Pain in the arse wireless router

Wurzel

My wireless is rapidly becoming a pain in the arse. At random intervals it will lose access to the internet. Laptops mobiles etc will still show as connected to the network and things like mobile apps will still work but any internet related access simply stops loading. A quick pull out and push in again of the power lead solves it every time. Any ideas a)why and b) how to stop it.?

Does the router have status lights for the line/broadband connection, as well as wireless? Does one/all of them drop out when it happens? Sounds like the broadband line connection keeps dropping out to me. Used to happen to me on my old BE router, wasn't certain if it was the router or the line, but if you've got the admin credentials for the router, log in and see if it has logs you can look at. If no logs, there will at least be a page for the connection stats, which shows connection time...

How old is the router? Any other problems with it? Any new equipment on the telephone lines recently?

Your broadband provider should be able to help if you're not sure (assuming they supplied it).

Used to happen to me too, it's never the router itself, always some config somewhere, even if you haven't actually changed anything. Check you don't have a powersave option on the laptop or router that drops the wireless after a certain amount of time. Sometimes it can be the wireless service itself is set to disconnect and you lose the signal for as long as it takes to reconnect.

I've had a couple of routers that started doing this in different locations and when I moved house and had to set them up again they worked fine.

Your router does two jobs simultaneously

1) it connects to the Internet via a modem

2) it creates a local network

If your devices remain connected to the local network, but nothing can access the Internet, then clearly 2 is working but 1 is not, so it's not your 'wireless'.

Chances are its either a line fault, or you need to upgrade the firmware on or replace the router. You need to speak to your ISP. Prepare for the runaround.

I've had the same issue. Turned out that too many of neighbours had routers using the same channel. If you connect to your router and change the channel (it can be anything from 1 to 12) it will go away.

For me there were too many sky routers within range snd sky tend to use 6 by default. Changed it to 3 and never had a problem since.