What Are You Watching..?

Robsk II

Past couple of nights I've been watching a thing from the 70s called When The Boat Comes In, with James Bolam. Set on Tyneside (as you can imagine) in the 20s and 30s. Never heard of it before and stumbled on it by accident but it's bloody good; like all those BBC 70s dramas (I Claudius) the sets look like something out of Playskool but the script and acting are top notch.

I wish we still made stuff like this in Britain, unfortunately you have to look to the good American stuff to watch quality TV like this. Shame.

I used to loathe this with a passion when it was originally transmitted. I feel I did it a disservice back then. I knew full well it was good drama, but it was so bloody depressing in its old values and northern hardship. Peculiarly, I'd probably like it now, like so many of the excellent BBC dramas made back then. I can still remember the theme...

Come here me little Jacky,

now ah've smoked me baccy,

hev a bit of cracky,

till the boat comes in.

Dance to thy Daddy,

sing to thy Mammy,

dance to thy Daddy,

to thy Mammy sing.

Thou shalt have a fishy on a little dishy,

Thou shalt have a fishy

when the boat comes in.

In truth it carried on for several verses, naming various fish, until... thou shalt have a salmon... :)

Edited by St Landrew

I can heartily recommend 'Tank Overhaul' as an interesting cure for anyone suffering from withdraw symptoms after C4's egregious decision to cancelled the much missed and rather wonderful 'Salvage Squad' . There's something inexplicably fascinating to my mind about tales of restoring rusty old machines back to their former glory .

I loved that first time around - which channel is showing it?

In the same vein, Our Friends in the North was good too.

More recently, The Street was a superb drama series, produced by the BBC (I think).

"Yesterday", Sky Channel 537/538. Can remember Our Friends in the North but never seen it, I'm sure it's knocking around on some UKGold-esque channel.

St. Landrew - Ta, could only make out around half the song :)

The heavy Northumbrian/Newcastle accent, I suppose. ;)

Tonight, I've been watching a pretty good Horizon programme on the iPlayer, about Infinity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00qszch/Horizon_20092010_To_Infinity_and_Beyond/

First of all, let me say that I'm lousy at Mathematics, although I'm pretty much OK with Arithmetic. Anything with mathematical variables, and I go from slightly uncomfortable to totally unhinged. However, I've always liked the Infinity concept.

I remember my Maths teacher at Junior/Middle School asking me how big I thought the Universe was [this was in front of the class, the sh!t]. He expected me to say something like millions and billions of miles, but I didn't. I'd thought about the question before, and so straight away I said something like, Sir, I think the universe is the size of where mankind's understanding of it ends. And it bloody well floored him, because he didn't have a better answer. I was already prepared for the finite universe answer, if he gave it, because I could say, well what's on the other side of that boundary..? Actually, that's a slightly flawed comeback, because you can keep going infinitely around the Earth, yet it is finite. At some point you come back to where you started, but set off again. You could say the same about the Universe, but I don't think it's that way myself.

The programme talked initially about the Infinity concept, and you could see several of the talking head mathematicians squirming in their chairs as they didn't like [one couldn't even accept] Infinity as a number, because it doesn't behave itself, as a number should. For example:

∞ + 1 = ∞ or;

∞ + 51, 342, 071 = ∞ [it doesn't matter how big the fixed number] therefore:

∞ + ∞ = ∞ but;

∞ - 1 = ∞ - 1 or

∞ - 51,342,071 = ∞ - 51,342,071

∞ - ∞ = 0 [zero]

Then, after pussy footing around the subject, they came to the biggie. How big is the Universe..? Most said Infinite, which was really brilliant to hear, as I have been thinking that way for many years, practically ever since those school days, and I thought they'd duck the answer. One or two even said pretty much what I said to my Maths teacher, all those years ago.

Then, horror or horrors, they even nudged at the concept of Big Bang not being the start of all things [well not this time around anyway]. In fact, they sort of said that the last Big Bang was one of Infinite Big Bangs. This was excellent. I thought of all the mates I've spoken to over a pint in a pub on this subject [at least 3 or 4] who laughed in my face. The Mathematician who gave me a condescending look when I suggested it, but then went slightly grey when I suggested he then disprove it to anyone's satisfaction [there were about 15 students in the room]. He did have a go and failed. I've always been intrigued by that little flaw in the Big Bang which says something about the energy and matter for the Big Bang formed from the coalescing of gases. As the Big Bang has been given as the Start Of Time, this coalescing was before Time. Now, with that kind of squirming, anyone can handle Infinity any day, and you don't need two heads to do it. The trouble with Science and Maths, is they like to have a Beginning and an End, because it's neater.

So what is Infinity..? As a number, it is the only one capable of having more added to it, and being exactly the same afterwards. As the Universe, it is a space or area without boundaries, and perhaps without time. Time may go tick-tock, but it doesn't mean anything. Infinity means that that there are infinite copies of ourselves on infinite identical planets, or indeed some that are slightly different, or infinitely different. There are even infinite copies of me writing this, with the infinite Saints going to infinite Wembleys. Which means that we are every bit as successful as the most successful football clubs.

I like that. ;)

I was slightly annoyed that the programme on infinity was finitely long. It didn't really live up to the name, though was less disappointing than 'The Never-Ending Story'.

(I haven't watched it yet, but did they talk about Cantor and the continuum hypothesis? Zeno's paradoxes perhaps? I hope so, if not, bah disappointing much?)

I have to say, I don't really like the presenter, I'd have preferred Marcus Du Sautoy to have presented it. Also, this is moving at far too slow a pace and the points are being repeated with many superfluous examples. If anything, infinity is being portrayed as far more 'elusive' than it can be in practise, there's no mention of set theory and the work of Cantor upon rationalising and 'using' infinity. Annoying. Oh God, the mathematician claiming infinite mathematics is meaningless; come on, don't be so ****ing stupid, look at calculus and the use of infinitesimals, you utter douchebag.

Mentioned:

There can be no 'biggest' number

Cardinalities of even numbers and natural numbers are the same (due to bijection)

Hilbert's 'hotel' paradox

Edited by Ludwig

Presenter was Steven Berkoff. He of the hair-trigger temper and slightly avant-garde actor style. Best known for being the really nasty gang leader in Beverley Hills Cop. :)

Saw him in a West End production of Oscar Wilde's Salome, about 12 years back, which he produced and directed. It was awful, IMO. Which was a shame.

You're right about the explanations. And they did wander around the subject without actually getting there, too. I put it down to the programme makers thinking it was a terrifically difficult concept for people to grasp, when it wasn't actually. Of course, scientists would bloody hate it, especially when one of the Maths guys basically said why not infinite universes [all without any proof]..?

I was slightly annoyed that the programme on infinity was finitely long. It didn't really live up to the name, though was less disappointing than 'The Never-Ending Story'.

(I haven't watched it yet, but did they talk about Cantor and the continuum hypothesis? Zeno's paradoxes perhaps? I hope so, if not, bah disappointing much?)

I have to say, I don't really like the presenter, I'd have preferred Marcus Du Sautoy to have presented it. Also, this is moving at far too slow a pace and the points are being repeated with many superfluous examples. If anything, infinity is being portrayed as far more 'elusive' than it can be in practise, there's no mention of set theory and the work of Cantor upon rationalising and 'using' infinity. Annoying. Oh God, the mathematician claiming infinite mathematics is meaningless; come on, don't be so ****ing stupid, look at calculus and the use of infinitesimals, you utter douchebag.

Mentioned:

There can be no 'biggest' number

Cardinalities of even numbers and natural numbers are the same (due to bijection)

Hilbert's 'hotel' paradox

Exactly what I was going to post.Instead I watched The Cleveland Show which I sky+ last night.

"Yesterday", Sky Channel 537/538. Can remember Our Friends in the North but never seen it, I'm sure it's knocking around on some UKGold-esque channel.

Have another go at the full version -

Some of the lyrics Alex Glasgow sings might as well be in Greek, as I would have understood them equally as well, i.e. no idea, it was all Greek to me..! :)

EDIT: Just checked, there's the first episode on Youtube.

Edited by St Landrew

• 2 weeks later...

Being Human - end of the 2nd series. I've really enjoyed this series. Strangely it's still billed as a 'comedy/drama' but this series has got darker and darker and left us hanging for the 3rd, which isn't going to be until 2011 - boooo!

I used to like going up to Bristol, but now I'm too frightened!

Being Human - end of the 2nd series. I've really enjoyed this series. Strangely it's still billed as a 'comedy/drama' but this series has got darker and darker and left us hanging for the 3rd, which isn't going to be until 2011 - boooo!

Waiting for this to hit Beeb America. First series was good stuff.

I've been watching Tower Block of Commons on 4OD. It was fascinating to see how these MPs cope with living on deprived estates for a week. Mark Oaten, the Lib Dem MP really impressed me, he seemed to really take notice of the real problems that were on the estate, rather than the Austin bloke from Labour, who just seemed to laugh at everything that was going on. Maybe if a few more big players had got involved then some real changes would happen, as the state of some of the flats were just appalling.

Flicked through the channels and noticed Bo Selecta on 4Music. I'd forgotten how funny it was.

Michael Jackson spoof - shamone mutha f**ka.

You can be a hero but you can't disguise your massive mooolllllle

and Crrraaiiiiig David - Proper Bo himself.

Edited by St Landrew

Just caught up with the last episode of this series. Brilliant! Can`t wait for series 3. Despite the fact that it is built on a ridiculous premise (a ghost, a werewolf and a vampire living together) it is a quality piece of television.

Flicked through the channels and noticed Bo Selecta on 4Music. I'd forgotten how funny it was.

Michael Jackson spoof - shamone mutha f**ka.

You can be a hero but you can't disguise your massive mooolllllle

and Crrraaiiiiig David - Proper Bo himself.

I've watched a few episodes recently on 4music myself. The Michael Jackson scenes are fantastic but the rest of it really hasn't aged well.

The Avid and the bear scenes are dross.

I've watched a few episodes recently on 4music myself. The Michael Jackson scenes are fantastic but the rest of it really hasn't aged well.

The Avid and the bear scenes are dross.

Well, they were never the funniest bits anyway. Forgot to mention the David Blaine spoof. Very good.

Watched Horizon: Is Everything We Know About The Universe Wrong?, yesterday evening [Tuesday]. I know I'm not remotely qualified to express an opinion on cosmology, because I just don't have the mathematics but...

...to see the scientists twist and turn, when the Big Bang Universe doesn't conform to the old model just makes me chuckle. Like others, with fine, everyday arithmetic, but no genius level numbers, I can easily follow the concepts, but don't start writing those algebriac variables on the blackboard, because I'll foam at the mouth. So even though I'm not remotely qualified, I'll give it a go.

I can see the astronomers desperately trying to keep BB on-track, and on-track it stays, a lot of the time. But when it doesn't they invent Dark Matter, which apparently makes up at least two-thirds of the [known] Universe. OK, the data, and the maths, suggest DM is there, and so they go with it. Actually, more accurately, I believe the maths don't work unless they put it in there. But then they reach another loophole where the data and maths don't fit anymore, and so Dark Energy comes along. The problem is, the expanding universe isn't slowing up, as it should. It's actually accelerating in pockets of space. So here is a way to explain it. DE makes up for 74% of the total mass and energy in the Universe; which includes that previous two-thirds amount of DM.

Finally, along comes Dark Flow. By this time I almost wanted the cosmologist who proposed it, to have suggested a DF without the final W, because Dark Flo sounds like quite a girl. DF consists of data found during a study from 2008 where certain galaxies in a sector of Space were found to be all travelling in the same direction, rather than randomly heading away from the Big Bang. Ultimately, we have mass, movement and direction.

I'm not knocking cosmology, and I'm not knocking scientists. I suppose what I am knocking is the attitude, and maybe the method. There is this firm belief in the scientific world that what is discovered today is the absolute truth. Once, the World was at the centre of the Universe, until Copernicus gathered ancient data and added his own, to postulate that it wasn't. That eventually became the truth then, and today's truth is the truth, for today. I sometimes have this feeling that astronomers and cosmologists are going down that world-in-centre avenue and are patching it up as much as they can. It makes you wonder if it isn't time to take a fresh look. As one of the interviewed said, perhaps we should be looking at it, face value..?

Is everything we know about the Universe wrong? Could be. BTW, not a bad Horizon at all, but I do wish they would stop reiterating what they've already said 5 minutes previously. We got it first time around. We are not from the USA, so once is enough.

Edited by St Landrew

I suppose what I am knocking is the attitude, and maybe the method. There is this firm belief in the scientific world that what is discovered today is the absolute truth.

I think you're wrong with this bit, StL, to be honest. The one defining thing about science is that nothing is taken as fact and that everything is considered inherently wrong. Theories are just that and they are only adopted until something more explanatory is suggested, examined and acknowledged.

Of course, God may just have waved his wand and sorted everything out in a few days.

I think you're wrong with this bit, StL, to be honest. The one defining thing about science is that nothing is taken as fact and that everything is considered inherently wrong. Theories are just that and they are only adopted until something more explanatory is suggested, examined and acknowledged.

Of course, God may just have waved his wand and sorted everything out in a few days.

Yes, I'm aware of scientific method, Ponty. I know that theories only stand up if they can withstand overwhelming knocking. I've done some research myself, so I've been through the scientific method. The problem I have with space science is that it postulates from the pulpit, almost as much as any religion. When really, the truth is, is that they very often don't really know. Interestingly, if you find a medical science book, where you can ask questions on what makes things tick in the body, very quickly, after delving through various layers, you come to the phrase... we don't know. I think that's refreshing [if a little worrying].

If we asked a group of cosmologists to be brutally honest, and tell us what they actually know to be 100% true, I think many people might be surprised by how little is actually 100%, and how much is theory. To listen to them go on sometimes, you'd think everything was mapped out and all we have to do is discover it.

Edited by St Landrew

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love the subject matter, but instead of watching Wonders of the Solar System, which for some reason I can't enjoy [i've watched two of them and I think the presenter Dr Brian Cox, annoys me too much], I watched the new Jonathan Creek episode. It was mildly interesting, but I didn't feel that I'd missed anything from those episodes a few years back [i'd seen none until this one]. Alan Davies plays it very down-to-earth or maybe he can't act, I can't quite decide, and the analytical snuff is a cross between Holmes and Poirot in their more fanciful stories, although this is present day, of course. I got the feeling the show's budget was being stretched a bit though, because although the props and locations weren't cheap, the technicalities of making it were. On one or two occasions, the continuity was bloody awful, for example Paul McGann [yes, an old Dr Who, number 8 or 9] holds a book open, while between spare fingers a bloody great big white coffee mug dangles. Change of shot, book is there, but the mug is gone. When you're dealing with a show where your target viewers are going to be on their toes, observation wise, that's poor..! Mildly interesting, all the same.

I love the subject matter, but instead of watching Wonders of the Solar System, which for some reason I can't enjoy [i've watched two of them and I think the presenter Dr Brian Cox, annoys me too much], I watched the new Jonathan Creek episode. It was mildly interesting, but I didn't feel that I'd missed anything from those episodes a few years back [i'd seen none until this one]. Alan Davies plays it very down-to-earth or maybe he can't act, I can't quite decide, and the analytical snuff is a cross between Holmes and Poirot in their more fanciful stories, although this is present day, of course. I got the feeling the show's budget was being stretched a bit though, because although the props and locations weren't cheap, the technicalities of making it were. On one or two occasions, the continuity was bloody awful, for example Paul McGann [yes, an old Dr Who, number 8 or 9] holds a book open, while between spare fingers a bloody great big white coffee mug dangles. Change of shot, book is there, but the mug is gone. When you're dealing with a show where your target viewers are going to be on their toes, observation wise, that's poor..! Mildly interesting, all the same.

I quite enjoyed it too.

It was very much a Holmes / Watson pastiche.

From Creek's deductions about his partner's current employment habits and financial situation to the dark and sultry Brazilian wife (The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire), there were echoes of Conan Doyle throughout.

All good fun, in spite of the continuity errors that you rightly point out.

Sherlock Holmes & The Case of the Silk Stocking

That Jonathan Creek adventure got me interested in going back to a Holmes adventure [You're right, Block 5] I've had for a few years, on disc, and it was time to drag it out again. I've just finished watching it, in fact.

It was entirely new, at the time, and there are elements in it which Conan Doyle would hardly refer to. An ouvert reference to sexual deviation; a callous side to Holmes, which traditionally, although his character was cold, wasn't uncaring; the general languid nature of this Holmes, and his conversation with women. Traditionally, Holmes didn't talk to women except to question them, and he certainly didn't have any interest in them at all, except one.

Rupert Everett plays this Holmes quite deeply and quietly, and his furrowed brows let us know he's thinking and investigating. Ian Hart plays his Watson [quite well, I thought], and does practically all the leg work, rather than sharing it 50/50, with Holmes.

It's a good story, if you're tempted. A little darker than some of the traditional adventures [but certainly not all], which is helped by an enormous amount of fog everywhere, even for a London Peculiar..!

Eddie Izzard - Circle

Just been watching a few moments of this, and it's a little hit and miss. The bloke has balls though, because although I think he has an agenda, I believe he's just making the detail up as he goes along. He started a story with either Flipper, Skippy or Lassie alerting a person to danger. Then he started one called Sharky. It went like this:

Sharky: Huge wide grin

Concerned Person: What's up, Sharky..?

Concerned person: What..? 3 young boys have fallen out of a boat..?

Concerned person: You've already eaten them..?

Concerned person: You're no f**king use, are you..!

Nick Drake - A Skin Too Few.

It's on BBC4 at present, but obviously it will be on iPlayer later. Very sad story, but the kind of music that was his wasn't going to be made by a happy man. I do love Nick Drake's music. I'm just not sure it's entirely healthy to. ;)

EDIT: Mustn't forget - do try watching the series about 3 scientists who are/were outstanding. It's called Beautiful Minds.

The one just gone is about James Lovelock, of the Gaia Hyposthesis. I remember throughout my Environmental Science degree that JL's theory was there, but it wasn't referred to. I thought it had great merit, but it was frowned upon. Wish I'd listened to my instincts and argued the case. Now he's mainstream.

Edited by St Landrew

• 2 weeks later...

I've been making the most of 4OD at the moment, watching some things that i've meant to watch for a while.

First up is Spaced, Shaun Pegg and Jessica Hyne's late 90s/early 00s brilliant sitcom. When I first clapped eyes on Shaun of the Dead, I fell a bit in love with Shaun Pegg, and naturally anything with him in it is worth a watch for me. Spaced follows the typical boy-meets-girl and oh-look-we're-flatmates formulae, but it manages to make them seem completely genius. The characters are so strong and likeable (or detestable) that you forget they're characters and they actually kind of become your mates for 30 minutes. My favourite character was Northern Irish raver 'Tyres', a bike courier who delivers graphic artwork drawn by Tim (Pegg) and has a very short attention span and seems to constantly be off his t!ts on some kind of narcotic. If you've not seen it yet, I advise that you watch it (both series' are available free of charge on 4OD and YouTube for the sake of a few adverts, or alternatively you can buy DVD boxsets for peanuts), and if you don't like it then i'll conclude that you're obviously some kind of moron/dune and you're not worth the time anyway.

Also on the guide was Russell Brand's Ponderland, which is basically just a vehicle for Brand to rant about various different subjects, accompanied by weird and wonderful archive footage. Brand explores subjects ranging from Childhood, Holidays, Food, Education and Crime to Pets, Christmas and Sport. While I like Brand and think he's a funny guy, he doesn't strike me as a particularly amusing stand-up comedian unless he has something or someone to play off, and that's where the archive footage comes in. The production team have dug up some real gems worthy of a few belly laughs themselves, and then Brand's observations added on top is the cherry on the icing on the cake. Even if you don't particularly like Russell Brand, it's worth giving a couple of episodes a watch just to see the fantastic stuff they cover (and probably some nostalgia for all you old people).

Last, but not least, is You've Been Watching, which is currently showing on Channel 4, but i'm watching it on 4OD instead of TV because i'm not some kind of conformist pig. Hosting the proceedings is the irreverent Charlie Brooker, who is my hero, so you won't hear a bad word from me about him in this little review. The format of the show is quite simple, 3 panelists, getting asked questions about TV in order to win points. What is slightly out of the norm is the fact that it seems to be aimed pretty much at geeks and completely embittered people, which is fantastic as I am both of those things. Some of the things that Brooker comes out with are just completely sh!t-your-pants hilarious, and the panelists are also pretty funny as well, with comedians such as Kevin Bridges, David Baddiel and Jason Manford making appearances so far. This isn't the first series of the show, and you can watch the other series in parts on YouTube (you can find them you lazy sods) and I recommend that you do that if you've got a bit of spare time and you can't think of anything useful to do.

lolage

Was channel hopping and found a 1948 John Ford/John Wayne movie on TCM....

3 Godfathers

Hadn't seen it before, cinematography was wonderful - every frame was an artistic photograph.

3 Desperados rob the Cattlemans' Association and ride off into the Nevada Desert, with no water & two horses and stumble across a Wagon with a woman giving birth.

John Wayne, a Western and holding a baby. Was actually really funny in a daft way.

Even more enjoyable (for a two John movie) it runs off into a complete tangent, wonderful Baritone lullaby from the dying "Kid" (like WHY?) than a whole turn into karma thanks to random pages from the Bible and visions of Ghosts and then slips into a Christmas Story movie Strangers from the East and the Baby and Donkeys...

No wonder I never saw it before, and the whole bathing the new baby in Axle Grease from the Wagon (thanks to some really old Babyhood book they found) was a classic moment that had us in hoots and cringes at the same time.

Absolute Tosh but totally different from the usual Big John and really enjoyed it, but whoever wrote it must have been somoking some weird stuff even that long ago!

Was watching the MotoGP racing from Jerez in Spain yesterday. The BBC are making it ever more difficult for people to view the races. I don't understand their mentality. They have paid for the rights to show all the sport, yet confine the viewers to the one race on BBC2. There is all the free practice, qualifying, other races, everything that F1 has and more, yet one has to go to the internet to watch it all. Yesterday's Moto2 race was amongst the best I've seen in ages, and would actually attract other racing fans, who have yet to be caught by the motorcycle racing bug. Yet the Beeb confined it to the internet, and a repeat on Freeview Channel 301 at 9pm. God knows where the 125 race went..?

Time to hand back the TV rights to a more enthusiatic broadcaster..?

At the minute, I am lapping up all the election coverage. Dull as it may be to many, I simply cannot tear myself away from it.

Find myself pretty excited by the election, and as it draws nearer I cannot help but wonder if this is how the ignorant, unintelligent masses feel about xfactor finals?

Also, am quite excited at the imminent arrival of Luther. Looks like it could be a pretty decent series

Meh, Luther looks ok but just seems to be yet another detective which are 10 a penny on TV these days. No matter how groundbreaking they try to paint it, its always been done before in some form :cool:

Meh, Luther looks ok but just seems to be yet another detective which are 10 a penny on TV these days. No matter how groundbreaking they try to paint it, its always been done before in some form :cool:

"A detective series based in Norwich called 'Swallow'. Swallow is a detective who tackles vandalism. Bit of a maverick, not afraid to break the law if he thinks it’s necessary. He’s not a criminal, but he will, perhaps, travel 80mph on the motorway if he, for example, he wants to get somewhere quickly…"

• 2 weeks later...
It's Simon Pegg to you and I saw him first...ok.

D'oh! Think I was just about to watch Shaun of the Dead after I wrote that, little Freudian slip there! :D

Just finished watching the first of the biographical films in the BBC's 1980s season, this one was centered around Boy George and it's called Worried About The Boy. I'm not a Boy George or Culture Club fan really, but I know of them through their music, and I thought it was really good, it featured some excellent turns by Marc Warren and Mark Gatiss, who plays Malcolm McLaren with such great gusto and accuracy, you'd swear it was a cameo by the man himself! We just don't see enough of Gatiss nowadays... Even if you're not a fan of Culture Club, you should probably watch it anyway, because it's very well written and a good way to while away an hour and a half. It's up on BBC iPlayer now.

I believe one of the upcoming adaptations has Nick Frost playing John Self, I shall look forward to that.

• 3 weeks later...

The Wire all watched.

Lost finished.

Dexter - waiting for the new season.

Can anyone recommend something that I can really get into watching?

Man Vs Food - those americans do love thier food though. Crazy at what you can get out there. However I did want to taste most of the food that the presenter went through!

The Wire all watched.

Lost finished.

Dexter - waiting for the new season.

Can anyone recommend something that I can really get into watching?

Nowhere near as good as 'Dexter' of course but I rather like 'The Mentalist' on C5 and More 4's 'The Closer' is not without a certain wry offbeat charm .

Nowhere near as good as 'Dexter' of course but I rather like 'The Mentalist' on C5 and More 4's 'The Closer' is not without a certain wry offbeat charm .

I think my problem is after watching The Wire, I now expect all shows I watch to be up to its high standards.

Have watched a couple of The Mentalist episodes.

Field of Dreams was on last night, ah a feel good movie

Battle in Seattle was on tonight.

Goddamn that is a "shocking" movie if like me you were one of those who wondered what the Tree Huggers were on about at the time. The fictionalisation and invention of characters and sub plots to pad it out aren't really needed but they give the film a lot more impact and make it seem much more brutal.

Ain't turned me into a Tree Hugger but I see the point now, strange a movie gets their point across so much better than smashing shop windows or as in later years setting yourself on fire or suicide did.