Rush

doubleonothing

On Monday evening I was fortunate enough to attend a secret preview screening of the new Ron Howard film "Rush" which is in cinemas on Friday 13th September. As some of you may know I am a massive F1 fan and so have been looking forward to this film for some time. My guest for the screening has never seen an F1 race in their life and so I can give you the view of an F1 fan and a non-F1 fan.

We both loved it. So much so that the non-F1 fan wants to go and see it again when it is released.

As you may know it tells the story of the 1976 F1 championship and the battle between Niki Lauda and James Hunt for the driver's crown. The casting is superb with the actors nailing the roles of James and Niki as well as looking like them.

It was fantastic to see some classic F1 cars on the big screen, including the 6 wheeled Tyrell. The sound when they fire up the engines in a cinema is superb.

For someone who knows the story of 1976, I have thought previously that it sounds like something Hollywood would come up with. It suits the big screen so well. I was slightly dubious that it would be "Americanised" or "Too Holloywoody" but it isn't. Lauda's crash at the Nurburgring is spectacular but accurate.

On the whole it is a fantastic film. I only have one critiscism. Whilst the film covers Hunt's disqualification and subsequent re-instatement in the results of the Spanish Grand Prix it does not mention Hunt being barred from the re-start of the British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch following the first lap incident. This was quite a significant event as had it not been for the reaction of the Britisih crowd and them throwing beer bottles onto the track, the stewards fearing a riot would not have re-instated him in the race. I can only assume that had they included this incident it would have made Ferrari and Lauda appear to much of the villians of the piece

Overall though the film is superb and I urge you to see it. I fully intend to see it again.

OOO

• 2 weeks later...

I went last night to. Watch it with my wife.neither of us are interested in F1. I thought it was very watchable , and had forgotten about that particular year. My wife enjoyed it but would not want to go again.The film is not too in depth but the settings and feel take you back to the 70s

If you have an inferiority complex about your body don't go and see it as the guy who plays Hunt has one hell of a body. My wife's favourite part of the film.

All in all worth watching and the mutual respect of Lauda and Hunt shines through. 2 more different characters you will never find.

4star IMO