Cardiff 0 Saints 3 match reaction

Glasgow_Saint

MotM vs Cardiff City (Away 2013/14)  

305 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Cardiff City (Away 2013/14)

• Gazzaniga
    • Shaw
    • Chambers
    • Fonte
    • Yoshida
    • Cork
    • Schneiderlin
    • Davis, S
    • Lallana
    • Rodriguez
    • Lambert
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Ramirez
    • Gallagher

Watched it - great game. After that first half I knew that was how the 2nd half was going to play out. Top performance from the whole team - Well done the fans for getting behind Gazza - really helped him and he grew in confidence with every save he did.

Lallana & Spiderman bossed it, hope to see Lallana's little 'dink' on SoccerAM tekkers next week, what a great move.

I'll credit Yoshida with a great shot saving tackle in the 1st half but he needs to seriously work on his passing to midfield - may have just about scrapped a 50% pass rate today.

All in all, we're back for the New Year and an important game to move us away from 10th place. COYR

78%. 48 of 62 passes.

Ah really? Excellent. Who's gonna go in there if Gibson's still out?

Leon Osman started today instead of Barkley (came on as sub) I'm sure they can work something out. Slightly differing positions but then can line up with a good attacking midfield without really dropping much in quality.

Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino: "The victory today was fully deserved. We were amazing today, we were excellent.

"It was important to regain our confidence and not concede a goal. It had been nine games without a clean sheet so today was important for our confidence.

"We were precise and my players were very brave.

"There are many games coming so it was important for our confidence especially after six games with no win. It was important to get that winning feeling back."

From the BBC live feed

As a Cardiff based Saint that win was long overdue - haven't seen us win here since 1995 .

Very good performance from the whole side and thought that we could have won by more . Utterly dominant throughout bar a few scares from set pieces, and some fantastic passing moves. Again great pressing and energy from the whole side. Thought that Steven Davis was immense - his energy and fitness levels are unreal , he was everywhere, my MOM but everyone played well. Great reaction save from Gazza from a chance that was ruled offside in the end but he didn't know that - the save and the crowd's backing saw him visibly grow in confidence.A Cardiff fan and friend of mine that I chatted with at half time thought that Yoshida played very well first half which he did , and did for the whole game.

Some quality chants - "he's just too good for you" once Adam had done a couple of City players and been dumped on the ground for his troubles. But really everyone played very well, Corky, Morgan etc . As they say in these parts - can't fault it!

2 points from 6 games is a poor run.

Great to buck that trend.

last 3 games. 2 decent results and one decimated team sheet against a very good team, when we actually scored 2.

Before that,two away defeats to top 4 teams, and 1 bad performance .

Todays result wasn't bucking a trend, it was a really good result against a modest but dangerous team.

Who would have thought Nigel Atkins defensive selection would get us our first win in 6 games and such an incredible result. We've truly come a long way since last Christmas.

Art it is good that you show loyalty to NA but you are wrong to try and compare the two manner germinal capabilities

last 3 games. 2 decent results and one decimated team sheet against a very good team, when we actually scored 2.

Before that,two away defeats to top 4 teams, and 1 bad performance .

Todays result wasn't bucking a trend, it was a really good result against a modest but dangerous team.

Good lord. 2 points from 6 games, against whoever you're playing, is a poor run. No wins in 6. 1 win in 9.

If you're that precious about form, we can call it a 100% record in our last 1 games, if you like?

Who would have thought Nigel Atkins defensive selection would get us our first win in 6 games and such an incredible result. We've truly come a long way since last Christmas.

You are obsessed. Adkins has gone. However, good you think Adkins was, it is time to time to leave it and move on. How long are you going to continue these Adkins obsessed posts, you are doing people heads in etc.

You are obsessed. Adkins has gone. However, good you think Adkins was, it is time to time to leave it and move on. How long are you going to continue these Adkins obsessed posts, you are doing people heads in etc.

Coming from a guy who still argues about how Hoddle should have been appointed 10 years ago......!!!!

This. People should be banned if they obsess about previous managers :)

Absolutely torn between Lallana and Davis on this one. Both were simply outstanding in the centre of the park today. I thought that despite Lallana's class and high standard of play, David edged it on account of his consistency throughout the entire game. There wasn't much between them in reality.

Edit: And with regards to the actual game itself, it wasn't easy to see much of the tactical side of things from Row F at Cardiff City Stadium, but I thought the team were almost unplayable in the first half. They put their foot off the pedal in the second half though I feel that was a natural reaction to going three goals up within half an hour.

Also notable was the sheer hubris of Gazzaniga who actions after the final whistle were far from necessary. Although he did have a decent game, it wasn't as if he won it for us. Save your showboating for when you actual make more than one decent save, pal.

Edited by ratio_decidendi

Absolutely torn between Lallana and Davis on this one. Both were simply outstanding in the centre of the park today. I thought that despite Lallana's class and high standard of play, David edged it on account of his consistency throughout the entire game. There wasn't much between them in reality.

Edit: And with regards to the actual game itself, it wasn't easy to see much of the tactical side of things from Row F at Cardiff City Stadium, but I thought the team were almost unplayable in the first half. They put their foot off the pedal in the second half though I feel that was a natural reaction to going three goals up within half an hour.

Also notable was the sheer hubris of Gazzaniga who actions after the final whistle were far from necessary. Although he did have a decent game, it wasn't as if he won it for us. Save your showboating for when you actual make more than one decent save, pal.

I thought the Gazzaniga stuff at the end all pretty over the top and awkward, but he did have a good game, and after a pretty tough week, you can't blame him for letting the emotions get the better of him.

Not sure why people are saying that Gazzaniga had such a good game, I thought he was still pretty poor. Didn't look at all comfortable dealing with crosses, mostly because he lacks the physicality to get past players to punch the ball away. Rooted to his line a couple of times still as well, and I counted at least 4 occasions where he ar5ed around with the ball inside the 6 yard box and nearly lost it - including one where he had to punt the ball out by the corner flag to avoid having it taken off him by their striker.

Still, I don't want to be overly negative as it was a very good win for us today, especially given some frustrating results over the last month. We showed how dangerous we can be on the attack, and looked a lot more solid defensively than we have done in previous weeks too. Lallana incredible again, he's in the form of his life at the moment. Jay took his chances well too. Poch learned from last week too by keeping Schneiderlin and Cork in the middle together for the full 90 minutes and not tampering with the spine of the team.

Roll on next week, let's keep the performances up and get a win against Everton!

Great team effort.

Shaw and Chambers are two cracking fullbacks / wingbacks. The set-up looks better with them.

With , Lallana , Davis and Schneiderlin outstanding today.

They'd be my shouts, Shaw, Chambers, Lallana and COrk all very good, Schneiderlin man of the match.