Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

Fourth Official has no more info on Buttner than we do.

Nixon said the player Reading are beating us to isnt Michu.

Its Diakhate.

We're we even ever interested in Michu in real life and not just on mong boards? I remember a vague article in the echo about it months ago but nothing since anywhere else.

Edited by Turkish

#swfc close to signing Michail Antonio for fee of around 750k. Also trying to sign Jay Bothroyd and DJ Campbell on season loans

750k is INSANE for Antonio IMO.

No miracle man but will do a decent job for them - expect them to be pushing for promotion.

If Barney's worth 800K -or whatever was quoted in the paper, Antonio is easily worth 750K.

Antonio is awful. Quick but nothing else

I think that is doing him a disservice, in a loan spell at the end of the season he played an important part in getting Sheff Weds promoted. He also had some good games for us in 2009/10 as a 19/20 year old.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Antonio is awful. Quick but nothing else

From what I gather, he's improved a lot from his days with us. I still liked him though, from being plucked from non-league he obviously had some talent, he just needed nurturing, like Aaron Martin, only in a different position.

As for Reading, it's surprising to see them sign nothing but free transfers so far. It's only a matter of time before they start splashing the cash.

If players just want the bigger wages I'm honestly not that bothered about losing out. Most just look at the season ahead but unfortunately I'm old enough to have a seen a lot of seasons go by, and it's best to plan for more than 1. Building a strong squad that actually gets on and works well together is vital. The random collection of highly paid players entering a club for money can work well short term, Pompey, QPR and maybe even Reading, short term results can come. But at some point you'll hit a rough patch and you're likely to find a group of players looking for the quickest exit without any consideration for the club.

Plus, perhaps more importantly, you're likely to lose many of those players for lower fees than you paid. People suggest Rogriguez was expensive, but that money hasn't gone, he's clearly an asset. It won't take much for his value to rise, and who knows how big his potential is. Might work out, might not, but if you sign a Defoe for instance, massive wages yet guaranteeing a few goals, his value is still only going one way. It's also tough to improve players that established, get them used to a new system etc. I don't think Saints want anyone thinking they're bigger than the club, and I really don't. If we sign older experienced players, I hope they have something to prove and are mainly just desperate to play. Hence my distinction between Hargreaves and Owen, who often get grouped in together. Hargreaves desperately wants to get back playing and has everything to prove. Owen has happily sat out as a highly paid mascot and wasted his best years.

Players will either buy into what Saints are trying to do or they won't, but I won't lose any sleep about the ones we miss out on. I know we'll get the 'should have signed him' stuff every time someone scores, players will be overhyped on a handful of games and written off on one, because for some reason people don't seem to learn however many seasons they watch.

Having said all that, if we don't sign 2 keepers I will spend most the season forecasting panic.

Never a truer word spoken....

Clyne is out of contract so they won't get a lot for him, mayb 2-3m. Zaha can't be worth much more than 5 surely - not like he got loads of goals and assists last season.

Why would they get £2-3m for a player who is out of contract? He will leave for free and Palace will get a small amount of compensation due to his age, usually about £0.5m.

We don't need to agree anything with Palace, we can just offer him a contract.

Pog and Defoe will be a pretty decent strike force for the prem, for not a lot of money. However they're just making sure they stay up and not looking down the line. Which way is better, we'll find out by the end of the season, but would be funny if they were relegated.

Pog and Defoe will be a pretty decent strike force for the prem, for not a lot of money. However they're just making sure they stay up and not looking down the line. Which way is better, we'll find out by the end of the season, but would be funny if they were relegated.

why is the signing of proven prem players now considered not forward thinking?

I think some have bought into 'The Southampton Way' to the extent they're dismissing proven prem strikers like Defoe and Yakubu as short term options. That is absolutely mental I'm afraid. Lambert and Rodriguez haven't kicked a ball in anger in the top flight, let alone hit the net.

Don't think I once dismissed them. Pog and Defoe are better now than our players hence me also saying I don't doubt they'll stay up. BUT IF we can stay up this season with a youthful team, then our way will look better. We've clearly got high hopes for the younger lads we've brought in, however, I wouldn't have said no to Defore or Pog

Don't think I once dismissed them. Pog and Defoe are better now than our players hence me also saying I don't doubt they'll stay up. BUT IF we can stay up this season with a youthful team, then our way will look better. We've clearly got high hopes for the younger lads we've brought in, however, I wouldn't have said no to Defore or Pog

Fair do's. Reading keep being linked with players who don't seem to be signing anyway, I'd be surprised if Defoe goes there. Whoever picks him up will have done exceptionally well. God I hope our lads can score a few in the prem, I'm getting nervous already!

Alan Nixon:

Southampton should make a good signing in next 24 hours. Don't ask. Saving it for the paper. #progress

Interesting! There will be a lot of disappointed if nothing happens now. I guess it does include the word "should" just to cover himself.