Podcasts

saintbletch

Inspired by Hamilton Saint's comment on the Mastertapes thread, I thought I'd ask people for their podcast recommendations.

I do a lot of hiking and as a result I have a lot of time to squirt noise into my ears. I can't organise my week well enough to listen to stuff live on the radio; so I find podcasts are a great way to learn, stay up to date or just entertain myself.

My current list includes:

Fighting Talk - Radio 5 - Colin Murray hosts an irreverent sports 'quiz' with points awarded for aggression and trashing false idols.

Football Weekly - The Guardian - James Richardson hosts a bi-weekly, sidelong look at the footballing events of the week.

The Danny Baker Show - Radio 5 - The genius that is Danny Baker's Saturday morning radio show.

Mastertapes - Radio 4 - See separate thread.

The Infinite Monkey Cage - Brian Cox and Robin Ince host a very funny science panel discussion. (not running at the moment)

Today in Parliament - Radio 4 - yesterday's parliamentary news in detail - sub committees, The Lords, etc.

Friday Night Comedy - Radio 4 - either The News Quiz with Sandy Toksvig or The Now Show with Punt and Dennis

Comedy of the Week - Radio 4 - Random comedy sketch show

Start the Week - Radio 4 - Andrew Marr hosts an arts-focussed discussion.

Stuff you Should Know - howstuffworks.com - Two geeks investigate in detail how something works. Odd stuff from ear-worms (annoying music that gets into your brain) to Stockholm syndrome.

Dr Karl - Radio 5 - Rhod Sharp hosts Dr. Karl Kruszelnicki who answers listener's questions on anything scientific.

The Naked Scientist - Radio 5 - part of the above podcast series but Dr. Chris Smith looks in detail at the week's scientific news.

The Guardian Books Podcast - The Guardian - Books, books, books for book geeks.

What podcasts do you listen to?

Ibiza voice music box podcasts - about 30 House and Deep House mixes on there, all about 100 minutes long with no track intros or interruptions. A very good find.

Spotlight club podcasts - Similar, but more varied artists. Carl Cox to Oakenfold to Dan Ghenacia, all sorts.

No real interest in listening to anyone talking, I'd rather listen to music.

There are only a few I'll listen to with any regularity.

Football Weekly - listened to this for years now; very good even though James Richardson sometimes remind me of this bloke:-

The Geekbox - Wednesdays. Ryan Scott's weekly delve into geeky matters.

The Football Ramble; longer and often funnier than Football Weekly.

No Agenda - round-up of all conspiracy crackpot theories. Little out there, but a lot of fun.

The Football Ramble - Far and away the best football journalism available. Even the presence of a hugely biased skate on the panel can't detract from its brilliance. Funny, erudite and passionate.

The Bugle - Sharply cuddly satire.

Richard Herring's Me1 vs Me2 Snooker - A window into the soul of every one of us.

I like Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre podcast (or as all the cool kids are calling it - RHLSTP). Good interviews with people in comedy and can be f*cking hilarious.

Also listen a lot to the old Russell Brand podcasts, before all that Sachs hooplah..

Nice one, SuperMikey - largely for reminding me that I listen to this too.

By far the worst guest was Peter Serafinowicz. Fk me, that was dull. Most else is a winner though.

The Bugle - Sharply cuddly satire.

Richard Herring's Me1 vs Me2 Snooker - A window into the soul of every one of us.

Bugle is great, I also listen to Fighting Talk and Danny Baker's Saturday show.

I'm impressed you are listening to ME1 V ME2. I'm a big Herring fan (the Edinburgh/LQ Podcasts are great, as was AIOTM (AIOTM) ) but I couldn't stick with the snooker show after one, maybe two eps. Hats off.

Nice one, SuperMikey - largely for reminding me that I listen to this too.

By far the worst guest was Peter Serafinowicz. Fk me, that was dull. Most else is a winner though.

I love Peter and when I found out he was going to be on the podcast I was really excited. Unfortunately that excitement was a bit misguided. Love the Nick Frost one, talking about rods...ahh, memories.

I love Peter and when I found out he was going to be on the podcast I was really excited. Unfortunately that excitement was a bit misguided. Love the Nick Frost one, talking about rods...ahh, memories.

PS sounded really stoned and confused.

Same really. Did you ever see him as the dickhead brother in How Do You Want Me? That's some of his earlier work. The man is tremendously talented. I enjoy his comedy show without finding it rip-roaringly funny, but his vocal skills are awesome and I've enjoyed seeing him in most stuff he's in.

Just a shame that with all that vocal talent, he went for Woolton :)

Check again.

Excellent norwaysaint, they must have started up again yesterday! If you've got a geeky, sciencey, streak; this is very entertaining.

Some good recommendations here. I've since listened to a few Bugles which I enjoyed - I can't believe I hadn't stumbled across it before. Andy Zaltzman is very entertaining as the foil on Seven Day Sunday - Al Murray's satirical look back at the week's news. Also worth a listen.

I'd forgotten to add the excellent Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's Film Reviews. It's a bit of a clique and it does take a while to get the in-jokes and become part of the family. Whilst bigoted and not to everyone's tastes, Kermode has a genius understanding of film and is very entertaining if you can get to grips with his Clarkson-esque self-parody style. The chemistry between Mayo and Kermode is very good and very real.

One of my proudest claims to fame is that I've had an email read out by Simon Mayo, where I called Kermode out over his review of, erm, cough, Johnny English Reborn.

Same really. Did you ever see him as the dickhead brother in How Do You Want Me? That's some of his earlier work. The man is tremendously talented. I enjoy his comedy show without finding it rip-roaringly funny, but his vocal skills are awesome and I've enjoyed seeing him in most stuff he's in.

Just a shame that with all that vocal talent, he went for Woolton :)

Haven't seen that, i'll be sure to check it out. Earliest stuff of his i've seen was in Spaced and Look Around You. Love his sketch show too, really funny. Why it wasn't commissioned for a second series is beyond me, but I guess it had more of a cult appeal as opposed to being a populist hit.

"LIMPY'S GOT CAAAAANNCEEERRRRR!"

The Russell Brand Show and the old Ricky Gervais stuff from XFM are still the funniest. Guardian for football and fighting talk are also V good.

I like the Adam and Joe XFM podcasts too. Their rip of Colin Farrell is hilarious.

The Russell Brand Show and the old Ricky Gervais stuff from XFM are still the funniest. Guardian for football and fighting talk are also V good.

I interviewed Trevor Lock earlier this year. Nice bloke, much funnier than he got any credit for on the show. Russell said they might be all getting back together to do some more shows this year!

These are all from BBC Radio 4

Desert Island Discs [fascinating to hear what music people will pick - and the conversation is always interesting]

Great Lives [even though I find Matthew Parish annoying]

In Our Time [even though Melvyn Bragg can be seriously annoying!]

Books and Authors

Coast and Country

Thinking Allowed

Play of the Week

I download these to my ipod on the weekend and listen to them in my car (an hour-long commute to and from work every day).

• 8 months later...

Was going to start a thread about podcasts, but just found this one so I'm resurrecting it. Since I now make a podcast (Winky and the Stain, find it on iTunes!) I've developed more of an appreciation for the art. It's rewarding to hear other complete amateurs getting better at what they do over a stretch of episodes. Stuff I've been listening to recently includes:

Getting Better Acquainted - In which one bloke conducts hour-long (ish) interviews with everyone he knows. Really interesting project and could have gone either way, and indeed sometimes does. Most episodes offer satisfying and often unexpected insights into what it's like to be other people, what people are like generally, etc. Some episodes (a very few, but some) are awfully self-indulgent. Just depends on how forthcoming the guest is/how much the host ends up talking about himself. Very good stuff though.

The History of England - Been listening to a lot of history podcasts of late. This kind of subject is where the format comes into its own, as you get passionate amateurs able to really go in depth on the subject they love over as much time as they feel they need, which is not something traditional media can offer. This one's really good as the host has developed a warm, avuncular style that's easy to listen to.

Touch Radio - For fans of experimental music, the Touch label put out this series of electronics, field recordings, interviews, avant-rock gigs... all sorts

And obviously the new series of RHEFP is currently being released, Richard Herring's Edinburgh Fringe equivalent to the above-mentioned Leicester Square podcasts. A new one every day!

• 1 month later...
WTF with Marc Maron is quite good if you like comedy, he mainly interviews comedians but has interviewed random people like **** Van Dyke, Gina Gershon, Huey Lewis etc. mostly US based but good.

Got into this on your recommendation. Glad I did, it's interesting stuff. Wish he'd give the self-analysis stuff a rest, but maybe that's just me being British...

Got into this on your recommendation. Glad I did, it's interesting stuff. Wish he'd give the self-analysis stuff a rest, but maybe that's just me being British...

He's very self-involved but in a funny way, and he does alude to the fact that his comedy doesn't travel particularly well especially over here. I think he's right but it does make you wonder why Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Frasier worked over here so well.

Edited by swannymere