Spurs vs Saints: Build Up Thread

SNSUN

Shaw is out. Won't be back until Sunderland at the earliest but I suspect won't be back this season unless we get dragged back into the relegation battle. Time to see what we've got in Targett.

Boruc

Clyne Fonte Yoshida Targett

Cork Schneiderlin

Lallana Davis Rodriguez

Lambert

Subs: Davis, Forren, Hooiveld, JWP, Guly, Mayuka, Puncheon

Shaw is out. Won't be back until Sunderland at the earliest but I suspect won't be back this season unless we get dragged back into the relegation battle. Time to see what we've got in Targett.

Boruc

Clyne Fonte Yoshida Targett

Cork Schneiderlin

Lallana Davis Rodriguez

Lambert

Subs: Davis, Forren, Hooiveld, JWP, Guly, Mayuka, Puncheon

I would expect Clyne to switch sides and Richardson to come in.

@SouthamptonFC: Our Under-21s play their penultimate #BU21PL Elite Group game today as we host @SpursOfficial behind closed doors at 2.30pm. #saintsfcu21

Any ideas why it's a "behind closed doors" game....? Mystery trialist...?

Edited by trousers

@SouthamptonFC: Our Under-21s play their penultimate #BU21PL Elite Group game today as we host @SpursOfficial behind closed doors at 2.30pm. #saintsfcu21

Any ideas why it's a "behind closed doors" game....? Mystery trialist...?

All games at Staplewood are behind closed doors.

Ah, cool - didn't realise. They usually say "U21s....blah blah....at Staplewood" when they play there. First time they've referred to it explicitly as "behind closed doors" IIRC.

Oh well, it's not as if Messi would be able to get away from Barcelona for the game this week anyway...

Although I have no issue with Cork playing at RB as he was MOTM when he played there v Arsenal, I think having two players in a starting 11 playing out of their favoured position is a recipe for disaster in anyone's book, particularly when they're your two fullbacks and playing against the likes of Lennon and Bale. I say keep Clyne at RB and if Shaw isn't fit, then give Forren or even Matt Targett a chance:

Boruc

Clyne - Fonte - Yoshida - Forren

Schneiderlin - Cork

Davis - Lallana - Rodriguez

Lambert

Pretty confident we'll get something from this, 1-1.

A Spurs supporting mate informed me yesterday that they will not beat us if they play as they did at Wigan. This was after me telling him they'd pulverise us if we repeated the WBA performance.

Got a strange feeling we'll get something out of this. Had similar feelings against City, Liverpool and Chelsea. Spurs don't have a direct style, they'll look to play it out from the back which should suit us. They are under big pressure atm and they know that any dropped points will see their CL hopes go up in smoke once and for all. And I think our players will have a fire cracker up they're arses this week in training, as Poch seemed fuming after the game Saturday.

We could easily get tonked, but I'm going Spurs 1–2 Saints. If Fulham and Wigan can go there and do a job on them, then why can't we?

Assuming Shaw is out...

Boruc

Richardson - Fonte - Yoshida - Clyne

Cork - Schneiderlin

Puncheon - S.Davis - Mayuka

Rodriguez

Subs: Davis, Forren, Lallana, JWP, Lambert, Hooiveld*, Targett *

* or any defender from U21s with pace

we aren't going to suddenly recall Richardson, either Clyne will move over and Cork or Maya will go to right back or Forren will start at LB. Richardson is history.

Three more performances like Saturday and we can all look forward to getting the slide rules out in the last 5 minutes of the final day. This game might end badly even if we play well. We won't be 150/1 for relegation after this one.....

I think villas two games and wigans trip to Norwich will have far more bearing on the odds come Saturday evening than how we do.

Imagine thats only until the rebuilding is complete. For the u21s there is a stipulation that a certain number of games are played in proper grounds with access to the public, hence why we have been playing these games at Eastleigh and in one case at least at St Marys. Presumably we have fulfilled the quota and so could revert to Staplewood for this one. Some plans for the u21s being mooted earlier in the season and still being pulled together are for games to be played at the main stadia after the PL game as a double header, whether that will ever happen I have my doubts, too many possible technical issues with pitches cutting up and so on. We shall see.

We don't need to beat Spurs. A draw is all we need for survival. Sunderland will be a difficult away match and we don't want to leave it until the last match against Stoke who are the sort of tough nuts that we do badly against. So to play for a draw against Spurs, who's tails are up and desperate for a top four place, would be ideal. With Bale and an inform Defoe playing there are going to be goals in the game. The important thing is not to concede too many and hope Jay and Lambo are in form. Our goal difference might be crucial at the end of season.

What concerns me is that our gungho front pressing style might be taking its toll on the energy of the players. They looked knackered against the baggies. So keep it tight at the back fellers and aim for scoring on the break.

I repeat, we must not leave our keeper exposed as we did on Saturday. That would undo all the good work of the last few weeks.

we aren't going to suddenly recall Richardson, either Clyne will move over and Cork or Maya will go to right back or Forren will start at LB. Richardson is history.

What's wrong with Richardson? Honestly dont get this, havent seen have any mares, has enough pace to get up and down the flanks ... he's no clyne but could certainly do a job rather then shifting cork out of the midfield where he's been key or putting yoshida on the flanks where he's been useless.

What's wrong with Richardson? Honestly dont get this, havent seen have any mares, has enough pace to get up and down the flanks ... he's no clyne but could certainly do a job rather then shifting cork out of the midfield where he's been key or putting yoshida on the flanks where he's been useless.

Would agree with that. He was one of our highest assisters last year, think he got 17 or 18 assists? may be slightly OTT with that, but it wasn't too far from that.

Never really had many bad games for us, isn't anything special but is reliable, professional and would do a job if called upon between now and then. People forget that we had the likes of Telfer, Makin, Neileson at one point as our RB options. Let's think ourselves lucky we have a proper RB there!

Would agree with that. He was one of our highest assisters last year, think he got 17 or 18 assists? may be slightly OTT with that, but it wasn't too far from that.

Never really had many bad games for us, isn't anything special but is reliable, professional and would do a job if called upon between now and then. People forget that we had the likes of Telfer, Makin, Neileson at one point as our RB options. Let's think ourselves lucky we have a proper RB there!

Spot on. Was a very good player last term and I dont see that he suddenly couldn't do a job for us even with conceding Clyne looks the better player at such a young age!

About half that!

Richardson had between 8 and 10 assists last season depending on what source you want to use.

He is out of contract in the summer, I think he is very likely to be released and Saints have used Yoshida and Cork ahead of him at full back. I think he is a good Championship right back and thats where he'll end up in the summer.

We don't need to beat Spurs. A draw is all we need for survival. Sunderland will be a difficult away match and we don't want to leave it until the last match against Stoke who are the sort of tough nuts that we do badly against. So to play for a draw against Spurs, who's tails are up and desperate for a top four place, would be ideal.

I've been pondering this myself this evening... wondering whether MP might be toying with the notion of dropping our 'natural' hi-tempo attacking game and try and play for the draw instead, maybe with 3 central defenders and 2 'wing backs'.... especially with both 1st team squad left-backs out....

Maybe something like this:

------------------------------- Boruc -------------------------------------

--------------- Fonte --------- Forren ---------- Yoshida ------------------

Clyne ------------------------------------------------------------- Targett

------------------------ Cork -------- Schneiderlin -------------------------

------------ Puncheon -------------------------------- Lallana -------------

------------------------------ Lambert ------------------------------------

Subs: Davis, Davis, JWP, Mayuka, Hooiveld, Puncheon, Rodriguez

I know its highly unlikely that MP would go for such a major strategic change and that we're more likely to see the usual "plan A" but I can't help feeling that something different might just get us the point we need at WHL.

He was abysmal at Goodison. Was that the last time he played for us?!

I'd rather have Yoshi there than Richardson and Yoshi hasn't been great there. Problem is we don't have any full back back ups. Richardson and Fox and both average NPC standard.

About half that!

Richardson had between 8 and 10 assists last season depending on what source you want to use.

He is out of contract in the summer, I think he is very likely to be released and Saints have used Yoshida and Cork ahead of him at full back. I think he is a good Championship right back and thats where he'll end up in the summer.

I've got it as twelve but either way double figures is decent for a rb! Not sure why you think he couldn't play against spurs. Is he likely to command a starting spot in a prem side, maybe not, but surely he's a better option then Yoshida, who has had some terrible displays out of position, and Cork who has been vital to the way we play alongside morgan in midfield?

My Saints XI:

------------------ Boruc -----------------

Yoshida ---- Fonte ---- Forren ---- Clyne

------- Schneiderlin ----- Cork ----------

Puncheon ----- Lallana ----- Rodriguez

---------------- Lambert -----------------

Subs: K. Davis, Richardson, Hooiveld, Ward-Prowse, S. Davis, Guly, Mayuka.

Much more likely that Hooiveld will retain his place in the starting XI alongside Fonte. Failing that, Cork could move to right-back with S. Davis coming in to partner Schneiderlin. Puncheon deserves a recall having been unfortunate to miss out in recent weeks, whilst Lallana can pull the strings from a more central position - getting him on the ball could be key to our chances. Losing Fox and Ramirez limits our options from the bench, but still enough about us to give Spurs a run for their money and right the wrongs from West Brom defeat.

My Saints XI:

------------------ Boruc -----------------

Yoshida ---- Fonte ---- Forren ---- Clyne

------- Schneiderlin ----- Cork ----------

Puncheon ----- Lallana ----- Rodriguez

---------------- Lambert -----------------

Subs: K. Davis, Richardson, Hooiveld, Ward-Prowse, S. Davis, Guly, Mayuka.

Much more likely that Hooiveld will retain his place in the starting XI alongside Fonte. Failing that, Cork could move to right-back with S. Davis coming in to partner Schneiderlin. Puncheon deserves a recall having been unfortunate to miss out in recent weeks, whilst Lallana can pull the strings from a more central position - getting him on the ball could be key to our chances. Losing Fox and Ramirez limits our options from the bench, but still enough about us to give Spurs a run for their money and right the wrongs from West Brom defeat.

Why wouldn't you leave our best fullback in his natural position? With Bale tearing down the left, surely we want our right handside to be as strong as possible?

don't think we will mess around much with the midfield..Cork, Schneiderlin & Davis. Up front will be Rodriguez. I think Fonte will be in for Hooiveld, Yoshida will stay put as will Clyne. We'd miss Lambert but something hasn't been right with him for the past 2/3 games and maybe he might only make the bench. Along with Boruc, that's 8 of the 11 sorted. I have a feeling Forren will come in for this (he didn't play in the U21 game last night - can't think of any other reason why he would have missed it). with either him or Yoshida at LB. I think Puncheon will be back, and with Gaston out I think it's fair to say Lallana will be in, even if he was fairly ineffective on Saturday. Pretty much down to the bare bones though, aren't we!

Now that we're out of the Euro fair play championship i'd have someone on the pitch with the sole purpose of injuring Bale in the first 5 mins. If we have to play 85 mins with 10 men then so be it.

who says we're out of contention for the fair-play league. Red cards aren't the end of the world.

Now that we're out of the Euro fair play championship i'd have someone on the pitch with the sole purpose of injuring Bale in the first 5 mins. If we have to play 85 mins with 10 men then so be it.

Sounds like a job for Guly to me... ;)

we might even start Guly, who knows ;)

Spurs looked a bit sh@gged out to me against Wigan and they'll be getting edgy about their CL chances which basically come down to beating Chelsea anyway. A pair of fresh legs might be handy against them.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Why wouldn't you leave our best fullback in his natural position? With Bale tearing down the left, surely we want our right handside to be as strong as possible?

Bale has changed his game and plays more down the middle these days. Of course he may switch again if he senses we have a weakness, but we have to deal with Lennon as well. Must keep Yoshi in the centre, and not make mistake of sacrificing him to LB again. Maybe best best assuming MP won't play Richardson at LB, is Cork to RB and Clyne to LB where he is just as good as at LB. We do have a definite problem against Spuds, their pace will punish us, but then most teams have the same problem. Anyone who thinks Spuds will have an eye on Chelski only should dream on, not much good thinking about Chelski if they don't get 3 points from us. Can't see anything but a Spuds win this weekend, and probably by 3 or 4.

Let's be honest, we're really going to struggle and it's a bit damaged limitation in my opinion.

nope can't see that, we have our chances. Spurs are fading fast...clapped out no doubt. Dembelé might be out, he's quite influential for them I think, Holtby doesn't have the pace of the PL yet and I don't know what the status of Sigurdsson is just now. .

The thing with spurs is that if you dominate the midfield then lennon and bale will drop deep searching for the ball so they will be in less dangerous areas of the pitch. I wouldnt break up cork/morgan partnership as that is a proven formula on the whole. Bale has played on both wings and through middle this season so we need to have fullbacks with pace imo. So if that means bringing in taggett then so be it (dont know if he is quick). No way will Richardson play. He has even appeared on training gallery pics in recent weeks.

i would go with the following

--------------Boruc-------------------

Clyne Yoshida Fonte Taggett

--------Morgan Cork -------------

---Puncheon Lallana JRod----

---------------Lambert-----------------

Davis played ok against WBA but time to bring in Puncheon as he pairs up well Clyne plus the goals have dried up of late.