Daniel Osvaldo - Signs 4 Year Deal

SO16_Saint

Far be it from me to tell an architect his job, but surely there would be merit in having the new stand overlooking the pitch?

Best post of the day :)

Their owner was on the radio talking about "sustainable" "not running up debt". "Keeping fans happy but only signings they can afford"

I like this bit of translation:

The Saints have raised the offer to the Giallorossi to 20 million. Now the player must give an answer shortly. Inter hopes, of course, the umpteenth refusal

How many time does he have to - or will he - reject us before we get the message ?

Of course the Cortese answer will be " but he only has to say yes, once.." , especially if we are intending making him an offer he can't refuse

Unfortunately we don't really know how these transfers work,they are never as straight forward as it seems,the player and agent could be holding out for more cash or bigger teams to come in.

Until he does a Damiao and states that he wants to play for a team with more "ambition" we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that he does not want to join us,he still has a few weeks and its not like we are the only team interested.

We have apparently come back and raised our initial offer,so if he is playing games it seems to be working as we are reportedly offering over £50k a week now.

I have always been sceptical about us pulling any "major" deal off,but over the last few days we have all seen that anything can happen

How many time does he have to - or will he - reject us before we get the message ?

Do you mean how many times will a refusal have to be reported? Negotiations often involve refusals before the final acceptance, journalist will dress a refusal in as dramatic terms as they can muster.

The people involved aren't idiots who haven't negotiated contracts before...sit back relax and let them get on with it.

To paraphrase Marx (Groucho I think) - I wouldnt want to be part of a club that would have me as a member.

The ambition being shown to sign these players isn't enough to convince them that we are ambitious? They want to play for clubs that have better players than them so they can go along for the ride? Or they want to understand that the clubs ambition doesnt stop with them? Too many variables for me but what a story.

Fascinating to be a Saints fan at the moment and what a journey for us all from three years ago and from where the bitter w**kers are at the moment.

Enjoy :)

All too similar to Gaston from last year.

There were loads of articles about it happening, then not, then happening, then rejecting us, then we couldn't agree a % with another club, so it was over. Then Bologna wanted more money. etc.

And all through that, it was pretty clear that he had already agreed to come here and that week of ''will he or won't he'' stories were basically non-stories, as all we were waiting on was work permit approval before it was announced.

The translations from these Italian sites were shocking though, so much is being lost! (mainly context!!)

BRtGxGkCQAAjNmc.jpg:large

Osvaldo sold to Southampton

It's the bit under the headline that's important. If I guess at the word obscured following the "s", then say it was probably "sole"

Then it would read that Rome has closed the deal for 18 million euros, now it only lacks the yes from the player.

Ceduto means transfer not sold.

that's the probalem with online translation. Google translate suggests it could mean

Osvaldo succumbed to Southampton

Osvaldo yielded to Southampton

Osvaldo transferred to southampton

All sound positive. Maybe a speaker can give a more concise translation.

He'd better hurry up and sign as we have a tricky trip to Barnsley coming up in the Carling Cup. If that doesn't make him realise he's arrived in the 'big time' then I don't know what will.

Love him to sign yet part of me thinks we've no chance.

I work with an Italian who used to play Serie B and is a Roma fan to boot. He was genuinely astounded that we are in for him.

LGTL - I have an Italian staying with me who used to play for Lazio and is a Roma fan! Does your man work or live in Southampton? if so it would be good if they can meet or speak.

LGTL - I have an Italian staying with me who used to play for Lazio and is a Roma fan! Does your man work or live in Southampton? if so it would be good if they can meet or speak.

is it Paulo Di Canio ?

that's the probalem with online translation. Google translate suggests it could mean

Osvaldo succumbed to Southampton

Osvaldo yielded to Southampton

Osvaldo transferred to southampton

All sound positive. Maybe a speaker can give a more concise translation.

I like the sound of succumbed !!!

Why do you say that? None of us really know what the situation is. We went through an on/off transfer saga with Ramirez last summer which concluded on deadline day.

Was only saying that in jest.

I'm in complete agreement with you, I even posted above my views on it.

My question is why people think a player might in the end choose a team to go to but not wanting to perform there?

Why do anyone think a player want to destroy their own career when they have made the choice in the end where they are going to play...?

If we have offered him a reported €3 million salary a year, will that still be enough to tempt him?

The link below suggests he is on a fair bit more than this at Roma anyway, starting at €3.6m and rising to €4.47m by 2015-2016 season.

Would love it if he comes, but its not exactly the same position as Ramirez or Wanyama where we are offering the player a significant hike in wages.

If based on current press reports - which could be wide of the mark - it would seem that Osvaldo would have to take a wage cut to come here.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2011/08/25/2636032/roma-sign-striker-pablo-osvaldo-from-espanyol-for-15-million

If we have offered him a reported €3 million salary a year, will that still be enough to tempt him?

The link below suggests he is on a fair bit more than this at Roma anyway, starting at €3.6m and rising to €4.47m by 2015-2016 season.

Would love it if he comes, but its not exactly the same position as Ramirez or Wanyama where we are offering the player a significant hike in wages.

If based on current press reports - which could be wide of the mark - it would seem that Osvaldo would have to take a wage cut to come here.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2011/08/25/2636032/roma-sign-striker-pablo-osvaldo-from-espanyol-for-15-million

If those figures are correct I think the difference would be cancelled out (and even more than so probably) with a sign-on bonus....

Far be it from me to tell an architect his job, but surely there would be merit in having the new stand overlooking the pitch?

You'd think so, wouldn't you. But this stand is pretty exclusively for the prawn and sandwiches brigade at Fulham (ie bankers) so a view of the river is pretty vital, football being so declasse.

You'd think so, wouldn't you. But this stand is pretty exclusively for the prawn and sandwiches brigade at Fulham (ie bankers) so a view of the river is pretty vital, football being so declasse.

If the stand is mainly used by Bankers, can we have a word with the Architects and have the windows open up UNDER the river? With doors that can only be opened from outside?

So Marco - you think this transfer will happen now?

Hard to say really. I think it is obvious Roma want him gone as they need money just like most of the other clubs in Italy. But it all boils down to who is in for him and right now it looks as though we are the only ones. The problem I doubt is about wages it is probably about him wanting to progress in his career and we would obviously be a step back. Especially as it is a World Cup year next year. However I don't think playing for us means he wouldn't get picked. Giaccherini just moved from Juve to Sunderland and he played in every game at the recent Confederations cup. So moving to a non CL team does not mean you won't get picked.

So it is hard to call it really. I hope he joins as he is a quality player but I think all it will take is a club to come in at the last minute who can offer CL or even Europa League football and we will lose out. But if we have offered anywhere between £12m-£20m then I can't see many teams wanting to pay that.

He really must not want to come here is we have offered way over the odds so maybe we should leave it.

We have to face facts, we are a provincial club and unless we pay well over the odds and the player has a small inclination to come here its going to be hard to get that Champions League place.