"Pay as you Throw" - your thoughts?

Minty

Guest Hacienda
it serves a purpose and at times to national security...of which i wont go into

I'm sure Trident has stopped Islamic militants attacking the UK. :rolleyes:

No, she doesn't. Her shopping is ordered for her and delivered to her. She still has to open things though.

However, that's history as she's now in a care home. But thanks for your understanding and compassion WSS.

LOL.

That's the point isn't it?

When the country's citizens become too weak / infirm to cut the plastic wrapping off their shopping, we have a network of care homes - both private and state run - into which they can move to be looked after.

It's what our National Insurance contributions are for isn't it?

Item just on BBC News regarding charging residents based on the amount of waste they throw away possibly being introduced in England. Examples of similar schemes around the world were shown, virtually all of which had proven to be effective in reducing waste and increasing recycling, despite being controversial initially.

What do you think?

Yes, fine idea. But again, it seems to be a pick on the consumer approach and avoid targeting the causes of too much rubbish - supermarkets, other shops and manufacturers.

Why, if I want to buy some pears, do I have a choice of; loose pears, pears in a bag, or 4 pears in a tub, with plastic on top, wrapped in more plastic.

What is the point in the latter? Can the government not ban this sort of pointless packaging?

I mostly shop at my farm shop for fruit, veg, meat, bread etc., but on the occasion I visit a supermarket, I must be a "pain" for the shop staff as I keep everything loose in my basket/trolley :D

I'm sure Trident has stopped Islamic militants attacking the UK. :rolleyes:

no..but i have been involved in operations in certain parts of the world (some in warmer climates) that have resulted in real time intel being sent back to the UK that directly involved terrorist plots..

you know what attack subs can and do get up to...and the technology today is far more sophisticated than it was in your day..

LOL.

That's the point isn't it?

When the country's citizens become too weak / infirm to cut the plastic wrapping off their shopping, we have a network of care homes - both private and state run - into which they can move to be looked after.

It's what our National Insurance contributions are for isn't it?

She pays for her own care.

One day (maybe soon) you'll be old and infirm. Your callousness will come back to haunt you.

Guest Hacienda
no..but i have been involved in operations in certain parts of the world (some in warmer climates) that have resulted in real time intel being sent back to the UK that directly involved terrorist plots..

you know what attack subs can and do get up to...and the technology today is far more sophisticated than it was in your day..

I'm all for keeping nuclear and conventional attack boats but we both know that Trident is a chocolate teapot.

I'm all for keeping nuclear and conventional attack boats but we both know that Trident is a chocolate teapot.

maybe...it consumes £1bn a year to maintain....on its own..

I know of many who would welcome scrapping the trident thing all together and have another 10 attack boats etc..

but we all know that would not happen

Why would there be a reduction? The council has to pay the contractors more money to collect different things and then separate them further at the depots. It's more about your conscience and doing your bit IMO.

Because the less local waste that goes into landfill sites, the more imported waste they can "sell" to councils that have restricted facilities, hence, increased revenue they would not have had. If that is due to the diligence of the local community with decreased waste collection, then yeah, there should be a rebate.

Because the less local waste that goes into landfill sites, the more imported waste they can "sell" to councils that have restricted facilities, hence, increased revenue they would not have had. If that is due to the diligence of the local community with decreased waste collection, then yeah, there should be a rebate.

So, what you're saying is recycling has absolutely no benefit to England whatsoever, because the precious land we save from the land fill by recycling will be filled with rubbish from other countries who can't be bothered to recycle :rolleyes:

Rubbish dump England?

Of course she does. Her financial situation means that she doesn't qualify for help from Social Services.

Should she require nursing care at some stage, that will be paid for by the NHS.

LOL.

So she is a wealthy woman, who presumably has had a nice wealthy lifestyle.

Why shouldn't she pay for her own care?

Doesn't she have any family that can provide some care ;)

The Brown 'kitchen bins' are being introduced in eastleigh and we have had one for a month now. Even though we used to wrap our waste food, wash our tins, wrap our peelings etc it would still make the bin smell, and the bin was only emptied fortnightly. Now that bin has no smell and all the food goes in a bin which has a handle which seals the lid tight. That bin is emptied weekly.

I do wonder how things will smell in the heat of summer though.

Also I have now noticed how much wrapping from the shops accumulates in our other bin. It truly is wasteful. Plastic bottles, on a cardboard stand and then shrink wrapped in a fairly high density plastic. What a waste of resources!

We've had one of those brown bins for quite a while now, and even though it wasn't often warm last summer, if you keep it in the shade as much as possible and don't forget to put it out every week, it's generally not too much of a problem. A rinse out with bleach now and then does the trick, though one of those bin cleaning companies might give it a wash out for a couple of quid...

Apart from that, we've got (courtesy of the Tories) a black bin for landfill, green for metal, paper and plastic, and a couple of sacks for garden waste. They don't collect glass though, even though both adjacent councils do :confused:

Pay as you throw wouldn't really be a problem for us as there's only the two of us and we barely fill one black bag a week. Though I can imagine my neighbours with three kids and one income might see it a little differently!

LOL.

We have no problem with my mother funding her own care (although I would dispute the 'wealthy' tag). I live 2 hours away and have to work full-time and often away from home. My brother is self-employed and also has a back problem and cannot manage the required lifting.

Whilst we believe the principles behind self-funding are wrong, we are all happy to subscribe to the system in order that my mother receives the help she needs and that other people who don't have her resources can enjoy relative comfort in their old age at little or no cost.

But shall we return to the original topic about waste and packaging? Or do you want to continue to challenge the care my mother is receiving and belittle the very real difficulties elderly people have in all sorts of ways?

Guest Hacienda
LOL.

If your house is worth more than the £22500 threshold then you have to sell it to fund your nursing care. Once you have less than £22500 the state takes over.

If you've planned to leave it for your kids you're snookered.

If your house is worth more than the £22500 threshold then you have to sell it to fund your nursing care. Once you have less than £22500 the state takes over.

And there's something about £16K in savings too, I believe.

What did surprise me though, and I think is good is this. If you (the elderly parent) can't sell your house to fund your care (because of the state of the housing market for example), Social Services will 'lend' you the money, interest free, to pay for your care and then recoup that loan once your house is sold.

As far as leaving it to the kids - I'd rather my mother had a decent end to her life than worried about leaving money to me. Inherited money is just unearned income anyway and I don't feel I have a 'right' to it. If there is any left after her demise, I'll probably give it to my children TBH.

Good job Nu Labour have been in power for so long and put things in place to change this then.

Guest Hacienda

:confused:

And there's something about £16K in savings too, I believe.

What did surprise me though, and I think is good is this. If you (the elderly parent) can't sell your house to fund your care (because of the state of the housing market for example), Social Services will 'lend' you the money, interest free, to pay for your care and then recoup that loan once your house is sold.

As far as leaving it to the kids - I'd rather my mother had a decent end to her life than worried about leaving money to me. Inherited money is just unearned income anyway and I don't feel I have a 'right' to it. If there is any left after her demise, I'll probably give it to my children TBH.

The £22500 includes any capital, including cash, shares and property.

My outlaws have already signed their properties over to my wife and pay £1 a year rent so my kids will benefit and not the government.

Guest Hacienda
Good job Nu Labour have been in power for so long and put things in place to change this then.

New Labour = Tories = C*nts.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

The NHS has always provided free 'nursing' care.

Not in care homes. You really don't know much about this, I think.

Private care homes used to charge an all-in fee per week that covered nursing and personal care.

I can't be arsed to google yet another topic but, IIRC, about 2 years ago the free nursing care IN CARE HOMES was introduced. But I have :)

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/IntegratedCare/NHSfundednursingcare/DH_4070915

This was implemented in 2001.

When my mother went into her care home last week, it was made quite clear to us that we would be billed for her personal care but the NHS would be billed for any nursing care she might require in future.

Of course nursing care is free in hospital. But this wasn't the case in residential care homes until comparitively recently.

Edited by bridge too far

Fine in principal but what is stopping me from using my neighbours bin or even putting my rubbish in my car, driving to the edge of town and chucking it out the window.

Can't see the idea working in the real world. Now if we had some leadership in government then the best idea would be to legislate against packaging. In the 1950s no one had any rubbish, only compost. Look in your bin and all you will see is packaging.