Why did Wilde change his mind about Lowe?

NickG

Wilde initial campaign was a "lowe out" campaign.

He wasn't like Crouch who build up his ownership without declaring his views.

He got what wanted when he convinced Crouch to back him.

We all know what happened in the following period with the team and the execs.

We finished last season, having had a dreadful season for a number of reasons, scraping through but with a bit of optimism both on and off the pitch.

The investment Crouch said was imminent didn't happen.

Wilde decided that yet another change was needed and obviously felt strongly enough to team up with the man he was so publically seeking to oust, with all the bad feeling and loss of respect that he must have known was inevitable.

so why did he feel it was that important?

Please try and stay away from insults to all parties and fellow posters expressing a view

We finished last season, having had a dreadful season for a number of reasons, scraping through but with a bit of optimism both on and off the pitch.

Wilde decided that yet another change was needed and obviously felt strongly enough to team up with the man he was so publically seeking to oust, with all the bad feeling and loss of respect that he must have known was inevitable.

Please try and stay away from insults to all parties and fellow posters expressing a view

thats the key point really with pearson we managed to bind together when it looked certain we were going down, yes we stayed up by the narrowest of margins but he had given us hope for an improved next season.

What hope do we have now?

In answer to the original question wilde only teamed with lowe beause at the time he thought it the best way of protecting his share value

To sell the club?

The most amazing thing about this whole affair is that Wilde has not once thought it necessary to explain his actions - at least to the people whose support he so assiduously courted before he took over and presided over the boardroom chaos and drift that blew the best chance we had to get 're-promoted' (as his new soul mate puts it).

The only explanation for his actions that I've ever heard came from Jim Hone, I think, who said that he hadn't delivered on his promises. No kidding.

firstly they are all driven by money,that is why they have got where they have.secondly imo wilde has a problem with crouch,something more than we know went on behind the scenes between the two that prompted wilde to back lowe,probably something that threatened his investment.

the duo of wilde and lowe is nowhere near ideal but i still believe that if crouch was still in charge we would be further down the road to ruin than we are now.i hope that the lot of them do the off asap as they have all had a crack at the job and in there own ways have failed but somebody has to do the job until something better comes along and that could be a long way off.

but why did he think that? Must have been very concerned about Crouch -or really impressed with what Lowe was saying. For all the insults can't imagine it was easy decision for him

The SISU bid must have got the shareholders together for discussions which must have alerted them to the extremely poor financial situation.

Crouch may have been convinced another takeover was on the cards and did not do anything major to resolve the financial situation.

Wilde I think thought there was no likely takeover on the horizon and lost confidence in Crouch.

But who knows it is all very strange.

It is strange as when Wilde resigned in the first place and Hone would not let Crouch be Chairman of the football club.

Ridsdale wrote a book on the Leeds Saga called United we Fall published by Macmillan

I would love to read a Southampton equivilent.

The SISU bid must have got the shareholders together for discussions which must have alerted them to the extremely poor financial situation.

Crouch may have been convinced another takeover was on the cards and did not do anything major to resolve the financial situation.

Wilde I think thought there was no likely takeover on the horizon and lost confidence in Crouch.

But who knows it is all very strange.

It is strange as when Wilde resigned in the first place and Hone would not let Crouch be Chairman of the football club.

Ridsdale wrote a book on the Leeds Saga called United we Fall published by Macmillan

I would love to read a Southampton equivilent.

that seems quite a believable explanation

Beacuse Crouch was doing a good job and Mike Wilde was like a spoilt kid who wanted his trainset back.

thats imaginative to the extreme! He may have gone off him, but he wouldn't take that financial risk out of spite.

Feel this is really important question as to whats going on and whether lowe should stay or be replaced by Crouch (or a crouch appointee)

what is happening on Tuesday?

Honiton section of Saints supporters club is on the move, all four of us now remaining...The other eight have lost all interest in all things Saints....I think they were Exeter supporters just drinking the free cider at Saints meetings ...The other three are my girls who have found boys, parties etc and Surman, Cork do not appeal to them anymore...How fickle can you get...

Oh! that leaves me and I have voted Lowey out and do not waste my time travelling to St Marys anymore... To reconsider, if there is real boardroom shuffle and Lowey out on Tues/WED.

Anyway the Landlord at the local heard from a good source things are happening on Tuesday at Saints and he is unable to give me more....I will update you if I hear more....

Knowing Wildey he will hang on til Wednesday just to prove my Landord and his source wrong.. Things can only get better....Salz in ...now...

thats imaginative to the extreme! He may have gone off him, but he wouldn't take that financial risk out of spite.

Feel this is really important question as to whats going on and whether lowe should stay or be replaced by Crouch (or a crouch appointee)

With Wilde i think he believes his own hype and thus his own abilities. Therefore i don't doubt when he looks in the Mirror he see's Saints saviour staring back at him, but i still believe his u-turn was about revenge primarily.

Why did Wilde change his mind about Lowe?

To spite Leon Crouch.

IMHO this seems likely.

Successful businessmen are perfectly capable of believing their own hype and acting irrationally in response to perceived slights or wrongs in my experience. Perhaps more than the rest of us ;)

Who knows what Crouch might have said/done ?

He wanted to remove the head and and leave the body intact (Saints Forever). He severed the head but the body got weaker. He put the head back on but the body became a monster. Many stopped feeding the body. It became weak.

Why did he do it? I'd really like to know. Was it for personal gain or is he a Saints fan? If the intentions are honourable then there's nothing to hide so surely he can tell us. We deserve an explanation.

Crouch ousted Wilde with the help of Hone

Hone and Crouch then fell out and paralysed the club. Hone then tried to sideline Crouch who in return forced Hone and Oldknow out.

Wilde then returned the favour ganging up with Lowe to get rid of Crouch

IMHO this seems likely.

Successful businessmen are perfectly capable of believing their own hype and acting irrationally in response to perceived slights or wrongs in my experience. Perhaps more than the rest of us ;)

Who knows what Crouch might have said/done ?

And i'd also add that imho some of Crouchs motivation at present will be to get back at Wilde. Leons love of SFC cannot be questioned, but it's only human nature that he'd want to get his own back on Wilde - and i think he will.

Crouch ousted Wilde with the help of Hone

Hone and Crouch then fell out and paralysed the club. Hone then tried to sideline Crouch who in return forced Hone and Oldknow out.

Wilde then returned the favour ganging up with Lowe to get rid of Crouch

it will make a good Hollywood script though

He wanted to remove the head and and leave the body intact (Saints Forever). He severed the head but the body got weaker. He put the head back on but the body became a monster. Many stopped feeding the body. It became weak.

Why did he do it? I'd really like to know. Was it for personal gain or is he a Saints fan? If the intentions are honourable then there's nothing to hide so surely he can tell us. We deserve an explanation.

Wilde give an explanation - i can't see it. Wilde is crafty and likes to speak through people like Keith Legg, or by gaining favour from organisations like the Saints Trust (the share proxy). Perhaps a year or so ago he'd have come out and spun us a yarn - which we'd be taken in by, but now i don't think many would take what Mike has to say at face value (can you blame them?) so he'll calculate it's best to say nothing at all.

Anyway the Landlord at the local heard from a good source things are happening on Tuesday at Saints and he is unable to give me more....

The last pub landlord to 'confirm' that a takeover was "imminent" was in May 2007.....just after he got off the phone to "America"....

One word: Revenge!

His ego was hurt by Crouch and he wanted revenge.

I think there is some mileage in this notion.

IMHO Crouch has ****ed Wilde off on two occasions.

Firstly, Crouch sided with Hone & Dulieu in forcing Wilde to jump (I was told that Wilde would have been unanimously voted off had he not jumped).

The second occasion was after Crouch had forced the Executives out last December and he then refused to bring Wilde back in the fold (I presume despite having Wilde's support in elbowing them). Have a look back in the archives in December, as I'm sure there's a quote from Wilde saying he supported Crouch's move and if there was anything Leon needed from him then he would be there. Crouch didn't feel that he needed him, hence nose out of joint again.

I think that with reagrds both Lowe and Wilde, there is an element of revenge, ego and thirst for power in their return.

Three occasions if you count when Crouch first bought his shares.

Stanley, you dont half talk ****e sometimes. Wilde needed Crouch. If Crouch hadnt bought his shares , Wilde wouldnt ehave stood a chance...... one of lowes cronies would have bought up the shares and wilde would have been frozen out

Stanley, you dont half talk ****e sometimes. Wilde needed Crouch. If Crouch hadnt bought his shares , Wilde wouldnt ehave stood a chance...... one of lowes cronies would have bought up the shares and wilde would have been frozen out

It's a quite a while ago now, but i'm usually pretty good for remembering snippets, and i distinctly remember the Wilde roadshow had been going for sometime before Crouch rode into town.

I don't know who Crouch bought his shares from now, but were they likely to be allied to Wilde and thus Wilde could have counted on them anyway?

It's a quite a while ago now, but i'm usually pretty good for remembering snippets, and i distinctly remember the Wilde roadshow had been going for sometime before Crouch rode into town.

I don't know who Crouch bought his shares from now, but were they likely to be allied to Wilde and thus Wilde could have counted on them anyway?

No, there was a period of at least a few weeks, I think, when no-one knew which way Crouch would jump - into the Wilde camp or stick with Lowe.

People at the time couldn't figure out why he was dithering. Now perhaps it's a little clearer.

No, there was a period of at least a few weeks, I think, when no-one knew which way Crouch would jump - into the Wilde camp or stick with Lowe.

People at the time couldn't figure out why he was dithering. Now perhaps it's a little clearer.

Exactly, Crouch is, and always has been his own man. He was not originally part of the Wilde roadshow but was always going to side with him imo. The other alternative - Lowe - wasn't an option.

BTW he bought his shares from Invesco. I'm not sure who they would have voted in favour of if he hadn't bought the shares.

The reason he changed his mind is because the bullies he brought in had now left. They told dear old Mr Wilde that the club was heading for financial meltdown unless he could bring in some investment. After he cried and left the only way he was going to get back into the club was siding with Lowe. It is the same for Lowe, he could never return unless Wilde joined forces.

The thing is you wont get him commenting on what has happened because he is too busy trying to salvage his own company as it crumbles around him. Plus he what would he say exactly? That were going to be in the mix for promotion this year like he did in the summer?

I think there is some mileage in this notion.

IMHO Crouch has ****ed Wilde off on two occasions.

Firstly, Crouch sided with Hone & Dulieu in forcing Wilde to jump (I was told that Wilde would have been unanimously voted off had he not jumped).

The second occasion was after Crouch had forced the Executives out last December and he then refused to bring Wilde back in the fold (I presume despite having Wilde's support in elbowing them). Have a look back in the archives in December, as I'm sure there's a quote from Wilde saying he supported Crouch's move and if there was anything Leon needed from him then he would be there. Crouch didn't feel that he needed him, hence nose out of joint again.

I think that with reagrds both Lowe and Wilde, there is an element of revenge, ego and thirst for power in their return.

Spot on - I have an e mail from Wilde that complains (amonsgt other things) about Crouch's failure to bring him back on board or to use his words make it more representative of shareholder interests.

A three-word answer: we don't know.

A four-word answer: we probably never will.

Wilde posts on here from time to tiime. I am sure that he would read a thread like this which mentions his name in the title.

If he was an honourable man he could answer on here. If he is as spineless as people say he will not. Lets wait and see.

Wilde posts on here from time to tiime. I am sure that he would read a thread like this which mentions his name in the title.

If he was an honourable man he could answer on here. If he is as spineless as people say he will not. Lets wait and see.

Wilde is like the devil. His greatest trick was making people believe he doesn't exist!

Seriously though Wilde will not post on here. Just look at each thread name. "Lowe and Wilde are ****s" is the gist of it. If he cared about the club (which he doesnt) then he would not have returned with no money, no buisness plan, no direction etc.. he would not have returned with the idea of selling/loaning off anything with value, he would not have returned to get rid of a manager that had earnt the respect of the community in just 13 games and so on. He came back for two things and that was revenge and money. He is a buisness man 1st, supporter never. He would be crucified if he wrote on here now. I remember his last message basically saying things will change for the better.....Wilde is a nobhead.

Exactly, Crouch is, and always has been his own man. He was not originally part of the Wilde roadshow but was always going to side with him imo. The other alternative - Lowe - wasn't an option.

BTW he bought his shares from Invesco. I'm not sure who they would have voted in favour of if he hadn't bought the shares.

Exactly! Crouch really did have no choice. yes he was King maker, yes he did keep us wondering but at the end of the day (when it got dark) he only had one choice. What did make me wonder, around about that time, was what seemed to be his ability to be a loose cannon. I warm to his pugnacious character and can see that he has a business brain about him with his personal business success, but mostly I see him as a fellow fan. Something I cannot view either Lowe or Wilde as!

Wilde obviously felt his purposes would be best served by siding with Lowe.

End of.

Exactly! Crouch really did have no choice. yes he was King maker, yes he did keep us wondering but at the end of the day (when it got dark) he only had one choice. What did make me wonder, around about that time, was what seemed to be his ability to be a loose cannon. I warm to his pugnacious character and can see that he has a business brain about him with his personal business success, but mostly I see him as a fellow fan. Something I cannot view either Lowe or Wilde as!

Wilde obviously felt his purposes would be best served by siding with Lowe.

End of.

Wilde strikes me as a Beta Male trapped and squeezed between two Alphas. (There's a gorilla analogy here too, but I've forgotten the correct naturalist's language for it.)

If so, it's time he sold up. Then he can be king of his presumably fast-sinking domain.

Bye! (fingers crossed.)