El Trofeo Memorial de Quinocho: Celta Vigo vs Southampton - (KO - 19:00 BST)

Saint-Armstrong

Apart from Jack Cork, most, if not all, the midfielders/strikers have scored some great looking goals at times, but apart from Lambert, haven't done it consistently. It was failure to convert chances that made the end of last season a disappointment when top half was there for the taking and a lack of goals left us in 14th. Don't think Poch will have learnt anything he didn't already know, that Cortese has just got to find him a quality goal scorer. The squad is good, but the missing player for the number 11 shirt does need to be someone quite special.

Just buying a striker isnt the answer to the goal drought. Under Adkins the same team were too open and leaked goals, but scored a lot also. The same players under Pochettino keep possession and move it around but dont create or convert anywhere near as many. Somewhere there is a balance to be had - and it isnt in spending £20m on Damiao.

Thought it was just more of the same crap we played under Pochettino last season. Shaw looked a real ponce and needs to toughen up and stop playing like a fairy. Can't remember Bridge being like this at 18. It no wonder so many at his age sign contracts and fade. I pray this won't be the case, and he needs to take a leaf out of JWP and Chambers page

"We're going to win the league, we're gonna wing the league..........." Who are you kidding Mister Hitler? Going to be a tough season where we've wasted millions and already hasn't shown very much. :(

Thought it was just more of the same crap we played under Pochettino last season. Shaw looked a real ponce and needs to toughen up and stop playing like a fairy. Can't remember Bridge being like this at 18. It no wonder so many at his age sign contracts and fade. I pray this won't be the case, and he needs to take a leaf out of JWP and Chambers page

"We're going to win the league, we're gonna wing the league..........." Who are you kidding Mister Hitler? Going to be a tough season where we've wasted millions and already hasn't shown very much. :(

You are off your tits

I take it there is now a consensus that we must break the bank for a striker of merit ?

Yes, but not if the player does not really want to be here. I don't see the merit in signing a player who comes here begrudgingly if forced out of Roma, or as a last resort .Or if he has a rape charge hanging over him.

I take it there is now a consensus that we must break the bank for a striker of merit ?

Yes 110%

Spent big on Wanyama who for me only looks a v.small improvement on Cork and not the area that needed the most attention.

Think weve been niave in the market again and could cost us.

On the plus side Lovren does look a big improvement on what we have/had

We looked much better with Gaston on the pitch. Lallana did very little, Rodriguez missed a sitter, but apart from that very promising. Like the look of Lovren, he is a big upgrade on the others, and looks like he could make a good partnership with Yoshi.

Shaw and JWP look like they've bulked up a bit. Wanyama is a monster but didn't particularly impress me in this game, sure he'll settle a bit more though in games to come - new level for him to be playing at on a regular basis.

We look much more solid under Poche, but I just worry the system doesn't really suit Lambert, and therefore we're struggling to score. His job to find a way of sorting that though! Overall a promising performance.[/quote

I agree Saint Garrett

They'll be more worried than we are right now. They looked 3 yards off the pace and couldn't get near us or the ball especially as the match wore on. N body gives 100% in friendlies but spurning chances can be habit forming so it would have been better if we'd taken our finishing a bit more seriously. Much to admire, some things to sort out but remember WBA are a very decent side and we won't out-run them this easily. We don't have much time left to improve our finishing and it is a real worry on today's showing.

Yes 110%

Spent big on Wanyama who for me only looks a v.small improvement on Cork and not the area that needed the most attention.

You cannot make this judgement after only a few friendlies give it a little more time. A little improvement in the Premier costs alot of money and don't underestimate how good Cork is.

You cannot make this judgement after only a few friendlies give it a little more time. A little improvement in the Premier costs alot of money and don't underestimate how good Cork is.

Cork is a cracking player, hence my point about buying an upgrade. Seems odd when other areas needed strenghening more

You must have been watching a different game to me. We outplayed a very very decent outfit away from home. Encouraging stuff.

Looks like your preseason is coming to an end soon and that you will get back into your good old shape in time for the new season, well done Sir.

Yes 110%

Wanyama may only be a small improvement to Cork in your opinion, but he's a massive improvement on the midfield as a whole. One reasonably long term injury and we would be screwed, as we were when Cork missed the start of last season.

True we did lose on pens but he normally writes up a little phrase along the lines of on the the next etc etc. I think he has really hurt his knee. That's never good.

On what basis are you making that judgment?

True we did lose on pens but he normally writes up a little phrase along the lines of on the the next etc etc. I think he has really hurt his knee. That's never good.

Lets hope not, would be annoying if he were to miss the start of the season. He did carry on after the clash and seemed ok but you never know.

Wanyama may only be a small improvement to Cork in your opinion, but he's a massive improvement on the midfield as a whole. One reasonably long term injury and we would be screwed, as we were when Cork missed the start of last season.

Thats a good point, understand the need for strengh in depth and delighted we got Vic.

Just think we are desperate for a goal scorer and all efforts should have gone into getting one.

Think we had two targets, both ambitious and after 6-8 weeks we seem no closer.

I agree he adds depth and another dimension - but £12m of extra compared with £1m Cork, Puncheon (c£400,000), Davis (free)? not really. The money would have been better spent on a good backup to Boruc and a striker.

I agree he adds depth and another dimension - but £12m of extra compared with £1m Cork, Puncheon (c£400,000), Davis (free)? not really. The money would have been better spent on a good backup to Boruc and a striker.

But we will get a striker.

It's not like we got Wanyama instead of a striker. We will have both. Bizarre post.

Depends. He may end up being miles better than them both.

Glad we have decided already, though

Thats a good point, understand the need for strengh in depth and delighted we got Vic.

Just think we are desperate for a goal scorer and all efforts should have gone into getting one.

Think we had two targets, both ambitious and after 6-8 weeks we seem no closer.

Agreed, we should have ignored absolutely every other aspect of the football club and concentrated solely on getting one striker in.

Flip it round - if we had signed a striker and no-one else so far, people would be going nuts.

But we will get a striker.

It's not like we got Wanyama instead of a striker. We will have both. Bizarre post.

So you think either

1) you can spend the same £12m twice or

2) There is an unlimited fairy pot of cash

Which is it? Bizarre

Things I learned tonight:

1. Gaston provides creativity in a way that no other saints players seem able

2. Someone needs to explain the offside rule to Mayuka

3. Steven Davis is better than I realised

4. Lovren is a class act and we did well to sign him

5. J Rod needs to become much more clinical in front of goal if he is to reach his potential

6. Given concerns about Mayuka and J Rod, we REALLY need a top level striker

Agreed, we should have ignored absolutely every other aspect of the football club and concentrated solely on getting one striker in.

Flip it round - if we had signed a striker and no-one else so far, people would be going nuts.

I think Lovren + a striker with similar calibre to Vic and most would be v.happy.

Wanyama will be class - he looks much more powerful than Cork and its not just the player vs. player comparison you have to consider. I think a midfield with Wanyama and Schneiderlin allows us to carry a Ramirez in a way that one with Cork and Schneiderlin doesn't.

Depends. He may end up being miles better than them both.

Glad we have decided already, though

Im not slating him - but when you look at the contribution Boruc, Cork, Lambert and Yoshida have made to the team for a combined cost of less than £5m the £12m in a part of the team we werent weak doesnt look so smart. Lovren was a much better signing because he's got the pedrigree in an area we needed.

So you think either

1) you can spend the same £12m twice or

2) There is an unlimited fairy pot of cash

Which is it? Bizarre

It's that we decided in the summer to get a defender, midfielder and striker.

We didn't spend all our money on Wanyama and its not a choice to have either Wanyama or a striker - we will have both, we just haven't got the striker yet. Judge at the end of the window and you will be happy.

Shaw looked a real ponce and needs to toughen up and stop playing like a fairy. Can't remember Bridge being like this at 18. It no wonder so many at his age sign contracts and fade. I pray this won't be the case, and he needs to take a leaf out of JWP and Chambers page

What utter crap, the only ponce around here mate is you. Pathetic really, sad an old man like you calling a good youngster a ponce. Shaw and Chambers were really good tonight, especially in the second half, the only players who played more than 45 minutes. Really hope Shaw is not actually injured, because the collision did not look good.

Wanyama will be class - he looks much more powerful than Cork and its not just the player vs. player comparison you have to consider. I think a midfield with Wanyama and Schneiderlin allows us to carry a Ramirez in a way that one with Cork and Schneiderlin doesn't.

Maybe and hope so. Ramirez did look lively tonight

See thats a much better analysis and thought process than St Charlie's

Im not slating him - but when you look at the contribution Boruc, Cork, Lambert and Yoshida have made to the team for a combined cost of less than £5m the £12m in a part of the team we werent weak doesnt look so smart. Lovren was a much better signing because he's got the pedrigree in an area we needed.

If we were in the market for league 1s top striker today. How would you react.

No Damiao or osvaldo. More like paddy madden, Gary madine or who ever

Or. As for cork, say josh mchecran

Doubt you would be too happy

Edited by Batman

Im not saying don't spend the cash, Im saying spend it wisely. Imo Norwich spending c£14m on van Wolfswinkel and Hooper will prove to be much more astute than £20m Damiao.

Maybe. But it's the market you buy from. And the potential they have

The hype about wolfs winkle is a little OTT IMO

What utter crap, the only ponce around here mate is you. Pathetic really, sad an old man like you calling a good youngster a ponce. Shaw and Chambers were really good tonight, especially in the second half, the only players who played more than 45 minutes. Really hope Shaw is not actually injured, because the collision did not look good.

The sheer bizarreness of his posts make me proper laugh out loud at times, more than most things on here. If he's not on a wind up it's even funnier.

I hope the arrival of a new striker will see Mayuka shipped out on loan somewhere. Really not convinced by this guy and don't think he is going to get the game time this season to improve dramatically.

He definitely cannot play the lone striker role, and would probably be better served by keeping Lambert on at the same time, who can hold the ball up long enough for Mayuka to use his pace and actually make some incisive runs at goal. It's probably happened on a few more occasions, but the only times I can recall that happening was when he won the penalty vs. Villa (which Lambert converted), and when they both scored in the friendly vs. Besiktas the other week.

Normally Lambert has been brought off and Mayuka put on and he has just charged around the pitch rather aimlessly. His inability to keep hold of the ball higher up the pitch also makes us very vulnerable when protecting a lead - see Man Utd home defeat. Seems like a good enough lad and I hope to be proven wrong, but not really sure he offers enough given our oft-stated European ambitions. His display today didn't really do anything to change my mind.

Im not saying don't spend the cash, Im saying spend it wisely. Imo Norwich spending c£14m on van Wolfswinkel and Hooper will prove to be much more astute than £20m Damiao.

For all MoPo contacts and friends i expected one or two bargains from Spain. Think Norwich and Swansea had ambitious targets and showed us how to do business with conviction and speed.

For all MoPo contacts and friends i expected one or two bargains from Spain. Think Norwich and Swansea had ambitious targets and showed us how to do business with conviction and speed.

Me too. Much of Spanish football is in financial turmoil because gates have dropped with the huge recession there, there must be opportunities.

Boruc......Great GK and soo glad our keeper.......

Chambers and Shaw at full back both played very well tonight..along with Clyne we have three very good players.

Hope Shaw will be ok:)

Lovren is real class and together with Yoshida a top partnership looking good..Fonte and Jos are very able back ups..

Wayama really impresses me and feel strongly that he will only get better as the season goes on......So pleased he is in our midfield.

With Morgan , Corky , Steve Davis and JWP...we have class/strength and options...We have Isgrove , Puncheon , Lallana and Guly...

Very impressed with Gaston tonight.......playing/supporting behind Lambert and Jay Rod...with Mayuka as back up striker........Maybe even a further striker to come..

Saints did alright for a training game.......Good turn out against Real Soc next week and we will be in a good position to take the game at WBA and home to Sunderland.

Whatever is said about Lovren and Wanyama......Two top class aquisitions....together with the emergence of Chambers and Isgrove...So far sooooo good..

Still think we will have a new striker in line for next Saturday.:)

Well done Saints.