4G coming to Southampton

SO16_Saint

I seem to remember the mobile phone companies paying billions for 3G licences. I do wonder how many of them actually recouped the cost of those licenses through 3G itself. Better than the stuff that preceded it, but as Tim says, far too slow for anything other than an emergency.

I tend not to buy 3G versions of iPads and Kindles, etc. Wireless is near ubiquitious at the moment, which has been a factor in my decisions. Another factor is just the hassle. Fair enough, I can live with a SIM card for my phone, but one for each device? Nah. Not remotely worth the benefit.

Good to see Southampton get first dibs on the new tech, but 4G will need to be everything they say it is for me to start considering 4G models of anything other than a phone.

I wonder what a monthly cost (contract) will be.

You are looking at around £30 or so a month for say 750mb data on o2. With minutes and texts

With 4G being super fast etc....... Be interesting how much it will cost to make use of the new speeds

My S3 utilities H+ which is fine for me. If I need to stream anything I do it on wifi anyway

Edited by Thedelldays

I'd rather they worked on broadband speeds first so we can utilise wireless devices at home :(

I STILL only get 1.8mb from sky, with BT showing no plans to upgrade the network in the near future :(

IF 4g gets rolled out in Bristol, I'll be able to get faster speeds at work on my phone than at home connected to broadband! It's all a bit mental really!