My next boxset

Saint-scooby

Battlestar Galactica (both versions, though I will concede that the new one is better T.V), Big Bang Theory, Castle though if I had to pick out of the 2 you've listed - Dexter, without a shadow of a doubt. Didn't finish Prison Break, it got a bit dull. Though the 1st series is very good.

If you've not got it, LoveFilm Instant is great for T.V series. They've got most of Dexter available currently.

The Wire is the absolute best there is.

Entourage

House of Cards

24 is fantastic as a box set if you haven't seen it before.

Netflix is a quicker, cheaper alternative to buying box sets nowadays, sign up for a free month and you could watch all of Dexter, 24, Arrested Development and House of Cards instantly without even paying a penny. Even when you pay, it's very cheap.

Thought series 7 of Dexter was pretty interesting as what I thought they were going to do (drag out the reveal in series 6) they actually did in one episode and then moved along at a fair old pace. I would agree that Dexter does get weaker though still has enough about it in the later series' to enjoy. Not see the final series yet though.

How could I forget about Game of Thrones. Brilliant.

And if you've not seen it and are partial to a bit of Sci-Fi, Firefly, whilst only 14 episodes long is amazing. One of the best TV series ever made and it is a travesty that it got cancelled so early.

I always hear about Firefly, but I tried watching the first couple of episodes and to me it just seemed like a bog standard western, dressed up as sci-fi. I'd heard similar praise for Arrested Development as a comedy, but, although it's decent enough, I don't find anything outstanding about it. Neither program really distinguishes itself in my opinion, but both are fine if there's nothing better to watch. Mind you, I got bored of breaking bad after a couple of seasons, so my opinion may not match the majority.

I've never watched Dexter, because I'd heard about it going downhill before I could see it, which kind of put me off. I've got that and Prison Break as possibilities on netflix and I'll probably get around to the sooner or later.

The shield is good.

The wire.

Justified

Sons of anarchy

I like the Shield, but the A-Plot gets ridiculous.

Ended up enjoying the secondary characters more.

Sons of Anarchy has major problems if you've a functioning brain. Ah'll steal yer boy! B*llocks. And Agent Stahl? Jesus wept.

I always hear about Firefly, but I tried watching the first couple of episodes and to me it just seemed like a bog standard western, dressed up as sci-fi.

When you boil it down, that is essentially it. The first few episodes were however clumsily done as Fox ordered a second pilot, after that though it really gathers it's own momentum and developing the characters. Eventually the series ends with 'Heart of Gold' and 'Objects in Space,' two of my favourite TV episodes ever.

It really frustrates me how this series was killed before it could fulfill it's promise. At least we got the brilliant film Serenity as a conclusion.

Firefly was well worth the time, even when I didn't know we'd get Serenity to finish it all off. With Serenity, it's almost perfect.

Just ignore the first ten minutes of "hey kids, we gotta introduce all these characters to the newbs" dialogue and you'll be fine.

Firefly is not about the stories or plot at all. It is completely the character interaction, the snappy dialogue and the relationships that develop in many interesting ways. Everytime we re-watch it it is like coming back to a family that you've really missed. Since watching that show, everything else that we see the Firefly cast in is immediately improved, e.g. Castle, Sarah Conner Chronicles, The 4400, as you miss them so much from Firefly.

I would even recommend Dollhouse, another Joss Wheadon show, though it takes some time to get into.

A damn fine series Ron.

But if anyone ever made it all the way to the end of season two, they'd end up mentally deranged and probably spend their days posting nonsense on an online football forum.

Incidentally, I was living in Australia when Twin Peaks came out and the morning DJ that I used to listen to on my way to work used "She's dead, wrapped in plastic" as a jingle. He'd play it 50-60 times every morning. Can't hear it now without grinning broadly.

I'd also give a shout to Sopranos. Never watched it first time round, but have just about finished all 6+ series since the summer. It's a stunning piece of entertainment.

One that doesn't usually get a mention but was great is Carnivale. It's about a travelling circus travelling around depression era USA with a supernatural bit. Very good and unfortunately cancelled after 2 series.

Also Freaks and Geeks. Early Judd Apatow stuff about early 1980's school kids. The fact it's Apatow shouldn't put you off. For me, he did his best stuff on TV when he had to edit out the fluff to fit into a timeslot.