Keeping Track of the Contracts 2024-25

Over land and sea

I work at CTFC. So I saw Jake play alot this year.

He came in and looked ok but to me, he seemed short of match fitness, understandably. He always got well stuck in and put himself about a lot. Then he got injured for a while and the same cycle repeated. 

To me, he lacks the pace or attacking threat to play higher than L1/L2 right now. No goals, a couple of assists, played on the left of a midfield 4 mostly. He needs to have a regular season in L2 and I suspect that's where he'll end up. Well liked at CTFC from what I could gather though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Over land and sea said:

Thanks @SuperSAINT for posting the Twitter and Instagram posts.  The OS gave up on providing information on departures and many of the contract extensions some time time ago so until the PL publishes the definitive lists (by second Saturday in June) these now look to be the best sources of information.

No problem.  If I see anything else, I’ll post it on here to keep your list updated.  Imagine there’s still a fair few to leave yet.

It is strange how hush-hush we keep it.  

Edited by SuperSAINT
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

No problem.  If I see anything else, I’ll post it on here to keep your list updated.  Imagine there’s still a fair few to leave yet.

It is strange how hush-hush we keep it.  

Thanks both for the updates - don't want to derail the thread but of course a lot is now discussed about mental health of footballers who are released its perhaps best we never release an article basically saying "the following 18-20 year olds were not good enough..."

4 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Thanks both for the updates - don't want to derail the thread but of course a lot is now discussed about mental health of footballers who are released its perhaps best we never release an article basically saying "the following 18-20 year olds were not good enough..."

This is very true.  The Jeremy Wisten case bought this to light recently. 

The James Morris Instagram post struck a chord with me - he’s supported the club all this time and has come up through the ranks for more than half of his life.  It must be brutal to leave.

You could look at it another way - the club announcing it and wishing them good luck doesn’t change the fact that we’ve done it, though.

19 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Supposed to be quite decent - think he was part of some England age group squads (although the article says he's represented Serbia now).

I wouldn’t bet against him getting into the B team next season.  We were bodging fullbacks into central midfield at times.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2021-06-04/southampton-football-club-2021-retained-list-released-players

Released...

Ryan Bertrand
Jake Hesketh
Josh Sims
David Agbontohoma
Lucas Defise
Pascal Kpohomouh
Kingsley Latham
Kameron Ledwidge
James Morris
Thomas O'Connor
Tommy Scott

Plus, regarding Harry Lewis and Sam McQueen...

Edited by Matthew Le God

Yes, good luck to all the departing players - and those being offered new deals.

The PL have now published a full list of retained players here  https://www.premierleague.com/news/2163099

Contracts
Abdul Karim, Mohamed Salisu 
Adams, Che Sac Everton Fred 
Armstrong, Stuart 
Bednarek, Jan 
Bellis, Samuel Lawrence Alexander 
Bycroft, Jack Thomas 
Chauke, Kgaogelo 
Diallo, Ibrahima 
Djenepo, Moussa 
Edwards, Milan Diamond Lazane 
El Younossi, Mohamed 
Ferry, William 
Finnigan, Ryan James 
Forster, Fraser Gerard 
Gunn, Angus Fraser James 
Hoedt, Wesley 
Ings, Daniel William John 
Jankewitz, Alexandre Tounde Dimitri 
Lemina, Mario Rene Junior 
Lewis, Harry Charles John 
Long, Shane Patrick 
McCarthy, Alex Simon 
McQueen, Samuel James (Offer Contract)
Mitchell, Ramello Dejorn 
Nlundulu, Dan 
Obafemi, Michael Oluwadurotimi 
Olaigbe, Kazeem Aderemi J. 
Olufunwa, Oludare Samuel Araba 
Pambou, Makaya Leon 
Ramsay, Kayne 
Redmond, Nathan Daniel Jerome 
Rodriguez, Borja Jeremi Alexander 
Ross-Lang, Fedel 
Slattery, Callum 
Smales, Braithwaite Benjamin 
Smallbone, William Anthony Patrick 
Stephens, Jack 
Tchaptchet, Wandja Allan (Offer Contract)
Tella, Nathan 
Valery, Yan 
Vestergaard, Jannik 
Vidal, Oriol Romeu 
Vokins, Jake 
Walker-Peters, Kyle Leonardus 
Ward-Prowse, James Michael Edward 
Watts, Caleb Cassius 

Scholars 
Babic, Goran Gogo 
Bailey, Samuel James (Extended)
Beach, Edward James 
Burnett, Ethan Darren (Offer Contract)
Carson, Matthew 
Davey, Teddy Jay (Extended)
Hall, Matthew Gary (Offer Contract)
Lillienberg, Gustav Erik 
Otseh-Taiwo, Zuriel Jonathan (Offer Contract)
Payne, Lewis James 
Pearce, Luke Edward Andrew 
Smith, Jayden Pharell Llamar Mills (Offer Contract)
Tizzard, William James (Offer Contract)
Tshaka, Kaya Sean 
Turner, Jack Henry (Offer Contract)
Woods, Harvey James 
Wright, Oliver Lennon George (Offer Contract)

And a full list of released players here:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2163104

Agbontohoma, David Osaretim
Bertrand, Ryan
Defise, Lucas Nsiona K
Hesketh, Jake Alexander
Kpohomouh, Pascal
Latham, Kingsley Finn
Ledwidge, Kameron Malcolm
Morris, James William
O'Connor, Thomas James
Scott, Tommy John
Sims, Joshua Samuel

I've updated the opening post.

10 minutes ago, Over land and sea said:

Yes,  I agree - I'll assume 2022.  We were never told what happened when his contract expired in June 2020 so it looks like that was a 1 year extension.

Stealth contract extensions are as tricksy as stealth releases. What happened to Seamas Keogh?!

37 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Tom Leach saying 1 year option was triggered, so I guess go with that.

Sounds like he will (finally) go out on loan - I reckon to L2 or National League.

With Scott and Latham (both odd signings in the first place) released, surely there will be at least one Academy GK signed...an area we always seem weak.

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Sounds like he will (finally) go out on loan - I reckon to L2 or National League.

With Scott and Latham (both odd signings in the first place) released, surely there will be at least one Academy GK signed...an area we always seem weak.

We always seems to have a goalkeeping tombola going on.

We still have Bycroft / Wright / Hall / Lillienberg / Beach all in the academy. 

7 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Stealth contract extensions are as tricksy as stealth releases. What happened to Seamas Keogh?!

And Marcus Rus/Enzo Robise - all three disappeared without any mention on the OS.  Robise is still listed in the B team but the others were removed without explanation.

On 04/06/2021 at 21:48, Dusic said:

I'd assume Lewis will fill that bizarre position that seems to have grown up in the premier league(stuart taylor etc) of the 3rd choice match day warm up keeper

On 04/06/2021 at 21:48, Dusic said:

He's been on loan before to Dundee Utd in the Scot Championship. 

On 06/06/2021 at 20:10, VectisSaint said:

He's been on loan before to Dundee Utd in the Scot Championship. 

Lewis signed very young from ..Shrewsbury (?) and has had a loan out chance in Scotland, but somehow is still here.

Goalkeeping is a strange position to progress in - especially for a young man.  Whilst outfield players can get their  

debut games as teenagers, many keepers still haven't made their mark when well into their twenties. 

Biggest problem is understudying an established international who has the first team spot and can play well into their 30's. 

(Don't know who the youngest "regular " Prem. keeper is ?....but there can't be so many). 

Those "Saints " who came young  but later fell by the wayside include players like  Bialkowski and Gazzaniga who 

had a few chances, but often failed to impress when called upon in an emergency when it mattered most. 

Even now many cannot agree on whether McCarthy or Forster should our best first choice custodian, and so Lewis'

future is still in limbo.  He may well get more B team chances, but our best young keeper of late is probably Jack Bycroft.

On 08/06/2021 at 16:18, david in sweden said:

Lewis signed very young from ..Shrewsbury (?) and has had a loan out chance in Scotland, but somehow is still here.

Goalkeeping is a strange position to progress in - especially for a young man.  Whilst outfield players can get their  

debut games as teenagers, many keepers still haven't made their mark when well into their twenties. 

Biggest problem is understudying an established international who has the first team spot and can play well into their 30's. 

(Don't know who the youngest "regular " Prem. keeper is ?....but there can't be so many). 

Those "Saints " who came young  but later fell by the wayside include players like  Bialkowski and Gazzaniga who 

had a few chances, but often failed to impress when called upon in an emergency when it mattered most. 

Even now many cannot agree on whether McCarthy or Forster should our best first choice custodian, and so Lewis'

future is still in limbo.  He may well get more B team chances, but our best young keeper of late is probably Jack Bycroft.

When it comes to keepers it seems no point of trying to bring them through the ranks. Keepers rarely come good till their in the latter years. 

you don’t seem to get young keepers as a number 1 in our team so why persist? 

we buy ready made keepers. Genuine question?

9 hours ago, egg said:

That's a strange move, a relegation fight in a poor league. Good luck to him nonetheless

Thought it was a good move actually, probably better than League One, at least some decent  opposition, looks like guaranteed games, away from the spotlight of the EFL and with a decent manager/coach. 

1 minute ago, VectisSaint said:

Thought it was a good move actually, probably better than League One, at least some decent  opposition, looks like guaranteed games, away from the spotlight of the EFL and with a decent manager/coach. 

It's a mixed league so I guess he'll have some games where he can get forward more, and others where he'll be tested defensively. He's shown promise and needs games somewhere. Either way, it has to be better than a season of b team games, bench warming and a couple of cup games. Hopefully he does well. 

• Over land and sea changed the title to Keeping Track of the Contracts 2024-25