Spurs vs Saints: Build Up Thread

SNSUN

The thing with spurs is that if you dominate the midfield then lennon and bale will drop deep searching for the ball so they will be in less dangerous areas of the pitch. I wouldnt break up cork/morgan partnership as that is a proven formula on the whole. Bale has played on both wings and through middle this season so we need to have fullbacks with pace imo. So if that means bringing in taggett then so be it (dont know if he is quick). No way will Richardson play. He has even appeared on training gallery pics in recent weeks.

i would go with the following

--------------Boruc-------------------

Clyne Yoshida Fonte Taggett

--------Morgan Cork -------------

---Puncheon Lallana JRod----

---------------Lambert-----------------

Davis played ok against WBA but time to bring in Puncheon as he pairs up well Clyne plus the goals have dried up of late.

If Forren isn't fit enough to play in the PL what does that say about Targett, really we need to get over the idea that established players can be replaced by anyone from the youth squads. If Targett was good enough as of yet we'd have seen him by now. Do you think MP wanted to play Fox ? If Shaw isn't fit it's either Forren or a Clyne/Cork switch, there aren't any other solutions really and certainly not in the youth teams. Like the look of Seager though.

re Davis...here's a thought why don't we play Davis and Punch and give the ineffective Lambert a rest? Draw would be a good result and JRod is far more dangerous running at Spurs defence than Lambert will be.

Edited by Window Cleaner

We're going to get hammered unfortunately, but fortunately as fans we're going to get hammered so it should be a good day out. Plus White Hart Lane is one of my favourite london grounds (well except for the hairy fu.cking walk up the seven sisters)

Murmured Reeves back from Southend to play sat.

Well there's no reason why he wouldn't be back, Southend's season is over so the loan spell is over as well. There is nothing odd about that. Would have been different if they had made the play-offs. I guess all our L1/L2 loanees are back now, I can't think of any involved in play-offs, except Ryan Dickson at Bradford if he is not injured. Seaborne, Barnard, Forecast, Reeves, Martin & Hoskins. Come to think of it perhaps Seaborne could play if Luke is not ready.

Jonno Quick still at Sheff Utd.

Edited by VectisSaint
Forgot Jonno Quick

Reeves is more likely to start than Targett but is he more likely to start than Forren? I don't know.

I'd like to see punch brought back in and I'd play Davis in the middle of the '3', jrod on the left, lambert up front. Lallana on the bench. We can always take lambert off and switch to jrod up front and Lallana on the left.

A draw would be a terrific result.

@talkSAINTS: Luke Shaw will be fit for Saturday, massive relief. #Saintsfc

Not sure if true, or where they've got it from, I'm just bringing this to the forum's attention!

The chap that runs that Twitter account got a load of stick the last time he announced Shaw was returning from injury ahead of people's expectations, but it turned out he was right. So, not one to dismiss out of hand.

Maybe the club are feeding the media stories that he's out for the season to wrong foot Spurs? There again, maybe not...

We have been brought back to earth with an almighty bump.

Team will have had the stuffing knocked out of them. I am afraid we are going to get a right old spanking. Spurs 6 Saints 0.

Sleepwalking to relegation and relying on Villa and Wigan to screw up.

Dalek I think your processor has gone wonky and needs a re boot from Davros!

Even were we for one minute, to accept your rather warped logic we will surely still finish above Newcastle who on the same basis as you claim for Saints will not pick up any further points having been walloped by 3 and 6 at home in their last two games.

Your logic also comes unstuck to as given Saints will lose by 6 at Spuds according to you and Sunderland lost by 6 at Villa what will the demorilised derby game of Sunderland Saints result in given they both can't lose?

And their was silly me thinking Daleks were logical machines!

I can see us getting a hammering from Spurs, especially if Spurs play like they can and Hooiveld plays.

What about if Saints play like they did at Old Trafford, Etihad or Stamford Bridge?

2 defeats and a draw?

Were they "hammerings"? Which is the point I was responding to before you took my post out of context? No, they weren't, they were all very good performances and were close games against the top sides in this league away from home.

Doesn't help not having Ramirez and no left back - and also Lallana and Lambert out of form, a defence which has just been owned by WBA, and Puncheon seemingly frozen out?

I'm normally quite positive, and I really hope we can go there and get something - but I just feel that their pace will be too much for us, and we will get torn to bits - especially if we have to take Cork out of the midfield and play him RB.

Doesn't help not having Ramirez and no left back - and also Lallana and Lambert out of form, a defence which has just been owned by WBA, and Puncheon seemingly frozen out?

I'm normally quite positive, and I really hope we can go there and get something - but I just feel that their pace will be too much for us, and we will get torn to bits - especially if we have to take Cork out of the midfield and play him RB.

Hope it spurs some of the players to go out and prove a point. Puncheon has shown before he hates sitting on the bench so hopefully he'l have a good game and give Mauricio something to think about! But, frankly, i'd still love a point from this one ;)

Were they "hammerings"? Which is the point I was responding to before you took my post out of context? No, they weren't, they were all very good performances and were close games against the top sides in this league away from home.

Jeez, the man's allowed to predict a tough beating. Spurs are far more desperate for the win than City, United or Chelsea were when we played them away. And Spurs have higher quality players than West Brom, who hammered us at home.

Hope it spurs some of the players to go out and prove a point. Puncheon has shown before he hates sitting on the bench so hopefully he'l have a good game and give Mauricio something to think about! But, frankly, i'd still love a point from this one ;)

Just hope he can get in the team. No doubt we'll start with J-Rod, Davis and Lallana again. Puncheon deserves a chance, especially when Lallana has been so awful.

I hope Shaw is back fit, otherwise we are stuck either giving an untested academy player a debut, switching Clyne and playing Richardson or playing Cork/Yoshida out of position. Also I would give Puncheon a start, Lallana has been awful recently.

Boruc

Clyne

Yoshida

Fonte

Richardson

Cork

Morgan

Puncheon

Davis

Rodriguez

Lambert

Subs: Davis, Forren, Mayuka, Lallana, Hooiveld, JWP, Targett

I hope Shaw is back fit, otherwise we are stuck either giving an untested academy player a debut, switching Clyne and playing Richardson or playing Cork/Yoshida out of position. Also I would give Puncheon a start, Lallana has been awful recently.

Boruc

Clyne

Yoshida

Fonte

Richardson

Cork

Morgan

Puncheon

Davis

Rodriguez

Lambert

Subs: Davis, Forren, Mayuka, Lallana, Hooiveld, JWP, Targett

Agree, with Clyne at lb and Richardson at rb

There's nothing out of the ordinary there, since Southend's season is over now

...which presumably means that he doesn't have to be recalled anyway? I imagine he'll feature at the weekend but probably on the bench.

Edited by DuncanRG

I forgot to say after the West Brom game that the bloke who handed back his season ticket over parking prices at SMS was sat one row below me at the game. Obviously the lure of Premier League football has outweighed his fury at the parking prices...

I think we can hope for a sneaky point here, obviously depending on what kind of personnel we have at our disposal on Saturday. Assuming Shaw is fit to start, I would go with...

---------------BORUC--------------

CLYNE----FONTE----MAYA----SHAW

--------MORGAN----CORK----------

LALLANA-------DAVIS-------JAYROD

--------------LAMBERT-------------

Subs: K.Davis, Reeves, Hooiveld, JWP, Puncheon, Guly, Mayuka

Jose to come back in for Jos because he reads the game much better, and their forwards are excellent at finding space in dangerous areas. Mayuka to come on and have an impact similar to the one in the home game! Think he'll improve with time on the pitch, has looked handy when coming off the bench recently.

I was pretty convinced we were going to be slaughtered on Saturday until this evening. Spurs have just played a marathon game in Milan. IF MP can re-inspire and motivate our out of sorts team to play as we know they can - at pace, accurate snappy passing - closing down and with Lambert in command on the pitch as captain, we might MIGHT get a result after all.

I was pretty convinced we were going to be slaughtered on Saturday until this evening. Spurs have just played a marathon game in Milan. IF MP can re-inspire and motivate our out of sorts team to play as we know they can - at pace, accurate snappy passing - closing down and with Lambert in command on the pitch as captain, we might MIGHT get a result after all.

What game and when was this then?

Unless he is bothered about the weather conditions for other people training, on Tuesday Luke Shaw tweeted...

Luke Shaw ‏@Luke_shaw3 30 Apr

Beautiful day for training ☀☀

so much confusion, some say he's fit, others say he's out for the season, something not at all kosher with his situation.

never was an option anyway; Shaw may be out for the season so it will either be Forren or a Clyne/Cork switchover.

Richardson isn't a PL player.

Richardson may not be a PL level player, but the side is much weaker when Cork is not playing at CM IMO.

Hopefully Shaw will recover and this whole dilemma can be avoided.

Unless he is bothered about the weather conditions for other people training, on Tuesday Luke Shaw tweeted...

Luke Shaw ‏@Luke_shaw3 30 Apr

Beautiful day for training ☀☀

Could easily be gutted that he's not out there training and watching. Think Chaplow tweeted something similar the other day.

"Richard chaplow ‏@Rchap04 23 Apr

Fiiiiinally a bit of sunshine to enjoy!!

Wish I could join in #bored pic.twitter.com/hBH98iasXj"

so much confusion, some say he's fit, others say he's out for the season, something not at all kosher with his situation.

Not really. Just no specifics have been given leaving many people drawing false/conflicting conclusions.