Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

why is he...what has he done for that..?

- Was a regular for a mid table Premier League team last season

- Only 23 years old

- Recently an England under 21 international

- English

- Cost Spurs over £5m three years ago and they'd want to recoup that

£5-6m is the sort of price you should expect to pay for such a player in 2012.

- Only 23 years old

- English

Have to say I agree with you...

why is he...what has he done for that..?

Oh it's quite simple, a decent young right back is worth £1.5m, then you is having to double it if they is Premier League, then you is having to double it again if they is English. No-one knows why.

- Only 23 years old

- English

seems a great deal

but hey ho, not my money

:o

Kyle Naughton?

Southampton have had a £5m bid for Kyle Naughton rejected. #THFC #Saints

yes please. Remember watching him for Sheffield at SMS a few years back and looking the class player on the pitch. He was just 18 at the time. Surprised Norwich haven't signed him if he is available. Maybe they weren't impressed with that £5m fee, but if anyone knows what he's worth its them.

I was more impressed with Naughton in 2007 than I was with Clyne last season. Similar type of players. Not sure how far Kyle has come since then.

Clyne is better defending in one on one situations -and rarely gets beaten on the floor but Naughton is a more cultured footballer whereas Clyne is a very one-footed.

are you basing that assessment on Naughton's showings whilst in the Championship, as trying to keep Nani quiet is a damn sight easier than Chris Burke for instance.

are you basing that assessment on Naughton's showings whilst in the Championship, as trying to keep Nani quiet is a damn sight easier than Chris Burke for instance.

Basing it on Naughton's time at M'Boro and in particular Leicester - didn't see much of him at Norwich. Agree Clyne has only mixed it in the championship but I've rarely seen a fullback hound and get so close to attackers and rarely get skinned or beaten.

Basing it on Naughton's time at M'Boro and in particular Leicester - didn't see much of him at Norwich. Agree Clyne has only mixed it in the championship but I've rarely seen a fullback hound and get so close to attackers and rarely get skinned or beaten.

For me both looked extremely comfortable in possession, and unflustered defensively. Both seem pacey. I just thought Clyne could have done a little more going forward. You never know how much freedom fullback have to bomb forward but I only saw him make a run once in two games. Happy to see either at our place. Pace is at a premium in our side and no matter what some say on here it is an absolute must at the top level at both ends of the field

- Only 23 years old

- English

+ named in the PFA Championship Team of the Year whilst at Leicester, and won the young player of the year award there. Also won it at Sheff Utd.

Would be a great signing IMO, and seems just the sort of player that fits the bill of what Nigel is looking for.

Sure he'd be fine but its question of priorities. A RB to compete with Frazer (and DB) would be a good addition to the squad but with GK, CB and RMF all needed (IMHO) how important is RB if it puts any of those other positions to strengthen in doubt? Is it likely the club will make 7 signings, given NA's comments about evolution not revolution? But if they do, all the better; it would certainly show determination not to be a YoYo side.

Sure he'd be fine but its question of priorities. A RB to compete with Frazer (and DB) would be a good addition to the squad but with GK, CB and RMF all needed (IMHO) how important is RB if it puts any of those other positions to strengthen in doubt? Is it likely the club will make 7 signings, given NA's comments about evolution not revolution? But if they do, all the better; it would certainly show determination not to be a YoYo side.

Well we made 5 last summer and this summer we are definitely short in the goal keeping and central defensive areas. I'm expecting at least 3 or 4 new signings in addition to Buttner as a minimum. One in goal, two centre backs and a right back or midfielder or both.

Kieran Richardson and William Gallas to WHU.

Good signings IMO

Only good if you want West Ham to fall down again...

Richardson is nothing special and Gallas is firmly past it, he was past it when he left Arsenal...

Southampton target Wilfried Zaha

SOUTHAMPTON want Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha.

Saints boss Nigel Adkins is eyeing the 19-year-old as his fourth summer signing as he prepares for life in the Premier League.

Zaha was Championship Young Player of the Year last term.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4418068/Southampton-target-Wilfried-Zaha.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Nice ... but its The Sun, so can't put much store by this journalism. Would like it to come to pass, sure.

22nd June they said Steven Davis was a Saints target, 6th July he signs for Saints.

A case of throw enough mud and some sticks, or maybe they actually know something...?

Anyone else think that we'll not sign a right winger? What with Guly, Chaplow, De Ridder and Puncheon still in the squad, it would seem that there are players waiting to prove themselves in that position, plus it might be considered that there are more pressing positions to deal with (e.g. GK, CB).

Anyone else think that we'll not sign a right winger? What with Guly, Chaplow, De Ridder and Puncheon still in the squad, it would seem that there are players waiting to prove themselves in that position, plus it might be considered that there are more pressing positions to deal with (e.g. GK, CB).

To be honest, I think the RM slot is an absolute priority this summer. We mixed and matched so much in that position last year and not once did we have a consistent formula. We need a proper out and out right winger as a priority signing IMO.

Anyone else think that we'll not sign a right winger? What with Guly, Chaplow, De Ridder and Puncheon still in the squad, it would seem that there are players waiting to prove themselves in that position.

Of the players you listed, only De Ridder is a proper right winger. You could raise doubts over all of them making it for an upper half Premier League team, which is clearly the aim for Saints in the near future.

Plus it might be considered that there are more pressing positions to deal with (e.g. GK, CB).

Since Chamberlain left the club, right midfield is the position Saints have had most trouble finding someone to fill. As highlighted by the large number of players used last season with none of them really claiming it as their own with any real success. Guly Do Prado probably came the closest, and he really isn't a winger/wide midfielder at all.

Plus, it is possible to do more than one deal at the same time. Signing a right midfielder doesn't mean necessarily that signing a GK or CB won't happen.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Deppo tweeted this earlier:

Just to let all #saintsfc fans know - look out for a big news story tomorrow. That's all I'm saying. COYR

RE: my last tweet - or it might be Tuesday. COYR! #saintsfc

@Looweee Not that. I can't say but it is a big #saintsfc story. COYR!

Think it's probably just a wind-up/**** take myself. Have no clue if Deppo is known for being ITK or not.

Deppo tweeted this earlier:

Just to let all #saintsfc fans know - look out for a big news story tomorrow. That's all I'm saying. COYR

RE: my last tweet - or it might be Tuesday. COYR! #saintsfc

@Looweee Not that. I can't say but it is a big #saintsfc story. COYR!

Think it's probably just a wind-up/**** take myself. Have know clue if Deppo is known for being ITK or not.

That's a wind up, no worries.

I reckon we might see Cork moved out there & Davis in the middle.......................so we can go 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 with more fluidity pushing Adam up with Jay Rod & Ricky.

If you watched ManUre at their best Ronaldo, Rooney & Berbatov rotated constantly so that at any time one could would be upfront & the other 2 on either wing. I can see us trying to isolate full backs. Both Rickie & Jay Rod at the back post allowing others through the middle.

That said, we desperately need some pace in the side.

Can't see what you wrote TDD, you are on ignore, but I presume it was something like "Not coming here, he was linked with Barcelona and Real Madrid and Man United by my mate down the pub, as was Sigurdsson."

No reason whatsoever why we shouldn't try to sign him, his agent has effectively taken him off the market to get him a new contract at Blackburn, and we should be a bigger pull than them.

Can't see what you wrote TDD, you are on ignore, but I presume it was something like "Not coming here, he was linked with Barcelona and Real Madrid and Man United by my mate down the pub, as was Sigurdsson."

No reason whatsoever why we shouldn't try to sign him, his agent has effectively taken him off the market to get him a new contract at Blackburn, and we should be a bigger pull than them.

he has been linked with bayern munich.

he has been linked with spurs

SHOULD he become available, a young player who stood out in a very poor team will go to a better club than saints right now

mainly for no other reason than ££££££££