Ben Aflleck to play Batman

Monk

I don't really get it. First, I hear that they want to riff on the story from The Dark Knight Returns, Frank Miller's book from the 1980s. That'd suggest a much older Bats ( close to 60 ) than is being offered up here.

Next, why would Supes even fight Bats in this universe? He ain't the government's boy, like he was in the past.

Let's just remember some of the reactions to Heath Ledger being cast as Joker.

This was my initial thought when I heard the news of Affleck getting the role. In fairness to the bloke his stock has risen considerably in recent times, Argo and The Town were both very well directed,and acted by Affleck so I find some of the reactions towards him a little OTT.

As mentioned in a previous post i'm pretty sure the reason they aren't using JGL is out of respect for Christopher Nolan and the world he created. His Batman films were made to be very realistic, and almost un-comicbook like in the way they were written, particularly The Dark Knight. The underlying theme throughout his films was that anyone could be Batman, he was a symbol designed to inspire ordinary people. It would be a kick in the teeth to him to then bring Superman and whatever other unworldly beings into that universe, so i'd expect to see a Batman more like the 1989-1997 movies rather than the Nolan films.

This was my initial thought when I heard the news of Affleck getting the role. In fairness to the bloke his stock has risen considerably in recent times, Argo and The Town were both very well directed,and acted by Affleck so I find some of the reactions towards him a little OTT.

As mentioned in a previous post i'm pretty sure the reason they aren't using JGL is out of respect for Christopher Nolan and the world he created. His Batman films were made to be very realistic, and almost un-comicbook like in the way they were written, particularly The Dark Knight. The underlying theme throughout his films was that anyone could be Batman, he was a symbol designed to inspire ordinary people. It would be a kick in the teeth to him to then bring Superman and whatever other unworldly beings into that universe, so i'd expect to see a Batman more like the 1989-1997 movies rather than the Nolan films.

That's the thing, wasn't JGL basically set up to be Robin? Making him Bats would be bizarre.

Anyway, I missed it was going to be Batman vs Superman. It's going to be a trainwreck anyway. All these vs films are.

The exception proving this, of course, is:

tumblr_mabgllmu5q1qa4leho1_400.jpg

That's the thing, wasn't JGL basically set up to be Robin? Making him Bats would be bizarre.

Anyway, I missed it was going to be Batman vs Superman. It's going to be a trainwreck anyway. All these vs films are.

The exception proving this, of course, is:

tumblr_mabgllmu5q1qa4leho1_400.jpg

I had the impression that Nolan, in keeping with the realism theme, used JGL as a different take on Robin instead of the green Y fronted Robin we're all used to. Once you find out via the little twist at the end of TDKR what Blakes actual name is it makes you think back to how he was like a sidekick to Batman for the film. I thought Bruce Wayne leading him to the cave was his way of passing over the mantle of the bat.

I'm quite certain it won't be a simple as Superman vs Batman, as well, Superman would flatten Bats. They'll end up teaming up to fight a bigger threat in the end IMO.