Summer 2012 HCDAJFU Thread - Premier League Special Edition

Jimmy_D

Think that was just a contract thing and Bart knowing he needed football. The club would obviously rather kept Bart than Forecast, but his contract wasn't up. Bart would have probably been third keeper with another signed. Now we really need 2 keepers in.

Yeah I was think we probably need 2 keepers now. I am just worried as to when we sign them. I just hope its sooner rather than later. Can you imagine if Kelvin got injured the day of the Man City match and Tommy Forecast was in goal? :(

Edited by Saint J 77

Yeah I was think we probably need 2 keepers now. I am just worried as to when we sign them. I just hope its sooner rather than later. Can you imagine if Kelvin got injured the day of the Man City match and Tommy Forecast was in goal? :(

I really can't see it coming to that. I think it's impatient to say the least that just about two months until that fixture and it's already something you're worried about.

Thought this was odd too... we're hardly short of LBs?

Yeah, but I don't think Shaw is going to be ready to make the step up for a season or two and should probably be loaned out for exp and Harding and Dickson are nowhere approaching good enough for the PL. Some real competition for Fox wouldn't go amiss IMO.

Edited by MOSaint

Does say he's left sided so maybe he plays left midfield as well? I wonder if we're planning on moving Lallana to a more central position.

Lallana does seem to be our only left midfielder so it would make sense if we are looking at someone who can play there. We are quite weak in the wide positions.

Thought this was odd too... we're hardly short of LBs?

Hes a left wing converted to LB. Fulham had a joke bid refused and QPR had one accepted and are apparently in "advanced negotiations" with him according to the dutch sites.

I really can't see it coming to that. I think it's impatient to say the least that just about two months until that fixture and it's already something you're worried about.

I know there is plenty of time so I will not panic just yet. Its was just because we let Bart go I was hoping that meant the replacement deal was as good as done, but it appears not.

As adriansfc said I am sure that the club "aren't that stupid." And TF will probably not even get near the bench this year. But while its still a possibility its a frightening prospect.

Edited by Saint J 77

They aren't that stupid.

I honestly don't think they'll risk Forecast being no.3 at this level. Only takes an injury or suspension and he's on the bench, potentially needed for Premier League football. I have no doubts we'll sign 2 keepers.

We won't sign two good ones that's for sure. Only the really top clubs have 3 decent keepers. We'll get one, no doubt and a good one but if we sign another one it'll probably be a kid. Remember when we had Niemi and Jones we had to rely on Blayney for a couple of games and we also had to bring Kasey Keller in on loan. You'd have to be very unlucky to have both your decent goal keepers and no keeper worth having is going to come here knowing they might well be third choice and not even make the bench most weeks. we'll sign one good keeper and I think we may have him lined up already.

No I wouldn't do the same. If I had the chance to play I wouldn't spend it wasting away in reserves or going off to some oil rich country with no decent leagues. It's not like you can't still play and make a fortune. Can't stand balotelli but can't fault him as he's clearly keen to play every week. It's a stupid sport that pays someone that much but he's not exactly going to turn it down. But he'd get that mega money anywhere, so ultimately is more likely to make decisions on a football basis. Owen is still just chasing money. Up to him, no rule that players have to be passionate about playing, just puts me off some of them.

Money aside, I miss proper characters in the game who were vaguely likeable, funny or just plain hard. Now we have people mistaking being c-unts for interesting characters, play actors rather than hard men, shouting and getting defensive rather than banter. Glad saints seem to have a fairly decent bunch of lads at the club these days it's refreshing. Puncheon and that 'keeper' I'm not allowed to mention aside.

I'm ambivalent about Guly. He brought interesting elements to the squad that we lacked in league one (deft touches, intelligent through balls, pinged passes on occasions straight to our forwards feet) but did look less suited with the physicality of the EPC. He certainly was the new fall guy & had unfair criticism. Often wasn't great but I totally agree he's a confidence player. I think most players are, some more effected by fickle fan jeers as I think was unfairly endured by Guly.

Back on track, the reason I mentioned Guly was he may improve in the PL but late last season he bugged me how he just wouldn't jump or bother challenging for headers which is poor for a professional footballer. He would work hard in games & track back on occasions but I think we need a player who keeps possession better & I fear he MAY lose us possession in dangerous positions. I would much rather a strong RM bursting along the wing (De Ridder as back up but deserves a chance) & Lallana in the middle again with a ball winning, competent CM in a Viafara/Quashie/Carlton Palmer type bulldozer picking up loose balls & mopping up or sticking a gookie leg out to block through balls & winning back possession. I like how Chaplow does this & he has a good engine but I'd rather someone that sat on the centre spot, someone that didn't over commit & leave Morgan & the back 4 exposed if we had Lallana, Lambert, Lee/Rodriguez & RM & LM pushing up with possible LB/RB flanking. Someone quick enough to track back & fourth.*

What do I know but just a theory. I would love a good bulldozer to break up the play in the centre circle. Worked well in the past. I feel we have Chaplow but he's not that player despite his great interceptions. He does push up. We need a clogger to break up play as we will sure as hell need it against the quality midfields in the bigger clubs. They will boss matches but a Marsden type engine on a good tackling set of legs would transform our squad immeasurably. Can't think of anyone that suitable. Would like to see Guthrie replace Hammond if free but can't think of any candidates for a real solid central midfielder dictating the tempo. Any suggestions?*

The past is gone. Football has moved on from these types, they would not get anywhere near top flight football these days.

Dont know - there has been a spate of articles on the evolution of football, arguing that it has many parallels with American football. And just as the quarterback is one of, if not the most important role in americam football, so the same is increasingly true of the deep-lying playmakers which are probably the closest thing to a quarterback in our game. But -and here's the crux- those roles need time and space 'in the pocket', something which old-fashioned ballwinners continue to provide.

NA has used american footballing analogies more than once. For all his bluff and evasiveness to reveal his thinking about the game, its surprising how little people pick up on his interest in and reference to American sports.

Schneiderlin as the quarterback and Lambert as the tight end anyone?

I would much rather a strong RM bursting along the wing

QUOTE]

There is a problem with that wish: Saints play with attacking fullbacks, and as we could see repeatedly Richardson can't play together with SDR because they occupy the same space on the pitch. To get the most out of SDR you need a much less attack minded RB, and he did OK with Butterfield, who is content to feed him balls and cross from deep. The pairing of Guly (as RW) and Richardson was that Guly had the intelligence to let FR work as he likes and to feed him the ball and not to compete about the space (a kind of reverse wing/fullback approach). As could be expected he got criticised for not attacking the byline...

For as long as we play with attacking FBs, and I don't mind that, we will have a bit of a problem defensively, and we will need different midfielders on the left and right. Lallana on the left is fine because he goes in field, but we haven't sorted the right side yet. Maybe a left footed winger who cuts inside? The defensive frailties are solved on the continent with one attacking back and the other one not, effectively leaving a three man defense. But, of course, they do it from a basic 4-2-3-1 formation, which is the attacking formation by choice outside the UK, whilst we persevere with 4-4-2.

Dont know - there has been a spate of articles on the evolution of football, arguing that it has many parallels with American football. And just as the quarterback is one of, if not the most important role in americam football, so the same is increasingly true of the deep-lying playmakers which are probably the closest thing to a quarterback in our game. But -and here's the crux- those roles need time and space 'in the pocket', something which old-fashioned ballwinners continue to provide.

NA has used american footballing analogies more than once. For all his bluff and evasiveness to reveal his thinking about the game, its surprising how little people pick up on his interest in and reference to American sports.

Schneiderlin as the quarterback and Lambert as the tight end anyone?

Indeed, which one of Viafara, Quashie or Palmer could pass a ball, let alone as well as Morgan can?

Indeed, which one of Viafara, Quashie or Palmer could pass a ball, let alone as well as Morgan can?

They can't and couldn't but to extend the american football analogy, deep-lying playmakers need more aggressive players around them -an offensive line- to give them the time and space to pick their passes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/italy/9357574/Euro-2012-Andrea-Pirlo-plays-quarterback-in-role-as-Italys-deep-lying-playmaker.html

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-sport/spain-vs-italy-why-euro-2012s-pass-master-is-pirlo-not-xavi/

Edited by shurlock

We already have a really solid central midfielder who dictates the pace in Spiderman. However what i think we want is a defensive midfielder, someone whose athletic ability and tackling can stamp some authority on a game.

Schneiderlin is our defensive midfielder, his role is often to sit just in front of Fonte and Hooiveld, break up opposition attacks and start us going with his range of passing.

We already have a really solid central midfielder who dictates the pace in Spiderman. However what i think we want is a defensive midfielder, someone whose athletic ability and tackling can stamp some authority on a game.

I agree with MLG here. The days of the makelele are gone. Defensive midfielders now have to be able to start attacks and be a decent passer of the ball rather than just winning tackles and offloading 2 yard balls to the creative midfielders. Just look at the likes of tiote/song/carrick for example.

at this rate, we will be signing 11 new players

going to be a big turn around of players between now and the close of the JANUARY transfer window

I don't think it's any surprise that because we're now a Premier League club, the rumours come thick and fast. We probably looked at hundreds of players last season, be it chasing up a target or a scout going to a game and writing down a few names.

Buttner for example could be one of five players playing in a match that one of our scouts attended, and because we're in the spotlight now and there's more Southampton stories needed, the press have picked up on that one player out of the five and made a story from it.

That Dutch keeper we were looking at a few months ago, nothing ever came of that, and that was meant to be nailed on. The biggest clue was that Adkins was at the game personally - again he might have liked the look of a handful of players.

I'd be surprised if we signed a lot of new players.

Peter White ‏@peterwhite_1

Despite many reports to the contrary Saints want to sign Buttner not Butland #saintsfc

This gets better and better.

:lol: I think this guy is having some fun at the expense of the twitter hounds.

Edited by MOSaint

I've seen more than one person soiling themselves because we haven't signed anyone after Adkins said there'd possibly be two signings by today.

Puts in order for 2012 range of 'Why won't anyone sign for Southampton' car stickers.

Puts in order for 2012 range of 'Why won't anyone sign for Southampton' car stickers.

Yeah I'm game for that, I'll have a job lot.

Can we also have scarves that read 'England's Fifth Richest Club' ? There's a big demand for that kind of thing at the moment #saintsfc

The past is gone. Football has moved on from these types, they would not get anywhere near top flight football these days.

Errrr, no it hasn't captain smug! Clubs always need a ball winner. Maybe with more finesse but middle of the park control will always be key. It's just how you go about it. If you spill control or pass like England, a player fired up & determined, sticking a keen foot in & making a last ditch interception is a great asset of a midfielder. Or has that changed too? Patronising goon!