Norwich Post Match Reaction

Batman

Not sure if it was the high pressure from Norwich and the fact that they managed to get past our pressure so easily over the flanks but we were poor today. We created a few chances when we finally did get the ball in the final third but all in all we played sloppy and the whole team seemed disorganized. In earlier matches we seemed to playlast years 4-2-3-1 system but today that seemed to be totally out of the windows with a 4-1-2-1-2 formation with one DM, two very narrow wide players in JWP and Morgan and one attacking midfielder in Lallana. It didn't work, especially with Clyne and Shaw not starting we didn't have the width they provide. Chambers got forward from time to time but Fox was to scared to do so and I swear I could someone in the staff shouting at him to get up high and wide (watching it on TV).

I think we should have played a more traditional 4-2-3-1 formation with wide players (not wingers, just players that start out wide and can drift inside from that position). Plenty of positives and we hade a few short spells of good football but for the first time this season we were second best (and by quite a margin). Back to the drawingboard for Pochettino.

Palace easily putting to bed a ponderous Sunderland we laboured against just last week and Puncheon taking on defenders and creating the chances we have not managed in three games!

Oh come on, if Sunderland had scored early aka last week Palace would not had a sniff.

There was a lack of balance today. Only Lambert and Osvaldo are goalscorers, JWP doesn't score and Lallana is hit and miss. That leaves us woefully short up front. Two defensive central midfielders keep the goal count down at both ends. Neither full back really drove forward however we need midfielders to drive into the box to unsettle the defence. We were very one dimensional today. If we have six defensive players and only four attackers we aren't going to score many goals from play. It needs a tactical rethink, we need to get numbers into the box.

I'm just really disappointed that we have spent all this money yet have all the same faults as last year.

We have played three very middling teams and got middling results - we never look like we are going to score, we churn possession as if it is the sole object of the game and move forward so slowly that the other team always has nine men behind the ball.

We have spent £40 million on Ramirez, Wanyama & Osvaldo, but they genuinely look no better than Lallana, Cork or Rodriguez, just a bit less interested.

MP has got to make some brave decisions in the coming weeks.....

Disappointing start to the season, but all is not lost. New players need some time to bed in, Lovren has been excellent so far and Wanyama needs to follow his lead. Vic was an absolute rock against WBA, but he needs to reproduce that form consistently for the type of player that he is. Him sitting behind Morgan and Cork is the way forward I think.

Good to hear that Lallana played well, but I don't know why Poch keeps subbing him. He's got more energy than Ramirez and is willing to take people on, which is what we need. His link-up play alongside Rickie and Osvaldo is the key to unlocking defences.

As for Gaston, I think we just need to get rid. Hasn't shown any kind of consistency and doesn't fit in with our style of play. He'll come good, but I seriously doubt it'll be with us.

Absolutely f*cking sh*t. Pass completion must have been about 60%. Woeful. My gripes:

Wanyama - clumsy today and wasted possession, slows play down.

Fox - just sh*t. Can't defend, just backs off until they're in our box. When attacking, all he can do is receive the ball, turn back towards goal and pass back inside to Lovren.

Osvaldo - offered little

Morgan - not his usual self

Chambers - shown up today

Lambert - not really his fault, but was dropping too deep/wide to try to get involved due to no service.

Gaston - 1/10 today. Useless.

JWP - poor delivery today.

Poch - weird decisions. Cork should've been on for Wanyama, gets us moving properly. Lallana subbed when our most dangerous player. Fox played while Clyne & Shaw benched. Obviously didn't bollock them about out lack of tempo.

Fans - mostly silent. Really poor atmosphere, no noise or banter from us today.

Disappointing start to the season, but all is not lost. New players need some time to bed in, Lovren has been excellent so far and Wanyama needs to follow his lead. Vic was an absolute rock against WBA, but he needs to reproduce that form consistently for the type of player that he is. Him sitting behind Morgan and Cork is the way forward I think.

Good to hear that Lallana played well, but I don't know why Poch keeps subbing him. He's got more energy than Ramirez and is willing to take people on, which is what we need. His link-up play alongside Rickie and Osvaldo is the key to unlocking defences.

As for Gaston, I think we just need to get rid. Hasn't shown any kind of consistency and doesn't fit in with our style of play. He'll come good, but I seriously doubt it'll be with us.

9th in the table surely is OK

But we have not played a top team yet so probably disappointing but not a disaster

So we won a match 1-0, drew a match 0-0 and lost a match 0-1. We have more points on the board than this time last year. And have conceded one goal. Some Saints fans are really only happy when there's something to moan about. This was not a good performance but we are only three games in.

So we won a match 1-0, drew a match 0-0 and lost a match 0-1. We have more points on the board than this time last year. And have conceded one goal. Some Saints fans are really only happy when there's something to moan about. This was not a good performance but we are only three games in.

Who did we draw 0-0 with then?

Dont think we are a top ten side this season on the 1st 3 games evidence and will probably finish somewhere between 12 and 15 which will not please NC and could cost MP his job later in the season. We Still need a pacy winger and a defender who can cover central defence and left back if we are really serious about progressing this season!!

Fox should be nowhere near the squad and its time to start playing Clyne and Shaw at fullbacks. If we sell Cork before Monday night we are seriously heading backwards as a squad as we need to have back up players of his class not Fox,Guly and Jos.

Next couple of days will be interesting as we do desperately need some pace and something different upfront

Lol! 1 narrow defeat and all of a sudden we've apparently wasted £40m and have had a poor start to the season!

We probably did better than most terms will at Carrow Road this season, and we've got 4 points from 3 games. That's more than Arsenal, Everton and 9 other clubs.

Give it 10 games and see where we are then.

Expected.

Howard Webb was the ref (we've never won a match under him) plus I didn't think the team would be up for it.

I was right. Haven't posted much about my predictions this season after being ridiculed last season for saying we're going to go down.

That didn't happen thankfully, but I'm now going to put my neck on the line once again and say that I think we're going down this season. We've replaced all our hard-working, hungry players for a bunch of over-paid average players in my opinion.

We've become another QPR, and I expect us to go down.

:lol: On top form today, Kraks..

The thing is Alpy, I think the majority recognise how depressing it was to see Puncheon let go without replacement. Only a few blowhards will try to argue against the fact that, while we're a good, solid side, we're also a bit predictable and missing a bit of pace and a bit of skill in a wide midfield position or two. So letting go of one of the only players we have that can do that is a bit barmy IMO.

Never mind; transfer window isn't closed yet and all that....

We're either setting off on a european tour, or we're on the brink of relegation. There really is no in-between on this board. Get a grip people, it's one bad /away/ day. We didn't even lose by much. It's depressing, but it happens.

Apologies. I meant 1-1 but the sentiment, as you probably know, is the same. We are not conceding loads and the games have been fairly close. It's not panic stations just yet.

Only mental people are panicking.

I think following a drab end to last season, and a very benign set of fixtures in August, many people were hoping for us to fly out of the blocks.

Oh well. Good for keeping reality in check.

The Puncheon thing is pretty irrelevant. Even if he was still here he wouldnt have made the bench because MP doesnt rate him.

So not like he would have made the difference today.

So maybe shows that mp hasn't a clue at all? I think cork also makes Morgan look loads better and is a huge voice in the dressing room!

The Puncheon thing is pretty irrelevant. Even if he was still here he wouldnt have made the bench because MP doesnt rate him.

So not like he would have made the difference today.

I think you're missing the point Charlie. It's not that he wouldn't have made the bench under MP. It's that some people think it would have been better if he did make the bench (and even the team). Speculating that MP maybe doesn't make all the right decisions all the time.

Opinions, in other words.

I think you're missing the point Charlie. It's not that he wouldn't have made the bench under MP. It's that some people think it would have been better if he did make the bench (and even the team). Speculating that MP maybe doesn't make all the right decisions all the time.

Opinions, in other words.

I think he would be worth a place on the bench but MP is the man whose opinion counts.

Was at the game and we didnt lose because Puncheon wasnt playing.

I don't expect Saints to get relegated but above 10th is pushing it. I think we spent a very large amount on a few players which makes a huge gamble and would like to have seen a few more players to bolster the squad for the same money. We still over pass which provides opposition to get back in numbers or we give ball away. Norwich should have been a banked 3 points in the bag on paper!

Too end up 8th or 9th you need to score goals, which we don't get enough shots on target to get that. On the plus at least we are not heading for an early -100 goals diff.

The fact poch said we played well is disturbing, we did not. In denial?

Norwich were average and we were poor. 1-0 about right IMO and that was from probably the one moment if quality all game.

Strange team selection for me. Why have 2 fullbacks on the bench, especially with one able to play either side. If shaw is not fit then he should not be in the squad, if he is fit then he starts. Chambers has done ok but clyne is better & much more effective going forwards. Redmond was mom & Clyne would have been a better match.

We seemed to start with a flat 4-4-2 & then changed shape about 2 times in the 1st half alone. I wondered how poch would fit osvaldo & rl together and the worrying thing is I am still wondering as mp must be.

Since reading away we have only scored 5 league goals in our last 9 & no goals from open play this season. That is a big worry.

Thankfully we have improved defensively but at this moment if seems poch has no idea of his best 11 and no idea of his best formation. IMO 4231 has been our best and 433 looked good at WBA too.

I think he would be worth a place on the bench but MP is the man whose opinion counts.

I don't think you can say that. In a tight game that could have made all the difference. Man city home-punch played, chelsea and Liverpool punch played!

Norwich were certainly not better than us. End of the day they had the days star man in Redmond but a draw IMO neither side could have complained at.

We did lack that final ball to create a clear chance, but they equally were stiffled by our CBs.

Awful from Lambert today and on this seasons performances he shouldnt be near Hodgson's thinking.

Again. No-one doubts that. Forums are for speculation and personal opinion, nothing on here will influence the manager's decision.

We'll never know, will we?

Just got back from the game. At this rate we'll need to get the cheque book out again! We need some pace upfront / midfield another CB to play alongside Dejan.

Couldn't see the point of playing Fox and Chambers and having NC and LS on the bench? If they were fit they should have played. When NC and LS play they overlap and give us pace and width upfront which was sadly lacking today.

Victor looked like a £12-50 player not a £12 million pound player and Ossie looked like he didn't give a fook unless the ball was played directly to him. SRL had a poor game too along with the the ref again!

The result wasn't too bad, only lost by one goal to a team very much our equals. There were positives: Boruc, Lovren, Lallana and Fonte (looks way better than previous seasons).

IMO we have problems with balancing a first 11. We lack squad depth in full back positions, the Spider/Jack pairing needs to be reinstated, MP needs to make a brave choice about Lambert and Osvaldo and VW needs to play middle of the three behind the striker and put pressure on GR for that role. AL and JR/JWP competing for the flanking AM roles.

The result wasn't too bad, only lost by one goal to a team very much our equals. There were positives: Boruc, Lovren, Lallana and Fonte (looks way better than previous seasons).

IMO we have problems with balancing a first 11. We lack squad depth in full back positions, the Spider/Jack pairing needs to be reinstated, MP needs to make a brave choice about Lambert and Osvaldo and VW needs to play middle of the three behind the striker and put pressure on GR for that role. AL and JR/JWP competing for the flanking AM roles.

Tell me you're taking the p*ss? We lost, how is it not a bad result? If we'd played anything like we know we can, we'd have beaten them. They're not a great side at all, we made it easy for them today

Two former strikers near the end of their career would have played better than Osvaldo and cost mere pitance. Kevin Davies was kicked out of Bolton. Look where they sit today. Kevin Phillips, 40 yrs old signed a new 1 year deal for Palace and still able to put the ball in the back of the net. Even our own 3 unmentionables Sharp and Lee and Lee Barnard would have put in a better effort today. What I'm saying is things are very far from what they should be seeing how long Pochwettino's been here and the support he;s been given. Time for excuses is closing. We need results, goals and a Plan B, C, D to get where he promises us.

Was at the game, thought Norwich sussed us and were one step ahead of us tactically, they applied pressure on our back 4 so it was difficult to play from the back. We need a plan B as other teams will have seen the effect Norwich had. Thought it was a great game, Fox was ok to all those haters. JRod made a good impact. We deserved no more than a draw.

Any chance of some photos of your appearances at games. Sadly lacking for a future sports writer.

Two former strikers near the end of their career would have played better than Osvaldo and cost mere pitance. Kevin Davies was kicked out of Bolton. Look where they sit today. Kevin Phillips, 40 yrs old signed a new 1 year deal for Palace and still able to put the ball in the back of the net. Even our own 3 unmentionables Sharp and Lee and Lee Barnard would have put in a better effort today. What I'm saying is things are very far from what they should be seeing how long Pochwettino's been here and the support he;s been given. Time for excuses is closing. We need results, goals and a Plan B, C, D to get where he promises us.

I think you have a bit of an agenda Art, I don't think you forgive getting rid of NA

I expect AL was taken off as we hadn't scored and that MP felt that a fresh player with creativity may unlock their defence. Ok it didn't work but it could well have. My only real concern is that Fox is near the first team

Tell me you're taking the p*ss? We lost, how is it not a bad result? If we'd played anything like we know we can, we'd have beaten them. They're not a great side at all, we made it easy for them today

They certainly will not have Man Utd or Chelsea worried but they are definitely competing with us and West Ham for position. I think we have the capacity for improving our performances with the existing squad, hopefully MP can deliver.

I agree we could have beaten them if it wasn't for the team selection, tactics and substitutions which were all a bit crap.

Absolutely f*cking sh*t. Pass completion must have been about 60%. Woeful. My gripes:

Wanyama - clumsy today and wasted possession, slows play down.

Fox - just sh*t. Can't defend, just backs off until they're in our box. When attacking, all he can do is receive the ball, turn back towards goal and pass back inside to Lovren.

Osvaldo - offered little

Morgan - not his usual self

Chambers - shown up today

Lambert - not really his fault, but was dropping too deep/wide to try to get involved due to no service.

Gaston - 1/10 today. Useless.

JWP - poor delivery today.

Poch - weird decisions. Cork should've been on for Wanyama, gets us moving properly. Lallana subbed when our most dangerous player. Fox played while Clyne & Shaw benched. Obviously didn't bollock them about out lack of tempo.

Fans - mostly silent. Really poor atmosphere, no noise or banter from us today.

Good day all round then, any negatives Jack?