traditional second striker role with Jrod, Lallana and Osvaldo feeding off.

Some of his passing is sublime, haven't looked at his assists but must be up there. If it were Gaston making some of those moves the commentators would be creaming themselves at what a talent we had acquired.

Ultimately he is a reliable, hard-working, well liked, skilful, capable, professional, penalty god player for us. Can't see us selling him to West Ham, or indeed him wanting to go.