Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

Indeed, which one of Viafara, Quashie or Palmer could pass a ball, let alone as well as Morgan can?

You're missing the point. They wouldn't need to. They weren't totally inept & broke down oppositions attacks & turned it into counters. Feeding team mates either side & sometimes, yes even if they weren't the most gifted passers, they'd pass effective through balls leading to goals or players forming assists. Stranger things have happened.

Ideally, I'd love us to spent a wedge & get a real classy passing, ball winning leader to captain from the middle. At this level, you need someone special. We need to bolster. It's a huge full in class & even bigger than when we were here last. I think some on here, judging by responses, don't release by how big a leap in class.

Edited by Gordon Mockles

We already have a really solid central midfielder who dictates the pace in Spiderman. However what i think we want is a defensive midfielder, someone whose athletic ability and tackling can stamp some authority on a game.

Exactly. Morgan is decent & I'm very keen to see how he adapts as I'll think he will further improve but he plays the Safri role more than gets forward. I am unsure how successful Morgan is going forward & I think we've tried & he hadn't set the world alight as goal ratio suggests. He's suited sitting deeper, spraying passes through. I'd like an addition in what you ask - an athlete & fierce (not 2 footed Hammond fierce) & biting presence in the middle which is what we lack. Suitable for PL level anyway .

I agree with MLG here. The days of the makelele are gone. Defensive midfielders now have to be able to start attacks and be a decent passer of the ball rather than just winning tackles and offloading 2 yard balls to the creative midfielders. Just look at the likes of tiote/song/carrick for example.

I think midfielders are expected to head, pass, shoot & tackle. It's just their key abilities & strengths which dictate where they sit in the formation. The Makalele comment is nonsense. He'd happily be welcomed into any top flight European league if he were a fresh faced 21 year old again!

Doesn't look like we are going to get those one or two signings that Nigel mentioned in for the start of preseason now does it? Unless we get a surprise signing tomorrow now?

Are you being sarky? Assuming so. Plenty of time. I do question how we now seem to hype transfer windows into more than they are. I just hope we shore up the shaky defence which will leak goals PL & looked vulnerable enough in the EPC. A top quality, midfield talisman & I am happy. LM back up for Adam or cover if Lallana is played more central .

Are you being sarky? Assuming so. Plenty of time. I do question how we now seem to hype transfer windows into more than they are. I just hope we shore up the shaky defence which will leak goals PL & looked vulnerable enough in the EPC. A top quality, midfield talisman & I am happy. LM back up for Adam or cover if Lallana is played more central .

This.

To the extent where idiots parade themselves around saying they have it on good authority that they know someone will sign for attention. It's unbelievable.

Same goes to the kit, it's a bit of cloth at the end of the day. It'll be red and white. So what?

I agree with MLG here. The days of the makelele are gone. Defensive midfielders now have to be able to start attacks and be a decent passer of the ball rather than just winning tackles and offloading 2 yard balls to the creative midfielders. Just look at the likes of tiote/song/carrick for example.

Tiote can't pass a ball 5 yards, but aside from that the French or French leagues seem to produce an abundance of these types of players. MS is already growing into the role imo but we do need another midfielder to compliment him. Don't think out current central midfielders are good enough for the prem. Would love to be proven wrong of course.

I was going on the interview Nigel Adkins gave the other day. Apparently Adkins had a smile on his face saying he hoped to have one or two players in before the start of pre-season. Well pre-season officially started this Thursday morning according to the Echo. http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/9787000.Back_to_work_for_Saints_stars/

Of course I know there is plenty of time to sign players, I know that, I'm not panicking. I am just a sucker for those kind of comments and so when Nigel made them I had incorrectly assumed we might have a new name to talk about today. I am happy enough with waiting, although I must admit I will sleep a little better when we finally secure a new second keeper :)

Edited by Saint J 77

Yeah I'm game for that, I'll have a job lot.

Can we also have scarves that read 'England's Fifth Richest Club' ? There's a big demand for that kind of thing at the moment #saintsfc

The inflatable Johnstone Paint Trophies are selling well. The free accompanying song sheet with the song below for trips to Anfield and Old Trafford is proving to be popular.

"we won it ones time, we won it one time, the johnstones Paint trophy we won it one time"

The inflatable Johnstone Paint Trophies are selling well. The free accompanying song sheet with the song below for trips to Anfield and Old Trafford is proving to be popular.

"we won it ones time, we won it one time johnstones Paint trophy we won it one time"

I believe we are getting 1 gold star above our badge this year to celebrate the win *

*please infract me if this should be in the new kit thread.

"we won it ones time, we won it one time, the johnstones Paint trophy we won it one time"

Why is it that a lot of your threads read just like the ramblings of a skate I know - always looking for an angle to criticise Saints? Just wondering.

Why is it that a lot of your threads read just like the ramblings of a skate I know - always looking for an angle to criticise Saints? Just wondering.

His jeans are too tight, puts him in a bad mood.

Back to the players, would love to see a triple bid for The 3 young Brum guys.

I was going on the interview Nigel Adkins gave the other day. Apparently Adkins had a smile on his face saying he hoped to have one or two players in before the start of pre-season. Well pre-season officially started this Thursday morning according to the Echo. http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/9787000.Back_to_work_for_Saints_stars/

Of course I know there is plenty of time to sign players, I know that, I'm not panicking. I am just a sucker for those kind of comments and so when Nigel made them I had incorrectly assumed we might have a new name to talk about today. I am happy enough with waiting, although I must admit I will sleep a little better when we finally secure a new second keeper :)

My mistake & apologies for misunderstanding. I'd have reacted the same, ever the optimist. Does bug me a bit the club do seem quite deft at playing up transfer windows now (& I'm pleased we are active before rabid fans hyperventilate & not selling our best talent *touch wood*) without tons of movement. Or making out more is in the pipeline than actuality.

That's not to say I don't expect signings. Just have a very slight feeling from past few windows that we like to alude to more. Same business principle as the new kit a year after the other. If it keeps us sustainable, it's good but do prefer transparency as the misleading & capitalist mentality of businesses & people in this country grows more than tiresome.

Depends where you heard it from...

As long as it's not from the same source that this poster heard we had made a joint £10m bid for Butland and Redmond from Brum...football rumours, I'll be more inclined to believe it.