Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

I have it on good authority that Walcott favours Liverpool. This comes from a friend who was speaking to a relation of Walcott a few weeks ago

It's obviously extremely unlikely but he may as well come here over Liverpool! Joe Allen could be their major summer signing...

I wonder if Melanie will have any say...

It's obviously extremely unlikely but he may as well come here over Liverpool! Joe Allen could be their major summer signing...

I wonder if Melanie will have any say...

very good player is Joe Allen.

Here is an assessment of our team's current state and conjecture of how we might fare from Goal.com:-

They may have limped over the finishing line and thrown away the Championship title last season, but that just indicates that there is work to be done by boss Nigel Adkins if the Saints are to beat the drop this year.

IF THE WINDOW SHUT TOMORROW

(4-4-2)

Davis

Clyne, Fonte, Hooiveld, Fox

Davis, Cork, Hammond, Lallana

Lambert, Rodriguez

The club have already dipped into what they know with moves for Jay Rodriguez and Nathaniel Clyne, while Steven Davis arriving from Rangers on a free transfer looks like one of the best deals of the summer so far.

The side doesn't appear short of goals but, at the other end, Jos Hooiveld looks like an accident waiting to happen against more mobile players and Jose Fonte needs a new partner. Scott Dann is a very real possibility, while Bristol City centre-back Liam Fontaine has also been touted.

More pace is needed out wide to help get the best out of the side's evident firepower up front, with PSV winger Jermaine Lens a potentially budget-busting alternative, but his signature may prove a step too far after the significant cash already forked out for Rodriguez.

A proven goalkeeper with top-flight experience also remains a priority, with Kelvin Davis and the newly-signed Paulo Gazzinga at the end and the beginning of their respective careers. This could all change if a deal is struck with Birmingham City for the best goalkeeper that nobody has ever seen play, though, in Jack Butland.

Taking issue with some of the rubbish spouted in that article:-

We didn't limp across the finishing line to promotion, nor did we throw away the Champions spot. We were never out of the top two all season and finished in the top two.

Hooiveld is an accident waiting to happen? If anything, Fonte is the one for that. Yes, we need to sign cover for the CB places. We all know that.

Buying Lens might push the budget too far? But then the idiot goes on to suggest that we might buy Butland, who would cost at least as much as Lens.

So we have a goalkeeper at the end of his career and the other at the beginning of his. Has the idiot not seen goalkeepers of Davis' age go on for a few more years yet? And where he suggests Butland, he is pretty well the same age as Gazzinga.

So a load of contradictions, proving that some of these journos know very little about us. If our opponents were as clueless, then we could surprise them.

Here is an assessment of our team's current state and conjecture of how we might fare from Goal.com:-

Taking issue with some of the rubbish spouted in that article:-

We didn't limp across the finishing line to promotion, nor did we throw away the Champions spot. We were never out of the top two all season and finished in the top two.

Hooiveld is an accident waiting to happen? If anything, Fonte is the one for that. Yes, we need to sign cover for the CB places. We all know that.

Buying Lens might push the budget too far? But then the idiot goes on to suggest that we might buy Butland, who would cost at least as much as Lens.

So we have a goalkeeper at the end of his career and the other at the beginning of his. Has the idiot not seen goalkeepers of Davis' age go on for a few more years yet? And where he suggests Butland, he is pretty well the same age as Gazzinga.

So a load of contradictions, proving that some of these journos know very little about us. If our opponents were as clueless, then we could surprise them.

Christ, what a nitpicking bore you are. Its actually a fairly accurate assessment of where we are. We've made some good signings but we need a new centre half, goal keeper and pace out wide, prety spot on, no? And f*ck me, someone has dared to sayHooliveld isn't the best centre half since Bobby Moore. As it happens I'm not convinced by Hooliveld or Fonte, certainly not Fonte anyway. As for "budget busting" transfers! The rumoured price of 10 million euros if a f*ck lot of money for a club like us, not a lot wrong with saying that either, that would take our spending to near the 20 million mark, more than most of us expected us to spend 2 months ago, yes?

Of course i am forgetting that the only things people are allowed to say when talking about SFC is that everything is amazing.Isn't that right Les?

I can foresee in the near future players like Walcott and Bale will come to regret no playing for Southampton Football Club. I believe under Cortese and the Liebherr Group this is a very realistic foresight.

Christ, what a nitpicking bore you are. Its actually a fairly accurate assessment of where we are. We've made some good signings but we need a new centre half, goal keeper and pace out wide, prety spot on, no? And f*ck me, someone has dared to sayHooliveld isn't the best centre half since Bobby Moore. As it happens I'm not convinced by Hooliveld or Fonte, certainly not Fonte anyway. As for "budget busting" transfers! The rumoured price of 10 million euros if a f*ck lot of money for a club like us, not a lot wrong with saying that either, that would take our spending to near the 20 million mark, more than most of us expected us to spend 2 months ago, yes?

Of course i am forgetting that the only things people are allowed to say when talking about SFC is that everything is amazing.Isn't that right Les?

I agree with Wes ;)

I can foresee in the near future players like Walcott and Bale will come to regret no playing for Southampton Football Club. I believe under Cortese and the Liebherr Group this is a very realistic foresight.

Unless we start paying players 100k+ a week they will not regret leaving

Unless we start paying players 100k+ a week they will not regret leaving

Sad but true. Bridge is a classic example, preferring to be a reserve at Chelsea and spare part elsewhere on loan than move to protect his career.

The same Gareth Bale that scored a Champions League hatrick at the San Siro?

LOL

I don't think he was talking about him signing, it's some thing about him actually being in Southampton

Really? It was a re-quote of something he said on the 17th Feb.

@Agent_ITK: Walcott could be on his way back to #Southampton in the summer. #saints #arsenal #afc

Really? It was a re-quote of something he said on the 17th Feb.

@Agent_ITK: Walcott could be on his way back to #Southampton in the summer. #saints #arsenal #afc

Have a look at the conversations he's had with people. He's getting grief from people saying Walcott won't sign, his response is people can't read. It's just some cryptic bull****

Have a look at the conversations he's had with people. He's getting grief from people saying Walcott won't sign, his response is people can't read. It's just some cryptic bull****

Probably. But why did he choose to bring it up himself again today then?

Bridge was first choice for ages at Chelsea before Cole came in, got a Premier League medal, played in the champion's league and huge games. Why on earth would he regret that?

Walcott has done very well too, he's a top player, scores goals and gets better each season. People like to criticise him but you can bet a host of top clubs would be interested in him. To suggest we have a chance is crazy. Even if we wanted to pay obscene wages, why would he deprive himself of Champion's league football?

How about the last 3 years or so of Bridges career? Put yourself in his position, a short career that has already set you and your family up for this and the next generation, providing you wealth beyond your wildest dreams. Would you have the self respect to take a slight pay cut to something like £50,000 a week but actually partake in the activity that has given you so much comfort over the years with a different employer? Surely you would. Bridge won't be remembered for being a fantastic left back which he has been in the past. That's a shame. Look at Scott Parker for contrast. Worked hard, continued to improve his game despite a failed big move. He has a different outlook to Wayne Bridge, you must be able to see that. He will be remembered as an excellent central midfielder despite his slightly rough time at Chelsea.

It said Hooiveld was the weaker link. Anyone watching could see Fonte was. Just because something is negative doesn't mean it's right. It's getting ridiculous on here, half the mentalists going with anything stupidly positive and the other half clutching at the equally moronic drivel like this.

How you get promoted doesn't dictate how you'll do the following season or how good you are. For evidence of this, see Saints/Brighton, QPR/Swansea or in fact, EVERY group of promoted teams every damn season. It doesn't correlate, so starting an article with that assertion doesn't suggest a mind worth listening to.

How is it moronic drivel? Are you saying we don't need a goalkeeper, centre back and pace out wide? Are you saying 10 million euros is peanuts to saints? Are you saying you expected us to spend over £20m this summer? Apart from the Hoolveld part, which i can see his point although i do think it's Fonte that's the weak link, hes got it spot on. Or are you failing to see that myself and the journalist are merely stating the bleeding obvious that you happy clappy weirdos actually agree with but don't like it if it's not you saying it?

Edited by Turkish

It said Hooiveld was the weaker link. Anyone watching could see Fonte was. Just because something is negative doesn't mean it's right. It's getting ridiculous on here, half the mentalists going with anything stupidly positive and the other half clutching at the equally moronic drivel like this.

How you get promoted doesn't dictate how you'll do the following season or how good you are. For evidence of this, see Saints/Brighton, QPR/Swansea or in fact, EVERY group of promoted teams every damn season. It doesn't correlate, so starting an article with that assertion doesn't suggest a mind worth listening to.

I do wish that people would stop quoting the troll Dorkish, as I have him on ignore. I agree with you, that of the two CBs, Fonte is IMO the weaker. But apparently only the real cognoscenti like Dorkish are allowed to have an opinion and anybody who disagrees with them is labelled a nitpicking bore. I'm surprised to hear him mention Bobby Moore, as Dorkish was probably in nappies when Moore was playing. ;)

What seems to have been beyond Dorkish's comprehension is that as I pointed out, the author of the piece contradicted himself more than once, regarding the age of the goalkeepers and the budget we might have. I admit to not knowing what the budget is, but then of course, neither does the author or Dorkish. Also, what was expected to be our expenditure 2 months ago was just speculation on an internet forum by people who did not have any inside knowledge. Nothing has changed; it is still guesswork. But then Dorkish knows that, as he himself said that the price for Lens was a rumour. So when one dares to comment on an article such as this, then the view expressed is disputed on grounds of speculation rather than fact.

Regarding your childish remark at the end, Dorkish, it seems that I must remind you that the purpose of this internet forum is the discussion of many topics regarding the club, the players and the people who run it. If you cared to browse the forum rules, I think you will find that there is nothing that dictates that posters are only allowed to say that everything is amazing. Personally, I think that pretty well most things are amazing. Can I assume from your tone that you think they are not? Go ahead, Dorkish, let it all spill out if you're unhappy about the way the club is run. I assure you that there will be no nasty repercussions from the mods, providing that your views do not breach the forum rules. But I would expect that many will just ignore your response as the usual gibberish from one of the forum's premier trolls.

I do wish that people would stop quoting the troll Dorkish, as I have him on ignore. I agree with you, that of the two CBs, Fonte is IMO the weaker. But apparently only the real cognoscenti like Dorkish are allowed to have an opinion and anybody who disagrees with them is labelled a nitpicking bore. I'm surprised to hear him mention Bobby Moore, as Dorkish was probably in nappies when Moore was playing. ;)

What seems to have been beyond Dorkish's comprehension is that as I pointed out, the author of the piece contradicted himself more than once, regarding the age of the goalkeepers and the budget we might have. I admit to not knowing what the budget is, but then of course, neither does the author or Dorkish. Also, what was expected to be our expenditure 2 months ago was just speculation on an internet forum by people who did not have any inside knowledge. Nothing has changed; it is still guesswork. But then Dorkish knows that, as he himself said that the price for Lens was a rumour. So when one dares to comment on an article such as this, then the view expressed is disputed on grounds of speculation rather than fact.

Regarding your childish remark at the end, Dorkish, it seems that I must remind you that the purpose of this internet forum is the discussion of many topics regarding the club, the players and the people who run it. If you cared to browse the forum rules, I think you will find that there is nothing that dictates that posters are only allowed to say that everything is amazing. Personally, I think that pretty well most things are amazing. Can I assume from your tone that you think they are not? Go ahead, Dorkish, let it all spill out if you're unhappy about the way the club is run. I assure you that there will be no nasty repercussions from the mods, providing that your views do not breach the forum rules. But I would expect that many will just ignore your response as the usual gibberish from one of the forum's premier trolls.

serie_biff.jpg

I wish people would stop quoting me as I have to put up with this boring drivel from Les Bender. What seems to be beyond Les Benders comprehension is that the author actually correctly identifies all the areas we need to improve and also correctly alludes to the fact that that a £20m outlay in one transfer window is a huge amount for a club of Saints size. We don't know what the budget is but it would be highly optimistic to expect £20m regardless of if that is what it is or not, as the author rightly says.

Again it seems Les seems to be unable to differentiate realism with negativity. What has happened to SFC under the Liebheers stewardship is amazing and better than we could have hoped for. However at some point we will plateau, although Les thinks this will be after successive champions league triumphs. But the what can you expect from someone who thinks we'll be a huge club because they once said man would never walk on the moon?

Edited by Turkish

fyi

Go on, Dorkish; if you find what I have to say boring drivel, put me on ignore, as I have with you.

You know it makes sense. But I realise that as a troll it gives you some twisted jollies attempting to rile others, so I doubt that you will.

Thankfully I only have to suffer your inane postings when people quote you. Surely in these days of advanced technology, there ought to be some way that people who are on ignore cannot show up to those who wish to ignore them, even when quoted by others? Mods?

Go on, Dorkish; if you find what I have to say boring drivel, put me on ignore, as I have with you.

You know it makes sense. But I realise that as a troll it gives you some twisted jollies attempting to rile others, so I doubt that you will.

Thankfully I only have to suffer your inane postings when people quote you. Surely in these days of advanced technology, there ought to be some way that people who are on ignore cannot show up to those who wish to ignore them, even when quoted by others? Mods?

:lol:

Nice one Les.

I agree. I wish people would stop biting and replying to him until he ****s off back to get bullied on TUI. People don't realise that if you ignore them they'll soon get bored.

Why are people saying 20 mil transfer budget is a huge sum?

It isn't.

Jeez only 6 weeks ago we were congratulating ourselves on making it to the PL and being GUARANTEED 60mil in this season and then a Guarantee of 4 years of PP's if we go back down again.

Investing only 1/3rd of our planned income to improve the probability of remaining in the division is pretty low.

Oh but I forgot, everyone on here knows transfer fees are all paid in cash in one go

An official move made for another player according to Alan Nixon on twitter, he's not mentioning names, but it'll be in the paper on Monday.

Probably us having another pop at Lens surely? I'm wondering whether we'll be in for a CB - it looks like Stephens has stepped up to the plate and he may be good enough until the January window? My own opinion is we do need another proven CB - perhaps Danns?

It isn't.

Jeez only 6 weeks ago we were congratulating ourselves on making it to the PL and being GUARANTEED 60mil in this season and then a Guarantee of 4 years of PP's if we go back down again.

Investing only 1/3rd of our planned income to improve the probability of remaining in the division is pretty low.

Oh but I forgot, everyone on here knows transfer fees are all paid in cash in one go

The main issue is that we do not get the 60mil now. It is mainly paid out at the end of the season based on tv appearances and position in the league. I wonder how much of Markus' 'No Debt' culture has rubbed off on NC? If its al ot, then maybe there will not be too many more expensive signings till the end of the season. Of course, that may well be too late!

It isn't.

I agree although I doubt SFC will pay that sort of fee even in installments.