El Trofeo Memorial de Quinocho: Celta Vigo vs Southampton - (KO - 19:00 BST)

Saint-Armstrong

Having watched all our pre-season games i have been impressed with our build up to the new season. We looked very good yesterday and i was surprisingly impressed by the second half team. Yes Guly's penalty was awful but forget that and he had a very decent half.

Like many others my one main concern is that we are lacking in the striking department. We are still far to dependant on RL to score our goals and although i really hope i'm wrong i don't think he will be as effective this season.

I don't know who we really have been chasing as a striker and i can't believe we have not been trying to strengthen in this department but one thing is for sure we badly need another very good alternative to RL.

I have very little criticism of NC but i am slightly worried that we might be throwing all our eggs into one basket and attempting to sign a Brazillian who on the face of it does not appear to be overly keen to come here.....i sincerely hope we are targetting other strikers and it is just the "Southampton way" that means we really have no idea whats going on!

January's transfer failings suggest our transfer policy is very much of the "eggs in one basket" type.

exactly that.

I mean, we were never linked wit Astori and lovren

or banega, nainggoloan or wanyame

no way could we be linked with both osvaldo or damiao.

we are all or nothing. we do transfers like football manager

exactly that.

I mean, we were never linked wit Astori and lovren

or banega, nainggoloan or wanyame

no way could we be linked with both osvaldo or damiao.

we are all or nothing. we do transfers like football manager

And maybe the Forren debacle has convinced the transfer committee that strategy is the right way?

would have liked to see the starting XI (with the exception of Davis of course) stay on for an hour Not a big fan of the "impact players" getting a run out every game myself. Tbh our front men need to hone their scoring skills just now and the more they play the more they'll do that. I do hope the "technical director" or whatever it is that Reed calls himself isn't interferring to get the young players game time. Hopefullyy we'll see the first XI with a couple of late subs only next Saturday

One of our bigger options of scoring goals is Clyne linking up with Puncheon down the left. With Clyne not present we lacked chances that could have given us the goals we needed. Anyone discovered what is up with Clyne or why he has been absent?

One of our bigger options of scoring goals is Clyne linking up with Puncheon down the left. With Clyne not present we lacked chances that could have given us the goals we needed. Anyone discovered what is up with Clyne or why he has been absent?

he got a knock in training in Austria.............obviously a bit worse than just a routine knock though. Celta seemed to know that Chambers is just a newbie cos they went down his side all of the first half.

Agreed (although I think generally buying a good striker is harder than a defender or midfielder.)

of course it is "big clubs" want far more good strikers than they actually have need of. Many a 3rd string striker at Utd,Juventus,Bayern and Barcelona are far better than any of ours.

You don't think Chambers created the best chance of the game??

You don't think Chambers created the best chance of the game??

no that was JRod all by himself profiting from an error by a Celta player. He really need to tuck those away. Chambers did put in an excellent cross though which Lambert should have nodded home. Pochettino must be tearing his hair out when he sees chances like those going begging..... again. It's just like the end of last season. If we don't put them away in friendlies I see no reason as to why we'll put them away in PL games. Our strikers panic in front of goal. Van Persie or Rooney or Suarez would have slotted them with their eyes closed.

It is evident going by the end of last season and this pre-season that we need a proper goalscorer. The good thing is that, with Lovren and Wanyama in and looking like they can make a difference defensively, if we get a good striker in we'll end up between 8th and 10th IMO

If it doesn't happen I think we'll end up 12th/13th thanks to the improvement defensively, but the lack of a goalscorer will stop us breaking into the top half.

Thanks Window Cleaner for the info on Clyne. Missed the Austrian match due to medical treatment so really appreciate your reply. I was worried some of the rumors that other clubs were after him might be true.

Chambers was really great Faz, and I agree his effort was top notch

would have liked to see the starting XI (with the exception of Davis of course) stay on for an hour Not a big fan of the "impact players" getting a run out every game myself. Tbh our front men need to hone their scoring skills just now and the more they play the more they'll do that. I do hope the "technical director" or whatever it is that Reed calls himself isn't interferring to get the young players game time. Hopefullyy we'll see the first XI with a couple of late subs only next Saturday
Would be inclined to agree - who has played a full 90mins so far in pre-season? Think only Cork and Chambers? I expect this Saturday to be a full dress rehearsal for the West Brom game, so our firt choice team playing a full 90 or at least close to that.