Tom Clancy. RIP

View From The Top

Read a few of his books in my younger days, and enjoyed the numerous film adaptations - most notably Patriot Games (I even enjoyed The Sum of All Fears despite it starring Ben Affleck as Jack Ryan.) Took me months to get through The Bear and The Dragon (I read quite slowly!) but it was well worth it... An epic story on a grand scale.

RIP Tom.

Hunt for red october.

awesome film

I wouldn't know the first thing about submarines so it's good to know that somebody with experience of the subject matter thinks that. I guess because Clancy himself served in the military and that accuracy and attention to detail was important to him.

Hunt for red october.

awesome film

Book was better (was impossible to put down), but writing a script from that was probably a bloody nightmare. The book version of Sum of All Fears is also brilliant.

Personally felt the interwoven threads in the books after that got too complex.

I wouldn't know the first thing about submarines so it's good to know that somebody with experience of the subject matter thinks that. I guess because Clancy himself served in the military and that accuracy and attention to detail was important to him.

He didn't serve in the military. He was rejected because he was near-sighted.

He sold insurance before he found fame as an author.

He didn't serve in the military. He was rejected because he was near-sighted.

He sold insurance before he found fame as an author.

Ah, I stand corrected. I was always under the impression that he gained all of his insights into military hardware from having served himself. He obviously carried out some very thorough research before writing then.

Pretty much the only author that could temporarily turn me into a right-wing militaristic tub-thumper.

Most stuff he wrote on his own was ace. Collaborations, not so much.

Jack Ryan was a great invention. Would love to see some remakes with one guy playing him, and in chronological order.

Red October was his first book of the jack ryan series and he just hoped to sell a few thousand copies.

by the end of his writings of all his books. he was supremely rich

great author

Chronologically I think it might be second or third. Patriot Games is first, iirc.