Great Electronic Music Albums

dinger

I've been having quite a mono-maniacally bleepy weekend and it's inspired me to ask: what are the great albums of electronic music? Not necessarily dance albums, just records made predominantly with machines. Here's a few of my suggestions, tell me yours...

Orbital - Snivilisation

Alva Noto - Transform

Cluster - Zuckerzeit

Boards of Canada - Geogaddi

A Rainbow in Curved Air by Terry Riley - 1969

Snowflakes Are Dancing by Tomita (synthesizer versions of music by Claude Debussy) - 1974

Switched on Bach by Wendy Carlos (synthesizer versions of music by J.S. Bach) - 1968

And lots of albums by Brian Eno, e.g:

Another Green World - 1975

Discreet Music - 1975

Music for Films - 1978

Music for Airports - 1978

Edited by Hamilton Saint

A Rainbow in Curved Air by Terry Riley

Snowflakes Are Dancing by Tomita (synthesizer versions of music by Claude Debussy)

Switched on Bach by Wendy Carlos (synthesizer versions of music by J.S. Bach)

Yes again, HS! I checked out that Riley/Cale collaboration you told me about. It's quite something.

Kelpe - ex-Aquarium. Came across this a few years ago and it's wonderful. Quite down-tempo with an amazing warmth in his synth sounds, and his drum-sequencing is just exquisite.

Booka Shade - Movements. More dancey than above with a very minimal feel, but again with a beautiful warmth about it. Highly recommended if you haven't heard it.

For me though, the winner of 'most incredible piece of electronica ever' award goes to Orbital's In-Sides. I was quite disappointed with it when I first heard it, because I was expecting more of their trademark out-and-out dance-floor stuff. One reviewer called it 'techno for grown-ups'. It's a beautifully intricate album that works on so many levels.

Also....

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works vol. 1

Eat Static - Abduction (All their albums were good but this is my favourite)

And you can't have a thread like this without honourable mentions to Leftfield's seminal Leftism album, and any choice of a number of Chemical Brothers albums (Surrender is probably my favourite, but the most recent one, Further, is also excellent).

Also....

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works vol. 1

Eat Static - Abduction (All their albums were good but this is my favourite)

And you can't have a thread like this without honourable mentions to Leftfield's seminal Leftism album, and any choice of a number of Chemical Brothers albums (Surrender is probably my favourite, but the most recent one, Further, is also excellent).

Ambient Works 1 changed everything for me about the way I listened to music. As did Discreet Music, mentioned by HS above. I'll probably have to point out at this juncture:

Autechre - Tri Repetae

Oval - 94 Diskont