Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

Not a great chance of us competing with those clubs really is there?

might be good for us, I expect Wanyama to be a total flop. Anyway Arsenal are always linked with so many players it's hard to follow. Seems Wenger went for Morgan...knocked back,then Gonalons...didn't fancy the 24 million euros price tag and now Wanyama so if you've got a pair of boots do not despair, you might be next on the Arse's DM list.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Because, as you've all said, he's improved since then. But not enough to be a first team regular for a top half Premier League side - which is what Saints are looking for.

And how do you know he hasn't improved enough for a top-level side?

Shevchenko only scored 4 for a title-winning Chelsea in his first season.

How do you know how good he really is?

Edited by Crab Lungs

right, so i've decided we should Sign: Danny Rose, Tom Ince, Loic Remy, Victor Wanyama and Davide Astori

Thoughts???

As unlikely as it would be to get all of those, that would be incredible summer.

I note that he has been loosely mentioned before on this thread but a mate at work (Liverpool fan) suggested that on various Liverpool sites Saints are monitoring Erik Lamela.

Don't know a lot about him other than what Wiki and YouTube can offer but he seems like a real prospect.

Did anyone else notice that over the last few games we went to something similar to a 3-5-2? Clyne and Shaw pressed right up and Cork was virtually a 3rd CB at times. Jay Rod virtually partnered Lambert up top. This article says this guy is comfortable as a wingback in a 3-5-2 similar to what Gamez is like I think. Is a change of system on the cards?

Article also says Cagliari are waiting for another call from Saints for Astori "that has not yet arrived but that certainly will come."

Edited by itchen_dan

Did anyone else notice that over the last few games we went to something similar to a 3-5-2? Clyne and Shaw pressed right up and Cork was virtually a 3rd CB at times. Jay Rod virtually partnered Lambert up top. This article says this guy is comfortable as a wingback in a 3-5-2 similar to what Gamez is like I think. Is a change of system on the cards?

Article also says Cagliari are waiting for another call from Saints for Astori "that has not yet arrived but that certainly will come."

Do we really need a change in full backs to play that system though?

I read an article about Guardiola's challenge with Bayern next season and it talked about how he needed to find a way to use a defensive midfielder as a third centreback when defending. The idea being to free the fullbacks of significant defensive duties, except when under real pressure. Perhaps MP will look at a system for us which allows us to switch between 4-4-2 and 3-5-2 more smoothly so that we have an alternative way of playing when required.

I think he means those fullbacks, Gamez and this Italian guy, might be comfortable playing as a third CB as well as a wing back/full back.

Yeah sorry, didn't make it too clear. As we know, Clyne and Shaw are very comfortable in defence and attack but Gamez seems to be a no nonsense defender that is primarily a full back or but can potentially switch to one of the 3 CB's and Clyne could then be utilised at wing back. Seems interesting being linked with Astori + other CB's etc when we have Yoshida, Forren, Fonte & Hooiveld already here with space for only 2 CB's in the current system.

one of the biggest challenges we face in this window is we dont have any long term injured players which the mboard can describe as being just like having a new signing when they are fit.

And it didn't feel that way when Jack Cork came back?

No. It felt like we had a decent player returning from injury. Which is what it was and which we always knew he would.

...I don't think anyone was suggesting fans around Southampton were saying "OH Jack Corks back! Its basically a new signing!!!". Just saying that the impact of his return was similar to a new signing as we'd lacked a player of his quality in that position for some time.

I think it's called 'Wengeritis' Turks and results in no new players being bought, particularly in midfield when really needed. Abou Diaby is normally that player.

reckon they might let diaby go now they've got wilshere fulfilling same role