Kanye West - Genius or Joke

KelvinsRightGlove

Right, I have been having quite a debate with a few of my friends. Granted, I'm not the biggest Hip-Hop fan. But, on occasion I have been known to dabble, and indulge in a bit.

My biggest bug bear is the repeated use of the n-bomb, constant "put my d**k in yo' mouth" comments and just general egotistical nonsense ala "I am a god, hurry up with my damn massage".

Plus he is just an awful, awful person. Completely lacking a sense of humour, and a massively inflated sense of his own importance and abilities.

My friends are adamant I just don't get it, with one claiming he is in fact "Kanye is the single most creative influence in Hip-Hop."

So, do other people like him? Are they right that I just don't 'get' him? Or is anyone else wholly uninspired by him, musically, lyrically and as a human being.

• 2 weeks later...

He's the best out there, and he knows it. Watch/listen to his latest Radio 1 interview, his ego is monumental. I'm not a massive fan of the person, I feel he says stuff purely for the reaction and attention ( his "George bush hates black people" comments). But as an artist out there right now, he's untouchable. He completely left acts like 50cent in the shade, by offering something different to the "gangsta" rap out there. I think he called it cultured rap. He's a trend setter and his latest offering is certainly ambitious.

His first 3 albums rank as 3 of my favourites and are marked as some of the best ever. He's a massive influence on hip hop due to his rap and producing skills, and will probably be remembered as one the most important hip-hop stars of all time. He does lose points though for having a song called " Gold digger" and then start dating one the Kardashians.

Also John Lennon was a bit off a c*nt , but that doesn't mean he isn't one of the most important people of the 20th century. I also dont "get" The Beatles , but I understand why they are so important.

Being a wallflower doesn't work in the Hip-Hop culture, if you want to be the biggest and the best you've usually got to be an arsehole. There are better rappers/producers out there but they've don't have the required ego to be superstars. Personally i quite like some of Kanye's music but he's slipped in the last couple of years lyrically IMHO.