Sci-fi Fans

Saint J 77

15 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

As someone who gave up on it part way through S4, did it get any better in S5? Should I give it another go?

Depends on why you gave up on S4. I think S5 was better, but it isn't a high bar, and some of the cliffhangers stretched credulity, even in relation to what Disco had given us before. I think that overall, after moving into the far future, they struggled with the continuing story threads through S3-5.

I would give the whole run a solid 6.5/10.

12 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Depends on why you gave up on S4. I think S5 was better, but it isn't a high bar, and some of the cliffhangers stretched credulity, even in relation to what Disco had given us before. I think that overall, after moving into the far future, they struggled with the continuing story threads through S3-5.

I would give the whole run a solid 6.5/10.

I found the writing really poor in S4, and found that I had no interest in finding out what was going to happen with the main narrative. They clearly had no idea what to do with half the characters, and it seemed to become even more specifically about Burnham than the previous seasons were.

I also found that the whole "let's have an emotional crisis instead of just acting professionally and doing our jobs" thing got very tiresome.

Edit: I probably would have sacked it off sooner, but I guess I just wasn't ready to accept there could be a ST series I didn't like. But eventually I resigned myself to it.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I found the writing really poor in S4, and found that I had no interest in finding out what was going to happen with the main narrative. They clearly had no idea what to do with half the characters, and it seemed to become even more specifically about Burnham than the previous seasons were.

I also found that the whole "let's have an emotional crisis instead of just acting professionally and doing our jobs" thing got very tiresome.

Edit: I probably would have sacked it off sooner, but I guess I just wasn't ready to accept there could be a ST series I didn't like. But eventually I resigned myself to it.

In the latter 2 series there have been too many 'with one bound Jack was free' escapes, particularly with the engineering crew.

Not a bad branch of the Trek universe, but not the best.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw Alien Romulus yesterday.

Since Aliens takes a lot from Alien, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

This one looks back, and lifts from pretty much everything across all the other films, including prequels. Not to mention what I think might be unreleased screenplays and other non film bits. Some of it works fine (and good in a couple of bits), but I was tripping into references quite a bit.

There's a number of set pieces. They work to underplay the aliens, quite a bit. There's some set pieces of what would be certain death, that aren't...well, because.

Looks good, sounds good, is a decent enough watch, maybe getting better if you've not seen some of the others. Not a patch on Alien and Aliens though. Sometimes, all those call backs are just reminders to the better bits of other movies, at the expense of this one.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I saw Alien Romulus yesterday.

Since Aliens takes a lot from Alien, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

This one looks back, and lifts from pretty much everything across all the other films, including prequels. Not to mention what I think might be unreleased screenplays and other non film bits. Some of it works fine (and good in a couple of bits), but I was tripping into references quite a bit.

There's a number of set pieces. They work to underplay the aliens, quite a bit. There's some set pieces of what would be certain death, that aren't...well, because.

Looks good, sounds good, is a decent enough watch, maybe getting better if you've not seen some of the others. Not a patch on Alien and Aliens though. Sometimes, all those call backs are just reminders to the better bits of other movies, at the expense of this one.

I'm going tomorrow and looking forward to it.  I'm expecting it to be pretty derivative but it's a franchise and probably inevitable but if Alvarez can keep the tension and suspense up then I think I'll enjoy it.  Least it doesn't sound like it's going to disappear up it's own arse like Prometheus and (to an extent) Covenant.

12 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I'm going tomorrow and looking forward to it.  I'm expecting it to be pretty derivative but it's a franchise and probably inevitable but if Alvarez can keep the tension and suspense up then I think I'll enjoy it.  Least it doesn't sound like it's going to disappear up it's own arse like Prometheus and (to an extent) Covenant.

Nope. It doesn't do that. I don't know Scott's level of involvement. Since there's nods to everything else, there are nods there too.

And each of the characters has some sort of personality/ subplot, which was also decent.

Hope you enjoy it.

• Like 1